As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Great restaurants in Sunnyvale, CA

jclastjclast Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Anybody live in Sunnyvale, CA? I will be there on business next week and will have plenty of per diem money to blow on food. I used to live in the area so exact directions are not a must, but I was all poor and then married to a woman who is not especially adventurous when it comes to food.

No preference for ethnicity or style - just looking for good places to eat that I might not have access to here in CO.

Oh, in case it matters I will be staying near the Lockheed Martin / Blue Cube / Yahoo! buildings. So if your place is nearby to those I might even be able to bug out in the middle of the day to take locals out for lunch on the company dime. :)

camo_sig2.png
jclast on

• Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What distance range are you talking about?

I think downtown Mountain View probably has better restaurants than Sunnyvale does, though I'm not often up there too often (other than the movie theater next to the Yahoo stuff), so my knowledge of Sunnyvale is somewhat poor... I had an ex-gf that liked the sushi place in the great american mall, but otherwise I'm somewhat useless (though I'm curious to hear other recommendations)

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    Capncrunch7Capncrunch7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In n Out burger, and pocket the rest of your per diem :)

Capncrunch7 on
    XBLA: gogogadgetchris
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pasta? is a pretty good place. Not sure if they're in Sunnyvale, but there's one in Palo Alto and one in Mountain View, both of which are pretty close.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Murphy Street (downtown) has tons of restaurants. I work easy walking distance from there and I haven't been to everything yet. You can pretty much walk around and pick a restaurant and it will be good. Except the sushi place, it's meh and the service is awful. There's also Castro Street in Mountain View. Either area should be easily findable through google maps.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah if you go to the In N' Out, be sure to make the drive to the one on Steven's Creek in Sunnyvale and NOT the one at Mercado in Santa Clara. My friends and I used to joke that the Mercado In N' Out was an impostor In N' Out because the quality was so bad.

If you are looking for sushi check out Sushi California located at 4477 Stevens Creek Blvd, Santa Clara, CA 95051.

If you are looking for some yogurt marinated lamb then check out the Afghan restaurant 'Kabul' located at 833 W El Camino Real Sunnyvale, CA 94087.

They have a ton of good Pho restaurants everywhere. The only one I'd really stay away from is Pho Hoa on the corner of Lawrence and El Camino unless it's late and you're trying to get over that hangover.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Already knew about In N' Out so I'll definitely be hitting that up as I don't have one in CO. And I love pasta so it looks like a short drive to Mountain View is in order. After that it's wandering around on Murphy St. for me. Thanks! :)

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    237 to El Camino - Frankie Johnny and Luigi's in Mountain View.

Oh good lord, do I miss their food. They have the world's best lasagna.

My favorite place though is in SF proper- do you plan on heading that far?

chaosisorder on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Nope, I'll be putting in fairly long days. I'll get up to this Frankie Johnny and Luigi's though.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CrystalMethodistCrystalMethodist Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you have any friends at Google, get lunch at one of the restaurants on campus.

If you like BBQ or New Orleans food, go to Uncle Franks.

My two favorite restaurants in Palo Alto are Joya and Tamarin, probably in that order. You can't really go wrong with either, but they're on the pricier side.

Oaxacan Kitchen has really awesome Mexican food with fresh tortillas that they make right in front of you. La Costena has incredible Mexican food that's easy to get on the go-- it's in the back of this market but my god is the chicken mole incredible.

There's a lot of great Thai food in the area. The sushi places in Palo Alto are all really good.

Stop at the Nuthouse on California Ave. if you're looking for a drink.

CrystalMethodist on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The sushi places in Palo Alto are all really good.

This is very true.

EDIT: Went to Sushi Tomo a few times. Very delicious.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Amici's if you're in the mood for pizza.

MisterGrok on
    GamerTag: aintnodancer
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My two favorite restaurants in Palo Alto are Joya and Tamarin, probably in that order. You can't really go wrong with either, but they're on the pricier side.

If Palo Alto isn't too far, Tamarin is a really great restaurant (especially if the tab is covered :))

Frankie Johnny and Luigi's is also really really good - and they're one of the few places around here open for dinner 'til like midnight... I'd probably say they have a better selection of food than Pasta?, though both are good

But yeah, Castro St in Mt View has a lot of really good places - I thought Xanh was pretty good the one time I've been there

As an FYI, Marie Calendar's has amazing pies; their food is a typical Applebees/etc type place, but the pies.. mmm...

*edit

and as a New Yorker, Amici's pizza is really not even close to New York style - Pizza My Heart is actually probably the closest to NY pizza I've found out here, Amici's burns theirs waaaaaay too much

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Exactly how much do you have to spend? Because once my awesome uncle took us here, and damn.

http://www.alexanderssteakhouse.com/

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh yeah definitely check out Alexander's. Best $25 Cheeseburger ever. It's expensive but well worth it.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We have a lot of Indian guys at our work and their preference for food when we order is from Spice Hut; http://www.spicehut.us/spicehut/ It's 'fast food', so cheap and quick, but I can attest to it being very tasty.

Janson on
  • Options
    Teen_014.jpgTeen_014.jpg Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    hanuman in downtown san jose for great thai food.

i believe its on san fernando between first and second.

Teen_014.jpg on
    I was told this was offensive.