As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DS recommend: FF4 or DQ 4 or something else?

The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
Figured I'd use this forum as a sounding board.

So I'm almost done Chrono Trigger DS (done as in "gotten all the endings") and I freaking love it. But when I finish it, I'm going to need another good classic RPG to fill the gap.

I've been thinking about either Final Fantasy 4 as it's also Square, or Dragon Quest 4 as it's both Square and the same artist as Chrono Trigger (IIRC).

Now, some history on me. I own Final Fantasy 3 DS, but never finished it, as I found the story and characters dull. I still got to the final dungeon, but quit when I wasn't willing to grind what probably would have been another ten levels just to beat it (It had a really unfair, difficult design in regards to both saving the game and restocking items.) On top of that the endgame enemies were WAY harder than the difficulty curve the rest of the game had going.

So anyway, which of those two do you guys think is better? They both cost the same at my local outlets around here.

Also, how grind-heavy are they? I hate excessive level grinding, and I liked Chrono Trigger for the minimal amounts necessary.

I also kind of prefer sprites to 3D, but if FF4's good enough I can overlook it.

FINALLY, if there's another strong Chrono Trigger-esque option out there, by all means throw it in too.

The Last Gent on

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I feel like Dragon Quest has always been more about grinding than Final Fantasy, but for some reason it's not annoying. I think it's because the enemies have so much more personality.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dragon Quest is synonymous with grindfest as far as I know. I've only played 1 and 2.

Final Fantasy is much more accessible.

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It depends on your definition of grindy in determining if Dragon Quest is a grindfest. If you don't run from any encounters and are skillful in your magic usage/team switching/general strategy you don't have grind. A lot of people on this forum seem to equate grinding with not running away though, so it depends on your outlook. I've never felt playing any Dragon Quest game was tedious (I've played 1,2,4, and 5).

I can't really speak for FFIV DS but all prior versions of it were significantly easier than any Dragon Quest game I've played. With the amped up difficulty of DS I'm not sure how it compares with DQ.

If you want to dig into GBA games I really liked Golden Sun which has the honor of not being available on any non-portable platform.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you need to grind in either game you suck.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FF4 is really damn good. The first really STRONG FF, with a decent story and shit.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just want to say: I am a GIGANTIC fan of FFIV, but I think that the DS port just makes me shudder. The forced 3D graphics did not sit well with me.

DQIV, on the other hand, was a fantastic game and you should get it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Just want to say: I am a GIGANTIC fan of FFIV, but I think that the DS port just makes me shudder. The forced 3D graphics did not sit well with me.

Holy shit. I actually disagree with urahonky for once o_O

I thought FFIV DS was amazing. The 3d graphics looked nice and the voice acting was fairly good for a handheld game imo.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FF4DS is great. It's also very difficult, moreso than the Japanese version - the attack->attack->attack wins from other Final Fantasies are gone, you have to strategize and use your abilities properly. In random encounters. No grinding required though.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »

I thought FFIV DS was amazing. The 3d graphics looked nice and the voice acting was fairly good for a handheld game imo.

Oh don't get me wrong. I fucking love FFIV and I would have pushed through, but... I just don't like the 3D they used for it. I don't know what it was. The pseudo 3D they used in DQIV would have fit MUCH better for FFIV than what they used.

However, OP, if you've not played FFIV I'd be more inclined to say you should pick that up.

urahonky on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Oh don't get me wrong. I fucking love FFIV and I would have pushed through, but... I just don't like the 3D they used for it. I don't know what it was. The pseudo 3D they used in DQIV would have fit MUCH better for FFIV than what they used.

However, OP, if you've not played FFIV I'd be more inclined to say you should pick that up.

Off-topic, but thanks for the Blue dragon recommendation. It's been great. Halfway through the third disc right now.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DQ4 DS is really awesome. The reason is because the best part of any RPG is the beginning; you progress quickly, gaining lots of levels and buying new equipment, and the story is not mired in quasi-emotional save-the-world junk just yet. In DQ4 you get to do this five times, restarting from the viewpoint of different characters all around the world. They have their own individual conflicts that work into the main story of the lead character in the final chapter. Additionally it is much less of a grindfest than the first few DQs - just as FF hit its stride around 4, DQ greatly improved as well. Certainly there are some tough fights that you'll need to level up for but that's to be expected.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just traded DQ4 DS for FF4 DS. I regret nothing. I loved Dragon Warrior 4 for the NES back in the day, but the DS version felt dumbed down thanks to shorter dungeons & easier enemies. Also, the idea of having different dialects for each kingdom sounded cool to me in theory (as someone who teaches English as a Second language & is fluent in Chinese), but in practice, it didn't work. Finally, all of the new content is in the post game and I just lost interest before I reached it.

