Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Bruno: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Fabulous Fashion of Austria

• EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I realized, watching “Borat” again, that what it exposed was not a vacuity in American manners but, more often than not, a tolerance unimaginable elsewhere. Borat’s Southern hostess didn’t shriek when he appeared with a bag of feces; she sympathized, and gently showed him what to do, and the same thing happens in “Brüno,” when a martial-arts instructor, confronted by a foreigner with two dildos, doesn’t flinch. He teaches Brüno some defensive moves, then adds, “This is totally different from anything I’ve ever done.” Ditto the Hollywood psychic—another risky target, eh?—who watches Brüno mime an act of air-fellatio and says, after completion, “Well, good luck with your life.” In both cases, I feel that the patsy, though gulled, comes off better than the gag man; the joke is on Baron Cohen, for foisting indecency on the decent. The joker is trumped by the square.

I pretty much agree with this. Except the UFC scene and the gay converter interview were brilliant.

Telling a gay converter that he has 'blowjob lips' nullifys all the movies flaws.

I thought the Charity PR scene was hilarious.

The Darfive joke from the trailers was alright, but the girl starting to introduce the idea to create accessories out of extinct [sic] (I think she really meant endangered) animals, that was BRILIANT.

georgersig.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    man I don't know, borat worked, but homophobia is still very relevant and I'm kinda thinking this movie will encourage it more than stop it

My sentiments exactly. Cretins aren't going to watch this and think, "Oh man, homophobia is silly!", they're just going to think, "lol look at that faggot waving his knob about... gaaaay"

Because an entertainment movie MUST serve a larger social purpose!

It totally doesn't have to, but it does make it worse if it serves the purpose of enabling discrimination against a group of people

sc.jpgsc.jpg
  • glithertglithert Snortin' K Luthor's towerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This movie was...Alright, I guess. The baby photo shoot was the best part.

5vc48Bb.jpg
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I want to take Isla Fisher and put her in my pocket
    My pants pocket

Denny's is for winners.
    mkc.pngmkc.pngmkc.pngmontykevin.png
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    man I don't know, borat worked, but homophobia is still very relevant and I'm kinda thinking this movie will encourage it more than stop it

My sentiments exactly. Cretins aren't going to watch this and think, "Oh man, homophobia is silly!", they're just going to think, "lol look at that faggot waving his knob about... gaaaay"

It totally doesn't have to, but it does make it worse if it serves the purpose of enabling discrimination against a group of people
    You beat me to it, Wally.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User
    edited July 2009
    isla fisher is so. small.

edited July 2009

How many Black Comedies (racial, not tone) do you think care about that?

georgersig.jpg
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'll have you know that I saw several Klan members force their tattoo ink straight out of their skin through sheer force of will after a viewing of Undercover Brother.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

You don't see a difference in a comdedy made by a subset of people making fun of that subset, and a comedy making fun of a subset without being part of it?
    Brüno as a racial comedy would be a white guy in blackface making fun of blacks, for example.

sc.jpgsc.jpg
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How long until someone mentions rape culture?

• FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    rape cultu-

oh dang

• Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS
    edited July 2009
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User
    edited July 2009
    toooo slow

but still awesome!

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel Building an empire OsloRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sir, do you have something against the rape or the cultures which benefit from its many and wonderful properties?

Fuck off and die.
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User
    edited July 2009
    So, this is the most movieish thread.

Doctor Who will probably play Bilbo Baggins

there is a thread for only movie news you moron

PasscodeSig.png
    edited July 2009
    It's poorly labelled because we have an aversion to "mega threads" and brackets though.

Fuck off and die.
    edited July 2009
    zimfan wrote: »
    there is a thread for only movie news you moron

grrrr.png

kissing.jpg
    edited July 2009
    what I'm saying is

this is not the most "movieish thread"

PasscodeSig.png
    edited July 2009
    movieish enough.

without [ ... ] - the fuck I search though all threads and their obscure titles.

kissing.jpg
    edited July 2009

You don't see a difference in a comdedy made by a subset of people making fun of that subset, and a comedy making fun of a subset without being part of it?
    Brüno as a racial comedy would be a white guy in blackface making fun of blacks, for example.

