As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I think i'm being scouted.

NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So Okay, as the title implies: I believe local thieves are scouting my place to see when i'm home, and if there is anything worth stealing.

It all started about a week and a half ago when I came home from a party at about 3am. I stupidly left my keys in the door over night, and they were taken.

The very next afternoon, a couple guys came knocking. They were wondering if some person was home, and I told them they had the wrong apartment. Come 9 pm, a young woman (her early 20s) comes knockin with a kid in hand, wondering if a different person was at this apartment, and told her she had the wrong place.

I had the locks changed the following Monday (Monday before last), and that was pretty much it for the next couple days.

The following Wednesday I get another knock at my door at about 9am, wondering if "person" is home, and again "no, wrong place".

From that point, there wasn't anything for about a week, till Sunday morning (last Sunday).

Some woman comes knocking on my door, and I decide not to answer it. She knocks and knocks and knocks, and I ignore it. She knocks for about 3 minutes, and goes away. Then she comes back and knocks for another 3 or so minutes and I still don't answer.

So this whole time I'm paranoid, but trying not to over react. I know one of my neighbors, and he tells me his wife keeps an eye out, but I doubt she vigilante 24/7. I tell him I think I'm being scouted and he admits to me that the neighborhood has seen some thefts, but they were mostly around the block, not very close to us.

Well, anyway, I mostly put off the insecurities I was feeling as paranoia. I've been in and out of the house long enough on a few occasions where if they had wanted to break in, they'd probably have done it already, or so I thought.

I came home about 2 hours ago to find the gate to my little side yard open. I was curious about it, because I hadn't gone in my side yard that day, and the wind isn't strong enough to blow it open (it's gotta be unlatched) and there wasn't any wind anyway. I check it out, and sure enough there's foot prints (my side yard is all sand, except for the really tiny concrete patio). The footprints led up to my bedroom window, where I realized that I stupidly left my shades open.

So, I feel pretty safe in saying my paranoia is confirmed (at least somewhat) and that I believe that I'm being scouted for break-in potential.

I went out immediately after my discovery and bought a padlock for the side yard door (something I should have done originally, admittedly), and am now looking for additional advice to deter break-ins.

Help! Advice?

Newtron on

• Options
    RevolutionaryRevolutionary Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Contact the police to ask what they recommend?

Revolutionary on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you see any unknown cars on the street, and they give you that vibe of being a scout, take down the license plate and make/model of the vehicle. You should realize which vehicles are the neighbors and which one is repeatedly showing up and being scattershot in the area. If you're being scouted chances are they're looking to do the same to other apartments.

Also, if you haven't messed with the sand area yet, take a picture and measure the size of the footprints. It can't hurt.

Call the police and ask about your area. There's a website that I can't remember where it pulls up local crime in your area, from break-ins to domestic disturbances.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    PikaPika Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Get a really big dog.

I think calling the cops is a good idea, aside from the advice, they could drive by your place at night deterring potential thieves. You could also try one of those timed light switch things, where it turns on random lights in the house.

Pika on
    I'll crawl around in your tall grass.
    0475 6628 0747
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I called the local police desk, and aside from meager advice (don't leave anything unlocked, leave lights on, etc) there isn't anything they can do. Police occasionally stroll the neighborhood at night, but haven't recently. Good thing is, they're only a couple of streets away.

I can't get a dog, much as I want to. It's too expensive in care, and costs additional "pet rent".

I've taken a picture of some of the footprints that remain, but my own footprints and a light breeze has reduced the sight of them. (Wasn't really thinking when I first checked it out :oops:)

I'll have to keep an eye out for strange cars, but it's somewhat of a "party hood", so I'm not sure what to watch out for (I've got some cars pegged as normal, and there's limited parking space anyway). I think what I'm gonna have to do next time is watch these people leave and see where they go, I didn't do that the first few times because I brushed it off as normal.

Thanks!

Newtron on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you have a friend with a big dog, borrow it.
    Oh, and call the cops. Duh.

