As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Super Mario Bros Wii - Out Now. 15

• ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Whoah, people with bad opinions all up ins.

Yoshi's Island is the straight up the greatest platformer ever made. Nintendo or otherwise. Yoshi's Story was a disgrace and the DS game was a fucking atrocity and we should talk of them no further.
    Let's be best friends. You can come over my house and we can watch Bagger Vance.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    RockinX wrote: »

Yoshi's Island is the straight up the greatest platformer ever made. Nintendo or otherwise. Yoshi's Story was a disgrace and the DS game was a fucking atrocity and we should talk of them no further.

So apparently, other people's opinions are wrong because they're different from yours.

In my opinion, Yoshi's Story was awesome even though it wasn't as good as Yoshi's Island.

I like Yoshi's Island DS better than the original, but that may be because I haven't played the original much and I thought it was really comfortable playing on my DS.

I didn't say wrong, I said bad. You can think Yoshi's Story and the DS game are good, but they aren't and you're clearly a bad person.

But that doesn't make your opinion wrong. :P

The Console Wars are over. Now begins the Console Civil War.

Jishian on
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I take it that's a bad tv show?

RockinX on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Barring Mario Galaxy, this man is pretty much right.

Xagarath on
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

This. Yoshi's Island is the best (2D) platformer ever made.Period.

And Yoshi's Story is poop.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yoshis ISland DS is the same fucking thing as it was on the SNES.

I cant see how you can love one and hate the other.

But I digress, I just watched the video to this on the Wii and I am all hot and bothered for some awesome 2D action. Games like this are why I picked the Wii over the other systems in the first place.

Bedlam on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bedlam wrote: »

Yeah, except for the babies having unique attributes, the fact that there are multiple babies to choose from.

The different boss fights, the different levels...

EXACTLY THE SAME

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bedlam wrote: »

I cant see how you can love one and hate the other.

But I digress, I just watched the video to this on the Wii and I am all hot and bothered for some awesome 2D action. Games like this are why I picked the Wii over the other systems in the first place.

The level design was atrocious.
    The Babies were stupid and added nothing but frustration and complication to the gameplay.
    On top of that rather than try to be original it went out of it's way to be derivative.

You can in fact like the first and hate the second

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited June 2009
    You can also hate them both and not be wrong.

Jishian on
  • JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yoshi's Island's Yoshi model is the best Yoshi model. The one before it was a beginning, Yoshi's Island was perfection. After that they just screwed it up.

Yoshi's Island was also the greatest 2D platformer ever made. It made Mario World look like a homebrew and it was never surpassed. The level designs, the graphics. The look was awesome. Like a child had drawn it. It really redefined what a 16-bit console was capable of. And the effects they did with the Super FX2 chip were great. I remember the first time I walked in front of a wall and it fell forward to try and squash me. And the first boss stretching to enormous size.

I haven't played Yoshi's Island 2 on my DS in forever. Maybe I should replay it again. I know it can't hold a candle, but it was still somewhat good.

I was really hoping the next New Super Mario Bros game was gonna be more SMB2 oriented. I just want to play around in a Subcon style world again. Bring back all the enemies we haven't seen in forever. Albatoss, Shyguys who don't seem to get a role in Mario platformers much. (They like to hang with Yoshi for some reason.) Those snakes. Replace the pipes with the jars again. The Beezo's and the masks that attack when you pick up a key. Wart must be the boss. And there must be a return to the old never used since mechanic of picking up objects you're standing on. Just merge the two realities. Make Subcon just another part of Mario's world.

Jasoco on
  • ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jasoco wrote: »
    Yoshi's Island's Yoshi model is the best Yoshi model. The one before it was a beginning, Yoshi's Island was perfection. After that they just screwed it up.

Yoshi's Island was also the greatest 2D platformer ever made. It made Mario World look like a homebrew and it was never surpassed. The level designs, the graphics. The look was awesome. Like a child had drawn it. It really redefined what a 16-bit console was capable of. And the effects they did with the Super FX2 chip were great. I remember the first time I walked in front of a wall and it fell forward to try and squash me. And the first boss stretching to enormous size.

I haven't played Yoshi's Island 2 on my DS in forever. Maybe I should replay it again. I know it can't hold a candle, but it was still somewhat good.

