As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Top Chef MASTERS - reality cooking whores assemble

• Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hooray! Go Ricky Bayless! Although now when John Besh wins next week, I won't know who to root for.

Ludo French-Guy was the most annoying Masters contestant so far. He almost seemed like he belonged in regular drama-filled Top Chef. I can understand being competitive, but his competitiveness was petty and kind of sad when you consider this whole thing is for charity. Yeah, just keep thinking that Bayless stole your idea of doing Mexican. It's not like that's the kind of food he makes regularly.

I thought it was hilarious when he sabotaged his Quickfire dish. The judges seemed to like it before he had the server cover it in blood.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    AWinnerIsYouAWinnerIsYou Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Check this:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/20/magazine/food-sexy-beast.html?sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all
    kind of the quintessential marrow dish.

Also, Blue Ribbon's bone marrow with oxtail marmalade was taken directly from Henderson's recipe, but I can't find the recipe for the oxtail marmalade. I think I'm going to sit down and figure it out one day, it's essentially braised oxtail with carrots, maybe some onions.

AWinnerIsYou on
    "It's like a pterodactyl from a gay Jurassic Park."
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Omeks wrote: »
    Hooray! Go Ricky Bayless! Although now when John Besh wins next week, I won't know who to root for.

Ludo French-Guy was the most annoying Masters contestant so far. He almost seemed like he belonged in regular drama-filled Top Chef. I can understand being competitive, but his competitiveness was petty and kind of sad when you consider this whole thing is for charity. Yeah, just keep thinking that Bayless stole your idea of doing Mexican. It's not like that's the kind of food he makes regularly.

I thought it was hilarious when he sabotaged his Quickfire dish. The judges seemed to like it before he had the server cover it in blood.

I like Rick and John Besh both. I'll be rooting for him.
    Although in the final 6, its still currently no contest: Hubert Keller or BUST!

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone else find the new host really annoying?

SkankPlaya on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Kelly Choi?
    She isn't bad at all, why would you say that?

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Put Simply, it's because she annoys me. The way she talks sorta through her teeth, and also as if she's been the host of Top Chef since it's inception despite the fact that she's newer to the show than some of the Masters chefs who have been judges before.

SkankPlaya on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Her job is to be host.
    Man, you people bitch about the hosts so much, it's pretty sad.

If you want a bad host, try watching Ryan Seacrest some time.
    I don't find Kelly Choi or Padma bothersome at all.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    neville wrote: »
    Her job is to be host.

I think I made a pretty valid argument, even given your statement that "her job is to be host". That point is obvious, and my argument relates directly to that. Her job requires her to talk, and I don't like the way she talks.

I've seen Ryan Seacrest host things, and I've never found anything wrong with his speaking.

SkankPlaya on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    SkankPlaya wrote: »
    neville wrote: »
    Her job is to be host.

I think I made a pretty valid argument, even given your statement that "her job is to be host". That point is obvious, and my argument relates directly to that. Her job requires her to talk, and I don't like the way she talks.

I've seen Ryan Seacrest host things, and I've never found anything wrong with his speaking.

Well Kelly's on screen very little, even compared to Padma, so I don't have a problem with her.

Anyhow, back to cooking, when I was in PDX I bought some chocolate with chili in it.
    Going to make a Devil's Food Cake with it in the frosting so it has some bite. Pretty excited for it.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Years ago, I went to this place in the south of France that had all these little shops and stuff set in a medieval town. In it was this chocolatier that sold the most interesting chocolate combination. Things like peppered chocolate, and stuff like that. I think they had 26 different varieties and each one was a tile with a letter of the alphabet on it. It was eating chocolate, not cooking chocolate (unless you're rich).

SkankPlaya on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    hooray for this show tomorrow.
    I also enjoy Next Food Network Star, although so many of them annoy me (not just this season either).

One of my BIGGEST pet peeves on reality shows is when people whine about missing their families.
    Yes, its supposed to be hard. WHY do we need to see that shit? Ugh.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You know who never complained about missing her family when she was off doing promo stuff for her reality show? Kate.

I'm just hoping that when the divorce is all finalized we can stop hearing about those people

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fiz wrote: »
    You know who never complained about missing her family when she was off doing promo stuff for her reality show? Kate.

I'm just hoping that when the divorce is all finalized we can stop hearing about those people

Watching clips of that show on the Soup were hilarious.
    It was so obvious she was a controlling bitch.
    One part where she screamed at John for like 2 minutes for not using a coupon.
    Seriously?
    Wow.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah I saw that clip, that woman is an evil bitch. If I were married to her, and straight, I'd find another woman too. And maybe hit her a little bit.
    Luckily, none of those things apply and silly me, as a sub-American I can't even get married here! Crisis avoided.