So you're saying that if a gay guy made the same exact movie it would have been okay?

Why? Because it's "empowering"?

georgersig.jpg
    edited July 2009
    movieish enough.

without [ ... ] - the fuck I search though all threads and their obscure titles.

it's called Queue Up

there are you happy?

PasscodeSig.png
    edited July 2009
    I'm just saying, if you want to get all hoighty-toighty, and discuss the cultural ramifications of a stupid comedy movie, I'm happy to match you.

At the end of the day, you're being an idiot, because the type of people who you think would have their homophobic stereotypes reinforced aren't going to sit through an opening scene of dude-on-dude anal-play, much less the tons of other explicit content in the movie.

georgersig.jpg
    edited July 2009
    zimfan wrote: »
    movieish enough.

it's called Queue Up

there are you happy?

Yes, thank you.

kissing.jpg
    edited July 2009

So you're saying that if a gay guy made the same exact movie it would have been okay?

Why? Because it's "empowering"?

You compared it to black comedies, which is not a sound comparison imo, which I tried to show. I'm not going to argue for your invalid comparison :P

Of course it would be something else if it was made by a gay guy, or do you somehow refuse the notion that a group can empower itself by trying to ridicule negative stereotypes/words attached to them?

sc.jpgsc.jpg
    edited July 2009
    I'm just saying, if you want to get all hoighty-toighty, and discuss the cultural ramifications of a stupid comedy movie, I'm happy to match you.

At the end of the day, you're being an idiot, because the type of people who you think would have their homophobic stereotypes reinforced aren't going to sit through an opening scene of dude-on-dude anal-play, much less the tons of other explicit content in the movie.

Even a "stupid comedy movie" has impact. Do you really think there aren't going to be any people watching this movie, thinking "Haha, fags, they're so silly! And disgusting!"?

sc.jpgsc.jpg
  • ZoelZoel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Even a "stupid comedy movie" has impact. Do you really think there aren't going to be any people watching this movie, thinking "Haha, fags, they're so silly! And disgusting!"?

people who believe anything aren't worth convincing of anything.

edited July 2009
    Zoel wrote: »

Social changes happen through slow paradigm shifts, or as someone might say "The TV is destroying our youth!"
    The more often a certain idea is reinforced, the more it becomes a part of accepted mainstream reality. This works both ways.

sc.jpgsc.jpg
  • ZoelZoel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zoel wrote: »

Social changes happen through slow paradigm shifts, or as someone might say "The TV is destroying our youth!"
    The more often a certain idea is reinforced, the more it becomes a part of accepted mainstream reality. This works both ways.

Yeah I guess you could keep people from ideas that are too dangerous for them on account of their lack of education but I don't really think that's a great long term plan.

edited July 2009
    You misunderstood me completely, I'm afraid.

sc.jpgsc.jpg
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    sacha baron cohen is engaged to Isla Fisher??

what the fuck, world

www.twitter.com/amazingwarlock
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I bet Isla Fisher enjoyed this movie.

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
    edited July 2009
    Fuck gays fo real, yo.

Fuck off and die.
  • doublehawk00doublehawk00 Registered User
    edited July 2009
    i think Bruno was funny

can we all agree on that instead of having the summer semester of high school debate up in here

• Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No, we can not all agree with your opinion, sorry.

I haven't seen it myself, but what I've heard, I can see a reasonable person not finding it funny or unfunny.

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • doublehawk00doublehawk00 Registered User
    edited July 2009
    No, we can not all agree with your opinion, sorry.

I haven't seen it myself, but what I've heard, I can see a reasonable person not finding it funny or unfunny.

but my opinion in the best and here is a paragraph addressing the matter:

• Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    he tried to fuck ron paul holy shit

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User
    edited July 2009
    also showed him to be a homophobe

• Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    not really?

a 72 year old man using the word queer hardly qualifies him as homophobic