I was really hoping the next New Super Mario Bros game was gonna be more SMB2 oriented. I just want to play around in a Subcon style world again. Bring back all the enemies we haven't seen in forever. Albatoss, Shyguys who don't seem to get a role in Mario platformers much. (They like to hang with Yoshi for some reason.) Those snakes. Replace the pipes with the jars again. The Beezo's and the masks that attack when you pick up a key. Wart must be the boss. And there must be a return to the old never used since mechanic of picking up objects you're standing on. Just merge the two realities. Make Subcon just another part of Mario's world.
    Well the reason you don't see stuff from SMB2 is because it's not really a Mario game, it's Doki Doki Panic with Mario textures. Still, some stuff did make it through. Birdo and Shyguys show up everywhere and Peach retains the Turnips in the Super Smash Brothers games, but I'm not at all surprised that they don't have many recurring enemies.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
    edited June 2009
    Jishian wrote: »
    You can also hate them both and not be wrong.

Well yeah. You'd be some sort of Goblin though.

King Riptor on
  • FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So how 'bout that new Super Mario Bros game coming out for the Wii?

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
    edited June 2009
    Falstaff wrote: »

The Penguin should have been Ice Mario.

Just Sayin.

If said Penguin suit lets you swim like a torpedo I will forgive that grievous error

King Riptor on
  • PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Just Sayin.

If said Penguin suit lets you swim like a torpedo I will forgive that grievous error

I hope they bring back the shell item. I thought it was a really cool idea, just really underused.

Pooch on
  • FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I totally agree. My most clear memory of NSMB is that, after I beat it, I spent like three hours looking for levels in which I could actually use my favorite item, but it seemed to be a liability more often than not, and even when it was useful I'd get hit by a koopa or something and have to track down another shell suit.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
    edited June 2009
    Pooch wrote: »

Just Sayin.

I hope they bring back the shell item. I thought it was a really cool idea, just really underused.

The Problem with the Shell is that very few levels were designed for it. It was blatantly obvious where it was needed and then you could get a Fire Flower and be god. Also it did not let you throw hammers.

King Riptor on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't think any powerup will ever match the hammer suit.

FyreWulff on
    edited June 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I don't think any powerup will ever match the hammer suit.

Truly it was the stuff of legends. when they Released Mario 3 on GBA I scanned that Hammer suit card until my item bank was full.

King Riptor on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't think Yoshi's Story was a bad game. Taken on its own it was pretty good. It's just that it was inviting a comparison to Yoshi's Island, and man ain't no game gonna look good when it does that.

Speed Racer on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't think Yoshi's Story was a bad game. Taken on its own it was pretty good. It's just that it was inviting a comparison to Yoshi's Island, and man ain't no game gonna look good when it does that.

Yeah I feel the same way. It was pretty dumb only doing one level per page as well. Most people's prevailing memory seemed to be that it was only 4 levels long despite there being a lot more.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And there must be a return to the old never used since mechanic of picking up objects you're standing on.

You can do that in Mario Vs. Donkey Kong. And there are Shyguys in it.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FCD wrote: »
    And there must be a return to the old never used since mechanic of picking up objects you're standing on.

I fell over more than once trying to do that as a kid.

Speed Racer on
    edited June 2009
    Zampano wrote: »
    Well the reason you don't see stuff from SMB2 is because it's not really a Mario game, it's Doki Doki Panic with Mario textures. Still, some stuff did make it through. Birdo and Shyguys show up everywhere and Peach retains the Turnips in the Super Smash Brothers games, but I'm not at all surprised that they don't have many recurring enemies.
    It's part of the canon. It may not have started as a Mario game, but it is still a major part of the canon now. Shyguys, Bob-omb's, Pokey's all came from that Mario game that almost wasn't. They might as well make it more major. I mean the whole thing was a dream sequence, yet somehow some enemies escaped from the dream world and became a major part of the universe. Might as well take us back there one more time. Hell, make it another dream if you have to. Just give us a direct sequel to SMB2. It has so much that could be expanded on.

"NEW Super Mario Bros 2: Return to Subcon: Revenge of Wart: The Quickening: Chapter 1"

Or, you know, a little shorter maybe.
    FCD wrote: »

Platformer. Not puzzle platformer, but the actual Mario series. MvDK is a side-story.