SO BUMMED that this stupid fucking fashion show is on and not this. I hate how Bravo does this to us.

Oh, Next Food Network Star... I kind of hate it, but in a love-to-hate way so I can't stop watching it. I'm rooting for gay guy, soccer mom, black chick, and asian chick. Although each of them annoy me in different ways, they all annoy me the least and have made seemingly yummy food. Long hair and veggie chick gotsta go.

AWinnerIsYou on
  • Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Veggie chick is so bad, I think she only lasted this long because the last 3 people sent home were conniving douchebags.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, they were AWFUL. The dude-BLT guy or whatever from two weeks ago was a douche, but this past guy was just creepy. I mean fuck, watching other people watch him suck made me feel uncomfortable. But now it's definitely health girl's time to go.

AWinnerIsYou on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah and the dude before him tried to totally fuck over the soccer mom the week before that. At least the judges can spot dicks and weed them out fast.

Theidar on
    Facebook
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    StinkbugStinkbug Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fuck Padma.

She prolly has contractual obligations to spit out somebodies food at least 4 times a season.

Stinkbug on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Theidar wrote: »
    Veggie chick is so bad, I think she only lasted this long because the last 3 people sent home were conniving douchebags.

This.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Watching the episode, you could tell they planned to eliminate veggie girl no matter what she did. The second the judges went "we are going to have to evaluate not only the stuff we were testing you on this week but all your past performances" that girl should have started packing her bags. Why not just be honest and said "you did the best this week but we don't see you being popular on this network"

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Next Food Network Star, eh? I guess my view on the show can be bested summed up as:
    Oh, Next Food Network Star... I kind of hate it, but in a love-to-hate way so I can't stop watching it.

The only person I really like on the show this season is Jeffery, though even I can agree that he's kind of one note (SPICES!! MORE AND MORE SPICES!!!). Can't say I care too much for everyone else.

Of course, liking Jeffery has made me remember why I hate Bob Tooshman and Susie Fogleson so much. I think the thing I hate the most about this show is how they all but demand you to tie a personal story to your cooking. Sure, those can be nice little anecdotes to put into a show, but I don't watch Alton Brown to hear about his kids, I watch him because he knows how to entertain. I can't recall a time when Bobby Flay, or Emeril, or Tyler Florence, or whoever had to structure their meals around telling you a personal story.

I mean how fucked would a person be if he got on this show, had no kids, parents whose idea of cooking was microwave dinners, and few to no living relatives? I still remember last season when their constant harping on personal stories lead to an emotional breakdown of the guy who won.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This show doesn't hold a candle to the real Top Chef.

MindLib on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Missed that this had turned into NFNS chatter; my winner's Blonde Mom all the way. She's got a clearly defined point of view, actual helpful advice (that green onion thing works great!), and a built in audience.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Blonde mom is great.
    Although I like crazy gay as well.

And I'm excited for tomorrow's episode of Masters; John Besh is awesome!

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Are we allowed to talk about food we made and ate rather than food we saw on tv here?

Because I would like to talk about the former too.

Blake T on
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    how about that i just realized that not-lasting series Kitchen Confidential was based off the book and just added it to my netflix queue

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Fiz wrote: »
    Watching the episode, you could tell they planned to eliminate veggie girl no matter what she did. The second the judges went "we are going to have to evaluate not only the stuff we were testing you on this week but all your past performances" that girl should have started packing her bags. Why not just be honest and said "you did the best this week but we don't see you being popular on this network"

I agree completely. I felt bad for her, not because she didn't deserve to go, but just because they (or the editing) weren't honest with her. No one would want to watch her. Her food isn't good. Even if she won, she's still not a Food Network host. Sorry. Funny, though, that she was eliminated the week she actually overcooked something...
    (speaking of which, fucking food network... their site says "Rachael liked Katie, but the undercooking had to end." I guess it did...)
    Omeks wrote: »
    The only person I really like on the show this season is Jeffery...

I really do not like Jeffrey, he is boring, not fun, I don't want to look at him, I don't like hearing him talk, and I don't really care about his food. I hope he goes next.

This is all working out well for me, though, everyone I don't like is getting kicked off.

I'm with Neville, soccer mom and crazy gay all the way. I'm losing interest in Debbie and Jamika.
    This is kind of funny. Michael makes fun of everyone
    Adam Gertler talks about the contestands
    What the hell, Adam Gertler, first of all, why the hell do you get to do this? And why the hell do you get your own show? You suck! Man, of the three finalists from last season, the only one who was good for anything is the only one without a show. But I digress, fuck you Adam Gertler, and don't predict that Debbie wins and Michael goes home, dick.

