As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

3d Wolfenstein on XBLA and PSN!

NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
Anyone give it a go? I've been on an FPS binge as of late, and I'm still making my way through Duke Nukem 3d. Still, it's nice to see a piece of Videogame history released for about 5 bucks.

NaturalNarcissist on

• DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I plan on giving it a go eventually, but I actually just picked up Doom 1 on the XBLA. It's holding up rather nicely!

Darlan on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wasn't the original Wolf 3-D a shareware game? Obviously there's value in the convenience of XBL, but why pay for something that's free. I remember having all of the Wolf 3-D episodes on a single 3.5" floppy.

Lucascraft on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I admire it as a piece of history, but I don't remember it being a great deal of fun the last time I played it, at least compared to Doom that is. I haven't picked up the trial yet, so I dunno how well it works on Live Arcade.

BloodySloth on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Wasn't the original Wolf 3-D a shareware game? Obviously there's value in the convenience of XBL, but why pay for something that's free. I remember having all of the Wolf 3-D episodes on a single 3.5" floppy.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Wolfenstein 3D was released as shareware, which allowed it to be copied widely. The shareware release contains one episode, consisting of 10 missions (levels). The commercial release consists of three episodes including the shareware episode, and a mission pack called "The Nocturnal Missions". Like the shareware episode, each commercial episode contains 10 levels, bringing the game to a total of 60 missions.

DarkPrimus on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thread title is deceptive. Is this Wolfenstein 3D or a 3D Wolfenstein?

-Loki- on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The one that came out 17 years ago. And is, inexplicably, the same price as Doom on XBLA.

Zxerol on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Shareware doesn't mean it's free. It's just means that a portion of the game (typically the first episode) can be freely distributed, as a demo of sorts.

Undead Scottsman on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »
    The one that came out 17 years ago. And is, inexplicably, the same price as Doom on XBLA.

Why is that inexplicable? It's five bucks and it's the whole Wolf 3D package. That's a pretty good deal.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • D00MD00M Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wasn't sure about getting this, endless corridors and such.
    But I'm glad I did now, I'm enjoying it more than I should. And It's linked to the upcoming Wolfenstein via an achievement gaining you 1000 gold to spend, though this hardly justifies the purchase.

D00M on
    D00M66.png
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    D00M wrote: »
    Wasn't sure about getting this, endless corridors and such.
    But I'm glad I did now, I'm enjoying it more than I should. And It's linked to the upcoming Wolfenstein via an achievement gaining you 1000 gold to spend, though this hardly justifies the purchase.
    Yeah, they're really not doing a very good job of promoting the new one. Is anyone actually looking forward to it? They haven't really communicated what new stuff they're bringing to the table.

Darlan on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    brynstar wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »

Why is that inexplicable? It's five bucks and it's the whole Wolf 3D package. That's a pretty good deal.

Well, yeah, I guess. I'm just wondering why anyone would get Wolf3D over Doom at the same price, what with no multi or coop and a far more archaic game design. Unless you really, really like shooting up pixellated Nazis and MechaHitler. It's still got some old-school charm, I'll admit, but eh...

Maybe if it was priced like 300 pts I'd be less snarky about it. Whatevs.

edit: although i have heard that it has some sort of interface with the upcoming new Wolfenstein game, so maybe it'll be worth it anyway.

Zxerol on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Never did get to play this, might pick it up. It's only 5 clams.

UnbreakableVow on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd pay $5 for Doom - no way for Wolfenstien though. It just doesn't mean as much to me.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I also played too much of this. My first time attempting college, when most everyone had 486's and were playing awesome "modern" games like Descent and Duke3D, my cheap second-hand 286 PC could only play Wolf3d. Not even Doom.

Forget high def and surround sound. It'll be interesting to see what this game sounds like with a sound card, period.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • D00MD00M Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hopefully this signals a release for Doom II, It's long overdue for XBL D:

It's also my hope they port some form of Doom for DSi, The camera could be put to good use (replacing the Doom Marines face?)

