As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

*SOLVED* Wire Coat Hanger on Plane?

DJ-99DJ-99 Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Simple question. Can I bring a wire coat hanger onto a plane? In fact, the majority of it is wood, just the curvy tip is metal. I couldn't find anything specific to coat hangers on the TSA website, although "sharp objects" are prohibited.

I waited on the phone with AerLingus for about an hour, but couldn't get anybody to answer my call.

I think these are allowed on planes, but just wanted to see if anybody actually knew for certain.

Thanks.

DJ-99 on

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Are you on your way to the airport now, or this hanger has sentimental value, or is there some other reason you can't just replace it with a plastic one? That kind of thing seems like it'd be up to the particular TSA agent and whether or not he feels like fucking with someone that day.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You are describing the type of hanger found in every garmet bag out there. You should be fine.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • DJ-99DJ-99 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Are you on your way to the airport now, or this hanger has sentimental value, or is there some other reason you can't just replace it with a plastic one? That kind of thing seems like it'd be up to the particular TSA agent and whether or not he feels like fucking with someone that day.

I need to transport like 3 suits. Too heavy for plastic.

DJ-99 on
  • KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DJ-99 wrote: »
    Simple question. Can I bring a wire coat hanger onto a plane? In fact, the majority of it is wood, just the curvy tip is metal. I couldn't find anything specific to coat hangers on the TSA website, although "sharp objects" are prohibited.

I waited on the phone with AerLingus for about an hour, but couldn't get anybody to answer my call.

I think these are allowed on planes, but just wanted to see if anybody actually knew for certain.

Thanks.
    If you're referring to checked baggage, I've checked a suit bag with multiple wire hangers numerous times, and within the last couple months.

Carry-on luggage could well be a different matter.

Kivutar on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kinda depends on how attentive the TSA lackey manning the x-ray scanner is. My roommate managed to bring a replacement razor head on the plane once and started shaving while we were in the air.

As to whether its allowed or not, they don't allow toe-nail clippers on. If brought to their attention they may go ahead and say it could be used to stab someone in the eye.

Arrath on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    The Mile High Abortion Club.

Just hang each suit on an individual plastic hangar?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    no, they should not have a problem with hangars.

Dunadan019 on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Arrath wrote: »
    Kinda depends on how attentive the TSA lackey manning the x-ray scanner is. My roommate managed to bring a replacement razor head on the plane once and started shaving while we were in the air.

As to whether its allowed or not, they don't allow toe-nail clippers on. If brought to their attention they may go ahead and say it could be used to stab someone in the eye.

Except...safety razors and nail clippers are both items that passengers are allowed to take as carry-on.

OP, there's absolutely no prohibition on shirt hangers.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • DJ-99DJ-99 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks guys!

Yeah, I bring safety razors on all the time, and I had assumed hangers would be ok, just wanted to be reassured.

DJ-99 on
This discussion has been closed.