AWinnerIsYou on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I don't mind soccer mom. If she wins, I'll have no objection. I just don't think I'd watch any show of her's.

...Well...I mean, I don't even think I'd watch a show by Jeffery, even. Let's face it, this show isn't about finding the next Food Network star or about having a new host of a show (it's not like they don't find people to host shows outside of TNFNS all the time). It's about having a reality show. Everyone except Guy Fieri usually gets doomed to cancellation (or needs to be canceled in the instance of Aaron Magcargo Jurnior, misspellings intentional).

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The only NFNS-star show I ever watched was Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, which I like some of the places they show, but FUCK I can't stand Guy Fieri.

AWinnerIsYou on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Guy Fieri has the amazing ability to be on an entire network centered around delicious food and being able to make me lose my appetitie

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I watched Guy Fieri's first episode after his NFNS win (Guy's Big Bite).

He made tater tots. Not homemade tater tots. Frozen tater tots, saturated in extra virgin olive oil. A recipe listed on the FN has him using tater tots in the most unholy manner possible, so much that I don't think I can repeat it.

Plus, most of his recipes look and sound like shitty TGIF/Chili's meals.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm pulling for crazy gay with soccer mom as my second favorite right now.

Jeffrey is too one note at this point.

Theidar on
    Facebook
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Also it tells you how dull Jeffrey is that he doesn't even have a slightly derogatory nickname.

Theidar on
    Facebook
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    EAST COAST SPOILERS! DON'T READ THIS NEVILLE UNTIL YOU HAVE SEEN THE EPISODE

Mark Peel also was the person who created the La Brea Bakery. I don't know if they have them outside our area, but I love going to the one at Downtown Disney for breakfast.

It was pretty disgusting to see Tom Cockface back on the show. I do not like the man, and having him do his sniff 'n' sneer to people who he should be bowing down to almost ruined my appetite. If you aren't going to be Tim Gunn you need to stay the fuck out of the workroom, bravo "judges"

NPH is so dreamy. I was glad the one chef didn't call him Doogie Howser to his face; he probably doesn't like that

The one guy was dead on when he pointed out Max Maven screams magician. My mind was freaked.

Nice to have Gail Simmons on the panel. She how she is able to make comments about the food besides "it was a failure". Tom could learn something from her. But he won't because she is a woman and he doesn't respect the opinions of women.

It was good to see the chefs being happy to have been a part of this. Some of them haven't worked the line for quite some time, and this not only throws them back in there but makes them think in ways that they probably weren't doing even when they were still doing the actual prep

That poll was totally fair. Which coast has the better cuisine? You base this one the results from the east coast viewing, so the votes are skewed in that direction.

Anita scored the highest in both rounds. The others were right when they said she was the one to look out for. She may have had an advantage going in since she still worked the line

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    And the soft spoken lady chef wins again. I hated that quick-fire, I'm sorry. I don't want to see a gimmick with the big-gun chefs, I want to see their best work dammit.

Shame about Besh, he just couldn't get it together.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Feel super bad for Anita Lo; there was a fire in her restaurant recently and it had to close down. This show creates some great publicity, but that means nothing when you have no restaurant and you are competing for no money yourself.

But it does remind me that the restaurant Hung's family owned had some sort of accident before he came on the show, and they were in desperate need of money to be able to open it again and had no way to get it. I think he gave most of his prize money to them so they could reopen the family business, unlike some people who used it for fauxhawk gel

Hosea

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Huh, it never occurred to me that this had two airings for the different coasts and not just an earlier (same time) west coast air time.

Along the lines of the Adam Gertler what the fuck, why the hell is fucking Spike hosting the viewing chat room? Gross.

Hmm, nothing in this episode really stood out to me. I agree, I know they want to bring back old quickfires, but this was too gimmicky. Just have them make eggs for cripe's sake.
    Anita's dish looked interesting, but I'm a little confused on what it actually was. It was steak tartare in a daikon "scallop"? And the muscles or oysters or whatever below were just for show? And the "caviar" on top was just kombu? What was the broth for?
    I love sushi and usually order my beef on the rare side, but something about steak tartare just grosses me out. Also that it often has raw egg in it.

PS - http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/season-6/about
    http://www.bravotv.com/whos-who-meet-the-chefs

edit - ...wasn't Hosea bald?

AWinnerIsYou on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah I'm confused. Blais had a fauxhawk but he didn't win, do you mean him?

Because if Hosea has a fauxhawk now than my loathing has reached a new level and I'd have sworn that wasn't possible.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    That was a joke. Because the person who won but is awful was Ilan, who is still trying to sell the kitchen stuff he won on his season because he is worthless.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Am I wrong or have all the top chefs who won the quickfire won the episode?

Anita, Hubert, quiet lady...

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png