As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

free ringtones?

CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed.TejasRegistered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I know there was a website around that allowed you to upload an mp3 and they'd send it to your phone via text. Anyone know of any websites that still do this?

Crayon on

• Options
    GraydeathGraydeath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I used to use phonezoo.com and it worked okay.

Graydeath on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Can you not just put it on your phone through a USB cable?

Tav on
  • Options
    Pinch-a-LoafPinch-a-Loaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Last time I checked myxertones.com allowed you to do that.

Pinch-a-Loaf on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just grab a USB for 5$ on ebay and download audacity to make your own. It's a happy time.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, myxer was it. Thanks a ton.

Crayon on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Crashtard wrote: »
    Just grab a USB for 5$ on ebay and download audacity to make your own. It's a happy time.

Depending on the phone, it's not always that simple.

Sony Ericsson, for example, requires a special ringtone format and any MP3s you load on your phone cannot be used for ringtones. The software is freely available on their site, but it's a bit of a song and dance.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    KatoKato Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok. I hope I don't hijack this thread at all, but I have an LG Banter. I have a microSD card with the USB bit to plug in to the pc, but my netbook has bluetooth as well as the phone. When I connect them up and use my netbook to explore the phone I can see two music folders. One of them is for music that I put on it. It supports mp3's. The other folder is for ringtones. When I view it, it is empty. I believe I had tried to put an mp3 in there, but when I go through the phone and try to select a ringtone, it does not see the file that I add.

Anyone know of a way to get my Banter to allow me to add mp3's to it so the phone accepts them as ringtones?

Kato on
    Signature??
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Figgy wrote: »

Sony Ericsson, for example, requires a special ringtone format and any MP3s you load on your phone cannot be used for ringtones. The software is freely available on their site, but it's a bit of a song and dance.

I don't know about other Sony Ericsson models, but the W980 lets you use MP3s as ring-tones.

Burnage on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

That's weird. One of my friends has an ericsson through att and uses mp3's as ringtones. Maybe it just depends on the provider?

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Possibly. I'm going by my old sony phone. Maybe they got rid of that, since they provided the software to convert it anyway on their site.

And about the LG Banter, google has tons of hits about people trying to do what you're doing.

Figgy on
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kato wrote: »
    Ok. I hope I don't hijack this thread at all, but I have an LG Banter. I have a microSD card with the USB bit to plug in to the pc, but my netbook has bluetooth as well as the phone. When I connect them up and use my netbook to explore the phone I can see two music folders. One of them is for music that I put on it. It supports mp3's. The other folder is for ringtones. When I view it, it is empty. I believe I had tried to put an mp3 in there, but when I go through the phone and try to select a ringtone, it does not see the file that I add.

Anyone know of a way to get my Banter to allow me to add mp3's to it so the phone accepts them as ringtones?

I had a similar problem with my new Sony phone, and eventually got hold of a DRM packager through Sony Ericsson's own site that let me use anything i wanted as a ring tone. I don't know if it's legal or not, so I'll leave it at that.

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    Kato wrote: »

I had a similar problem with my new Sony phone, and eventually got hold of a DRM packager through Sony Ericsson's own site that let me use anything i wanted as a ring tone. I don't know if it's legal or not, so I'll leave it at that.
    Shouldn't be anything illegal about it. The DRM (other than a few cases) is an open standard that you can get the specs for from the group the determined them. I suppose there's a slim chance that using Sony Ericsson's software to do it could be against the TOS, but it's doubtful if they made it publicly available on their website.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    AlfaBoxAlfaBox Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    I use http://makeownringtone.com for the same purpose. It's free.

AlfaBox on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I used to have one of their w580i, which isn't told old and is still sold in stores and I also had to go through a few hoops to get my custom ringtones on there.

Dixon on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Not true at all!
    I have mp3s set as ringtones on my w580i and w660i.
    They are unlocked and debranded with OEM firmware though so it may be different if you're bound by service provider firmware. It's a cheap and easy fix if you want to debrand it though; any shfty looking cellphone shop should do it for $15 max.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So unlocking your phone isn't a song and dance?

I said it's possible, but it's usually a bit of a pain to set up.

Figgy on
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Unlocking =/= Debranding, but yeah.

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So unlocking your phone isn't a song and dance?

I said it's possible, but it's usually a bit of a pain to set up.

Depends where you live.
    It's easy for me since I live in a largely asian populated metropolitan area.
    The one thing is you may get ripped off if you don't know how much it should cost.
    DO NOT pay more than $15-20. You are getting screwed.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.