As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Futurama - Bender's back, baby!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The bad SDCC publicity would...I dunno, but it'd do something to whoever is handling Futurama now. Unless it's all a scam.

They already have a few guys on their cast who do like, 7 voices each. How much cheaper can hiring new people be?

I think Billy West even admitted that he made Fry's voice his own so that it'd be impossible to copy it or replace him. Let's hope it works.

Variety is reporting they were asking 75k an episode. There are other really talented voice actors and even impressionists out there. I'm sure they could find someone who could match the voice, but there is also the having to be a good actor side of it.

For a show that gets cancelled constantly and causes them a huge inconvenience for finding other jobs I think that's more than fair.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wouldn't say this is comparable to Family Guy at all. Family Guy, they just gave Seth McFarlane free reign and so he turned it into a soapbox for his views in the guise of humor.

I don't get the Cronkite thing though. And apparently, it's different people at FOX right now. The old ones were fired/turned into Torgo powder, remember?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Like everybody says for all the work Billy West and Maurice LaMarche do on the show I can't imagine it would actually be cheaper to replace them. I could see Katey Sagal going, but the other actors are too important. Especially with Billy West playing half the cast.

Magell on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If the new hiring is an honest move (which I still doubt), I honestly think a series reboot would be more likely to succeed than trying to recast the same characters. They could pretend on the show that nothing's happened, but it'll come across as awkward and alienating. They could try being self-referential about it, but other than the beginning of the first movie that's never really been a part of the Futurama style of humor. Creating a new Planet Express delivery team brings up obvious parallels to Star Trek: TNG, and making references to other sci-fi shows has always been a large part of the comedy of Futurama. It would also make it easier for fans to distance it from the original series in case it sucks.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    If the new hiring is an honest move (which I still doubt), I honestly think a series reboot would be more likely to succeed than trying to recast the same characters. They could pretend on the show that nothing's happened, but it'll come across as awkward and alienating. They could try being self-referential about it, but other than the beginning of the first movie that's never really been a part of the Futurama style of humor. Creating a new Planet Express delivery team brings up obvious parallels to Star Trek: TNG, and making references to other sci-fi shows has always been a large part of the comedy of Futurama. It would also make it easier for fans to distance it from the original series in case it sucks.

Arguably they could skip ahead 60 years have a ( for the future) middle Aged Cubert and Dwight run the company and have the old crew simply never return from the wormhole. ( ignoring that Cubert would have to sound like Billy West of course)

Of course ditching the main character for an entire season did wonders for that seventies show so . . .

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    They are never going to recast the show, why is everyone getting so nerdrage about it? Fox's public comment was all but missing "Your move, Groening" at the end of it.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    They are never going to recast the show, why is everyone getting so nerdrage about it? Fox's public comment was all but missing "Your move, Groening" at the end of it.

Even if they aren't recasting it, they're trying to short change hard working individuals.

edit: although, 75,000 per episode is a fine lot of cash that I would be more than happy with.

(sign me up Fox, I'll be cubert for 1/2 that price)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, there's no denying it's a dick move to not pony up and pay the talent what they are worth, but all of this "rawr rawr Fox raped this and that fuck you!" backlash is just as irritating to listen to.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, there's no denying it's a dick move to not pony up and pay the talent what they are worth, but all of this "rawr rawr Fox raped this and that fuck you!" backlash is just as irritating to listen to.

I don't have the books in-hand, and god knows FOX has a long history of dickery, but if you're trying to make a profit on a cable net, paying $10 million dollars to five people to sit around in their PJs and talk into a mic once or twice a week is a pretty tall order.

FOX isn't going to recast; they know that's suicide. They've just put the question to Cohen & Co. by virtually saying, "Lower your asking price, or go without."

Atomika on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So is Phil Lamarr the only cast member still on-board?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    For some reason this just seems to sum up my feelings on this.

uuabg24ZC.gif

No matter how well intentioned (and it's Fox, so it's not well intentioned at all), it's just going to be a grotesque mess . . . and possibly make me cry.

Yes.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I don't have the books in-hand, and god knows FOX has a long history of dickery, but if you're trying to make a profit on a cable net, paying $10 million dollars to five people to sit around in their PJs and talk into a mic once or twice a week is a pretty tall order.

FOX isn't going to recast; they know that's suicide. They've just put the question to Cohen & Co. by virtually saying, "Lower your asking price, or go without."

Bear in mind they pay that much for American Idol in a week.

Fox stands to make a large profit on this they just want to keep way more than usual.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    All I can say is I'm bumed if they do end up recasting. I'll probably give the show a chance, but if it isn't amazing from the (re?)beginning I'll quickly dump it.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    All I can say is I'm bumed if they do end up recasting. I'll probably give the show a chance, but if it isn't amazing from the (re?)beginning I'll quickly dump it.

I'll check it out, and probably keep up with it unless it is terrible. But if it isn't up to par I won't buy the DVDs and that is the big problem for Fox since that's where the profit is.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Shit's getting serious.
    Update: 7.23.2009 -- From Phil LaMarr (via Facebook): "[20th Century Fox] just dis-invited the cast members who were supposed to appear [at the Futurama Comic-Con panel] so it may not be entertaining but it’ll certainly be interesting."