D00M on
    D00M66.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i picked it up, its pretty fun if you have nostalgia for the original. doesnt hold up nearly as well as the doom games though, from an actual gameplay standpoint.

Ah_Pook on
  • Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Looking back to the days of strafing down every wall pressing spacebar....

This game sucked yet I still played it a fair bit.

Funguy McAids on
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I picked it up for the iphone a few weeks back for two dollars. The wall textures are much nicer than the original version, and it's pretty fun as a portable game, but the level design for many levels was quite atrocious.

Serious_Scrub on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    But how do I press MLI on an 360 controller??!!

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • RavenidRavenid Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hmmm.....this could lead to a flood of rereleases of early FPS games.

Doom I & II: Its Doom they should have been available on XBL Arcade day 1.:^:
    Rise of the Triad??? So crap its brilliant.8-)
    Blake Stone 1&2: So crap......hey it would be a laugh.:winky:

Ravenid on
    banner_en.gif

Regardless of what site you're on, you're still on the internet. There will always be retards - ThisGuy
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why they haven't re-released doom 2 with a better engine and decent MP is beyond me. I would love to see that revisited.

And golden eye. Online multiplayer on XBL with golden eye would be great to get back. provided the latency doesn't suck (doom's netcode sucked)

Viscountalpha on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I downloaded the demo, and it is exactly as I remember, though slightly smoother, obviously.

One thing I forgot about did come back to me after about 15 minutes of play, though: The horrible painful nausea and motion sickness that I used to get when playing FPS games on 16-bit consoles.

Other than forcing me to lie down in a dark room for an hour, I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I would get it if it were slightly cheaper.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• RavenidRavenid Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And golden eye. Online multiplayer on XBL with golden eye would be great to get back. (doom's netcode sucked)

Whats the better game to have on XBL? Goldeneye or Perfect Dark?

Ravenid on
    banner_en.gif

Regardless of what site you're on, you're still on the internet. There will always be retards - ThisGuy
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ravenid wrote: »
    And golden eye. Online multiplayer on XBL with golden eye would be great to get back. (doom's netcode sucked)

Whats the better game to have on XBL? Goldeneye or Perfect Dark?

Perfect Dark for multiplayer, GoldenEye for single-player.

Goddamn GoldenEye had some fantastic single-player.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2009
    man ive been having a ton of fun with this lately. its dead simple and the lack of a map makes some levels kind of painful, but still. if you dont have massive nostalgia for the original its probably not worth playing at this point but yeah im having a blast.

Ah_Pook on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wait, I don't get it. Is this a true 3D remake of Wolfenstein 3D or is it just Wolfenstein 3D written incorrectly?

Food on
    edited June 2009
    its just a port of wolf3d, dunno whats up with the thread title.

Ah_Pook on
  • Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Did this really not have a map when it came out? I could have sworn it did. That seals the deal for me right there. No way in hell am buying this without an auto-map. Hell with that.

Ravenid wrote:

Doom I & II: Its Doom they should have been available on XBL Arcade day 1.
    Rise of the Triad??? So crap its brilliant.
    Blake Stone 1&2: So crap......hey it would be a laugh.

Doom I is already out on XBLA, and is a totally fantastic port. And only 400 Microsftbucks.

IMO it's held up great over time.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yup, no map. A map feature in Doom was considered to be one of the revolutionary features.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    the map in doom was pretty mind blowing at the time, if memory serves. also every single other thing about doom. that game rocked my universe when it came out.

man i would kill a dude to get doom 2 on psn. ive already got like 5 copies of it for various platforms from over the years, but i would bu it again in a second. get some sweet sweet co-op going.

Ah_Pook on
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    the iPhone version has an automap, which Carmack managed to add during the four days it took for him to port it to iPhone

Serious_Scrub on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ravenid wrote: »

Doom I & II: Its Doom they should have been available on XBL Arcade day 1.:^:
    Rise of the Triad??? So crap its brilliant.8-)
    Blake Stone 1&2: So crap......hey it would be a laugh.:winky:

RoTT and Blake Stone are both available on gog.com. Enjoy!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51