As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is the Live Gold Standard Slowly Fading?

• Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Obviously people have different ideas of value, which is fine. If you're cool with spending money on a per game basis, go ahead and keep on trucking. If you bought a bunch of $70-$80 carts back in the 90s and now you think gaming is a steal, good on you. I have 6 cartridges for my SNES because the games were too expensive back then. As games get more popular, they should get cheaper - don't you still remember when a new DVD with no special features that you had to flip over halfway-through the movie cost $30 or more?

Me? I played games on Prodigy until an actual ISP came to my hometown, and then I goofed off with 300+ pings in Quake and Team Fortress. It was free, it was arcane, it was convoluted, but goddamn was it fun. And I never had to pay an extra cent for the privilege.

Spend your money how you want, you don't have to justify it to me. Just don't tell me I'm picky or retarded for choosing to go for a free alternative with similar functionality.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    It's only a one week wait time for demos. It isn't that long.

Its not an issue of patience. Well, maybe it is for some. What annoys me is people calling it "early access" for Gold users. No, its "on-time access" for Gold users, and "late access" for Silver. At the very least, they should lift the Gold requirement for demo download the same day the same demo hits PSN. Its kind of insulting to 360 owners to make them pay up to get a demo that PS3 users can download without any subscription.

Dirty on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    All I want out of my console online is multiplayer and downloading demos.

This factored heavily (along with hardware reliability) into the recent purchase of a PS3.

If I can get the same features I want elsewhere for free, why would I go with the system that requires me to pay $50 a year?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

This factored heavily (along with hardware reliability) into the recent purchase of a PS3.

If I can get the same features I want elsewhere for free, why would I go with the system that requires me to pay $50 a year?
    You don't get the same features.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    mugginns wrote: »

I highlighted the relevant parts you may have missed on your first read-through of my post.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dirty wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    It's only a one week wait time for demos. It isn't that long.

Its not an issue of patience. Well, maybe it is for some. What annoys me is people calling it "early access" for Gold users. No, its "on-time access" for Gold users, and "late access" for Silver. At the very least, they should lift the Gold requirement for demo download the same day the same demo hits PSN. Its kind of insulting to 360 owners to make them pay up to get a demo that PS3 users can download without any subscription.

There are though for some US PSN owners have to pay for that online magazine thing to get some early access to demos right? wasn't motorstorm 2 demo one of those?

I do agree though it is stupid to force late access to demos for non gold users, when these things are supposed to be promotional items to sell the retail game.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I highlighted the relevant parts you may have missed on your first read-through of my post.
    For multiplayer, you are not getting the same features from PS3.

edit: or Wii, or DS, or PS2, or PC...

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Judging from my experiences with the Wii playing Kart and Smash, I'd say I'm getting a hell of a lot more features, actually.

And I find it easy to set up games with friends with my PS3. That's all I care about.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Did Smash even have voice chat? Didn't it use friend codes, and you couldn't set up a lobby or something like that?

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

For multiplayer, you are not getting the same features from PS3.

He didn't specify that he needed good matchmaking.

Ziggymon wrote: »
    There are though for some US PSN owners have to pay for that online magazine thing to get some early access to demos right? wasn't motorstorm 2 demo one of those?

I do agree though it is stupid to force late access to demos for non gold users, when these things are supposed to be promotional items to sell the retail game.

Yeah, Sony still does things that annoy me. Qore-timed-exclusive demos is one. Not requiring demos for download-only titles is another. At least Qore's stupidity is limited a few demos a year, and not standard across the board.

Dirty on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Things that 360 does that PSN does not (or, at least, I could not find):

- Web-Based Friends List Management and Messaging
    - Web-Based Profile
    - Party Voice Chat

Those are really nice, and now that I'm used to them, I miss them when I'm trying to play with friends on PSN. Worth the Gold? Perhaps.

Houn on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Houn wrote: »

- Web-Based Profile
    - Party Voice Chat

Those are really nice, and now that I'm used to them, I miss them when I'm trying to play with friends on PSN. Worth the Gold? Perhaps.

How do you manage your friends lists online? I ask because GFWL still hasn't got a separate client, and something like that might make things easier to manage.

subedii on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    subedii wrote: »

- Web-Based Profile
    - Party Voice Chat

How do you manage your friends lists online? I ask because GFWL still hasn't got a separate client, and something like that might make things easier to manage.