Furthermore, LaMarr has refuted the previously-reported claim by Variety that the cast was asking for $75,000 per episode: "Apparently Fox has decided to just make up numbers. The $75,000 figure they cite is not even close to what the cast is asking for. If it was, Katey Sagal would be there now during character designs!"

http://news.toonzone.net/articles/30489/updated-futurama-voice-cast-may-not-return-for-new-episodes-in-2010

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Shit's getting serious.
    Update: 7.23.2009 -- From Phil LaMarr (via Facebook): "[20th Century Fox] just dis-invited the cast members who were supposed to appear [at the Futurama Comic-Con panel] so it may not be entertaining but it’ll certainly be interesting."

Furthermore, LaMarr has refuted the previously-reported claim by Variety that the cast was asking for $75,000 per episode: "Apparently Fox has decided to just make up numbers. The $75,000 figure they cite is not even close to what the cast is asking for. If it was, Katey Sagal would be there now during character designs!"

http://news.toonzone.net/articles/30489/updated-futurama-voice-cast-may-not-return-for-new-episodes-in-2010

I dont understand that part.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm guessing that was a joke emphasizing that $75,000 per episode would make the cast work extra-hard or something.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Fox are either playing mega hard ball or have reached full retard, youre not going to get away with replacing the entire cast. One person? Maybe, 2? Pushing it, but even the core trio? No chance.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Shit's getting serious.

Ugh, if they recast this then I'm not going to make an effort to watch this, or buy the dvds, like i've done with all the previous series and movies. Maybe in a couple of years if enough friends assure me it is awesome all the same I might reconsider

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's a negotiating tactic, Fox knows how much money the DVD's raked in. Fox also knows the fans don't like the idea of recasting and would likely not touch it with a twenty light year bargepole.

The original cast will be in it.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    It's a negotiating tactic, Fox knows how much money the DVD's raked in. Fox also knows the fans don't like the idea of recasting and would likely not touch it with a twenty light year bargepole.

On the other hand, Fox.

Couscous on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

On the other hand, Fox.

I concede the point sir.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Yes we all assume this but actually uninviting the cast from an event? That is one way to get them to not come back regardless of what you offer.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I honestly don't understand the point in bringing the show back if they're going to just ruin it right off the bat. It just plain isn't Futurama without the proper VAs, no matter how good the replacements turn out to be (though I'm dubious if they're going to try and do it on the cheap). Why bring it back in the first place?

Also, could someone explain to me how Fox have this sort of control over casting when it's Comedy Central that commissioned the episodes? I don't really understand how TV works in the US.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm surprised they didn't just flat out cancel the event; it's gonna be a bit of a shitstorm if it's just going to be Matt Groening and David X. Cohen Vs. a whole load of angry fans.

Though that could be pretty entertaining.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand the point in bringing the show back if they're going to just ruin it right off the bat. It just plain isn't Futurama without the proper VAs, no matter how good the replacements turn out to be (though I'm dubious if they're going to try and do it on the cheap). Why bring it back in the first place?

Also, could someone explain to me how Fox have this sort of control over casting when it's Comedy Central that commissioned the episodes? I don't really understand how TV works in the US.

Fox technically owns the show regardless. Comedy Central just gets broadcasting rights.

Then again, that is a ray of hope... Comedy Central has a big vested interest in the new Futurama episodes, so surely an exec or two from Viacom could go up to Fox and say "stop trying to torpedo the deal, you schmucks."

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

On the other hand, Fox.

I concede the point sir.

Never underestimate the power of Fox to kill and end something before its time.

This is called Foxmate. It's like checkmate but even more final.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I will laugh so hard if at the panel they go "psyche! everything's normal!" and bring the original cast out as a series of 'surprise' guests.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I got to thinking about this last night, and I decided that as long as the voices weren't too far off, I'd probably be okay with new actors. I wouldn't like it, and I would always prefer the old cast, but it's not the cast that makes the show what it is. Animation is a writer/producer medium, and those guys are staying put (-ish).

Honestly, I think they'll settle on a deal before production starts, and possibly one or two of the cast will choose to not come back (my money's on West, who has left a show over money a couple times before).

Atomika on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I will absolutely give it a shot because the writers are fucking brilliant.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Why is everyone blaming Fox? It's a different Fox, people.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009

It's still Fox, and they're still acting like douchebags. Different execs, same Fox.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

It's still Fox, and they're still acting like douchebags. Different execs, same Fox.

Especially now that LaMarr is saying that the figures FOX posted in that Variety article are completely made up.

Atomika on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Variety listed a source?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, regardless if the numbers were fake or not, Fox is still considering not rehiring the original VAs, right? That's still fucked up, and it's still Fox.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Variety listed a source?

Well, their only quoted remarks came from FOX execs, and they listed the asked-for salaries at $75k, so I'm guessing that data came from the only quoted source.

It may be a leap on my part, but considering how the cast is saying "bullshit," I'm inclined to further my assumption.

Atomika on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    $75k per episode seems like an unearthly sum... but what do I know. I make a fraction of that per year busting my ass full time. Kinda makes me not care about the whole damn thing.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I meant that there's a difference between Fox the network and 20th Century Fox the distributor.

I think a different one is at fault here.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    $75k per episode seems like an unearthly sum... but what do I know. I make a fraction of that per year busting my ass full time. Kinda makes me not care about the whole damn thing.

Phil LaMarr said that number isn't anywhere close to what the actors were actually asking, that the actual number was much more reasonable.

edit: seems like this has been stated a number of times this page alone...

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fuck. The simpsons VA's get almost 300,000 per episode, or something like that. 75,000 is almost nothing in comparison.

Gorilla Salad on