As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DUUUUN DUUUUN! DUH-DUH-DUH-DUH-DUUUUUUH

Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worsebefore it gets any better.Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Social Entropy++
tor_logo.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2taOfIUW2w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6NAExNaofA&feature=response_watch

star-wars3.jpg

star-wars1.jpg
The new, Bioware produced, Star Wars mmo, set thousands of years before the Clone Wars, the Deathstar, and the battle of Yavin. The Sith have sacked Corascant and reduced the Jedi temple there to rubble, the Mandalorians are once again threatening the fragile peace that exists within the galaxy, and the Jedi are in hiding in the outer rim.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will feature something no other MMO before it has; an engrossing story line and compelling companion characters, with their own personalities, goals and side-missions. The scope of the game promises to be epic, and the choices you make will have far-reaching consequences.

star-wars2.jpg

UPDATE!

New classes announced!

The Trooper
ss4_1600x900.jpg

HONOR, DUTY, DEFENSE OF THE REPUBLIC

Not all heroes carry Lightsabers. Some just have the will to fight.

For decades, the armed forces of the Galactic Republic defended their civilization against the seemingly unstoppable Sith Empire. Despite countless setbacks, the men and women of the Republic military never backed down until the Senate ordered them to do so. These brave souls remain ready and willing to lay their lives on the line today.

In the wake of the Treaty of Coruscant, the Republic military has begun recruiting from within its own ranks, creating cutting-edge Special Forces squads for the inevitable day when the war with the Sith Empire begins anew. These advanced strike teams are comprised of only the most talented and disciplined soldiers—a new breed of elite Republic Troopers.

These Troopers are the embodiment of the Republic military’s highest aspirations—the most advanced fighting force in the galaxy. They are equipped to face any foe in any environment, but it’s not their gear that makes them tough—it’s their guts. The Troopers’ greatest weapons are their indomitable spirit, their unwavering sense of duty and their undying loyalty to each other and to the ideals that the Republic represents. In this age, the stakes have never been higher. The Republic must win or face extinction. The fate of the galaxy rests upon ordinary men becoming extraordinary heroes. This is the path of the Republic Trooper.

The Smuggler
ss2_1920x1080.jpg

QUICK, CLEVER, ANSWERS TO NO ONE

Sometimes luck is more important than skill, but it never hurts to have both.

Lawlessness has become common in the wake of the devastating war between the Republic and Empire. Shifting political allegiances and marauding pirates have made independent space travel a dangerous enterprise. Cut off from traditional supply routes, entire star systems waver on the verge of collapse. An adventurous spirit who’s not afraid to break a few rules can make a handsome profit hauling cargo to these hotspots, but it requires fast reflexes, fast wits and a fast draw with a blaster. Even then, the life of a Smuggler is always a gamble.

Stacking up enemies as fast as they stack up credits, Smugglers only survive in this galaxy by being slick, sneaky and street-smart. Whether sweet-talking an attractive alien or bargaining with a hardened criminal contact, the Smuggler’s charm is a notorious asset, and often the ticket to turning around a deteriorating situation. If circumstances get too complicated, though, count on a Smuggler to always have an escape plan. Experienced in flying under the radar, Smugglers are amazingly elusive. Yet when backed into a corner, they quickly become cunning and often deadly combatants.

Above all else, Smugglers make their own destinies. Despite their affinity for credits, Smugglers have been known to turn down lucrative opportunities when the clients have demanded too much control. Some Smugglers are even more discriminating—refusing to work with slavers and representatives of the Sith Empire. It’s a business where one is always looking for trustworthy allies, but they are often few and far between. Whether running an Imperial blockade or shooting down a double-crossing gangster, Smugglers are always flying by the seat of their pants. Every deal carries the chance for wealth beyond their wildest dreams… or an anonymous death in the harsh void of space.

The Bounty Hunter
ss1.jpg

HUNTER, SEEKER, KILLER FOR HIRE

Countless enemies stand in the way of the Sith Empire’s drive for domination. The Empire spares no expense eliminating these threats, offering massive bounties to employ the galaxy’s most lethal hunters. Earning a death mark from the Empire means a life spent in fear, constantly looking over one’s shoulder. It’s never a question if a Bounty Hunter will find you… only when.

Both infamous and anonymous at the same time, Bounty Hunters are far more than mercenaries for hire—they’re heirs to a professional legacy—an ancient brotherhood with a glorious history. Tracking elusive targets across multiple star systems requires expertise, especially when the targets can be prominent, powerful, and often prepared for confrontation. Thrill seekers from all walks of life set out to become Bounty Hunters, but only the most hard-boiled survive in this competitive and deadly business.

