As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So, EGM is making a comeback

redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
EGMLOGO-NEW2.jpg
“ELECTRONIC GAMING MONTHLY” FOUNDER
EXECUTES CONTRACT TO ACQUIRE PRINT AND ONLINE
PUBLISHING RIGHTS TO EGM MAGAZINE

BEVERLY HILLS, CA, May 29, 2009 — Steve Harris, founder of “Electronic Gaming Monthly” magazine, announced today that he has entered into an agreement with Ziff Davis Media to re-acquire certain assets, including trademarks and publishing rights, with plans to re-launch EGM in the second half of 2009.

“The re-launch of Electronic Gaming Monthly represents a welcome opportunity to continue delivering quality content to gaming enthusiasts,” said Harris. “I feel honored to once again be associated with this respected magazine. The talented writers and designers who built upon EGM’s original vision have left behind a publication that is uniquely positioned to be successful.”

“Electronic Gaming Monthly is and always has been one of the most respected publications among the gaming enthusiast community,” said Jason Young, CEO, Ziff Davis Media Inc. “We are pleased that EGM is now in the hands of its original creator, Steve Harris, and wish him and the publication the best of success in the future.”

“We have exciting plans for the evolution of what will once again be a leading independent voice for the gaming community,” Harris continued. “The twenty year success of the EGM brand has always been built upon a commitment to its readers who I believe will enthusiastically embrace the changes we are planning to introduce.”

Additional details and future announcements will be made during the upcoming E3 expo and posted on the magazine’s official website at www.EGMNOW.com or via the official EGM Twitter account at www.twitter.com/EGMNOW.

Wow. So, thoughts?

I got all the info from Ryan Odonnell's Twitter.

bYf6vNQ.png
Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
[3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
redfield85 on

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    That's...almost interesting.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • akuteakute Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This was my favorite magazine. I have followed it since I was a wee lad.

I really liked the old-school EGM more than the newer EGM.

I wasn't a fan of the LETTER RATINGS system. Just didn't work for me.

I love the writers though. My heart broke when I heard that EGM would be no more.

Will the resurrection be a success? Or will it be a dark, evil abomination, a la Pet Cemetary EGM. Evil rarr.

akute on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    this is only excellent if some of the former staff is involved. I have no desire to see some shitty halfass gaming magazine with the egm logo on it

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Eh, I might give them another shot if it looks like they take things in an interesting direction. I've grown fond of 1up and ex-EGM staff podcasts and such.

Darlan on
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I only bought EGM so I could read the Hsu and Chan comic in the back

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Good news, I enjoyed EGM quite a bit, however if they want to be taken more seriously, they need to really beef up the content of the magazine. Devoting half of the mag to ads might be great for financing but it makes it a pain in the ass to read.

Halfmex on
  • akuteakute Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I liked the Greg guy(?) from Canada, who got DEPORTED BACK, who would review like all the racing games.

Then the was Milkman who went to Unofficial Xbox Mag. He is pretty cool.

Dan "Shoe" Hsu deserves to be leader of his men.

And Shane Bettenhausen is just a weird guy that I can't help but savor all the text he puts into the magazines. Even if sometimes I think I can derrive more facts by listening to a guy tripping on acid talk about the meaning of the Universe.

akute on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So...do I need to subscribe all over again?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    So...do I need to subscribe all over again?

I also need an answer for this.

I would pay attention to Ryan O'Donnell's twitter to see if he has anything to say about this (meaning if he or anyone else is going back). Although, E3 is just about here so he probably doesn't care about this at the moment.

So, my question is do you all think they will hire brand new writers or will they try to get some/most/all previous writers back?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    No Dan Hsu, and I can't say I'd read the magazine.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Interesting idea, but it's difficult to imagine what a new print magazine can offer. It will probably sell less than what it did at the end of the Ziff Davis run.

Saddler on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Bring back Expert Gamer.

Shogun on
  • slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The only reason I had a subscription was because it was free. For about 4 years until EGM went belly-up, then the subscription changed to some other stupid magazine that also went belly-up, and now I think I have about a full year left on Computer World. Before that, I had a subscription from 1989 to about 1998 or so.

I'm one of those bitter people that remember EGM going from a happy, funny mag in 89 or so to the 600+ page behemoths in the early to mid 90s (85% of which were ads) to the more modern iterations that had 6 pages of ads before you got to the front cover of the magazine. The first page with actual content on it (the table of contents) was on page 26.

Seriously, when it gets to that point, I think it may be best to just let that old dog finally lay down and die. There's really no market for the traditional American style of video game magazines in an age where people interested in your content can get better coverage and content immediately from their cell phone.

slurpeepoop on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sometimes the dead should stay dead.