FF4 DS on the other hand, actually increased the difficulty by giving the enemies new abilities and better stats which has made the game much more interesting to me as someone who has already beaten the original several times. New content is sprinkled throughout the game (I love getting a new character & finding out how they changed their abilities from the original) & all in all, I'm enjoying it a lot more. I'll admit that the visual style wasn't my thing at first, but it's grown on me.

With all that said, most of my complaints with DQ4 center around me having played the original. If you're coming to the game fresh, you'd probably enjoy it a lot more than I did.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FF4, DQ 4, DQ 5 are all solid RPG choices.

I like the art in FF4 DS. The retouched music is good, the VA is good, the expanded story is good, Macros are awesome, higher difficulty is awesome.

DQ 4 is good. I love the chapter system.

DQ 5 is even better.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I did just recommend DQ4 DS and I still do, but I own both and FF4 does a lot of things right as well. It really pushes the DS's graphics like nothing else. Unlike many people here I think the 3D looks great and have no complaints.

Still enjoy DQ4 a lot more though. The other thing it has going for it is exploration, FF4 always feels like it's on a straight track. While DQ4 holds your hand quite a bit as well, you encounter a lot more situations that feel off the beaten path. The world is larger and more interesting.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Off-topic, but thanks for the Blue dragon recommendation. It's been great. Halfway through the third disc right now.

The ending to that game is the best part. Glad you enjoyed it though. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm still playing through FF4, I love it. I started DQ4, but knowing that I'm going to be jumping around with different characters has made it so I dont care very much about the first guy you control, so I havent felt like playing it.

Jishian on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Jishian wrote: »
    I'm still playing through FF4, I love it. I started DQ4, but knowing that I'm going to be jumping around with different characters has made it so I dont care very much about the first guy you control, so I havent felt like playing it.

You'll want to improve him anyway because in the end you use everyone else.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks so far, keep the opinions coming. Right now I'm still pretty thoroughly divided, though, based on all that.:P

If I could justify the cost I'd honestly get both.

Just to properly explain what I consider grinding:

I almost never run from enemy encounters in RPGs as I know I need the experience.

What I count as grinding is when the next area/boss/ whatever is so much more difficult that you then have to spend a long period of time running around the previous area beating up the same 5 dudes over and over again until you're levelled enough to progress. I didn't have to do that very much in Chrono Trigger.

That's what I consider grinding. Can I get a definitive opinion on which game has less?

In addition to the other good things?

The Last Gent on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh jeez, these are both great games.

Both games have a decent amount of grinding, I'd say. One important difference is that in DQIV, you have to grind for money a lot to buy good equipment, which doesn't happen as much in FFIV, if I recall. Both are somewhat difficult games as far as recent RPGs are concerned (FFIV is probably a little harder), but they're both really rewarding, also, with interesting narratives and very nice presentation. You can't really go wrong with either, and as far as difficulty and grinding, they're both pretty close, so I wouldn't make a purchasing decision based on that. For my money, I'd probably say FFIV, as the updated graphics, voice acting, and CG sequences are really nice, but you really can't lose here.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I suggest going with DQ. Both 4 and 5 are great games, 9and the upcoming 9 looks to top them both).

I wanted to love FF4DS, I really did, but the horrible difficulty (that left me going to an inn after what seemed like every battle), and the suddenly extremely stingy money drop rate, plus poorly planned changes, left me cold to the game.

Matthew on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    FF4 DS is a lot harder than DQ4 DS so if you want something that you can rush through with a minimal amount of grinding, pick DQ4. If you want a challenge, pick FF4.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FF4DS is hard but it's never impossible if you fight the fights, if you're really getting your ass kicked it's always because you could be doing something better. Grinding is only necessary if you want a free ride.

Zek on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Unless you have an uncompromising urge to get the newest and best equipment for every single character you should not have to grind at all in DQ4. You'll have to figure out which characters work best with each other in any given area but I find that part of the charm.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Zeromus wrote: »

Both games have a decent amount of grinding.

They don't have any.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    They have grinding if thats how people prefer to play them.

FF4 added a nice feature - Auto battle. You can set specific commands to be carried out, and you can toggle this mode with the X button, so it helps if its a random fight you can win no problem and you just want to get somewhere without mashing the attack button.

