As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ghostbusters is 25! Game's out!

DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
edited July 2009 in Social Entropy++
GHOSTBUSTERS!

So now's as good a time as any to talk about it. 25 years ago today, or yesterday (JUNE 8TH WHATEVER) Ghostbusters was released. It then made roughly $500 million in the US alone, received a pretty okay sequel, sent a theme song to number one on the charts (and pissed Huey Lewis off in the process), launched one of the best Saturday morning cartoons of all time, and most importantly, led to the creation of
5.gif

Also, I don't know if you've heard, but there's a game coming out.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO WATCH

GHOSTBUSTERS, BY RAY PARKER JR WITH A BUNCH OF DUDES SHOWING UP FOR NO REASON

TOO HOT TO HANDLE TOO COLD TO HOLD

RUN DMC DOGGS

THE FUTURE!

On June 16th, Ghostbusters: The Video Game comes out for pretty much every console. They include all the original cast, including all four Ghostbusters, Annie Potts and the guy who played Walter Peck and was also a dick reporter in Die Hard, but doesn't include Rick Moranis (because he's retired) or Sigourney Weaver (I don't know why!). Also, Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd helped work on the script, and Aykroyd has said it's basically Ghostbusters 3. The game's set in 1991, two years after Ghostbusters 2.

The 360 and PS3 and I guess the PC versions look like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKa5p8KMFwg

The Wii and PS2 (and I guess maybe the PSP?) versions look like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utOpYeceBM8

And the DS version looks like...you know what, let's not talk about the DS version.

The 360/PC/PS3 versions feature online multiplayer, and such.

ALSO!

Basically, in the last 20 years, Dan Aykroyd's been trying to get Ghostbusters 3 made. And now that the game is out, apparently everyone in the cast that didn't want anything to do with a sequel is all excited about the franchise again, and a third movie is more likely than it has ever been. Two writers from the Office have been tapped to write a script that would basically have the old cast pass the torch to a new group of Ghostbusters. So there's that.

SO ANYWAYS

There's a bunch of stuff going on with Ghostbusters all of a sudden, it's fucking crazy. Oh, and they're releasing the movies on blu-ray, so I guess keep an eye out for that? Mainly I'm just hoping they bring back Ecto Cooler.

DJ Eebs on

• Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So how many people are going to post about how old they feel?

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When I was four I was the biggest Ghostbusters fan. Had an official jumpsuit just like from the movie and I wore it all the time. Yes, in public!

Right now, I own Ghosbusters... 2x on DVD - both the original release and the re-release thinpak with Ghosbusters 2; 2.5x on VHS, clamshell and slipcase editions, and also a VHS with it recorded off television; on Laserdisc. I am looking for a Betamax copy (I know they're out there!) as well as a USB flash drive copy (only released in the UK). PM me if you can get me either. I will buy it on Blu-Ray the day it comes out even though I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet.

I also have the complete boxset of The Real Ghostbusters.

And, uh, my band in Rock Band 2 is called The Fake Ghostbusters.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Back when KMart sold used videogames, they used to have a copy of Ghostbusters for the NES for like $5. I never had $5, but I always hid the game around the store so nobody would buy it before I managed to get $5.

I never did buy it.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    more importantly, it's my birthday in 65 minutes

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That game is still there, Geebs

waiting for you

also as soon as I saw the title of this thread I knew you had made it

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    that game was sold at least fifteen years ago

I know because I went to check and it wasn't on the rack or where I hid it

then the next time they didn't have used videogames anymore :(

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Who shall I call gentlemen?

Blake T on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    that game was sold at least fifteen years ago

I know because I went to check and it wasn't on the rack or where I hid it

then the next time they didn't have used videogames anymore :(

Well now it is a ghost game, okay

and it is your job to bust it

Moriveth on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I finally pre-ordered and paid off the game today.

