As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Baldur's Gate II - A nostalgic look back

PancakePancake Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
-

wAgWt.jpg
Pancake on

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I never really understood the concept behind half those mods, most of them add strange characters, odd romances that are poorly written, or make an already hard game even harder. I would be willing to try out some weapon mod ones but beyond that no way, the characters are fine as is.

[spoiler:ef89a3bd08]Oh no...this is bad....hang on, these aren't too bad, actually they're pretty good! Hang on, what happened to my....no...NO....NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/spoiler:ef89a3bd08]... or something like that

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Barcardi wrote:
    I never really understood the concept behind half those mods, most of them add strange characters, odd romances that are poorly written, or make an already hard game even harder. I would be willing to try out some weapon mod ones but beyond that no way, the characters are fine as is.

[spoiler:354327fc40]Oh no...this is bad....hang on, these aren't too bad, actually they're pretty good! Hang on, what happened to my....no...NO....NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/spoiler:354327fc40]... or something like that
    Yes, a lot of them are quite bad, but I tried to shy away from the poorly written ones. The voice acting isn't usually so great, though.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Needs some reminiscing about Irenicus. Years later and that bastard is still my favorite villain in a game. He just always found ways to make his jackassery so personal instead of just sitting on a pedestal of evil somewhere waiting for you to come to him.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've had BG2 for four or five years, but never really played it because I kept getting SMOKED in the circus tent, and simply got frustrated. Now I've recently given it another spin and reconsidered my previous stance on it being a 'criminal piece of crap'. Up to chapter 5 now, and loving it.
    Aerie wrote:
    Quicker than Chiktikka Fastpaws!

:x
    BITCH SHUT THE FUCK UP. There is only one place for her, and that's a certain smashy-smashy un-disarmable trap in the early mid-game. I can't count the number of times I've let her wander into that.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Needs some reminiscing about Irenicus. Years later and that bastard is still my favorite villain in a game. He just always found ways to make his jackassery so personal instead of just sitting on a pedestal of evil somewhere waiting for you to come to him.
    After a few hours taking some screenshots and digging through the dialogue files, I had forgotten all about them in my haste to get this posted. Edited into the OP.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I bought game pack that came with the expansion, but I never got around to installing it or playing. Its just been sitting on my shelf for about a year. I'll have to give it a whirl during xmas break.

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    yotes wrote:
    I've had BG2 for four or five years, but never really played it because I kept getting SMOKED in the circus tent, and simply got frustrated.

Wow, that sums up my BG2 experience pretty succinctly, which sucks because everyone seems to adore it.

Ant000 on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This game was exquisite and holds up a lot better than NWN, thanks to the beautiful 2D graphics. I think my favorite quest is one of the later large cities with the
    Silence of the Lambs killer investigation deal
    Good times. The forced removal of a stat point in the latter part of the game pissed me off pretty good though. I work hard for my stats! How dare you wantonly strip me of them.

Edit: What the fuck? I guess spoilers got broken during the server update. Fixed.

JAEF on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ToB makes Aerie so much ..... not quite bearable, but less of a whiny bitch that you constantly want to choke, but you can't, because she's such an excellent character stat wise.

Also, Edwin. Quest. Best sidequest in any game.

Lastly, talking sword. It deserves it's own spot next to the companions.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This is such a good game. It's one of the few RPGs that I've a) beaten and b) wouldn't trade for store credit even if I still could.

This playthrough, I lost Aerie because she was fighting with Jaheira and I told her to suck a cock. Does she ever reappear? Because she was way helpful.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    JAEF wrote:
    The forced removal of a stat point in the latter part of the game pissed me off pretty good though. I work hard for my stats! How dare you wantonly strip me of them.
    Oh they dare. And not only that there was an instance prior to that with the same effect and probably the same reasoning of sacrifice for the greater good. When they took a second bit of my dexterity at the end I wasn't pleased. I demand godliness from my monk.

Hoz on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Discussion of this game really just serves to highlight how much other RPGs, especially newer ones, suck hard in comparison.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited December 2006
    simply the best rpg ever crafted

i was totally going to make a thread one of these days about the whole saga

this one is fine though

bongi on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Discussion of this game really just serves to highlight how much other RPGs, especially newer ones, suck hard in comparison.

