As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Because CC Changes and Norden Watch Weekend Rule

• Options
    SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, really TTK is too high and I say that as a WH. I basically either insta-gib my target, or I fail to do so and am dropped in seconds as soon as I catch the attention of anything. That is a recipe for frustration and it also serves to make things less tactical IMO.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Codersigma wrote: »
    Just out of curiousity what about Engineers is awesome? Their AoE seems weaker than a BW or Slayers and they lack a healing debuff. I've always thought they were a fairly average class.
    They may have less damage than a BW or Slayer but they have better survivability. In our warbands we like having one BW per group maximum because more than that puts extra strain on the healers. Having a different rugged AoE class means less of a heal tax, less worries about Rain of Fire stacking issues, etc. At the same time, I've seen Engineers put insane pressure on the enemy's healers using liberally applied DoTs and Unshakable Focus. And some of their group utility is indispensable. Napalm can prevent people from capping flags for 30 seconds in open RvR, which is sometimes all the extra time you need in order for reinforcements to arrive.

In the interest of full disclosure though, one of my Engineer guildmates is this guy. RR80 and geared to the tits. And this is my Tier 2 Engy, who's in pretty good shape gear-wise for that level. So my frame of reference may be shifted way above average when it comes to Engineers.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, really TTK is too high and I say that as a WH. I basically either insta-gib my target, or I fail to do so and am dropped in seconds as soon as I catch the attention of anything. That is a recipe for frustration and it also serves to make things less tactical IMO.

I've adapted my play-style to fit this though, especially with my low rank WE. I usually pick people off who are by themselves or stragglers from the main group. I never go after another melee if there's a healer within spitting distance because chances are I'll just die.

Prowling works in limited RvR, but it doesn't really work so well in Keep takes, unless I'm camping the area around the postern.

I don't even bother with my WH, because in T4 (as far as I'm concerned) DPS is worthless, with few exceptions.

Havelock on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This amuses me. As a tank, it takes me FOREVER to kill something. I acknowledge that this is a function of my class, but I have to express amusement that DPS classes get frustrated with how quickly they die. They still manage to do 4x as much damage as me in a given scenario, and thus serve a useful function.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    This amuses me. As a tank, it takes me FOREVER to kill something. I acknowledge that this is a function of my class, but I have to express amusement that DPS classes get frustrated with how quickly they die. They still manage to do 4x as much damage as me in a given scenario, and thus serve a useful function.

Doing 4x as much damage as you in a given scenario isn't very useful if we're dead before we reach our target. Given the current AoE wankery/Mass Zerging and other such bullshit, dying happens quite a lot. Also, from my experience, no one wants to heal the DPS because it's considered wasted heals.

I know we're glass cannons, and that having the life expectancy of a moth doused in gasoline flying at a candle is the trade-off, but if we had just an ounce more utility/survivability beyond a one-on-one fight, that would be great.

And just for the record, I haven't played a Choppa/Slayer/Marauder/WL, only WE (T3 DC)/WH (T4 Praag), so it could be different.

Havelock on
  • Options
    CodersigmaCodersigma Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Morskittar wrote: »
    What have I done to miss all the supposed balance issues and frustrations? Sure, I die to Bright Wizards sometimes, but I can usually identify my own actions that led to it.

I feel like I'm missing what gets people to quit.

Lack of any "fun" RvR and no desire to reroll to a new server is pretty much why my friends quit. Note: Getting rolled by 3+:1 numbers, rolling people with 3+:1 numbers, and capping empty BOs/Keeps is not what they consider "fun" RvR.

Codersigma on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Havelock wrote: »

Doing 4x as much damage as you in a given scenario isn't very useful if we're dead before we reach our target. Given the current AoE wankery/Mass Zerging and other such bullshit, dying happens quite a lot. Also, from my experience, no one wants to heal the DPS because it's considered wasted heals.

I know we're glass cannons, and that having the life expectancy of a moth doused in gasoline flying at a candle is the trade-off, but if we had just an ounce more utility/survivability beyond a one-on-one fight, that would be great.

And just for the record, I haven't played a Choppa/Slayer/Marauder/WL, only WE (T3 DC)/WH (T4 Praag), so it could be different.

That's just it. DPS does 4x as much damage as me. So it IS useful. That damage is being done. You're not seeing DPS characters with comparable damage rates to tanks on the charts. They're doing a whole lot more, with more kills. Therefore, they're still accomplishing their goal. It's just frustrating to the DPS players because they essentially get less action time (since more time is spent dead) even though their action time results in more overall effect.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Can anyone help me out? I am attempting to install WAR and I cant patch it, it keeps getting caught up on an audio file saying it cant find it and to try again later.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What have I done to miss all the supposed balance issues and frustrations? Sure, I die to Bright Wizards sometimes, but I can usually identify my own actions that led to it.