Apparently I was supposed to get a free t-shirt for doing so and didn't, but it's cool because I already have two (I bought another when I discovered the second one apparently glows in the dark).

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I actually can't wait for the Ghostbusters game.

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    When I first joined the forums I was really big into this Ghostbusters comic that was being published at the time. Manifest kept getting mad at me because he hated licensed comics, probably because they didn't feature poorly realized luchador detectives or something, but anyways.

I had one issue. It was a four issue miniseries, and the next three were horrendously delayed. There was an ongoing that was supposedly going to happen; it didn't. There was a special hardcover edition that was supposed to happen, they took preorders and everything. Paid pre-orders. It never shipped. Ever. The company doesn't even exist anymore, and the comics license went to a legitimate company.

I found all this out like three years after I bought the first issue. I still have it! I'm afraid to read it. I don't know if I'm more afraid that it'll be terrible and I would have plugged a shitty comic, or that it'll be good and more didn't come out because of some shady ass.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    So how many people are going to post about how old they feel?

Also man I am fucking old.

Not really. Ghostbusters was out two years before I was born.

But when I think about shit like Terminator 2 being 18 years old, yeah, I feel damn old.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You know I never got my paid pre-order refunded, Geebs.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    At first when I saw the title Ghostbusters 2 -- Bobby Brown etc. I was expecting the Frank Zappa song of the same name

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    You know I never got my paid pre-order refunded, Geebs.

I didn't have money to pre-order, so I lucked out!

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ghostbusters is pretty much my favourite movie ever.
    I'm staying with my parents for a couple of days right now, and while I was packing I considered throwing in my DVDs of the movie - until I realised that I have a spare copy at home here.

I like how they've made the Wii version all cartoony, although I would have loved to see them go all the way and make it look like the animated series. Although I guess this style works with the voices of the original movie cast better.

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sony's page for Ghostbusters has a coupon you can print off to get $5 the Blu-Ray. Coupon's only good through July 7th.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Love the Hi-C Ecto-cooler include in the OP. Memories.

Also I feel old now.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    god yes Ghostbusters

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There's been a lot of talk lately about the planned Ghostbusters 3, as the original movie celebrates its 25th Anniversary and having been twenty years since the last installment. Ramis has been developing the three-quel along with his Year One writers Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg, best known as part of the writing staff on "The Office," so we asked him for a brief update.

"I wrote the story for the new movie with them, and Dan and I've been consulting. We're just waiting to see a first draft and where we are," Ramis told us, although he's very optimistic it will happen with Bill Murray and Ernie Hudson returning as well. "Everyone says they'll do it, they've all said they'll do it. No one has signed anything yet--we haven't signed anything either--but there's the spirit of willingness in the air."

Last week, Ivan Reitman was asked by MTV about his involvement in the project, but Ramis isn't so sure Reitman would want to direct it, even though it's obviously too early to tell. "I don't think he wants to; I'm not sure I want to (direct). It's just a lot of open questions. Until we see a script, I don't think anyone really knows how they feel about it. Everyone's open to doing it, that's the main thing, that's what got it moving forward."

He did confirm that there will be a younger cast donning the backpacks and outfits with the original cast acting more as mentors to them. "Oh, yeah. There will be new Ghostbusters. It's not about us running around. We'll be introducing new people."

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So did any of you guys end up getting The Real Ghosbusters set because of me?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So did any of you guys end up getting The Real Ghosbusters set because of me?

I seriously considered it before I remembered I didn't have any money.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I never have money either Geebs. Not after I buy these things.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, Ghostbusters is older then me? did not know that. Somehwere on my computer i have a remake of the commidore ghostbusters game in shiny graphics and stuff.

Also fun story, in the 12th grade i got suspended the day before exams started for showing up to school dressed as a ghostbuster. damnable catholic schools.