There hasnt been a true RPG for a while. There are action games based in RPG worlds, but so few where you actually role play, and have involved character development and actually care about what the shit you are doing. I think the only games to actually keep this running are Bioware games. KotOR 1, 2 and Jade Empire were very good at character development, and blending action to keep us interested.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    bongi wrote:
    simply the best rpg ever crafted

i was totally going to make a thread one of these days about the whole saga

this one is fine though

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    AtroAtro Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wasn't there some Paladin playable character in the game?

I could of sworn I picked one up in the sewers under the temple district or am I just crazy?

Atro on
    pyramidsig0ds.png
  • Options
    CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Atro wrote:

I could of sworn I picked one up in the sewers under the temple district or am I just crazy?

That would be Keldorn Firecam. He was great, once you got him the Gauntlets of Dexterity.

Craigopogo on
  • Options
    vrstvrst Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Must...study....not....reinstall.....

vrst on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Squeeky Wheel gets the KICK!

BG2 is really the best electronic RPG ever made.
    and it gets even better when you start with BG1, through Tales of the Sword Coast and BG2 and end with Throne of Bhaal. NO videogame in the history of mankind gets THAT epic. You really work hard towards your prize at the end.

And, most of all, the plots are never really about "saving the world". Even if, sometimes, you kinda do it. It's about who you are, mostly. Like Torment.

And I like Aerie, she didn't annoy me much. She's so pretty :oops:

Damn, I love this game.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    vrst wrote:

DO IT

DOOOOO IIIIIT

[spoiler:0feb360db6] Do it[/spoiler:0feb360db6]

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    vrst wrote:

I have so much work to do that getting a Wii, plus reinstalling this, plus Gears of war nightly lan tournaments, plus fucking Medieval total war which I didnt even fucking know about until 2 days ago is going to RUIN MY LIFE.

Jesus, Imagine all that PLUS if I still played World of warcraft.

I play too many games. But oh man sometimes its worth it.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Still playing it for the first time... Its been a year :o . Sometimes i forget theres an end to it eventually. But its mighty fun i must say.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited December 2006
    Squeeky Wheel gets the KICK!

BG2 is really the best electronic RPG ever made.
    and it gets even better when you start with BG1, through Tales of the Sword Coast and BG2 and end with Throne of Bhaal. NO videogame in the history of mankind gets THAT epic. You really work hard towards your prize at the end.

And, most of all, the plots are never really about "saving the world". Even if, sometimes, you kinda do it. It's about who you are, mostly. Like Torment.

And I like Aerie, she didn't annoy me much. She's so pretty :oops:

Damn, I love this game.
    i am part-way through a playthrough of the entire saga right now, playing as a conjurer

bongi on
  • Options
    Captain UglyheadCaptain Uglyhead Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'll play through this game once I've gone through Baldur's Gate. I'm still working my way through, slowly. DAMN slowly. Sometimes I wonder about my choice of character, though. Chaotic Good Half-Elven Fighter/Cleric, man. Well, at least I can summon skeletal minions. I intend to see him through to the end, though. Then maybe I'll try something more interesting.

Captain Uglyhead on
    Spiderweb Software makes fun, reasonably priced games for PCs and Macs. Big demos, too!
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    [spoiler:27b083a658]Yoshimo is willing.[/spoiler:27b083a658] :winky:

I have to finish Icewind Dale I, II and Baldur's Gate again before I can get back to Amn.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    #14#14 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ok, this is it, I'm fucking reinstalling. This game is so goddamn classic.

I remember playing it when I was 14 or something. It was a school holiday, and the weather was fantastic. Every kid was outside, but not me, I was behind my little computer, playing the shit out of this game. 1 week, non stop.

[spoiler:a442dec372]Did you guys see the Yoshimo thing coming? I didn't. I wonder if I will find it more obvious now that I'm older and more experienced with these kind of games.[/spoiler:a442dec372].

