As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Futurama - Bender's back, baby!

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Suddenly I'm very glad I decided after "The Devil's Hands" to accept that Futurama was over. No getting my hope up. No disappointment and disbelief at the stupidity of FOX. The series ended before its time, but it ended on an absolute high point. I can live with that.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    These news are patently ridiculous. I refuse to believe this will go through, as it'll likely kill the show before it even restarts.

But, you know, Fox. Why the bloody hell are people still optioning shows to them?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Punchy McFistPunchy McFist Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I bet that FOX casts the guy from Twilight as Fry.

And Carlos Mencia as Zoidberg.

Punchy McFist on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I bet that FOX casts the guy from Twilight as Fry.

And Carlos Mencia as Zoidberg.

GET OUT!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    They should bring back Poochy (is that how you spell it?) and have him voiced by Andy Dick.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    While this does indeed suck, it's possible that they will sound the same. I'm sure there are people out there who can do the same inflections and whatnot.

Or just let Phil LaMarr do it all. That dude is everywhere.

Magus` on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    These news are patently ridiculous. I refuse to believe this will go through, as it'll likely kill the show before it even restarts.

But, you know, Fox. Why the bloody hell are people still optioning shows to them?

In this case you don't get a choice but to have Fox make it. It will be a ploy because the voices make it just like they do in the Simpsons. Its not a show like Hey Arnold or whatever that you can get away with a sound alike. Itd be like trying to get someone else to do Cartmans voice. And in terms of Billy West, youre having to pay like 4-5 people to fill the roles he alone was doing.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    South Park did an admirable job reproducing Chef's dialog after Isaac Hayes quit the show. Chef died like a hero in that same episode.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    South Park did an admirable job reproducing Chef's dialog after Isaac Hayes quit the show. Chef died like a hero in that same episode.

Well, they did it by taking stuff he had recorded for previous episodes. That's not exactly a long term solution.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »

Well, they did it by taking stuff he had recorded for previous episodes. That's not exactly a long term solution.

They even hung a lantern on how obvious it was by having Chef respond to long questions with simply "yep!"

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There's no way Fox is actually going to go through with this.

I mean, it would make no sense to destroy the show they're paying money to bring back.

Right?

....right?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I swear this is payback for the whole Torgo's Executive Powder schtick.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I still need to pick up the rest of the direct-to-dvd films. I bought the first one literally on release day, but I've never gotten the rest.

Recently when I see one on a shelf somewhere there's a season of The Simpsons nearby for the same price or less, and it's hard not to pass up 20+ episodes vs 2 hours of a movie.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

They even hung a lantern on how obvious it was by having Chef respond to long questions with simply "yep!"

C'mon... CHILDREN!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, they go through with it and I treat it like Futurama had stayed cancelled.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I assume its a bargaining ploy to make them accept a lower pay, they did the same with the Simpsons.
    Which failed, and they ended up paying even more.

Exactly.

Not to mention I doubt Matt Groeing and David Cohen are going to let Fox recast their show and still willingly allow their staff to write for it.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    Wow.

This isn't even like losing one member. It's losing everyone and I dunno how I can watch a recast Futurama. I feel bad for the new cast already: that's a lot of hate on people just trying to make a living.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Why do I suspect it would cost more to replace the voice actors than to keep them? (pay casting directors, hold auditions, pay salaries for MORE actors than you are replacing in the case of Billy West...)

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    There is absolutely no way they'll not deliver good news [everyone!] after such an intentionally ham-fisted build up as the SDCC announcement. In fact, I'm confident there would be rioting on par with the climax to Carrie if the contrary happened.

So is it a publicity stunt? No, I don't think so either. Matt Groening and David Cohen wouldn't do that to fans. It's not really their style. It looks more like a bargaining play, just like has been said: A tactic to reduce the cast's salaries. It would seem to me that there's a pay dispute going on behind the scenes, and this seems like a retaliatory move by Fox in anticipation of the position Groening is hoping to force them into with however the SDCC affair goes down. At this point each player has made a public move to goad the other in their favor. It's like we're watching a game of chess being played out between Groening and Fox, only one of our eyes is covered up and half the pieces on the board are checkers.

I wouldn't freak too much. Not yet, at least. Yes I agree it's kind of sketchy on Fox's behalf, but it's business and they're just playing the hand dealt (while simultaneously threatening to replace the whole deck).

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There are no known words in the English language that are capable of voicing my displeasure over this news.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If they are going to rape the budget and recast then they might as well let Futurama stay dead or direct-to-dvd affair.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My friend already auditioned.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118006123.html?categoryid=14&cs=1
    When "Futurama" returns to TV next year, it might be without the show's original voice cast.

Talks have broken down between 20th Century Fox TV and stars Billy West, Katey Sagal, John DiMaggio, Maurice LaMarche and Tress MacNeille over how much they should be paid to take part in the show.

The studio announced last month that it would produce 26 new episodes of "Futurama," and that Comedy Central was on board to begin airing the new episodes in mid-2010. As part of the announcement, the show's producers said stars including West, Sagal and DiMaggio had all signed on to return.