From the site, xboxlive.com, you can sign in and add, remove and send text messages to your friends. Can't listen to voice messages sent from the 360 (last I checked), but it's really convenient when browsing a PA thread and you see "Hey, friend me, and we'll play <whatever> tonight, gamertag awesomesauce!" and then just go send a friend request right there.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    subedii wrote: »

- Web-Based Profile
    - Party Voice Chat

From the site, xboxlive.com, you can sign in and add, remove and send text messages to your friends. Can't listen to voice messages sent from the 360 (last I checked), but it's really convenient when browsing a PA thread and you see "Hey, friend me, and we'll play <whatever> tonight, gamertag awesomesauce!" and then just go send a friend request right there.

You know what's funny? I can go to the Xbox site and it'll let me log into my GFW Live account, but I go to the official GFWL site and there's nowhere for me to login. :lol:

Meanwhile the stand alone client they released was only for marketplace and doesn't allow you to send messages or edit your friends. All that still has to be done in-game.

Honestly, they keep talking about how they really want GFWL to succeed, but it's pretty clear by now they're not interested in it anymore. I guess once the option of subscriptions didn't stick, neither did the support. Understandable really, but they're not really going to be able to compete with Steam this way. It was pretty telling that the first major update was to make Marketplace available, and really nothing since.

EDIT: And apparently, since I'm on a Silver account, I can't send or receive messages (it lists my messages as empty). But I can in-game on the PC games. In a way I can understand why it's done this way, but this just makes it all the more apparent that either MS's Live policy on the PC just isn't thought through enough, or they desperately need a stand-alone client.

subedii on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

cool, I did the same thing. Let's play Gears 2 sometime. . . oh wait.

ok, gears 2 might not be your cup of tea, but *insert 360 exclusive multiplayer game name here* is a feature that you can't get elsewhere which is sort of where that free PSN vs pay 360 line of thought bottoms out.

I have more friends with 360s than I do with PS3s so most of my multiplayer times goes in to the 360, so to maintain contact with my friends I have to pay for live. I'm certainly glad the PS3 doesn't have a paid account because then I don't think I'd be able to afford one or the other.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    To be honest GFWL is pretty irrelevant as far as gaming discussions go, there really is no reason to use it.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    To be honest GFWL is pretty irrelevant as far as gaming discussions go, there really is no reason to use it.

I think it could be a really awesome system. I mean it's already fully integrated with XBL, you can be playing a PC game and still see everyone who's on XBL. The potential is there, it's just that I don't think MS sees a reason to invest in it anymore, so it's just going to languish in obscurity with no real purpose.

subedii on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There are a handful of GFWL titles on PC, and from what I understand they all require achievements. I should try playing Fallout 3 on my PC with GFWL running sometime to see if I get credit for them.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »
    There are a handful of GFWL titles on PC, and from what I understand they all require achievements. I should try playing Fallout 3 on my PC with GFWL running sometime to see if I get credit for them.

Yeah, you unlock achievements in Fallout 3 if you're logged into GFWL at the same time. Similarly, Dawn of War 2 and its achievements show up on your gamercard and add to your gamerscore just like any 360 game would.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The demo thing is damned dumb, too. Because of it I'll usually end up playing a demo on my PS3, and because of that a lot of times I'll get that game on my PS3 because that's where I played the demo, too. So Microsoft putting that on their live gold thing is making them lose money there.

Microsoft's whole system this generation just pisses me off every time I even think about it. I have it and I like the games that I do have for it, but it seems that's despite Microsoft's best efforts to make me hate everything to do with it. They just nickel and dime you to death for every little thing, and it's pretty disgusting. I mean right now I'm pissed off because my girlfriend wanted Banjo Tooie on her account. Well, it's a 1200 point game, and you can only buy 1000 or 2000 points. Who at Microsoft thought that we wouldn't get that this is clearly a fucking way to drag more money out of people than they want? Yeah, I get it. Fuck you Microsoft. On the PSN I can pay exactly how much I need for my content. If it were the same as Microsofts, I can safely say I wouldn't have bought nearly as much DLC as I have so far. In fact, because of this system I try and avoid buying anything on XBLA too, and I'll gladly buy it on PSN instead.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The demo thing is damned dumb, too. Because of it I'll usually end up playing a demo on my PS3, and because of that a lot of times I'll get that game on my PS3 because that's where I played the demo, too. So Microsoft putting that on their live gold thing is making them lose money there.

