As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Parents influencing children to be racist. Should they be able to maintain custody?

124»

• Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Cat wrote: »
    The Hindu symbol is a mirror-reversal of the swastika, actually.

Which is still a Hindu symbol. There are two swastika symbols which are mirror opposites of one another.
    Delzhand wrote: »
    There's a large amount of "being offended on behalf of others" thought piggybacking in play here. If my wife bought a jacket with a swastika patch (in addition to other hindu symbology), would it offend me in the slightest? Not at all. But I'd still probably suggest she not wear it out, because it's too hard to defend.

It really depends on the culture you're in. I mean, if you and your friends wear cloth diapers and carry a giant wooden penis through the streets, people are gonna think, at best, that you're a pervert. It doesn't matter that a giant wooden penis is a symbol of fertility in another culture, and carrying one around in diapers is pretty normal during certain festivals.

Edit: That was a terrible example. I just mean that cultures interpret symbols differently, so I don't necessarily think Western disgust towards the swastika is actually "being offended on behalf of others." It just means that the swastika is interpreted as a symbol of the Nazis, genocide and a terrible war, not as a religious Hindu symbol.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Cat wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »
    We should officially update the Nazi swastika with a goatee so we can tell which is the bad one and which is the Hindu one.

One is clockwise, the other isn't.

Edit: Nevermind, I was thinking of the buddhist one (manji)

Edit Again: and I guess counter/clockwise isn't really used, since it is ambiguous.

Yeah, the clockwise/counterclockwise thing is a myth, it can go either way.

Does it even matter? Symbols change meaning over time. Anyone who makes a swastika knows exactly how it would be interpreted, and pretending otherwise just makes them look more idiotic then before.
    So you're saying India is full of Nazis? Because they use the Swastika in many buildings and temples as a motif.
    The Hindu symbol is a mirror-reversal of the swastika, actually.
    That's actually something of a myth. The direction isn't actually all that important.

Fencingsax on
  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The thread isn't about the article in the OP, it's about the broader question in the thread title. No one is saying "children who are seriously abused by their parents should not be taken away from them", the issue is whether or not the racism alone should result in government intervention.

Yeah, I couldn't think of a way to phrase(and fit) the way I really wanted to ask a question in the thread title more akin to if it's acceptable for parents to maintain custody when they present a racist environment while influencing the children to be racist. Going beyond that, the issue can develop even more as noted with this case the living environment of racist parents has caused outside physical manifestations such as shaving the childrens heads, writing/drawing stuff on them, teaching them or at the very least explaining to them criminal violent behaviour.

It's not simply just telling their kids black people suck. Racism, especially when raising children can become a very diverse issue beyond simply freedom of speech, at least in my opinion for that last part.

Lucid on