Melding on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The game is gonna be amazing holy shit.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, I so want a T-Shirt that says "Back off man; I'm a SCIENTIST!" Bonus points for an ectometer.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    When I first joined the forums I was really big into this Ghostbusters comic that was being published at the time. Manifest kept getting mad at me because he hated licensed comics, probably because they didn't feature poorly realized luchador detectives or something, but anyways.

I had one issue. It was a four issue miniseries, and the next three were horrendously delayed. There was an ongoing that was supposedly going to happen; it didn't. There was a special hardcover edition that was supposed to happen, they took preorders and everything. Paid pre-orders. It never shipped. Ever. The company doesn't even exist anymore, and the comics license went to a legitimate company.

I found all this out like three years after I bought the first issue. I still have it! I'm afraid to read it. I don't know if I'm more afraid that it'll be terrible and I would have plugged a shitty comic, or that it'll be good and more didn't come out because of some shady ass.

Christ, that fucking comic is the reason I wasn't allowed to show my face my local comic shop for the last couple of years before it went out of business. I picked up the first issue and got the Comic Store Guy to put my name down for the rest of the series. Six months later I got sick of tagging along on my flatmate's trips to the comic shop and being told there was still no sign of the next issue and pretty much gave up on it.

About a year later I hear through another friend that the Comic Store Guy has been bitching about me to my friends for being a bum and not picking up comics I had on order, and I was banned from his shop.
    Prick always looked down his nose at me for buying licensed comics anyway.

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Melding wrote: »
    Man, Ghostbusters is older then me? did not know that. Somehwere on my computer i have a remake of the commidore ghostbusters game in shiny graphics and stuff.

Also fun story, in the 12th grade i got suspended the day before exams started for showing up to school dressed as a ghostbuster. damnable catholic schools.

Oh man, the Commodore 64 Ghostbusters game was freaking impossible. Granted I was young when I played so maybe I just sucked horribly. But I remember driving a car, stopping to catch ghosts where symbols appeared. Then doing it again, only to have waaay too many symbols on the screen, then the marshmallow dude would appear and I would lose. That game always frustrated me. Again, I was also probably like 9 or 10 years old.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    retrobg038.jpg

this seems a little less involved than I remember

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If I remember correctly, that's how the game end? You go until Staypuff destroys the city and you can't pay for it? I know in the NES one (which i have, but my NES doesn't really work anymore) you have to fight Zuel, and that was basically impossible.

Melding on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »

Oh man, the Commodore 64 Ghostbusters game was freaking impossible. Granted I was young when I played so maybe I just sucked horribly. But I remember driving a car, stopping to catch ghosts where symbols appeared. Then doing it again, only to have waaay too many symbols on the screen, then the marshmallow dude would appear and I would lose. That game always frustrated me. Again, I was also probably like 9 or 10 years old.

I very vaguely remember this game as well.

All I remember is that I usually ended up playing frogger.

Blake T on
  • Options
    KG3000KG3000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well between this and the new Batman game I going to have to buy a PS3.

KG3000 on
    What?
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Imaginations always make stuff better.

Like this:
    ewokvillage-catalog.jpg

and this:
    GIJoeBase3.jpg

Both of those i remember being more involved

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wikipedia seems to imply that you CAN beat the commodore version and it gives you a code to basicly play New Game+ . I should do that one day. If i can get my Commodore working.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    retrobg038.jpg

I remember there being some kind of fireman's pole/elevator deal going in there somewhere.

From my vague memories of the tiny picture on the back of my Ghostbusters toys.

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I get Harold Ramis, Ivan Reitman, and John Landis all mixed up for some reason. Mother fuckers should be less prolific.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If you look there is a space for a pole. Thats why the third floor has that curve and the bottom floor has a hole where a pole could fit.

Also I think i remember that grate on the third floor being made to shove slimer goo through.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    harold ramis is the one that's still working

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Dude Ivan Reitman is still making shit too.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Dude Ivan Reitman is still making shit too.

psssh producin' ain't workin'

DJ Eebs on