Edit: I guess this was pointless.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Next time someone knocks, ask if they're there to install your security system.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2009
    If you go the timed light avenue, buy a bunch of them (they're cheap) and have them go on sequentially throughout the house as if you had just come home and turned on the lights. 615 turn on the hallway and living room, 620 turn on the kitchen etc.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Next time someone knocks, ask if they're there to install your security system.

aha, I'll have to do that!

As far as the timed lights go, I'll look into it. Anyone got a figure of how much the average one might cost or how difficult they are to install? I'm not afraid of doing a little electrical work on my own, as I've already replaced the phone jacks in the place (for free no less!) and have rudimentary electrical knowledge thanks to school and my brother.

Also, I don't think I'd be comfortable with "borrowing a dog". I'll probably go pick up some "beware of dog" signs and just fake having one, though.

Newtron on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you have a friend with a big dog, borrow it.
    Oh, and call the cops. Duh.

Edit: I guess this was pointless.

Have none of y'all seen It Takes a Thief? Dogs are pretty much useless.

I'd say be prepared for the worst just in case and do this:
    http://www.statefarm.com/learning/loss_prevent/learning_loss_homeinventory1.asp

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    PikaPika Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pika on
    I'll crawl around in your tall grass.
    0475 6628 0747
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I doubt this is serious and useful advice, but we keep the targets from our most recent trip to the firing range in the doors of our apartment here. It's always given us a sense of security!

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd buy a shotgun.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    OrionStylesOrionStyles Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was compelled to register and respond to this thread.

You must be wary of "bump" keys, which criminals use to gain entry with no evidence of forced entry. When you changed your locks, if they are bump proof, then happy day. If not, you should look into it and take precautions (such as getting some goop that makes a normal lock bump proof).

OrionStyles on
  • Options
    TinuzTinuz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Try to install a motion sensing 'flood' light in your back yard as well.

Tinuz on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    I'd buy a shotgun.

Extrapolating on this, the ratcheting sound a shot gun can make can be fucking terrifying. What if when someone was knocking on the door you made that sound, then asked who it was?
    I bet they would move away from the door, but I also wonder what legal areas this steps in.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tinuz wrote: »
    Try to install a motion sensing 'flood' light in your back yard as well.

TL DR on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i would look into motion sensor lights for the back gate area

so super beat'd

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I've considered buying a handgun of some sort, as I've had more experience firing that and a rifle over a shotgun. Trouble is I don't have a whole lot of money and time for a gun course, so that's more of a future consideration. I'll have to check the local gun laws on it to (in New Mexico).

The floodlight is a brilliant idea, and I'll look into that too. Only problem with that issue though is the local stray cats that still use my side yard as a thruway and/or litterbox. I suppose that will scare em, though (and wake me up in the early morning :x ).

Thanks guys!

Newtron on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    I'd buy a shotgun.

Extrapolating on this, the ratcheting sound a shot gun can make can be fucking terrifying. What if when someone was knocking on the door you made that sound, then asked who it was?
    I bet they would move away from the door, but I also wonder what legal areas this steps in.

However, a shotgun is not nearly as effective when no one is home. He did say they were trying to find out when he isn't home. The motion sensing light is a great idea. You said this was an apartment, right? Checking with the landlord about security systems would be a good idea as well. Also, keeping blinds closed and having timers for indoor lights when you aren't home is also helpful.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I was compelled to register and respond to this thread.

You must be wary of "bump" keys, which criminals use to gain entry with no evidence of forced entry. When you changed your locks, if they are bump proof, then happy day. If not, you should look into it and take precautions (such as getting some goop that makes a normal lock bump proof).

Thanks for the heads up! I looked into this and it's pretty worrying stuff.

I'll have to see what I can do about this (I don't think I wanna replace my locks again, but I can do it myself next time for cheap if I have to).

I don't think these guys lookin at my place are to sophisticated to know about or use bump keys, but one can never be to sure.

Thanks!

