As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recomment me a Haircut! After Pictures on page 2

Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright I am 18 years old now grown my hair out a decent bit and I am sick of it. However my luck with haircuts has been terrible, so recommend me something that won't look terrible!
Picture for reference.
Adam.jpg

It's a little old so my hair is a bit longer but not much.

Ziac45 on

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can't see the image (Bucket be blocked hurr) but given that you're talking about "grown out a bit" and "it's longer now" - yeah, get a #1 guard and clean that up, hippie. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Go to a salon. Ask a cute girl what she thinks would look good. Get her to cut it in parts so you don't get it too short.

Tav on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    just go to a nicer salon and tell the person to make you look good. if you dont like it you can buzz it off or just wait and itll grow later

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    How would I go about finding a nice salon? I live in a small area that is pretty much all chain salons and I have been there multiple times to no avail.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    LintillaLintilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    How would I go about finding a nice salon? I live in a small area that is pretty much all chain salons and I have been there multiple times to no avail.

Most of the time what works for me is to find someone with cool looking hair, compliment them, and then ask who gave them the haircut. The only time I didn't get a lead like this was when it turned out the dude I asked had sort of just got some safety scissors and cut chunks away about 1 inch from his head until he felt like it was uniform. Don't try that. It will likely end in the buzzcuts mentioned above.

Lintilla on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    you would do well with a short spike, messy spike. or with it short and just the front spiked forward. i have no idea what either of these are called but i had a friend who looks a lot like you and he got all the ladies... that was the hair he had

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    can't see your face in the pic. Would've helped but eh I would go with a layered side part for starters. It's a longer cut (not your hair long though) so if you don't like it you can go back and get a new shorter cut. If they ask how long just pull your bangs straight over your face and point about half an inch below your eyebrow.

I have a buddy with about the same face as yours, that's what he sports and he doesn't do too bad with the girls.

Buzz cut isn't a bad option either

Doxa on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Whenever someone makes a haircut thread here, everyone always suggests buzz cuts, and, you know, those really don't look good on everyone, though maybe one would on you.

The best advice is to go to a better hair cutter / dresser (probably a bit more expensive) and talking to them about what you want and what they suggest.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Maybe a bit more information I don't want a buzz cut at all, I would like a little more length than that but no where near as long asmy hair is now.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You have long straight hair. Start forcing it to go back like Sawyer from Lost. Once you train your hair to be long, controlled and out of your eyes without hair gel you are set. Grow a bit of a beard/5 o'clock shadow, maybe wear a bandanna occasionally to help train it; you'll be the cats meow. Plus in the winter you won't need a hat and in the summer you can shake it all about to release the heat every so often.

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    medium01.jpg
    I think that could look good on you

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    What would a nice salon run me? I'll be honest I can't figure out what salons are nice and what are just barbershop level.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    GameHatGameHat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What would a nice salon run me? I'll be honest I can't figure out what salons are nice and what are just barbershop level.

This is going to sound really gay. I apologize. I'm not into that...NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT ;D

From your pic - it looks to me like you have a winning combination. Nice hair (as in texture, color, etc) and a nice face.

This gives you lots of options for a "good" haircut. Congratulations!

What you need to decide is what look you're going for. Going into art school? I like Trus's suggestion. Going into business school? A good Ceasar Cut will be pretty classy. The Men's Bob might work.

Regardless, I would say - get the damn hair out of your eyes. That shit looks - well - eighteen. I do like the advice of asking a stylist what would work - but make sure you go to one that's recommended (ask your female friends)

Expect it to cost maybe $25-$50. More if you color, but you probably don't need that. Might be more in a big city, I'm talking from the Chicago burbs.

GameHat on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I plan on going to a salon tomorrow to ask some questions and see what I get. So far in the thread I haven't really seen anything that's caught my eye, I kinda like the Ceasar cut and trus suggestion but the Ceasar seems kinda shot and I kinda think trus's is too long for what I want. I would like a bit in the middle mainly because I am sick of long hair but don't want it too short.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    purplebubblespurplebubbles Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You might find it hard to find something that looks good in the in-between long & short lengths because, well hair at that length just looks like you are attempting to grow it out and looks awkward.

In my opinions one of the best and most well worn hair cuts for men is to have short back and sides and slightly (ever so slightly) more length on the top to run some hair wax through to give an interesting texture or to spike slightly. You do need to go speak to a hairdresser/stylist at a salon though and always make sure you are on the same page before she/he starts cutting.

purplebubbles on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I plan on going to a salon tomorrow to ask some questions and see what I get. So far in the thread I haven't really seen anything that's caught my eye, I kinda like the Ceasar cut and trus suggestion but the Ceasar seems kinda shot and I kinda think trus's is too long for what I want. I would like a bit in the middle mainly because I am sick of long hair but don't want it too short.
    Caesar cut is really easy and looks great. Ask for a caesar cut, #2 on the sides, tell them you want to flip it up in the front so you want it short on your bangs. Wham bam.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    ElrosstElrosst Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would take more opinions than just the posters here; there isnt anything wrong with long hair, especially at your age.

That being said, you probably still need to get the hair out of your eyes. Talk to a few girls, a few guys that live in your area. See where people go, and if you have to go a town over, so what? The nice thing about having long hair, is you can space out your haircuts, and it's not as noticeable :D Where I live (Nashville), my girlfriend is probably middle range as far as prices go. Before we dated, I'd pay her around $50 for a cut/wash. However, I got a bro discount back then, because we were friends. Generally you tend to have to pay more for a better haircut than the usual Supercuts/generic salon cut.