#14 on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    My feelings on this game can be summed up quite succinctly.
    Best. Game. Ever.

Out of the various mods, Dungeon-be-gone, unfinished business and possibly the Imoen romance (crappy evil options, but decent nice ones) are worth a look.

The sorceror class at epic level may also be the most hideously broken thing ever.
    (Amulet of Power, Robes of Vecna, Time Stop, Improved Alacrity, drop entire repetoire of spells)

Xagarath on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited December 2006
    also it is heinous that this game was not included in the game of the generation poll

bongi on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Indeed, BG2 set the mark for pretty much everything. I like NWN2 but my heart belongs to the Baldurs Gate games.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    bongi wrote:
    also it is heinous that this game was not included in the game of the generation poll
    Was it from this gen though? it's pretty old. Older than Jazz even.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    BigDes wrote:
    bongi wrote:
    Depends on, where is the "cutoff" point? I recall getting this in 98 or 99 so it might be too old, still unfair though considering that it has more gameplay than the vast majority of games released the last years.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    bongi wrote:

Too old. Really Neverwinter Nights 1 was the start of this generation in the context of bioware RPGs.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Craigopogo wrote:
    Atro wrote:

That would be Keldorn Firecam. He was great, once you got him the Gauntlets of Dexterity.
    He was great before that too. Dispel Magic and True Sight = dead mages.

Zell on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Zell wrote:
    Craigopogo wrote:
    Atro wrote:

And then Carsomyr, he just destroys them.

I wish I could try new characters in this game, but I get so attached to my favorites that it's hard to make much room. I need to do an evil playthrough and mess with those guys.

captaink on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So, since the opinion on some of these mods is they suck, what are the basic "must have" mods for BG2? I've played through this game, but it's never really felt like I actually played and I don't know why. Perhaps because my only time through was during a not-so good part of my life. That aside, I really want to get through this game over the Christmas break, or at least start back through, and get the whole experience. So, what mods are recommended?

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    captaink wrote:
    Zell wrote:
    Craigopogo wrote:
    Atro wrote:

And then Carsomyr, he just destroys them.

I wish I could try new characters in this game, but I get so attached to my favorites that it's hard to make much room. I need to do an evil playthrough and mess with those guys.
    I was a big softie aswell, I could never bring myself to break up the remnants of my old team from BG1. Minsc, despite being subpar as a Ranger always had a place in my team.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Zilla84 wrote:
    So, since the opinion on some of these mods is they suck, what are the basic "must have" mods for BG2? I've played through this game, but it's never really felt like I actually played and I don't know why. Perhaps because my only time through was during a not-so good part of my life. That aside, I really want to get through this game over the Christmas break, or at least start back through, and get the whole experience. So, what mods are recommended?
    The Baldurdash Fixpacks and Dungeon-Be-Gone are really the only must haves, though if it's only your second time, you might not need DBG. The other fix and tweak packs add or change some nice things, but often they serve to make things easier (or harder) and you might not want that.

Whether you like the NPC mods is really up to you. Most love them, some hate them, and most are pretty poorly done. It's like fan fiction in an interactive format and much the same rules of quality apply. I don't believe any in the OP are too bad, though, and can be enjoyable.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Fap fap fap fap fap fap........fap.....

Right! This game was awesome, and the throne of Bhaal was a great expansion [spoiler:9a0532b84b] Your the fucking son of the GOD OF MURDER AND BLOOD for fucks sake!!... Turning into the Chaos monster thing was just cool, i did it in the last fight against Bhaal and raped his face.[/spoiler:9a0532b84b]

Also, about the characters:

[spoiler:9a0532b84b] Yoshimo is a backstabbing cunt, and Bhodi was a bitch of a vampire[/spoiler:9a0532b84b]

EDIT: Also, why do i remember there being a mod to make it so that you could have Drizzt i your party?

Johannen on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited December 2006
    BigDes wrote:
    bongi wrote:
    2000, after the launch of ps2 in japan

bongi on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jdarksun wrote:
    OP is missing Keldorn, Mazzy, and Valygar.
    Don't forget Nalia.

Xagarath on