As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Invincible Thread!

• KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Robert Kirkman on The Viltrumite War

"It seems like a fun thing to build up a story over seventy issues, but when it comes time to actually doing some kind of a pay off from that, expectations are running pretty high. About a year ago, I sat down and said, 'Okay, I really have to plan this out, map out exactly what's going to happen and make sure that it's cool enough.' I think that Ryan and I are going to blow the door off of this thing. We have some pretty insane things planned. It's going to be the biggest storyline that's been in 'Invincible' so far."

Mark won't be alone in his war against the Viltrumites. Kirkman identified Omni-Man and Allen the Alien as two of the story-arc's most actively involved characters, though there's another old Kirkman favorite joining the battle as well. "I'm bringing back Tech Jacket from my first creator-owned Image Comics series," he revealed. "He's showed up in the 'Invincible' universe from time to time, so he'll be somewhat of a key player in the war."

"There have been a few different Viltrumites that have appeared over the course of the series, and we're going to finally learn a lot more about them and who they are. We haven't even seen who the leader of the Viltrumites is, and that's going to be revealed soon. Be on the lookout for that."

"There will be some deaths along the way. I hope people aren't too fond of Allen the Alien," Kirkman laughed. "Oh, he might live, don't get your panties in a bunch. Remember that stuff about Atom Eve? I would definitely think that Allen is not going to die because I said that! Or maybe I'm saying that to throw you off the trail. Who knows, man? Who knows what's going to happen? Invincible is probably going to die and we'll get a new series called 'Debbie Grayson, Invincible Mom.'"

"Anyone that's concerned that the whole crux of the series has been leading up to this event and once it's over, the series will be kind of directionless...that happens to long running [books], and I've experienced it as a reader myself, so I'm very mindful of that," Kirkman said. "The Viltrumite War will end and there will be plenty of other stuff for Invincible to deal with, and that may or may not involve other Viltrumites. We'll have to see. This may be the be-all end-all of the conflict, and it could also be the beginning and the set-up for something even bigger."

"There will be lasting changes coming out of this. When we're talking about 'Invincible,' we mean it when we say that kind of stuff. I hope that people realize that when I say something is going to happen that will affect the series long term, you can take that to the bank. You can put that in your savings account."

KyleWPeterson on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Look at all those erotic tentacles.

Synthetic Orange on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd love to see Invincible get some spin-off ongoings. Kirkman's created lot of characters that could make for a fun monthly read.
    The best would have been Rex Splode :(

Hensler on
    edited February 2010
    There's a lot of speculation that we'll be seeing a Gaurdians of the Globe series launched some time this year now that Brit's leading the team and Kirkman has said that Brit's adventures will be continuing in one form or another soon.

KyleWPeterson on
    edited February 2010
    There's a lot of speculation that we'll be seeing a Gaurdians of the Globe series launched some time this year now that Brit's leading the team and Kirkman has said that Brit's adventures will be continuing in one form or another soon.

I would love that. They need some new members, but a Guardians book could be great.

Hensler on
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cmon what we need is Robot and the Teen Team.
    Starring Robot and Monster Girl.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010
    Dis wrote: »
    Cmon what we need is Robot and the Teen Team.
    Starring Robot and Monster Girl.
    But they're both members of the Guardians of the Globe...?

KyleWPeterson on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Seriously, when is the next trade coming out?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited February 2010
    INVINCIBLE, VOL. 12: STILL STANDING TP
    invincible_vol12_cov.jpg
    story ROBERT KIRKMAN
    art & cover RYAN OTTLEY & FCO PLASCENCIA
    FEBRUARY 17
    168 PAGES / FC
    $16.99

Angstrom Levy finally attacks, and the world has never been in more danger! Guest-starring the entire Image Universe... and that’s just the lead-in for Conquest! Invincible faces his most deadly threats yet in this can't miss volume of the critically acclaimed series.

At this point it's only two weeks late and since they don't really do much in the way of extras for trades (at least compared to the hardcovers) I'd say it'll be out any week.

KyleWPeterson on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

A Guardians of the Globe series with a cast pulling from Brit, Capes, Tech Jacket, Wolf-Man, and Invincible would be awesome.

But what I really want is an Immortal series, chronicling his adventures through time. But then, I really dig Immortal, and wish he didn't constantly get crapped on. Dude's thousands of years old. You'd think he'd be some kind of amazing Superman/Batman hybrid by now, able to have all kinds of neat adventures.

Munch on
    edited February 2010
    BOTH Volume 5 HCs (Walking Dead and Invincible) are currently at the printer and should be out in March... probably late March. There is a chance they could slip into April, but I'm hoping that doesn't happen.

-Robert Kirkman

KyleWPeterson on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    FINALLY, i don't even know if my Amazon pre-order is still valid.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I love that all the trades are named after sitcoms.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Have I mentioned how much I love this book's wonderfully visceral sound effects?

SPLAGGGK

Green on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Munch wrote: »

A Guardians of the Globe series with a cast pulling from Brit, Capes, Tech Jacket, Wolf-Man, and Invincible would be awesome.

But what I really want is an Immortal series, chronicling his adventures through time. But then, I really dig Immortal, and wish he didn't constantly get crapped on. Dude's thousands of years old. You'd think he'd be some kind of amazing Superman/Batman hybrid by now, able to have all kinds of neat adventures.

So hard.

