As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bruno: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Fabulous Fashion of Austria

• EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    man I don't know, borat worked, but homophobia is still very relevant and I'm kinda thinking this movie will encourage it more than stop it

My sentiments exactly. Cretins aren't going to watch this and think, "Oh man, homophobia is silly!", they're just going to think, "lol look at that faggot waving his knob about... gaaaay"

Because an entertainment movie MUST serve a larger social purpose!

It totally doesn't have to, but it does make it worse if it serves the purpose of enabling discrimination against a group of people

How many Black Comedies (racial, not tone) do you think care about that?

Evander on
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'll have you know that I saw several Klan members force their tattoo ink straight out of their skin through sheer force of will after a viewing of Undercover Brother.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    man I don't know, borat worked, but homophobia is still very relevant and I'm kinda thinking this movie will encourage it more than stop it

My sentiments exactly. Cretins aren't going to watch this and think, "Oh man, homophobia is silly!", they're just going to think, "lol look at that faggot waving his knob about... gaaaay"

It totally doesn't have to, but it does make it worse if it serves the purpose of enabling discrimination against a group of people

You don't see a difference in a comdedy made by a subset of people making fun of that subset, and a comedy making fun of a subset without being part of it?
    Brüno as a racial comedy would be a white guy in blackface making fun of blacks, for example.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How long until someone mentions rape culture?

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    rape cultu-

oh dang

FAQ on
  • Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    So, this is the most movieish thread.

Doctor Who will probably play Bilbo Baggins

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    toooo slow

but still awesome!

Randall_Flagg on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sir, do you have something against the rape or the cultures which benefit from its many and wonderful properties?

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, this is the most movieish thread.

Doctor Who will probably play Bilbo Baggins

there is a thread for only movie news you moron

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
    edited July 2009
    It's poorly labelled because we have an aversion to "mega threads" and brackets though.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
    edited July 2009
    zimfan wrote: »
    there is a thread for only movie news you moron

grrrr.png

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
    edited July 2009
    what I'm saying is

this is not the most "movieish thread"

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
    edited July 2009
    movieish enough.

without [ ... ] - the fuck I search though all threads and their obscure titles.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
    edited July 2009

You don't see a difference in a comdedy made by a subset of people making fun of that subset, and a comedy making fun of a subset without being part of it?
    Brüno as a racial comedy would be a white guy in blackface making fun of blacks, for example.

So you're saying that if a gay guy made the same exact movie it would have been okay?

Why? Because it's "empowering"?

Evander on
    edited July 2009
    movieish enough.

without [ ... ] - the fuck I search though all threads and their obscure titles.

it's called Queue Up

there are you happy?

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
    edited July 2009
    I'm just saying, if you want to get all hoighty-toighty, and discuss the cultural ramifications of a stupid comedy movie, I'm happy to match you.

At the end of the day, you're being an idiot, because the type of people who you think would have their homophobic stereotypes reinforced aren't going to sit through an opening scene of dude-on-dude anal-play, much less the tons of other explicit content in the movie.

Evander on
    edited July 2009
    zimfan wrote: »
    movieish enough.

it's called Queue Up

there are you happy?

Yes, thank you.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

So you're saying that if a gay guy made the same exact movie it would have been okay?

You compared it to black comedies, which is not a sound comparison imo, which I tried to show. I'm not going to argue for your invalid comparison :P

Of course it would be something else if it was made by a gay guy, or do you somehow refuse the notion that a group can empower itself by trying to ridicule negative stereotypes/words attached to them?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited July 2009
    I'm just saying, if you want to get all hoighty-toighty, and discuss the cultural ramifications of a stupid comedy movie, I'm happy to match you.

At the end of the day, you're being an idiot, because the type of people who you think would have their homophobic stereotypes reinforced aren't going to sit through an opening scene of dude-on-dude anal-play, much less the tons of other explicit content in the movie.

Even a "stupid comedy movie" has impact. Do you really think there aren't going to be any people watching this movie, thinking "Haha, fags, they're so silly! And disgusting!"?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Even a "stupid comedy movie" has impact. Do you really think there aren't going to be any people watching this movie, thinking "Haha, fags, they're so silly! And disgusting!"?

people who believe anything aren't worth convincing of anything.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
    edited July 2009
    Zoel wrote: »

Social changes happen through slow paradigm shifts, or as someone might say "The TV is destroying our youth!"
    The more often a certain idea is reinforced, the more it becomes a part of accepted mainstream reality. This works both ways.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zoel wrote: »

Social changes happen through slow paradigm shifts, or as someone might say "The TV is destroying our youth!"
    The more often a certain idea is reinforced, the more it becomes a part of accepted mainstream reality. This works both ways.

Yeah I guess you could keep people from ideas that are too dangerous for them on account of their lack of education but I don't really think that's a great long term plan.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
    edited July 2009
    You misunderstood me completely, I'm afraid.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    sacha baron cohen is engaged to Isla Fisher??

what the fuck, world

Charles Kinbote on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    STRAIGHT DAAAAAVE

Projeck on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I bet Isla Fisher enjoyed this movie.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
    edited July 2009
    Fuck gays fo real, yo.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • doublehawk00doublehawk00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i think Bruno was funny

can we all agree on that instead of having the summer semester of high school debate up in here

doublehawk00 on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No, we can not all agree with your opinion, sorry.

I haven't seen it myself, but what I've heard, I can see a reasonable person not finding it funny or unfunny.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • doublehawk00doublehawk00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No, we can not all agree with your opinion, sorry.

I haven't seen it myself, but what I've heard, I can see a reasonable person not finding it funny or unfunny.

but my opinion in the best and here is a paragraph addressing the matter:

doublehawk00 on
  • Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    he tried to fuck ron paul holy shit

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    also showed him to be a homophobe

Zoolander on
    edited July 2009
    not really?

a 72 year old man using the word queer hardly qualifies him as homophobic

Mr. Henry Bemis on
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i guess
    i dont really care
    ron paul 08

Zoolander on
    edited July 2009
    word

Mr. Henry Bemis on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited July 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited July 2009

You compared it to black comedies, which is not a sound comparison imo, which I tried to show. I'm not going to argue for your invalid comparison :P

Of course it would be something else if it was made by a gay guy, or do you somehow refuse the notion that a group can empower itself by trying to ridicule negative stereotypes/words attached to them?

Of course I don't.

But I ALSO don't ascribe to the notion that the labels given to a person change EVERYTHING about what they are saying.

Empowerment does not SOLELY come from within.

Evander on
    edited July 2009

And those people are sitting through the opening scene? (Let alone the focus group...)

You are INVENTING scenarios in order to be outraged.

Evander on
  • TardTard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    rabble rabble

Tard on
    edited July 2009
    Zoolander wrote: »
    also showed him to be a homophobe
    it was already known he was a racist and a homophobe so icing on the cake, etc

not even icing.

Old man using the word "queer" doesn't mean shit.

And most folks, including plenty of dudes who actually ARE gay would have left the room at the point where a strange man starts disrobing.

I'm no fan of Ron Paul, but that was really the low-point of the movie.

Evander on