However there are a LOT more battles where you have to actually use spells like protect and shell and use tactics. It's more involved than the old version of FF4, which is good and bad.

Jishian on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    If you need to grind in either game you suck.

Both games have a decent amount of grinding.

They don't have any.

Okay, now that we've confirmed that you're a mouth-breathing prick that really, really wants us to know that you are so awesome at these handheld role playing games that you most certainly don't need to grind (ever), I'd like to submit that, for the average gamer, particularly one that is apparently not entirely accustomed to this style of game, both FF4 and DQ4 are pretty challenging and will, in all likelihood, require that some time be spent making your characters stronger or accumulating currency with which to purchase better equipment in an effort to facilitate progress.

Like. I'm not entirely sure what your definition of grinding is. FF4 is hard, and though I guess some very experienced players that know the game inside and out could probably move through without taking extra time to level, it's a fair enough assumption that for many that won't be the case. I know from a recent playthrough of DQ4 that even I, a relatively seasoned RPG player, occasionally had to take some time to level my characters to move forward.

So. Until you actually want to justify your statements rather than just excrete them onto the readers of this thread (the majority of whom probably couldn't give a shit), perhaps we'd be better off without you.

Perhaps.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Having played both the GBA and DS versions of FFIV, I have to say, I didn't enjoy the changes made to the system. Sure, there is more of a "challenge", but it really amounts to casting Slow on every boss as opposed to not casting Slow on any boss. It still doesn't feel particularly strategic. And harder isn't necessarily better. Aside from the random battles often being cheap, it feels a lot more sluggish. I could probably beat the GBA version in one sitting, but the DS version feels like a chore to play. Also, the Augment system is cool in theory, but if you have knowledge of the game's progression, it requires counter-intuitive thinking to exploit and get the really interesting ones.

I can't speak for DQIV.

You said you're looking for classic RPGs, but if you ever get in the mood for something a little more experimental, make sure you pick up The World Ends With You. It's the best JRPG on the system, Chrono Trigger included.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    (bitter, annoying rant).

All grinding does is remove fun from the game by tediously repeating the same action over and over again and is not only unneeded, but actually harmful to the game itself.

"Grinding" is the biggest boogyman that exists in any RPG because thanks to years of misunderstanding and misinformation people have gotten it into their heads that it's required.

The fact that people take difficulty in RPGs to mean "You'll have to spend hours leveling up" is a really bad thing.

I'm sorry if trying to point out this is wrong offends you in some horrible manner but you know what, I don't really care.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Okay, so far, I'm hearing that DQ 4 is the less grind-y of the two. That and I'm kind of more partial to sprites versus the chibi-3d style the DS ff's are getting. Not that I hate that style, I just kind of prefer sprites thanks to Chrono Trigger.

Keep going.

The Last Gent on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As someone who loved both games in their original formats and in their DS incarnations, I will say that FFIV DS is definitely the tougher of the two games, and while you can get about 90 percent of the way through FFIV DS without any real honest-to-goodness grinding, the final dungeon is leaps and bounds more difficult than anything else in the game and honestly broke me down with frustration, and I'm a pretty big FFIV fanboy. They ratched up the difficulty a lot, which is great if you're looking for a challenge, but it was a little too much of a cheap-death situation with the fucking blue and red dragons. It's probably a lot easier if you really plan out and abuse Augments, but that whole system just kind of unhinged the game, IMO. I really dig the art style and retranslation, but the game itself just left a bad taste in my mouth at the end, which sucks because I loved it right up until the last dungeon. I'll still go back to it and try it again later, though.

DQIV is fairly easy throughout, barring spots where you level your characters a bit when they're brand-new and maybe one or two fights in Chapter 5. It's simplistic and charming, and I love it for pretty much all of the reasons Sporky outlined on the first page. I think if you really dug Chrono Trigger, go for Dragon Quest IV first; I think it has more of the whimsical "Let's go on an adventure!" fairy tale aspect that Chrono Trigger always seems to give me, as opposed to FFIV, which is Serious Business from the get-go.

Alternatively, you can also check out DQV DS and FFVI GBA; the games really don't have any mandatory chronology.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I absolutely loved the FF4 remake on the DS, the whole way through. It was certainly tough, but the hardest battles were still enjoyable to me. I do know people who have gotten frustrated at the game, though. I didn't have to grind to beat the final dungeon, although I devised a pretty hilarious strategy to beat the final boss.