I was always a bit put out that they didn't do more with him, he was Abe Lincoln and King Arthur ffs, he fought Omni-Man and actually managed to hold out for a while too, his own spin off would be so bought.

Venkman90 on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Might just be a case of Kirkman not having enough time to juggle another series (or another series that was less lucrative than Invincible).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited February 2010
    I just want to see Immortal, as Grigori Rasputin, get stabbed, shot, poisoned, bludgeoned, bound, and drowned, then pull himself out of a river and be all, "Ugh, fuck, what was that about?!"

This same idea's been sitting in the back of my head for years, as something that could be done with Wolverine. I mean, hairy, hard-assed, nigh-unkillable guy with few memories of his past? It so works.

Munch on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How would Rasputin's famed penis factor into the storyline? Would it grow a body of its own and serve as the chief antagonist?

Robos A Go Go on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The Immortal vs Rasputin's Penis just sounds too good a title to pass up.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited February 2010
    Well when you're immortal, you have a lot of time to get good at a broad variety of things. As for the severing? Well, in an Immortal comic, that's totally the first arc. He finds the thing in a museum all lookin' like beef jerky, and has to steal it so he can reattach it, as he did his severed head.

Then he's hunted down by Invincible, because he's a cool, tough, sexy renegade who doesn't play by anyone's rules.

Did I mention that, in my head, Geoff Johns is writing this? Because he is.

Munch on
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just got to issue 56 and I am pretty sure that Allen the Alien is the best character ever.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How would Rasputin's famed penis factor into the storyline? Would it grow a body of its own and serve as the chief antagonist?

Cmon the penis size is overrated.
    We have tons of woman humping boys and they sure didn't complain bout their smaller member size.

If anyone deserve an ongoing series from Invincible it should be Robot.
    Cmon show some Robot and Monster Girl love.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    Each hardcover of Invincible (including the library) is on sale for $14.99 on Amazon.com right now along with a ton of Marvel hardcovers (including omnibii).

KyleWPeterson on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm almost glad they don't seem to be having these offers in the UK, because I just bought a bunch of Invincible Ultimate collection books for a bunch of cash monies.

Still, always good to support your local comic store, I always go to the independant one rather than the Forbidden Planet, nice to keep the little guy rolling.

Solar on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My local little guy comic shop IS the Forbidden Planet :P

Wildcat on
    edited March 2010
    We have a Forbidden Planett plus the Sheffield Space Centre, a independant stocker. I know the guys in the Forbidden Planet and they are cool, but I always get stuff from them and so I thought I'd give some money to those other guys for once.

Though honestly with the comic industry anybody getting money is a good thing, it's hardly like you can compare Forbidden Planet to WHSmiths.

Solar on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Each hardcover of Invincible (including the library) is on sale for $14.99 on Amazon.com right now along with a ton of Marvel hardcovers (including omnibii).

The library is actually down to 8.24 from the "normal" 14.99.

For people who have seen both, how are they? I know the Ultimate collections are a bit oversized and nicer, but how is the complete library in relation to that? Just over a penny a page is a hell of a deal, but I'm not sure how readable something 800 pages long would be or how much you'd lose in the bindings.

werehippy on
    edited March 2010
    Veretas wrote: »
    I just got to issue 56 and I am pretty sure that Allen the Alien is the best character ever.

Wait till you read #66 and 67. Allen gets even more awesome in those issues.

Hensler on
    edited March 2010
    Allen the Alien is the best. The best.

Solar on
    edited March 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Allen the Alien is the best. The best.

Allen the Alien and Omni-Man should get a buddy cop book after the Viltrumite War.

Hensler on
    edited March 2010
    I love it when he...
    ...let's that Viltrumite woman "beat him up" and when she's dragging him away his eye's a little open with that grin on his face. Also, when they're trying to execute him and he's looking bored and slightly annoyed.

I have a man crush on Allen the Alien.

Solar on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Allen is basically Martian Manhunter or a Skrull, right? Super strong shape changer with flight, right?

DouglasDanger on
    edited March 2010
    He can't shape change. He's basically mega-strong and tough, I'm assuming fast to as it never says it but he fights against Viltrumites so he must be, and he can fly in space. He has telepathy but it seems to be limited to just talking to people mentally so far. He is also powered by pure distilled awesome, and has one eye.

Solar on
    edited March 2010
    Allen is basically Martian Manhunter or a Skrull, right? Super strong shape changer with flight, right?
    Nah, Martian Man was Martian Manhunter, and now Shapesmith is the Martian Manhunter character.

By the by, am I the only one who hates both of Shapesmith's costumes? Something about the low neckline on the current costume bugs me.

Munch on
    edited March 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Nah, Martian Man was Martian Manhunter, and now Shapesmith is the Martian Manhunter character.

By the by, am I the only one who hates both of Shapesmith's costumes? Something about the low neckline on the current costume bugs me.

I hate Shapesmith in general, but the costume is weird - it looks like a dance leotard or something.

Hensler on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Allen the Alien is actually like Sayians, right? When he gets beat up it makes him stronger?

Langly on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    Allen the Alien is actually like Sayians, right? When he gets beat up it makes him stronger?

seems like it, whatever doesn't kill him.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, it was said in the issue where the Council rebuilds him that he gets stronger with every fight and he'll eventually be stronger than the Viltrumites.

Hensler on
    edited March 2010
    I think he is now, to be honest.

Solar on
    edited March 2010
    Invincible #74 Cover
    1268589970.jpg

Mark's brother???

KyleWPeterson on