Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

I'm ready to get a laptop! There's just one problem...

MarthMarth Contemplative KermitRegistered User regular
So I'm getting a laptop for uni and it's down to two choices. I only really need internet, office and photoshop and I can get at least 3 GB of RAM for cheap. I could customize a 15 inch Dell this week with 4 GB for $550, or I could buy [URL="http://http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146534"]this Lenovo[/URL] with 3 GB for $450. The two are basically the same, save for the RAM.

I want to have a laptop that I know will perform at least good for the next 3 years. Would springing for the Dell be worth it in the long run, or is the difference between 3 and 4 GB of RAM not enough to justify the extra money?

Marth on
Steam Xbox Live LoL: SadSchaub

• exoplasmexoplasm Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    1 GB of RAM won't make a difference for your use.

Choose based on resolution, screen type/size, hard drive space, processor speed, and graphics chip (you won't be able to play any games on any Intel graphics chips).

Lenovo's Thinkpad line is known for build quality. Dell generally is not. The non-Thinkpads I don't know about.

And RAM is cheap, you can get a laptop with 1GB RAM and spend $50 on 4GB RAM.

1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream