As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Damnation: Worth it?

3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheeseRegistered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
This game has looked super cool to me since I saw it, so I bought it (but haven't had a chance to play it yet). It's still packaged.

Having seen universally terrible review scores, I'm wondering if I made a mistake. Can anyone speak to the quality of this game? I'm debating returning it.

3cl1ps3 on

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shameless bump.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It sounds like it has been a disaster, from what you've already ascertained from the reviews.

The fact that there's no Game On thread, or the fact that not a single soul (until me) has responded on a very popular gaming forum might be another hint that this game blows. :)

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Idx86 wrote: »
    It sounds like it has been a disaster, from what you've already ascertained from the reviews.

The fact that there's no Game On thread, or the fact that not a single soul (until me) has responded on a very popular gaming forum might be another hint that this game blows. :)

Yeeaaahh that's what I'm thinking right now.

Oh well. At least I didn't open it =P

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This game is so bad it's actually funny.

I will not say that it is so bad that it's good, but it does make me laugh.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A friend played it for a bit, uninstalled on minute 6.

Megazver on
    Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Now that's I've started it I will probably finish it, but damn, this is a train wreck.

It's not often that a negative IGN review is right on almost all counts. Now if only it was written well.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    BrandXSaviorBrandXSavior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I picked it up when it was released on the 26th as I'd been looking forward to it for a while. I'm big on the whole "revisionist history" games, plus steampunk is a stylistic design I dig on, so for those reasons the game sounded cool to me.

The game isn't very good. I still like the steampunk look and feel, but the graphics and animation seem so dated it looks like an early original XBOX game. Voice acting and AI are pretty atrocious as well.

The level designs also seem really convoluted for no particular reason and the "vertical levels" concept as used in this game just doesn't seem to work very well. You'll start a level either at the very bottom of some deep valley and need to make your way to the top, or the opposite; you're at the top edge of some deep cavern and need to find some circuitous route to the bottom. That’s pretty much it in terms of variation. There are a few vehicle sequences where you are riding one of the steam powered “motorcycles” through tunnels and over cavernous drops, but these basically feel tacked-on and not all that interesting (to me at least).

I unlocked what is described as the "most powerful weapon" in the game (some kind of pistol that shoots exploding rounds), so it makes the game a little easier to deal with in terms of completing levels faster by eliminating enemies more expediently so you can concentrate on finding the correct path to the end of a level.

I haven’t finished the game yet (don’t know that I will either), but the bottom line is there really isn't much to recommend about it other than the revisionist history angle and steampunk art design.

BrandXSavior on
    Brand%20X%20Savior.png
    XBOX Live: BrandXSavior
    Wii: 4629 5078 1523 8513