Microsoft's whole system this generation just pisses me off every time I even think about it. I have it and I like the games that I do have for it, but it seems that's despite Microsoft's best efforts to make me hate everything to do with it. They just nickel and dime you to death for every little thing, and it's pretty disgusting. I mean right now I'm pissed off because my girlfriend wanted Banjo Tooie on her account. Well, it's a 1200 point game, and you can only buy 1000 or 2000 points. Who at Microsoft thought that we wouldn't get that this is clearly a fucking way to drag more money out of people than they want? Yeah, I get it. Fuck you Microsoft. On the PSN I can pay exactly how much I need for my content. If it were the same as Microsofts, I can safely say I wouldn't have bought nearly as much DLC as I have so far. In fact, because of this system I try and avoid buying anything on XBLA too, and I'll gladly buy it on PSN instead.

I don't mind paying a few bucks a month for the online play but holy shit does the bolded piss me off.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I don't mind paying a few bucks a month for the online play but holy shit does the bolded piss me off.

Everyone does it. It's not just Microsoft. Even the PSN does it right? You can only buy in like 5, 10, 20 intervals. The Wii only allows 1000,2000, and 5000 points I think. Man it's been a while since I bought something from the Wii I can't remember.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

Everyone does it. It's not just Microsoft. Even the PSN does it right? You can only buy in like 5, 10, 20 intervals. The Wii only allows 1000,2000, and 5000 points I think. Man it's been a while since I bought something from the Wii I can't remember.

Nope, with the PSN you can buy whatever you want at whatever price (5 dollar min, though, because of the way credict cards work, I believe). All you do is put stuff in your cart and check out like any other online store, and it takes exactly what you need. Sure, I think you can only ADD things to your wallet in increments like that, but you don't have to add stuff to your wallet at all. Just purchase what you want.

If I want something that's priced at 5.99 on the PSN, I'm charged exactly 5.99 on my card.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Nope, with the PSN you can buy whatever you want at whatever price (5 dollar min, though, because of the way credict cards work, I believe). All you do is put stuff in your cart and check out like any other online store, and it takes exactly what you need. Sure, I think you can only ADD things to your wallet in increments like that, but you don't have to add stuff to your wallet at all. Just purchase what you want.

If I want something that's priced at 5.99 on the PSN, I'm charged exactly 5.99 on my card.

Eh. I never even knew that existed. I just add $20 every once in a while just in case something big comes out and I pick it up. I figure I know I'm going to spend the money eventually. Why get up in arms about buying 2000 points instead of 1200? That leaves you 800 for another great XBLA game.

urahonky on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You can buy points in increments of 400 points from the Zune store (log in with your liveID and the points show up on your gamertag. Granted, that does not help DLC with smaller point values, but you never have to overpay for an XBLA game again.

Or you could just buy the game from Amazon and get an XBLM code.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just FYI for those on the fence about XBL: every once in a blue moon, Amazon will have a sale on XBL yearly subscription cards. A few months back I bought a 13 month card for $30.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Zenitram wrote: »
    Just FYI for those on the fence about XBL: every once in a blue moon, Amazon will have a sale on XBL yearly subscription cards. A few months back I bought a 13 month card for $30.

Yeah I picked one up, and took my Credit Card off my account.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Eh. I never even knew that existed. I just add $20 every once in a while just in case something big comes out and I pick it up. I figure I know I'm going to spend the money eventually. Why get up in arms about buying 2000 points instead of 1200? That leaves you 800 for another great XBLA game.

I dunno, it's like going into a Wal-Mart to buy a new game, but you can only pay them 100 dollars for it, even though it costs 60 bucks. It's okay, though, because you can buy another great 40 dollar game from them! Most people would tell Wal-Mart to fuck off and go buy it at Gamestop or something.

I don't want to buy another fucking 800 point game right now. Forcing people to pay way too much and then justifying it with "well, there are other great things you can put that towards" is just kind of silly.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I dunno, it's like going into a Wal-Mart to buy a new game, but you can only pay them 100 dollars for it, even though it costs 60 bucks. It's okay, though, because you can buy another great 40 dollar game from them! Most people would tell Wal-Mart to fuck off and go buy it at Gamestop or something.

