As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crackdown 2! Zombies?

MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
Title: Crackdown 2
Release Date: TBA 2010
Developer: Ruffian Games
Publisher: Microsoft Game Studio

Crackdown 2 has officially been announced. It's being developed by Ruffian Games, which apparently consists of people who have worked on Crackdown 1, Fable 2, and PGR.
Ruffian wrote:
Hello and Welcome! We're Ruffian Games, recently announced as the developer for Crackdown 2. We've been busy bees working on this for a while in near Stalinesque secrecy. Thankfully the game has been announced at the 2009 E3.
cd2 logo

That's all we can currently say about that (for now) but we don't want to leave you empty handed so there're a few other things we can let you in on. Ruffian Games is a brand new development team based in Scotland's glorious City of Dundee. Despite being less than a year old we've an aeon of experience and proven skill running through our team.

We've worked on many big titles in the past that we're sure you've heard of including Microsoft's Crackdown, Fable 2 and Project Gotham Racing. We hope you've enjoyed them as much as we did.

We all remember bounding from rooftop to rooftop, sniping/punching/throwing gangsters. In a completely original twist, this time around you'll be battling zombies. I don't honestly know how we got to this point, but if the core mechanics of the original Crackdown remain intact, I couldn't care less what we're fighting against. Or for.

Official Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnnhj0rBZIg

Continuing the welcome barrage of trailers is Ruffian Games developed Crackdown 2, first shown during Microsoft’s E3 press conference. Spine tingling stuff.

“The city is infected, you are the cure, our enemies have nowhere to run, just remember neither do you.” That’s pretty much the tagline for the trailer sure to get Crackdown fans awaiting more news.

According to Microsoft the open world “Crackdown 2 lets you be judge, jury and executioner for a vast city”.

The Xbox 360 exclusive “will take multiplayer gaming to unprecedented levels for the ultimate cooperative and competitive multiplayer experience,” co-op thrown in for gamers and their friends to explore Pacific City says Microsoft.

Random Colors.

Discuss.

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
MayGodHaveMercy on

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So these Ruffian guys are comprised, at least partially, of the team that worked on the original Crackdown? Sounds good.

My main beef with the original was that as fun as mucking around the city and kicking cars into the sky was, playing the actual story (what of it there was) got stale fairly quickly. Hopefully there will be more things to do this time around.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Halfmex wrote: »
    So these Ruffian guys are comprised, at least partially, of the team that worked on the original Crackdown? Sounds good.

My main beef with the original was that as fun as mucking around the city and kicking cars into the sky was, playing the actual story (what of it there was) got stale fairly quickly. Hopefully there will be more things to do this time around.

As many hours as I've put into crackdown, I don't think I ever actually finished the story. All I ever did was max out agility and run around like an idiot for hours.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And that's cool too, frankly the 'screwing around and booting pedestrians' thing is always a blast. But with other games, let's use Hulk: UD since it's probably the closest comparison to CD, the game's a bit more varied the further along you go, you know? More moves, more/different enemies, and so on. The original CD didn't have much of that. You got stronger, punched/kicked harder and jumped further, got more accurate with guns (which were largely pointless save for the explosives), but that's about it. I want to see a bit more variation with your abilities this time around.

From what little we see in the trailer, it looks like they're going to be focusing on guns again at least a bit, so let's hope these guns are a bit more worthwhile in this sequel.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, that trailer told and showed me nothing of the game. I'm still hesitant on this game without the original developers but I'll give anything a try.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    1600Points1600Points Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hopefully they have female agents this time, it will be easier for me to get my girlfriend to play it that way.

1600Points on
    Steam ID - 1600Points
    Xbox Live - Doctor Xedd
    Gametap - RIbar77
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zombies seems like a perfect opponent on which to unleash my kick-truck-so-hard-it-explodes tactics.

I mean really, the idea sounds stupid, but given how fucking badass you were in the first game, having legions of mindless infected and subterranean beats to take out frustration on seems like the perfect solution.

xzzy on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Finally, my sick Deadpool fantasies can continue.

I screamed like a schoolgirl upon seeing the video.

Verr on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sounds like those weird infected Flood-esque things from the first game are back with a vengeance.

Cool!