Turns out that wasn't true.

The stars had all expressed interest in returning. But with the budget for "Futurama" dramatically slashed, the salary offers came in well below what the thesps were asking.

As a result, 20th has put out a casting call to find replacement voice actors for the show.

It's not the first time 20th has gone that route during a tough negotiation on one of its toons. The studio previously made a similar move on "The Simpsons" when it couldn't come to a deal with its stars. Casting feelers were sent out for replacements, but a deal was eventually made with the original cast.

The situation is unusual this time around in that 20th and Comedy Central have been kicking around ways to make "Futurama," originally produced for a broadcast network (Fox), make financial sense for a cable run. Yet there's also still a possibility -- and a window built in -- for "Futurama" to run on a broadcast network first.

It's believed that the "Futurama" cast members were asking for around $75,000 per episode; it was not clear what 20th was offering. Calls to the voice stars' reps were not immediately returned.

Created by Matt Groening and David X. Cohen, "Futurama" originally aired on Fox from 1999 to 2003. The success of the show's repeats on DVD and cable, as well as a series of first-run DVD releases, led to the decision to revive "Futurama."

Other costs slashed in the process led to a smaller writing staff and a shorter delivery schedule.

"We love the 'Futurama' voice performers and absolutely wanted to use them, but unfortunately, we could not meet their salary demands," 20th Century Fox TV said in a statement. "While replacing these talented actors will be difficult, the show must go on. We are confident that we will find terrific new performers to give voice to Matt and David's brilliantly subversive characters."

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Why do I suspect it would cost more to replace the voice actors than to keep them? (pay casting directors, hold auditions, pay salaries for MORE actors than you are replacing in the case of Billy West...)

They could always replace Billy West with Seth MacFarlane.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

There is not a low enough level of hell to send you to for that suggestion.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

It was a joke. I wanted to go a bit longer before clarifying that, but I'm too afraid that I'll get banned for such heresy.

Here's some Japanese Futurama fan art to lighten the mood:

My_pals____by_nemurism.jpg

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For some reason this just seems to sum up my feelings on this.

uuabg24ZC.gif

No matter how well intentioned (and it's Fox, so it's not well intentioned at all), it's just going to be a grotesque mess . . . and possibly make me cry.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fox finds yet another way to piss me off.

:evil:

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Walter Cronkite just couldn't handle this bullshit anymore.
    He was a huge fan.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The bad SDCC publicity would...I dunno, but it'd do something to whoever is handling Futurama now. Unless it's all a scam.

They already have a few guys on their cast who do like, 7 voices each. How much cheaper can hiring new people be?

I think Billy West even admitted that he made Fry's voice his own so that it'd be impossible to copy it or replace him. Let's hope it works.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The bad SDCC publicity would...I dunno, but it'd do something to whoever is handling Futurama now. Unless it's all a scam.

They already have a few guys on their cast who do like, 7 voices each. How much cheaper can hiring new people be?

I think Billy West even admitted that he made Fry's voice his own so that it'd be impossible to copy it or replace him. Let's hope it works.

Variety is reporting they were asking 75k an episode. There are other really talented voice actors and even impressionists out there. I'm sure they could find someone who could match the voice, but there is also the having to be a good actor side of it.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Really, the only replacement I can think of is Leela with Revy, or Nice Hollystone/Riza Hawkey/Monkey D. Luffy.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I thought every cast member was perfect, even Katey "One Voice" Sagal. She will never not be Leela, even though she was Peggy.

And someone here said they hate the character of Fry. How can that possibly be?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    It's getting a tad grating that he happens to be the chosen one for everything. They did that too much in the movies.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    It's getting a tad grating that he happens to be the chosen one for everything. They did that too much in the movies.

I only saw the first two, but as someone quoted before, the writers needed to put the universe on the line in each movie.

Never judge anything about Futurama on those movies.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    He was a huge fan.
    Cronkite didn't die of natural causes. He jumped when he heard about this . . .
    . . . and did a flip

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Without the original voice actors they shouldn't bring this back. It isn't the same at all. They're banking on the success of the show without some of the key components of the show, just the packaging.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    He was a huge fan.
    Cronkite didn't die of natural causes. He jumped when he heard about this . . .
    . . . and did a flip

You people are horrible human beings. Not Fox horrible, but horrible nonetheless.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man this is some amazing bullshit. I hope whoever thought this up gets ground into Torgo's Executive Powder: New and Improved Ingredients!

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Actually, even without the voice actors I'll at least try this show. And if it sucks I won't watch any more of it.

This speaks so poorly of Fox, though. They have gotten away with a lot of bullshit, canceling or seemingly sabotaging some good shows, but bringing back a beloved show and then gutting it is something new.

Edit: whoops, forgot about Family Guy.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

It was a joke. I wanted to go a bit longer before clarifying that, but I'm too afraid that I'll get banned for such heresy.

Here's some Japanese Futurama fan art to lighten the mood:

Here is some Western art to darken the mood:
    realisticfuturama.th.jpg

Couscous on