This is probably one of those times. Pretty terrible time for any sort of journalism, especially if it is as bad as EGM's was in it's decline.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • OperatorCOperatorC Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    Considering the state of press/journalism, especially that of the paper variety, I don't see this coming back as anything more than a web-only outlet, or even a monthly released digital magazine (e-zine is what they call them, I think?)

My interest depends entirely on who's on board.

OperatorC on

OperatorC.jpg
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    oh yay another glorified consumer catalog is going back into an obsolete medium

Sam on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    tsplitter wrote: »
    I only bought EGM so I could read the Hsu and Chan comic in the back

emnmnme on
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sushi-X,will he return?

Seriously though. If its the 400 page monster I used to love so much i'll get it in a heartbeat. If its the 80 page mag of recent years i'll pass.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    EGM was a pretty good mag but I only subscribed because it was free. Why pay money for something when you can get the info much faster and for free from the internet?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    EGM was a pretty good mag but I only subscribed because it was free. Why pay money for something when you can get the info much faster and for free from the internet?

The shitter...

I'm glad EGM is back, for that very reason.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
    edited May 2009
    eternalbl wrote: »
    The shitter...

My iPod can access the internet, so not really.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    The shitter...

I hope your nickname isn't butterfingers.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
    edited May 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    The shitter...

I hope your nickname isn't butterfingers.
    If I dropped my iPod, it'd land on the floor. It's not like I clutch it to allow my tiny dick to rest on it.

That's what the DSi is for,

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Shogun wrote: »
    Bring back Expert Gamer.
    I just want Ultra Game Players to be a magazine again.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Don't call it a comeback. EGM's been here for years.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Don't call it a comeback. EGM's been dead for years.

Fix'd for you there. Print media, especially where internet/tech subculture is concerned is going the way of the dino. The number one issue with it is cost. It doesn't make sense to keep making a printed magazine when the demand is not there for it.

I see how Scientific American / Popular Mechanics keeps going because there is a readership and access there that's not so easily available. Some different view points or tech I may not of been exposed to.

The clear fact that the hype machine essentially negates gaming magazines is the main point here. We have the internet to take the place of a big chunk of printed materials now.

They can try and restart it and throw wads of cash away but I believe they are foolish for trying and I wish them luck.

Viscountalpha on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Don't call it a comeback. EGM's been dead for years.

Fix'd for you there. Print media, especially where internet/tech subculture is concerned is going the way of the dino. The number one issue with it is cost. It doesn't make sense to keep making a printed magazine when the demand is not there for it.

I see how Scientific American / Popular Mechanics keeps going because there is a readership and access there that's not so easily available. Some different view points or tech I may not of been exposed to.

The clear fact that the hype machine essentially negates gaming magazines is the main point here. We have the internet to take the place of a big chunk of printed materials now.

They can try and restart it and throw wads of cash away but I believe they are foolish for trying and I wish them luck.
    They rocked other magazines and put fanboys in fear with cheetos sweat and heavy breathing ensued

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Most everyone who worked at EGM already found other jobs, and I don't know if a ton of the people still at Ziff are willing to quit in order to join this dream-project.

It's going to take some smart business tactics, that's for sure.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    James Mielke made a blog post about this, and he answered a question about previous subscriptions in the comments below:
    I have gotten this question quite a few times, and the logical answer is to contact Ziff-Davis about it. Neither I nor the staff of EGM past had any connection with the subscription department which is based in New York. The plan, on ZD's part, was to issue refunds to people who were owed one, which I assume was a large chunk of you, but if you had a free subscription, don't think ZD is going to send you any compensation. I think there was also talk of offering you some PC Mag thing as compensation, but like, different audience, I can't imagine anyone taking that offer.

1UP/UGO has nothing to do with the EGM subscription thing, and I can safely assume that Steve Harris only bought the rights to the IP and logos, not the very large and irritated owed-subscription fanbase. You are all understandably upset about however much money you committed to the cause, and I thank everyone who sought to support us, but trust me when I say that none of the staff walked out with your subscription money. You need to talk to Ziff-Davis about a refund. And then, if you're in the mood, apply that dough to the new EGM, whenever it launches. The new EGM is launching under an entirely new publishing banner, and ZD's old debts and subscriber base shouldn't be Steve's problem.

