As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me pick a charcoal grill! (solved)

RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so I'm in the market for a new Weber grill. I'm pretty sure I want the "One-Touch Gold" but I'm not sure what size. It comes in an 18.5 inch or 22.5 inch diameter. For the most part, it'll just be me and the wife using it, and I'm sure we'll be cooking for more people every so often.

I'll be doing the usual grilling, plus some slow cooking and whatnot. It's hard to decide what size I need because I haven't seen both sizes side by side. So tell me what size I want!

RUNN1NGMAN on

• Options
    StuffGuyStuffGuy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Any particular reason why you want a weber?

StuffGuy on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm in the market for a new Weber grill. I'm pretty sure I want the "One-Touch Gold" but I'm not sure what size. It comes in an 18.5 inch or 22.5 inch diameter.
    It also comes in a 26" size ;-)
    For the most part, it'll just be me and the wife using it, and I'm sure we'll be cooking for more people every so often.

I'll be doing the usual grilling, plus some slow cooking and whatnot. It's hard to decide what size I need because I haven't seen both sizes side by side. So tell me what size I want!

I'd say get the 22.5" one. I find 18.5" grills in general to be too small if you're cooking "large" steaks or ribs, and generally insufficient for more than four people unless whatever you're cooking is on the small size (or don't mind spending more time since everything won't fit at once).

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What's the biggest piece of meat you want to cook (whole chickens, pork ribs, full brisket, flat brisket)?

I've the 22.5" and it's pretty versatile . Just smoked a 5lb flat brisket yesterday, and have done 2 beercan chickens on it at once. I'd probably want a barrel smoker to do a full brisket, though you probably could do one on the 22.5" if you cut the point from the flat: it'd be crowded.

The whole kit and kaboodle 22.5" package is nice (with side table, ring, inserts, etc.), but I went with the one touch plus the charcoal inserts (available separately).

I woulda liked to get the 26.75" as I like to cook a lot for guests, but that's something no one stocks and you have to order it. I can do without as I'll likely get a barrel smoker anyways.

If you're only going to have one charcoal grill you could do worse then getting a kettle grill. Though if you're only cooking for yourself and wife you might look into gas cause you'd be cooking in 10 minutes or less, whereas with charcoal you'll need 20-30 minutes just to have the coals ready.

Djeet on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There's nothing worse than cooking for a party of people when the grill is too small. I'd advise the larger of the two.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    NewtonNewton Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I bought the smaller one and have regretted it many times since. It is fine if all you are doing is stuff like burgers, hot dogs or boneless chicken because they are all done over a single level fire. If you are going to be doing larger pieces of meat or anything that will require two level fires or double banked fire, you'll run out of room pretty quickly on the 18" model.

Newton on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Newton wrote: »
    I bought the smaller one and have regretted it many times since. It is fine if all you are doing is stuff like burgers, hot dogs or boneless chicken because they are all done over a single level fire. If you are going to be doing larger pieces of meat or anything that will require two level fires or double banked fire, you'll run out of room pretty quickly on the 18" model.

Thanks Newton and everyone else. I did some more research and it appears that the 18.5" grill won't cover a whole chicken completely, which is pretty much a dealbreaker for me because I love some roast chicken. I'm gonna say this is solved.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN, I demand your tips on grilling a whole chicken.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yea definitely get the biggest grill you can afford and fit in the backyard

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Beer can chicken on a grill is fantastic
    http://www.cookingnook.com/beer-can-chicken.html

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Weretaco wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Beer can chicken on a grill is fantastic
    http://www.cookingnook.com/beer-can-chicken.html

Yes, that is what I'm talkin' bout! Mmmmmm.

RUNN1NGMAN on