Elrosst on
  • Options
    TinuzTinuz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Elrosst wrote: »
    Where I live (Nashville), my girlfriend is probably middle range as far as prices go.

Really? :winky:

Tinuz on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well... do you want something really in vogue, do you want something with a defined style, do you want something messy, do you want options with styling, do you want something abstract, do you want something more organic, do you want something with really geometrical lines and shape...
    Do you want it to be cool, emo, modern, classy, parted in the middle, side, swept back...

I can't really tell from the picture, but would we say he has a rectangular face?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    When I get home I will take a new picture and put it up with the hair moved aside for my face shape. I didn't think about that when I was posting the thread. I would prefer to avoid parts and something that I would have to shape or mess with a lot every day, as is I just comb my hair and go I would like something similiar.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I had hair similar to yours a few years back. Not nearly as long but the main point is that I decided to get my hair back to culturally acceptable. I took an electric razor to my own head, selected the clipper length to "4" and cut everything to a uniform length. It turned out to be what people might say "medium" length hair. I snipped it around the ears and back to make it look more even, and that's worked for me ever since.

What I'm trying to say is if you don't have your own haircutting accessories just go to a barber or walmart and get an electric razor yourself. Experiment. You've got long enough hair so that you can afford to do so. Just take a little bit off at a time, maybe with a girl handy nearby to tell you when you look spiffy. I do not recommend using scissors until you have to trim tiny amounts from around your ears or the lower back portion of your neck. And for the 'rat tail' area have a friend do it if possible.

Of course I've also cut it really short at times as well, but short doesn't work with everyone's facial / head structure.

Edit: Looking more closely at your original photo, we have pretty similar facial features. I recommend something like this (without all the ridiculous hairspray, let it sit naturally and don't make it draw attention to you in an odd way):

medium_men_hairstyles_673_1084.jpgmedium_men_hairstyles_674_1085.jpg

I recommend not getting something with a deep part in it, it'll need constant maintenance and I personally don't like the looks of them. Have your bangs sit a few inches shorter than what you have now (bitches love looking into your dreamy shit), and cut your side and back so it sits relatively close to your head. A girl helps tremendously if you're attempting to do this at home.

Right now, if you're wondering, I've cut my hair a lot shorter than any of the pictures suggested. It's just a lot easier to maintain and shows off your facial features, and just feels more collegiate to me. Going to a hair salon and getting it done for about 60-100 bucks for the first time, and then maintaining (trimming occasionally, cutting when necessary) it yourself, is my ideal.

Another note: when you first lop off all your hair it's going to feel really really strange. Do not worry about it, let it sit for a day and if you still don't like it adjust as necessary. Some gel may help if it's short (two inches or shorter).

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mullet.

Timeless and simple.

Chalkbot on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We should be able to see your ears and your eyebrows at the very least.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Just got home kinda exhausted so no new picture tonight.

I really would like to see the left one that eddy posted without all the crazy sticking out and the really edgy guy. I think it would be what I want.\

Picture without the hair covering my facial structure will be put up tomorrow

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Don't get a buzz cut. It will make you look like a serial killer.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So I took the advice in this thread asked my girlfriend and we looked around. I went today to an average priced salon and got the hair cut.

DSCI0219.jpg

So what do you fine folks think? Improvement or should I just let it grow back.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Vastly improved I would say.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    AvatarzAvatarz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You have long straight hair. Start forcing it to go back like Sawyer from Lost. Once you train your hair to be long, controlled and out of your eyes without hair gel you are set. Grow a bit of a beard/5 o'clock shadow, maybe wear a bandanna occasionally to help train it; you'll be the cats meow. Plus in the winter you won't need a hat and in the summer you can shake it all about to release the heat every so often.

Is it really possible to force your hair to grow in a particular way? Never heard of this. Could be the solution for my terrible hair, perhaps...

• Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Improvement by like a BILLION. Sorry if I'm being quite blunt, but you looked like a chick in the first one (actually, you and I had the same haircut), and in the second one it was less "That dude looks like a broad" and more "....whoa!"

:^:

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Shave and see even more of an improvement.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Very well done.

admanb on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shave that thang and you're set.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Eddy wrote: »

Yup.

Nice cut, it suits your hair very well.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The bangs are pretty long for just being cut, they'll be in your eyes in a month.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The bangs are pretty long for just being cut, they'll be in your eyes in a month.

Just needs a pair of scissors.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I say lose the chinstrap beard thing

go for a goatee

Raneados on
  • Options
    Toastie ToastToastie Toast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A vast improvement, I would say. I can actually see your face!

You have good features, but the haircut in the before picture looked dangerously close to this

nocountryforoldmen.jpg

Toastie Toast on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Eddy wrote: »
    Yeah, this. No offense, but you're still pretty young and your beard just isn't very thick yet. I had a "goatee" as a teenager and one of my big regrets is that I didn't get rid of it because in retrospect I looked really silly. Trust me, once you're used to not having it you won't miss it, and you'll have plenty of time to beard it up when you're a few years older.

Also, :^: on the haircut.

Duffel on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think you should do a central soulpatch type thing, you have a high-placed mouth

Raneados on