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Voth wrote: »
    Well, that trailer told and showed me nothing of the game. I'm still hesitant on this game without the original developers but I'll give anything a try.

Well, some of the people on the team did work on CD1, so... who knows how much of that crew it is. Hopefully it's all the important ones. :)

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just have to say, Crackdown 2 was my big moment of E3. Nothing in the entire conference got me as excited as Crackdown 2.

I don't even OWN Crackdown. My old roomate bought it for the Halo 3 beta. Then I started playing it, and actually JUST finally got around to beating it. It was the perfect game to spend a couple years on. Focus on my driving, or orbs collection for a week, then get distracted by something shiny and new. But when my wallet was empty and I had finished off whatever game I'd just purchased, and was looking for something to kill time between paychecks, I ALWAYS went back to Crackdown. It's crazy how a game I loved SO MUCH could have taken me SO long to finish, but thats WHY I loved it. I could pick up, be awesome, and go to bed happy, at any time.

So with everything being leaked early and in the age of the internet, there were very few surprises at E3. Yes, Splinter Cell looks awesome - but I always knew it would look awesome. Left 4 Dead 2 is a big shock, but I'm still really actively playing L4D 1 so it wasn't an "I NEED THIS NOW" feeling.

Crackdown 2, after hearing repeatedly that it WASN'T HAPPENING, getting shown -- man, hearing that orb noise -- it was the best moment of E3.

Day 1 purchase. And please spend 3 years making Crackdown 3, so I can beat it right in time for launch =)

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Voth wrote: »

Give me a demo like the first and i'll buy two.

Verr on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There was a story in the first one? All I remember what some guy who for reason makes me think of Robert Stackhouse yelling at me every time I started kicking ass, be it criminal or civie ass.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That's enough, Agent!

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Weren't there monsters or zombies or something in the 3rd section of the city of the first game? I never actually followed the storyline, but I know the into movie when you go to that part of the city shows some sort of creature and talks about genetic modification. Doesnt that always end in zombies?

Hensler on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    there were mutants in the shai-gen area, bu they were only found there i believe.
    they were the only really tough enemy that wasn't another person.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The agency guy is the best voice ever.

He does a voice in Trauma Center: New Blood for the Wii, and I like to think that they're totally in continuity and he's also a bad ass doctor.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Verr wrote: »
    Wait, do what?

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    The agency guy is the best voice ever.

He does a voice in Trauma Center: New Blood for the Wii, and I like to think that they're totally in continuity and he's also a bad ass doctor.

Agreed. His name is Michael McConnohie for those keeping score at home.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I couldn't stop laughing when I put a bad guy in the crosshairs of a sniper rifle and the narrator guy screamed "PULL THE TRIGGER!"

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Wait, do what?

Basically, barring the mega-strength, you're DP. Accurate aim, cool toys, shooting innocents and civilians equally. Good stuff.

Verr on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    4 player co-op?

Yes please.

I never managed to find the last orb in Crackdown. One bastard last orb.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I bought Crackdown for the beta. I stayed for the motherfucking Crackdown.

It was also the gateway drug to DLC for me. I bought that keys to the city pack so fast I wondered what the fuck I'd done. So worth it.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Crackdown is easily one of my favorite games this generation.

Crackdown 2 with zombies can easily top that.

urahonky on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Wait, do what?

Basically, barring the mega-strength, you're DP. Accurate aim, cool toys, shooting innocents and civilians equally. Good stuff.
    Damn. I thought you meant there would be a DP skin or something.

And you're forgetting that CDown doesn't have swords. Swords are essential.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I always wished that there was a zombie mode for Crackdown.

You could say I'm interested in this.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

I bet the notion of this sequel having zombies made you erect so quickly, your pants were flung from your body. :P

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Crackdown 2 was all I wanted from E3. I'm very happy.

I got all of the orbs in the first one. Twice

Samphis on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm amused by the people that seem to think that the mutants are just now being added. You know, considering they were the failed versions of Agents such as the player that roamed the city after you wiped out whoever the Shai-Gen scientist was.

That said, bring on the vehicular manslaughter, and by vehicular manslaughter I mean throwing truck cabs at people.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mechanical wrote: »
    I'm amused by the people that seem to think that the mutants are just now being added. You know, considering they were the failed versions of Agents such as the player that roamed the city after you wiped out whoever the Shai-Gen scientist was.