Newtron on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I dunno, I know about bumpkeys and I only read the internet. If they are smart enough to "case your joint", they might be all up on the new tech.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm sure someone makes a product you can hang on your doorknob and when anyone tries to open it a speaker on the other side plays a recorded barking sound. You don't need a dog, they don't need to know you don't have one.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Make sure your Renter's Insurance is paid and up to date, take pics of all your valuables and keep the pics at a friends house. Ask your land lord to pony up for a security system.

meeker on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    meeker wrote: »
    Make sure your Renter's Insurance is paid and up to date, take pics of all your valuables and keep the pics at a friends house. Ask your land lord to pony up for a security system.

as somebody who was robbed twice a few years back, i can't recommend this enough.

the wook on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My dad put a few fake cameras (you can get them at most electronic stores) and put them up in choice locations around our lake house (it was broken in a few years ago). We haven't had a problem since, and we're gone from that house weeks at a time. That, and putting up those official 'protected by security system x' that you can get at hardware stores probably couldn't hurt.

My dad is also crazy, and he put razorwire behind the TV so people would be sliced up if they tried to unplug anything without a good light. My mom made him take it down because it was crazy, and we would probably get sued if a burglar actually got hurt on it.

But the fake camera thing is pretty smart. Having someone you trust, like a friend/relative/etc, randomly show up and go into your house when you aren't around might help. Mix it up a bit so anyone scouting doesn't know whats going on. Just having another car show up in your driveway might make it seem too risky, and dissuade them.

Also, you should watch this documentary.
    Home-Alone.jpg

An-D on
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There are also some low-cost technological solutions you might consider. For example, when I was a kid we had a small stand-alone burglar alarm. Once set, it would emit a tremendous noise if anyone walked in front of it without disarming it first (it had a 5-digit code). It was battery powered off a 9-volt.

There are also some slightly more advanced, but still low-cost systems. That one, for about $150-200, will give you a keychain remote to disable it, and will make a similar tremendous noise if someone trips it while armed, which might scare off a burglar or alert neighbors or passers-by. For an additional $20 a month (a good investment for maybe 1-3 months until this blows over) you can plug it into the phone line and get actual alarm monitoring service, so if someone trips it you (and/or the police) get notified.

Many of these products (both low-tech and cheap, and slightly higher-tech like the LaserShield) are available at, e.g., Home Depot.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The next time some random person comes knocking, flat out tell them that all the locks are changed now so the keys are useless, and that you've installed a security system.

Or ask them for ID. That should freak them out.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    The next time some random person comes knocking, flat out tell them that all the locks are changed now so the keys are useless, and that you've installed a security system.

Or ask them for ID. That should freak them out.

I think that Mudd is on to something here. If I was a thief and my scouting target said "Listen asshole, I know I'm being scouted and I'm watching you and taking appropriate steps" instead of playing the dumb mark and setting up defenses in secret, I'd just move on to greener pastures.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Security motion lights.
    Alarm- You might be able to get a decrease on rent if you are renting or maybe get them to pay for some of it as it helps the apartment be kept safe. An alarm in an apartment block will get your neighbours to come out and at least tell you to shut the F*kin thing off if not just to investigate.

Give a mate a key and get them to come and go a few times a week by themselfs. If someone really is checking out your place and they notice an extra person come and go it will change things completely.

about a year ago I noticed someone walking up and down our street a few days a week for 2 weeks. He looked out of place and was looking over fences. The week after I saw a van that looked out of place. I took the plates down and called the cops on it. I'm not sure if that was them but the police said they would certainly chase it up and if that doesn't scare them off I dont know what will.

You have already said that you gave them the impression that you were not home when someone knocked over and over on your door. If they didnt break in then they probably wont. The fact that they also walked up to your window and walked off means they probably didnt see stuff they like anyway.

Few extra things

Alarm company stickers, just the stickers works wonders on doors because they think you have a monitored alarm. But alarms are not expensive these days anyway. Nor are fake red flashing LED's that look like security lights.

I'm sure you will be fine. Apartments are not ideal targets I would think because the neighbors are more close to each other. Properties with high fences and are away from roads are main targets.

As mudd said next time someone strange knocks, go to the door and slip something along the lines of. Oh. sorry i thought you were hear to install the alarm. or Sorry im on the phone with a security company. Ill be with you in just a second.

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Buy a shotgun and learn how to use it in case you're home when/if they decide to break in. It's not actually even that expensive (a Mossberg 500 12 ga can be bought for a little over 200 bucks).