Lack of any "fun" RvR and no desire to reroll to a new server is pretty much why my friends quit. Note: Getting rolled by 3+:1 numbers, rolling people with 3+:1 numbers, and capping empty BOs/Keeps is not what they consider "fun" RvR.

Perhaps it's just Iron Rock, but I don't often see huge imbalance or any need to be at an empty keep/BO in T4. The imbalance thing is certainly server specific, but the way T4 is set up there's little or no reason to ever be in an unoccupied zone, unless, perhaps you're only playing on very odd hours.

I'm often mystified by many claims made about WAR - I don't think people are wrong necessarily, it's just amazing to me that experiences are so wildly different.

Fizban - have you hit up a full file check? In my experience if it can't find a file and a file check doesn't fix it, you'll need to reinstall.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So are there any classes that are better at solo leveling then others now?

Ya I know I changed my post.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well, in sub-Tier 4 things are amazingly empty. Since you have to slug through pre-Tier 4 content to get there, I can see a lot of players being turned off by that, Morsk.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    On badlands t2-3 look pretty desolate. The whole time (last 2 weeks) I've been playing t2-3 have been perma-red.

I recently rolled a few dudes on iron rock. Although I'm still mostly in T1 (which has been pretty active), the T2-3 map bars have been constantly moving around.

So it seems to me just a function of server populations. Lower tier Ironrock seems pretty healthy while lower tier order population on Badlands is pretty terribad.

Rakeeth on
  • Options
    TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone going to log onto the test server for the PTS Event? Maybe some Candymancer Vs Six Mouths?:winky:

TetraRay on
    Steam ID: TetraRay
  • Options
    shikeshike Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I went to several different server and Ironrock was the only one I found with active earlier tiers. Kind of a shame for the others but I guess that's the nature of MMO's.

shike on
  • Options
    WolferaWolfera Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    WTH, Mythic. I go out of town for 5 days and you pick two of those days to hand out special (and useful) in game items just for logging in? Arghh.....
    I should make one of you guys go play my WL on test server for a little bit :P

Wolfera on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey guys so I got a trial key and downloaded the client. It took hours to download the patch, and when it got to the end, it said "The program was unable to complete the patch operation. Please try again later." I restarted the computer, and it still gives me this. What's going on?

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Saammiel wrote: »

I thnk you mean TTK is too low, because if it's too high then the rest that is very confusing :P

Or TTK another one of those whacky terms that has the opposite definition of it's logical meaning?

If you want to live in WAR roll a tank or a healer. As a DPS, especially a MDPS, you're going to die a lot.

Both ways can be fun though. Watching Wolvesight stand in the middle of a Destro warband laughing as they tickle him is amusing but so is pouncing on a pack of squishies and watching them all crap their pants at the same time. The difference is I usually need a rez afterwards having killed only one or two of the squishies and while Wolvesight hasn't killed anyone he's kept their attention long enough for their healers to get scattered or killed.

Of course the real solution is really to play with a guild who works together as this far more than anything else in the game will increase your enjoyment out in the RVR lakes.

shike wrote: »
    I went to several different server and Ironrock was the only one I found with active earlier tiers. Kind of a shame for the others but I guess that's the nature of MMO's.

Depends on the day. Some days you can find a few warbands kicking around out in T2 on Badlands, some days you can't. More often than not there's usually something going on in the lower teirs in my experience even if it's just scenario pops.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'll hop on PTS. Would be kinda fun if we did the Candy vs Mouth thing. Although I'm not sure how fair it'd be :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Totally there tonight for the event

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »

I had an amazingly easy time leveling my Ironbreaker with pve, little bastard just wouldn't die, so much so that I kind of forgot about rvr so my renown rank was fairly low for a level 31. After I made the switch to Engineer things weren't quite as easy, but now I kick ass in RVR.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    Fizban140 wrote: »

I had an amazingly easy time leveling my Ironbreaker with pve, little bastard just wouldn't die, so much so that I kind of forgot about rvr so my renown rank was fairly low for a level 31. After I made the switch to Engineer things weren't quite as easy, but now I kick ass in RVR.

Ironbreakers are wonderful things.

I just need to find a good PA order server to play one on.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'll hop on PTS. Would be kinda fun if we did the Candy vs Mouth thing. Although I'm not sure how fair it'd be :P

That would be awesome, but likely very unbalanced.

It would also take babies and/or time to coax Mouths out of their holes for an event.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

It would also take babies and/or time to coax Mouths out of their holes for an event.