I didn't get all that far in DQ4. I dunno what it was, but after the (extremely awesome) third chapter, I pretty much completely lost all interest. Don't take it as a big fault to the game, though. I probably just got distracted by another game.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    (bitter, annoying rant).

All grinding does is remove fun from the game by tediously repeating the same action over and over again and is not only unneeded, but actually harmful to the game itself.

"Grinding" is the biggest boogyman that exists in any RPG because thanks to years of misunderstanding and misinformation people have gotten it into their heads that it's required.

The fact that people take difficulty in RPGs to mean "You'll have to spend hours leveling up" is a really bad thing.

I'm sorry if trying to point out this is wrong offends you in some horrible manner but you know what, I don't really care.

Basically you are just making unhelpful remarks about something you apparently don't understand. Zeromus was probably a bit harsh, but you really don't know what you're talking about.

Having played FF4 on the SNES and the GBA, I know where I'm going, so I dont need to explore or wander around lost at all like some players would. So obviously I run into less random battles, which means less XP, which means I am underleveled for some fights. I occasionally would run into a pair of enemies that would cast blaze. Two blazes at the start of the fight every time, only one of my characters could survive that. It has nothing to do with sucking or skill and everything to do with being the right level for the area.

I had to "grind" a bit to beat the last boss I fought. MAYBE 15 minutes of exploring a level and getting into battles got my characters close to 3 levels each. This was sufficient to beat the boss I was having trouble with.

My friend who never played FF4 had to grind a bit, he sat down for a half hour, got excalibur, leveled up a bit, and now he's enjoying the game again since his characters arent being wiped out as quickly as they were before. So yes, there is grinding, no grinding does not have to take hours and suck to still be considered grinding.

Jishian on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sometimes it's good to grind. If it really only took skill as some people keep spouting about, then their would be no "Level" at all in these games.

Matthew on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There is nothing Pata can say to convince me that not once did he have to go back to the previous town to heal up and that he always had enough money for all the best gear. There are very few games I can think of that literally have no grinding. Grandia 2, for instance. You can just keep walking onwards in that game. But Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest? Gimme a break, it's in there.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LlyranorLlyranor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I own Final Fantasy 3 DS, but never finished it, as I found the story and characters dull
    Based on this, I'd easily recommend FF4 for you.

DQ4 can be a charming game, but your party members have absolutely no personality at all, except for maybe the merchant guy. Zero, none. They're blank states that you're not even allowed to customize. the localized DQ4 also doesn't include party talk, a feature that would have provided significantly improved characterization of your party. Alas, S-E thought it was a good idea to remove it.

DQ5, on the other hand, has party talk, and some would say that it has the best story in the DQ series. I can't attest to it personally, though, having not playing it.

I will, however, highly recommend FF4. I will also say that I enjoy the combat system in FF4 a lot more than I did in DQ4. DQ4's advantage is that the battles finish faster, though.

Llyranor on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    if you can, get DQ 5.
    I think it's one of the best. great story telling here.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Llyranor wrote: »
    I own Final Fantasy 3 DS, but never finished it, as I found the story and characters dull
    Based on this, I'd easily recommend FF4 for you.

DQ4 can be a charming game, but your party members have absolutely no personality at all, except for maybe the merchant guy. Zero, none. They're blank states that you're not even allowed to customize. the localized DQ4 also doesn't include party talk, a feature that would have provided significantly improved characterization of your party. Alas, S-E thought it was a good idea to remove it.

DQ5, on the other hand, has party talk, and some would say that it has the best story in the DQ series. I can't attest to it personally, though, having not playing it.

I will, however, highly recommend FF4. I will also say that I enjoy the combat system in FF4 a lot more than I did in DQ4. DQ4's advantage is that the battles finish faster, though.

Are you serious? Part of what I love about DQ4 is how much personality all of the characters have, even if they're not overly complex. :?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The DQ4 character art is brimming with personality. Unfortunately the main characters (with the exception of Taloon/Tornuko) each only end up with maybe 3 lines of dialogue in the entire game which makes it really hard for any of that personality to come through.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Okay, I think Lunker convinced me to get DQ4, simply because it sounds from him like FF4 has the same insanely-unfair final dungeon. Plus someone else made a thematic connection between DQ4 and Chrono Trigger's mood.

I think I'll do DQ4 first, thanks for the opinions.

Note: I'll do FF4 eventually, just not first.

The Last Gent on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FF4 doesn't have the same ridiculously unfair dungeon.

It's a lot tougher actually.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576