The Bounty Hunter’s path lies along the edge—the stakes are always high—and the path only leads two places, to a life of infamous glory… or to a quick and ignominious death.

Metzger Meister on

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    it's gonna suck

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I can't wait for the choices I make to have far-reaching consequences

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fuck this

why can't they just make another single-player RPG

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Matrix Online had "an engrossing storyline"

that's probably why it's the number one bestselling MMO on the market today

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    looks like poop from a butt.

just going to be standing in front of ewoks, autoattacking for 10 seconds

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited May 2009

It's actually shutting down soon

I honestly didn't think it was still going

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Anyone who thought the Matrix Online would be good was stupid in the first place.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Anyone who thought the Matrix Online would be good was stupid in the first place.

But trenchcoats! And Matrix!

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »

It's actually shutting down soon

I honestly didn't think it was still going

THATS THE JOKE

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If I can't hang out with Han Solo I'm not particularly interested.
    Also Han Solo should be the correct height.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cautiously optimistic about this

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    can i play as bossk

bossk was a boss

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I read in an interview someone saying "Players want to be guided. They don't want to have to find fun." and that really turned me off since that means this game is going to hold your dick for you the entire way

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    this is going to be very mediocre AT BEST

Raneados on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    mass effect is better

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    From those few screenshots the character designs don't seem particularly interesting.

Then again, that might be because both males look exactly the same.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's had like 3 threads in the MMO forum...

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    This is basically going to be WoW: Star Wars

Moriveth on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, I haven't disliked a BioWare game yet, so I might still give it a shot.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I miss Star Wars Galaxies pre CU

It was the best MMO to date

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I like needing to find fun. that means exploring and shit. I want a giant fucking world where I can find a tiny shrine in middle of nowhere full of cool skeletons with loot and no one else knows about it. then to get back to town is a grueling trek through the wilderness and I could die of hunger if I'm not careful

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    From those few screenshots the character designs don't seem particularly interesting.

Then again, that might be because both males look exactly the same.

They are still making the models, much less the skins, for most of the classes. That was one of the earliest renders they did for the 'oh hey guys check out this shit' and they felt they needed some jedi on jedi action.

They had only skinned one jedi.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You guys are jerks :cry:

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    I like needing to find fun. that means exploring and shit. I want a giant fucking world where I can find a tiny shrine in middle of nowhere full of cool skeletons with loot and no one else knows about it. then to get back to town is a grueling trek through the wilderness and I could die of hunger if I'm not careful

I like the sense of a grand world with some mysteries and challenges

LOTRO has really sucked me in

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Reminds me of Ultima Online at launch!

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Awww, Poor Metz!

I bet this is going to be great!.

I bet you can, you know, like, level up, etc!

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    well this thread can't be as bad as the MMO forum one.

100 pages of people bitching and nitpicking about the most stupid and mundane things

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Man this looks enjoyable

But I'll never play it

Let's talk about Champions Online instead

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »

I love LOTRO. I really, really do. But there's something about the combat that just... ugh.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The Sneak! wrote: »

Reminds me of Ultima Online at launch!

reminds of every awesome MUD I ever played.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You guys are jerks :cry:

maybe we've been scorned by star wars before

Raneados on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    whoopdie fucking doo, babies

can't wait

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I read in an interview someone saying "Players want to be guided. They don't want to have to find fun." and that really turned me off since that means this game is going to hold your dick for you the entire way

Does that mean it will be giving handjobs?

That seems like a good selling point.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited May 2009
    well this thread can't be as bad as the MMO forum one.

100 pages of people bitching and nitpicking about the most stupid and mundane things

Oh my God, page 90-100 in that thread is so gay

I wanted to go in there and call them all faggots

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Goatmon wrote: »

Just holding it

So you might get a boner but you'll never get off

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Seriously though, maybe Stale won't ruin the fucking economy of this Star Wars MMO :rotate::rotate::rotate::rotate:

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    it seems like an mmo with a single player tinge

totally fine with that

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The Sneak! wrote: »

I love LOTRO. I really, really do. But there's something about the combat that just... ugh.

I have a thing for environments. The two MMOs I'm most impressed by in the market right now are Vanguard and LOTRO. They're both the sorta game I enjoy.

Look at these goddamn pictures I took on my new computer

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=67339&page=80

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »

Just holding it

So you might get a boner but you'll never get off

Dammit

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Fandy does LOTRO still have a trial

Me Too! on