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Gafoto wrote: »
    Buy a shotgun and learn how to use it in case you're home when/if they decide to break in. It's not actually even that expensive (a Mossberg 500 12 ga can be bought for a little over 200 bucks).

dont be stupid....
    Why would you want to go to jail for life and have the guilt of shooting someone dead and have their head or guts splattered all over your walls and tv. You may of well let him steal it. You are only ever able to use the same force as the other person. The robber uses a knife you have to use a knife or less. use a gun and you go to jail.

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

dont be stupid....
    Why would you want to go to jail for life and have the guilt of shooting someone dead and have their head or guts splattered all over your walls and tv. You may of well let him steal it. You are only ever able to use the same force as the other person. The robber uses a knife you have to use a knife or less. use a gun and you go to jail.

What magical rulebook are you pulling that from. I agree that personal property isnt worth your life but if the guy is armed and you have a gun i'd pop him, just dont shoot the guy in the back.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    BeazleBeazle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    dont be stupid....

Not in Texas. You can fire away with what ever you have. A few years ago they passed the Castle Law that lets you protect your house with whatever force you think is appropriate.

Beazle on
  • Options
    MegoDrDoomMegoDrDoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

dont be stupid....

Castle Doctrine in the United States

Not to start a debate or anything... New mexico is listed on there. Know your states laws before you go arming yourself (applies to everyone)

etc, so forth.

Beat'd by Beazle

MegoDrDoom on
    XBL and PSN - MegoDrDoom
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009

dont be stupid....

That's not true at all.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    yeah sorry i stated Australian laws. Still common sense would say don't get a gun when you are feeling so nervous and scared about this in the first place. You will end up shooting the first person walking through that front door. There are plenty of other options that don't require killing.

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

dont be stupid....

Varies state to state. I know in CO it is perfectly legal for me to shoot and kill an intruded if I feel threatened. Hell, it is even called the "make my day" law.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    yeah sorry i stated Australian laws. Still common sense would say don't get a gun when you are feeling so nervous and scared about this in the first place. You will end up shooting the first person walking through that front door. There are plenty of other options that don't require killing.

I agree with the later sentiment, but you are still wrong about the legalities of self-defense in Australia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-defence_(Australia)
    In the South Australian Court of Criminal Appeal in R v Howe (1958) SASR 95, Mason J formulated six propositions on the law of self-defence were accepted as a model direction on self-defence in murder trials. Thus, a full acquittal was achieved if the jury found that the accused had reasonably believed that he or she was being threatened with death or serious bodily harm and, if so, that the force used was reasonably proportionate to the perceived danger. In Zecevic v Director of Public Prosecutions (Vic) (1987) 162 CLR 645 the victim rented a unit from the defendant. The defendant became increasingly annoyed with the victim who kept leaving the security gates of the unit unlocked. After one heated exchange, the defendant was stabbed by the tenant. The defendant, fearing that the tenant was about to get a gun from his car, rushed off and got his shotgun. The defendant returned, and shot and killed the tenant. The majority of the High Court said at 661:
    The question to be asked in the end is quite simple. It is whether the accused believed upon reasonable grounds that it was necessary in self-defence to do what he did. If he had that belief and there were reasonable grounds for it, or if the jury is left in reasonable doubt about the matter, then he is entitled to an acquittal. Stated in this form, the question is one of general application and is not limited to cases of homicide.

So you have the right to reasonably defend yourself. I don't think many courts will claim that defending yourself with a firearm from an ongoing knife attack would be an unreasonable use of force. Can you cite a case?

Doc on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Put really important shit in a safety deposit box. You should probably do that anyways.

NotYou on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know you just changed your locks, but if you're really worried about bumping and so forth, look into an Abloy disklock(or a similar high security disk tumbler lock. I'm not sure if they're sold in the U.S. but worth checking out). That shit can't be bumped, and pretty much the only person that can get one open without a key is a professional locksmith, especially with the anti-drilling plates.

I really don't understand why anyone still uses pin tumbler locks, as they're relatively easy to open in comparison. I guess they're a bit cheaper.

Rhan9 on
This discussion has been closed.