This is the link to ZD's circ page, but yes, I know that the EGM link gives you an 'expired' pop-up window. I'll see what I can dig up in regards to contact info in the meanwhile.

http://www.zdmcirc.com/service/index.html

SteevL on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    EGM was the only gaming mag that I still read, I'm glad it's coming back.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I hated EGM in the "dying" days. They had a very pretentious tone about them, especially during the letters section, and assumed that all of their readers were children (and also that only kids play games) and it pissed me off.

Coffey on
    76561197967491341.png
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I dunno, I think the only way EGM could work nowadays is if they intertwine the gaming stuff with original content of some kind that you're not gonna find elsewhere. I think they lose if they just stick to news, previews, reviews, etc. because as others have said, I can get all those things from the internet, faster.

I mean, it doesn't help when you go out to the mailbox and see that "oh, the latest Guitar Hero setlist is all in this issue. That'd be great if I hadn't heard that ten+ days ago and heard leaked setlist rumors months ago."

I'd say video game magazines are going the way of the strategy guide.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Omeks wrote: »
    I dunno, I think the only way EGM could work nowadays is if they intertwine the gaming stuff with original content of some kind that you're not gonna find elsewhere. I think they lose if they just stick to news, previews, reviews, etc. because as others have said, I can get all those things from the internet, faster.

I mean, it doesn't help when you go out to the mailbox and see that "oh, the latest Guitar Hero setlist is all in this issue. That'd be great if I hadn't heard that ten+ days ago and heard leaked setlist rumors months ago."

I'd happily pay for a few strategy guides if they cost about half the price. They are so much easier to look at than some massive text file FAQ on a monitor. Harris would do well to recognize this if EGM returns to print form.

Saddler on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Saddler wrote: »
    Omeks wrote: »

I'd happily pay for a few strategy guides if they cost about half the price. They are so much easier to look at than some massive text file FAQ on a monitor. Harris would do well to recognize this if EGM returns to print form.

The news thing is a killer. We're getting E3 news live, and as it happens, on most of these blogging sites. I get far more news online that I ever did in any magazine. They really should focus on areas that not everyone has access to, and delve into new territory that not everyone has thought of. I'm thinking (here comes a list)...

-Interviews with the people that make the games happen, not just the producers/directors. Let's see what goes into creating the game, like creating graphics, music, and all that.
    -Keep going with the profiles on various jobs in the business. I really liked seeing all the different people and positions that help make games happen.
    -Maybe throw in a monthly XNA Community Games developer segment. Let's see what the micro-sized gaming groups are making, and how they do it.
    -Game related stuff, like stuff you can buy. Toys, apparel, razors, all that kind of stuff.
    -Give a reviewer spot to one of the readers. With 1up.com having a direct link to the mag, there are infinite possibilities for people to review games, and get the reader's reaction.

Really, just overall geek it up. You can get game news anywhere, but in depth stuff is a little harder to come by. I want to know what makes the industry live and breathe, not just what's coming out next month, and pretty pre-rendered screenshots of it.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would like to second spookymuffin's idea. I think keeping it real, useful, and unique would be the only way to really make it work. The magazine would have to have inside sources and leaks only privvy to that magazine to really make it worth the $

People will pay for unique content if they can't access it online.

Viscountalpha on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'll check it out, since the original guy behind EGM is taking the reigns.
    Shogun wrote: »
    Bring back Expert Gamer.
    I just want Ultra Game Players to be a magazine again.

I'll see your Ultra Game Players, and raise you to just plain Game Players-- before they decided to "grow up" and wound up falling down.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Greg USN wrote: »
    Seriously though. If its the 400 page monster I used to love so much i'll get it in a heartbeat. If its the 80 page mag of recent years i'll pass.

Only if they can sell 200 pages of ads. In this climate, I seriously doubt that'd be possible. I really wonder how many people get that the number of pages in a mag is directly related to the number of ads they can sell.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I honestly don't really see the point of a monthly gaming magazine anymore. Unless they've paid for some exclusive interview and it somehow doesn't magically leak onto the internet, they're usually behind on the news.

I can find out everything I need to know about gaming on the internet for free. Why would I pay for a magazine laden with ads and other chaff? I guess it might make a good toilet read, but oh wait, I have the internet on my phone for that.

Don't get me wrong, I used to buy gaming magazines as a kid, every month devotedly... but now that I get gaming news updates daily, I have no desire to buy them anymore. I really don't see how they're going to make a successful comeback, but good luck to them.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This is definitely the right time to relaunch a failed print publication in an already crowded market.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I had a free subscription to EGM through like 2013 thanks to various deal sites. I would likely only get this new one again if I could find the same type of deal. No reason to pay for mags anymore with all the free subs they hand out like candy online.

Allforce on