As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Test" pop-up from explorer.exe

MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
I walked away from my PC for a bit and this window had popped up. I didn't get to see it happen so I don't have too many details except for what it looks like:

testpopup.jpg

I still have it open if there is something else I can do to check its origins, all I know is that it's related to the explorer.exe process. The "Messenger" service is disabled so I am not sure where else this could have come from, I am not seeing any bizarre new processes started either. Any ideas what I should do now?

e3ORbfq.png
Mugenmidget on

• Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Uh, did you do a virus/malware scan?

The "Messenger" service is disabled so I am not sure where else this could have come from

Derp derp derp, not everything like this is messenger related. Any program, any virus could throw a dialog box like this. I'm sure you know that, but I'm just reinforcing, this totally looks like someone sending a test message through a spyware/virus botnet. So run a virus/malware scan.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hm, alright, I'm already running scans with GMER, Avast, checking things with HijackThis, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Sorry about the "Messenger" comment, I was just trying to cover as much ground as I could to make it easier for others to find a solution.

I haven't found anything suspicious yet, but I did try closing the window, and it would keep popping up. So it definitely seems like malware. It's gone after I rebooted from a scan, but that doesn't really make me feel any better. Besides the programs I have mentioned, are there other things I should be scanning with? Or anywhere specific I should look?

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Process Explorer might give you some more info.

There's also Process Monitor.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ah, thank you NailbunnyPD. I wish I had used those before I rebooted but I'll be ready for the next thing that comes along, at least (although I hope that doesn't happen).

I seriously can't find anything unusual scanning with the applications I mentioned in my post before this. Is there another good approach or piece of software that might help me out? I'm about to try a NOD32 trial and see if it finds anything.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png