That said, bring on the vehicular manslaughter, and by vehicular manslaughter I mean throwing truck cabs at people.

They really didn't utilize those things to their full potential.

That said, Prototype is likely to sate all my crazy-superpowers-and-mutant-zombies desires for the foreseeable future, and is likely to do it better than any Crackdown game would.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2009

This here is a man I'd drink with.

I played the crap out of the Crackdown demo, and then bought the game and played the crap out of that too.

Sure, it has its flaws. What passes for story and plot can be played through in three hours if you focus on it, but then you're playing it wrong, in my opinion. I spread the story out between random acts of violence, mayhem and throwing corpses down from skyscrapers.

This is the first time in a long while that I say this: day one.

Echo on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I loved how in the original once you maxxed out your stats the best gun was the scoped pistol. Head shots for everyone in the blink of an eye

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I think Prototype is going to keep me interested till Crackdown 2, but yeah... Day One for both :). Let's hope for some vehicles with weapons in Crackdown 2. Give me a fully loaded tank and gunship/attack helicopter, and I'll recreate World War Z in Crackdown 2 all day.

Hensler on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2009
    I loved how in the original once you maxxed out your stats the best gun was the scoped pistol. Head shots for everyone in the blink of an eye

That's another one of my minor gripes with Crackdown: weapons became too damn good with the near-perfect aim while locked on.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Gyral wrote: »

I bet the notion of this sequel having zombies made you erect so quickly, your pants were flung from your body. :P

Luckily I have my own cube. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My absolute favorite part of Crackdown was sitting on the highway, in the northeast part of the map where civvy cars drive really really fast.

Target their tires, shoot them out, they go spinning out of control. I spent hours laughing at this display. Sometimes I'd shoot the gas tank instead, which was equally amusing.

xzzy on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mechanical wrote: »

this is my new favorite quote.

and I like many of you upon hearing the orb sound was like "no fucking way..." followed by an even bigger "NO FUCKING WAY..." as the l4d tank's shadow appeared upon the wall. Needless to say, i'm pretty stoked.

Edit: and yes, lets have some female agents.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Echo wrote: »

This here is a man I'd drink with.

I played the crap out of the Crackdown demo, and then bought the game and played the crap out of that too.

Sure, it has its flaws. What passes for story and plot can be played through in three hours if you focus on it, but then you're playing it wrong, in my opinion. I spread the story out between random acts of violence, mayhem and throwing corpses down from skyscrapers.

This is the first time in a long while that I say this: day one.

Yeah. I was never interested in the story. I was more interested in jumping around with my friend causing havoc around the entire city. Damn this game was so awesome. :^:

And hell yeah drinks.

urahonky on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    I think Prototype is going to keep me interested till Crackdown 2, but yeah... Day One for both :). Let's hope for some vehicles with weapons in Crackdown 2. Give me a fully loaded tank and gunship/attack helicopter, and I'll recreate World War Z in Crackdown 2 all day.

Did you play the expansion? Because there was a tank.

Samphis on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Echo wrote: »

That's another one of my minor gripes with Crackdown: weapons became too damn good with the near-perfect aim while locked on.

yeah lock on aiming isn't my favorite, if I had a choice I'd choose the 3rd/1st person mixed style like Jet Force Gemini or the new Red Faction game aiming system. What the hell is the appropriate name for that where you are still in 3rd person, but the the aiming reticule in the traditional 1st person style games?

anyway that would make you so appreciate killing a guy street level when you are bounding rooftop to rooftop. The speed at which you move would make it incredibly hard to hit targets which is why I see they went with lock on. Either way the game will be fun.

and give me some damn grapple moves! I want to stand on the edge of a high rise and get a guy up in a stalled suplex, hear him scream a bit before we both go plummeting down 20 stories and crush into the road. Only to have you survive due to the amped up abilities.

Hulk UD really spoiled me with stuff like that and no repercussion for the fall because you are the damn Hulk. Elbow drop away!

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Samphis wrote: »
    Hensler wrote: »

Did you play the expansion? Because there was a tank.

No, but now I'm going to :)

Hensler on