Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Recommend On] A new computer!

ArkanArkan Registered User
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
So I turned 21 today. Among other things, I got 400$ and access to a savings account containing 1600$. That, plus a 100$ best buy gift card I had lying around, plus the fact that the computer I currently have suuuuuuucks, makes me want to get a new computer. But I'm not really sure what to look for, so I figured I'd asked THE INTERNET! for advice.

Some criteria:

I am not looking for a hyper-exensive ubercomputer... I'm not looking to run Crysis at max settings or anything (is that joke dead yet?). The highest-end thing I might run possibly ever would probably be Warhammer Online. The rest of the games I run regularly aren't that advanced (source/orange box engine games and WoW are the only ones that tax the one I'm on now, which is a 3-year old laptop). Something above and beyond that would be nice, but I really don't want to go super-expensive - 600-800$ is the range I want to be in. I'm hopefully going to a 4-year college this fall and want as much of the money available for that.

I'd also like something that would last a while - good warranty, easy to upgrade the parts, stuff that isn't failure-prone, etc.

So... any suggestions?

Arkan on
Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you're modestly technically literate, head over to the G&T Technology subforum and read the computer build thread. I recently built a rig for $800 ($720 after MIBs) that runs everything but Crysis at max settings at 60+ FPS. It runs Crysis at near-max settings at 60 FPS without AA on because Crysis is a buggy piece of junk and won't let me enable AA or change any settings at all for some inane reason.

Either way, Tech subforum is probably a better place to ask.

Two goats enter, one car leaves