As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A bit of Blogger help?

multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Does anyone know if there's a way to make a Blogger post so that just the title of the post is visible, and readers have to click on it to see the rest? Kinda like a Livejournal cut tag? I's appreciate help, thanks.

multimoog on

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Okay, I found something here which says to enter some code in between the <style> tags on my style sheet... but I don't think the template I'm using has any <style> tags?

I'm super confused. Does anyone have any experience using Blogger?

multimoog on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    What template are you using? If it doesn't have style tags at the top, it is probably because it is linking to an external style sheet.

Here's a quick breakdown of the different methods that can be used to add style sheets to an HTML document.

If your template uses an external style sheet then there should be a line in the head somewhere something like <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="mystyle.css" />. I'd recommend putting the <style>...</style> tags after this* and then add the conditional CSS code into that.

*This might not be essential in this instance, but styles are inherited and if you're ever in a situation where you are linking to and external style sheet and then putting an internal style sheet into the HTML file it is probably because you want styles that are localised and unique to that page and therefore they may need to override some styles already declared in the external style sheet. Putting the internal style sheet after the external style sheet ensures that all the styles are inherited from the external sheet and then the local styles are added to/overwrite the external styles.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for the tip, but I'm know absolutely nothing about CSS and would basically need a step-by-step, really thorough tutorial (preferably with pictures). Unfortunately, Blogger's help documents assume you're at least moderately familiar with CSS, and even then seem to have a lot of missing information. I don't really have the time, patience or technical ability to learn CSS just to have hidden text in a post, I'd have better luck building a website from scratch with basic HTML, or using something simpler like LiveJournal.

multimoog on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    multimoog wrote: »
    I don't really have the time, patience or technical ability to learn CSS

Actually, you probably do but just don't realise it. It's not as difficult as it looks.

Szechuanosaurus on