I don't want to buy another fucking 800 point game right now. Forcing people to pay way too much and then justifying it with "well, there are other great things you can put that towards" is just kind of silly.

Then buy the game for 1200, and sit on the 800 points. That way when a game comes out for 800 you don't have to pay a dime.
    I know what you mean, I just don't think it should be a reason you don't buy anything on XBLA since there are so many fantastic games on it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Then buy the game for 1200, and sit on the 800 points. That way when a game comes out for 800 you don't have to pay a dime.
    I know what you mean, I just don't think it should be a reason you don't buy anything on XBLA since there are so many fantastic games on it.

I know there are some good things on there. For the most part though I rarely get into the smaller arcade games to begin with. So anything that comes out for both systems the PSN already has my favor just because I can pay with exactly that and not have to worry about paying more or thinking about what else I want.

I suppose I may also do less complaining if I had Rock Band for my 360, which I don't. I have it for my PS3, so it's not like I can spend any extra points on that.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I know there are some good things on there. For the most part though I rarely get into the smaller arcade games to begin with. So anything that comes out for both systems the PSN already has my favor just because I can pay with exactly that and not have to worry about paying more or thinking about what else I want.

I suppose I may also do less complaining if I had Rock Band for my 360, which I don't. I have it for my PS3, so it's not like I can spend any extra points on that.

I'm telling you. Buy points from the Zune store or buy XBLA games via Amazon. Yes, the tickets system MS has set up is stupid, but there are 2 easy ways around it for buying XBLA games.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    jclast wrote: »

I'm telling you. Buy points from the Zune store or buy XBLA games via Amazon. Yes, the tickets system MS has set up is stupid, but there are 2 easy ways around it for buying XBLA games.

Yeah, I didn't know about the Zune store thing, so when I want something I'll definitely look into that or Amazon. Still kind of silly that I have to go a backdoor route when it'd be easier for Microsoft to just make the points you can put on your account the same as what they charge for games.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    At E3 MS showed that you can purchase full 360 games for exactly the price asked for. Not too sure if they will migrate that over to the Arcade, but it'd be a nice gesture.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    At E3 MS showed that you can purchase full 360 games for exactly the price asked for. Not too sure if they will migrate that over to the Arcade, but it'd be a nice gesture.

I think they confirmed that this was only for large purchases not for smaller ones due to charges from credit card companies.

One thing im a little annoyed at with XBL is that lack of regulation on specific DLC pricing. In particular I don't see why online multiplayer based DLC such as new online multiplayer maps are charged at higher rates than that of non online based DLC. Its annoying to think that this DLC cannot be used unless you subscribe to XBL Gold service, luckily there are companies that reduce the price or end up releasing the content for free down the line in the future.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    DemanKnghtDemanKnght Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jclast wrote: »

I can understand why people dislike it but Jclast has pointed out a way around it. I cruised amazon a few minutes ago and its pretty solid. Pay the cash amount and get a code.

As for the Netflix thing it was cool when it came out but I just recently bought a stand alone Bluray player and it had the feature built in. I prefer it on the Bluray player due to it being quieter then the Xbox. I don't think it will go away. Personally I like it cause it mainly slaps a name to someone and allows me to not have to put up with them if I dont want to. Oh well to each thier own I guess.

DemanKnght on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

It's the same reason I refuse to buy anything off of MS Marketplace on the PC, this stupid obsession with their MS fun money and their idiotic pricing structure designed to make you waste money. I have the means to spend actual money.

I've said this before but when I want to buy something off of Steam I don't need to drop 3000 Newells to get it.

subedii on
  • Options
    Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I got a month of Gold account free with GTA IV and I have to say that from my experience, LIVE's multiplayer support is absolutely nothing special.

Subsequently, I do not pay for Gold. It's a rip off.

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For the life of me, I cannot manage my XBL account from the web. I go to the Xbox site, and when I try to log in, it takes me to a sign up page where I have to sign up for Live. Can't figure it out at all. I actually sent them an e-mail awhile back, and they couldn't figure out what my problem was, so I gave up.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I got a month of Gold account free with GTA IV and I have to say that from my experience, LIVE's multiplayer support is absolutely nothing special.

2nd. I like the multiplayer aspect of games, but I shouldn't have to pay for it. Pretty soon they'll be charging for even more menial things.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

A man chooses..

darleysam on
    forumsig.png