Jasoco on
    edited June 2009
    I did not have fun playing SMB2. I like a lot of the enemy designs from it though.

Speed Racer on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zampano wrote: »

Eh, I think that it was always meant to be a Mario game. Just that in Japan, they wound up using the licensed characters for DDP in an early version.

You'll notice there's never been a re-release of that version, either, yet numerous Mario re-releases. And with all the crossover before and after...

At the very least, even if it wasn't actually meant to be a Mario game from the outset, the overall impact it's had on the series is undeniable.
    Pooch wrote: »

Oh, that thing was total pro. Master using it, and you can kick TONS of ass. I breeze through levels, I plow through bosses... though in the latter case, it actually makes bosses a greater challenge, but a satisfying one. And of course, it's not even a required challenge-- I do it just because I can.
    Rami wrote: »

Yeah I feel the same way. It was pretty dumb only doing one level per page as well. Most people's prevailing memory seemed to be that it was only 4 levels long despite there being a lot more.

It works better as a WiiWare type of game than a full-blown retail experience for whatever they must have charged back in the day.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited June 2009
    You'll notice there's never been a re-release of that version, either, yet numerous Mario re-releases. And with all the crossover before and after...

Wouldn't "Super Mario Advance" count? I mean it was the first game they decided to "Advance" when they put them on the GBA.

Jasoco on
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    LBD, that last pic in your article looks as if it had been drawn by Francisco Ibañez. Awesome stuff.

RockinX on
    edited June 2009
    They need to bring back Mouser. No one with shades that cool should be forgotten about.

Speed Racer on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Danger Mouse.

Bedlam on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Wouldn't "Super Mario Advance" count? I mean it was the first game they decided to "Advance" when they put them on the GBA.

To be fair, it was likely the first "Mario Advance" title because they knew only by making it a launch title would it sell.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited June 2009
    Also it was in Mario All-Stars just like everything else.

Speed Racer on
    edited June 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

To be fair, it was likely the first "Mario Advance" title because they knew only by making it a launch title would it sell.

I doubt that.

It has Mario in the title and it was on a Gameboy. They surely had the money printer up and ready.

I still think SMB one deserve the face lift treatment though. That GBC game wasn't enough. I want the desolate ruins from Brawl though nothing else will sate me.

King Riptor on
    edited June 2009
    Why would you want that.

The whole joke to the Brawl level was that it had turned into a desolate wasteland in the 20+ years since you first played through it.

Speed Racer on
    edited June 2009
    Why would you want that.

The whole joke to the Brawl level was that it had turned into a desolate wasteland in the 20+ years since you first played through it.

Exactly. It would add weird elements to the level design. Crumbling Bridges/platforms, new areas because of structural damage to the original pathway, Hobo Troopas . . .

Things like that.

King Riptor on
    edited June 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

I doubt that.

It has Mario in the title and it was on a Gameboy. They surely had the money printer up and ready.

I still think SMB one deserve the face lift treatment though. That GBC game wasn't enough. I want the desolate ruins from Brawl though nothing else will sate me.

The reason Super Mario 2 was the first of the advanced series was because Nintendo had just re-released the original Super Mario bros. for the gameboy color not more than a year before the GBA came out.

They were just taking the next logical step.

Kor on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    It also wasn't a straight up port, it had a quite a few changes. Whereas Mario 3 and Mario World had slight changes.

FyreWulff on
    edited June 2009
    It also wasn't a straight up port, it had a quite a few changes. Whereas Mario 3 and Mario World had slight changes.

What changes did Mario 3 have? I recall that nifty little world map, but thats about it.

Now I know World had some changes, mostly button controls though, due to lack of Y and X.

Kor on
    edited June 2009
    Kor wrote: »

What changes did Mario 3 have? I recall that nifty little world map, but thats about it.

Now I know World had some changes, mostly button controls though, due to lack of Y and X.

Well Nintendo didn't release all the cards here but there were way more custom levels and new power ups included in 3.

King Riptor on
    edited June 2009
    I hope they include some of the old Mario Bros. levels for multiplayer. That was always a cool feature of the advance games + Superstar Saga.

Jishian on