They have premades up, they are level 40 with rr60 in all darkpromise gear i believe

TetraRay on
    Steam ID: TetraRay
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Uggghhh, test server patching is slow.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    TetraRay wrote: »

They have premades up, they are level 40 with rr60 in all darkpromise gear i believe

Do you guys have a majority timezone or regular times? PST Sunday nights and Saturday afternoons are our regular group times.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    CodersigmaCodersigma Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Perhaps it's just Iron Rock, but I don't often see huge imbalance or any need to be at an empty keep/BO in T4. The imbalance thing is certainly server specific, but the way T4 is set up there's little or no reason to ever be in an unoccupied zone, unless, perhaps you're only playing on very odd hours.

I'm often mystified by many claims made about WAR - I don't think people are wrong necessarily, it's just amazing to me that experiences are so wildly different.

Fizban - have you hit up a full file check? In my experience if it can't find a file and a file check doesn't fix it, you'll need to reinstall.

I think the wide range of experiences seen on this board are due to a wide range play times and being on at least three different servers (Badlands, Dark Crag, Ironrock, probably others).

Codersigma on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey guys! Look what I got!
    muwahahaha.jpg

Muwahahaha! Fear me lesser riders! I'll be working on getting a screen of the Magus disc.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Gratz on the mount!

What are these free items that you get for just logging in? Is it test servers only or live?

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Gratz on the mount!

What are these free items that you get for just logging in? Is it test servers only or live?

I have gotten 3 items from Mythic from this promotion. The first is a canine side kick pet (non combat) and then a collar which gives my group a boost. Further more is the lovely Mount which I sport there which is large, in charge, and is the fastest mount in the game. :3

http://www.warhammeronline.com/recruit/

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How I do this

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I play a 40 Black Orc, 40 Black Guard, 40 Marauder, 40 Shaman, and a 34 Zealot...

I'm pretty familiar with what is not balanced in the game.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Btw guys, log into the test server and test stuff out. Send feedback etc. You can get the Shroud of Imperatpheris or whatever. :3

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=814

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    TetraRay wrote: »

Do you guys have a majority timezone or regular times? PST Sunday nights and Saturday afternoons are our regular group times.

Yeah, without the premades it'd probably be unfair. :P

For the most part we're on in the evenings (like 4p to 10p/11p eastern) but we have a group of late nighters/west coasters too. I think we're missing a few from both groups at the moment though.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    WolferaWolfera Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    muwahahaha.jpg

Muwahahaha! Fear me lesser riders! I'll be working on getting a screen of the Magus disc.

/jealous :(
    Hurry and get your pic of the Magus disc. I've never seen a screenshot of it, and I still want to know if it looks as lame as the other mount discs- ie, as Order I never have any idea when Magus(es?) are mounted as all the discs look the same :P

Wolfera on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    definately enjoyed Lotd for the 40ish minutes we had it before order exploited it back open

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wolfera wrote: »
    muwahahaha.jpg

/jealous :(
    Hurry and get your pic of the Magus disc. I've never seen a screenshot of it, and I still want to know if it looks as lame as the other mount discs- ie, as Order I never have any idea when Magus(es?) are mounted as all the discs look the same :P

Sadly it is the same as the duck mount for being Guild Rank 37 or whatever. Its got a spiffier color scheme that is unique it looks like and a nice set of particle effects. Its got a really neato swirling though. Picture coming soon.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So i posted some feedback on the official forums about how the current random drop system is less than stellar, and I received a response from mythic.
    Greetings,

All Tyrant set gear that drops from the Land of the Dead will be broken armor when it appears. Many other items that exist have no class or racial restrictions on them, such as the Vessel Weapons from the lairs or the ten different two piece trinket sets that are also sold from the vendors. The items which are class specific will appear with high frequency. Please feel free to post feedback regarding your experiences with this system.

Happy hunting,

H

Holy flaming shitballs, no more running an instance 50 times to get something.

Link to original post

http://forums.warhammeronline.com/warhammer/board/message?board.id=1-3_gd&thread.id=6261

Detharin on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I am trying to get back into this game but I just do not find it very fun. The servers are almost empty at lower levels which kills the atmosphere, just feels like a single player game with some multiplayer deathmatch. Anyways whats a highly populated area and a fun class to play as?

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Empire is usually your best bet for T1 if you're looking for action out in the lakes. T2 and T3 move around quite a bit so your best bet is to probably zone hop until you find a warband to hook up with.

As far as classes, um, they're all pretty fun? It kind of depends on what you're looking for.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For Order side, as long as you dont play a White Lion, and possibly a Shadow Warrior you should find yourself in pretty good shape. Once the pet pathing gets fixed, the White Lion will be a very strong class as well.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski