As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Car Problems

histronichistronic Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
The coil spring on a friend's 1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass snapped apart and punctured the tire on the front passenger side of the car. I'm pretty good with cars, but I've never replaced a coil spring before, are they easy to replace? Does anyone know of any good websites with car repairing tips or should I just have her get the Hayne's Repair Manual for the car and go from there? If anyone has any advice or knows anything about replacing coil springs, thanks in advance.

WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
PSN: rlinkmanl
histronic on

• Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Springs are difficult. Generally you have to rent a spring compressor in order to squash the thing down enough to fit back on. These things are kinda dangerous, because the springs are really strong and put a fuckton of pressure on the compressor. If it fails, it will fail spectacularly and eject bits and pieces like shrapnel.

I've done a fair amount of car work - alternators, water pumps, breaks and the like. I personally would probably pass on this.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If the spring broke you'll also want to check out the strut. I've assisted in installing rear coilovers and it was a PiTA. You'll need a Saturday, jack stands, jack, normal automotive tools but also a spring compressor, and 2 people of average or better strength. Check out a Haynes or a Chiltons to see if you want to move forward or just get it repaired (I'd go with a specialized shop or a Brake Check over the dealership).

Djeet on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This is not a job I would recommend as something to learn while you go; while it's not incredibly difficult, it is rather easy to make a mistake that can easily kill you. I'd take it to a mechanic.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    if you want to save some cash, and you have a 2nd car handy, you can remove the entire strut assembly from your car and bring it to a shop to change the springs

keep in mind that it'll be hard as hell to get the bottom strut bolts off (they've been rusting in place for 10 years), so i'd get replacements for them before you start (AFAIK they're dealer items) just in case you snap one while beating on it

also, you'll have to get an alignment after you're done or your new tires will wear badly

illig on
  • Options
    histronichistronic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow, sounds pretty serious, thanks for all the advice guys, I'll just tell her to take it to a mechanic then.

histronic on
    WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl