As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

122 years, 164 days.

misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Social Entropy++
Jeanne Calment lived to meet Vincent Van Gogh, to see the roaring twenties, Great Depression, both world wars, the Sixties, the horrible 80's, the internet, and beyond.
She gave up smoking at the age of 117, only five years before her death. Though she relapsed for a year she finally gave up smoking at the age of 119 years (blindness made it difficult for her to light a cigarette, and she was reluctant to ask others for help). When asked on one occasion for her prescription for a long life, she mentioned garlic, vegetables, cigarettes, red wine, and avoiding brawls. On another occasion, she ascribed her longevity and relatively youthful appearance for her age to olive oil, which she said she poured on all her food and rubbed onto her skin, as well as a diet of port wine, and nearly 1 kilo of chocolate eaten every week.

I love the French.

I have no idea what this thread is about... Perhaps the benefits of a strict diet of wine and chocolate?

misbehavin on

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wait is she dead?

man god damnit

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    could you make it about fucking GGGILFs

Brolo on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rolo wrote: »
    could you make it about fucking GGGILFs

This is a concept that terrifies me.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey, I have french blood in me!

Too bad I'm not a woman.

Meiz on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    hahaha man I thought she was still alive til now

huh

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Gertrude Baines is still alive. 115 years.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    hahaha man I thought she was still alive til now

huh

Well, she wanted to live longer, but she ran out of olive oil and chocolate and said, "fuck it."

misbehavin on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    The secret to living a long life is being born a freak genetic anomaly.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So who's the oldest person now

who gets her quickening

Butler on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Butler wrote: »
    So who's the oldest person now

who gets her quickening
    misbehavin wrote: »
    Gertrude Baines is still alive. 115 years.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    Baron GreenbackBaron Greenback Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There was a report here that an English international rugby player who lives and plays in France is actually losing weight from the food, he eats foie gras and shed loads of bread and the like but the theory is this is the good stuff and not the stodgy crap from the UK.

Baron Greenback on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    QuethalQuethal The Infrequent OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There was a report here that an English international rugby player who lives and plays in France is actually losing weight from the food, he eats foie gras and shed loads of bread and the like but the theory is this is the good stuff and not the stodgy crap from the UK.

It's the skinny hormones the crazy government put in the water there, along with the nicotine they add to make the entire country addicted to cigarettes (seriously everyone smokes like a chimney). I have this friend who's in France, and she said that most guys' thighs are about the same size as her calves.

Quethal on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Eh. I think I'll be done by the time I'm 60.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    My grandparents all made it to their 90's, so I can hope to make it that long.
    * fingers crossed *

misbehavin on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I wonder who alive has the most amount of 'greats' in front of their grandmother or grandfather status.

Which country has exceptionally slutty people with exceptionally long life spans?

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The one reason I want to live to be 100 or older is to see all the crazy things that humans go through in that time, what we accomplish and what crazy troubles we encounter.

Quethal on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The oncology receptionist just wagged her finger at me for stepping out for a cigarette.

Pfffffffffffff

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Quethal wrote: »
    The one reason I want to live to be 100 or older is to see all the crazy things that humans go through in that time, what we accomplish and what crazy troubles we encounter.

I don't think I'm going to make it to the era of the flying rape cyborgs-gods.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

You don't really spend a lot of time watching people, do you?

misbehavin on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i dont want to die

come on biotechnology, molecular nanotechnology, and genetic engineering!

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I just want to live to see the day we finally actually become an ecologically acceptable culture that replaces as much as we consume.
    I mean to say, the current energy issues that face the next hundred years or so are going to be pretty interesting. What if we never solve fusion energy or any of the other solutions? What about the question of global conglomerate empires becoming a prevailing governing power? Lotta sci-fi stuff sure, but entirely plausible considering the power they already issue.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Zephyr wrote: »
    i dont want to die

come on biotechnology, molecular nanotechnology, and genetic engineering!

Nanotech is gonna be a great way to die.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I wanna die in the apocalypse.

None of this "cancer" bullshit... I want to see something the size of the moon collide with the earth at half the speed of light, see the giant, dozen-mile-high plume of fire and ash for a brief second from halfway across the globe before it pulverizes me into my individual molecules and breaks the earth into several dozen chunks.

Or perhaps a supernovae... That could be fun to watch too just before we all fry.

I just hope I make it...

misbehavin on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

None of this "cancer" bullshit... I want to see something the size of the moon collide with the earth at half the speed of light, see the giant, dozen-mile-high plume of fire and ash for a brief second from halfway across the globe before it pulverizes me into my individual molecules and breaks the earth into several dozen chunks.

Or perhaps a supernovae... That could be fun to watch too just before we all fry.

I just hope I make it...

Maybe you'll get to live long enough to see the other 10 pieces of earth floating off through space before the entire system collapses. I'd take a picture of that.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I think you're already in that age, Rolo. You just need to be more observant.

Quethal on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's weird to think that it's not entirely unfeasible that we could live to see, like, the year 2085

what the fuck that's so futuristic

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I just want to live to see the day we finally actually become an ecologically acceptable culture that replaces as much as we consume.
    I mean to say, the current energy issues that face the next hundred years or so are going to be pretty interesting. What if we never solve fusion energy or any of the other solutions? What about the question of global conglomerate empires becoming a prevailing governing power? Lotta sci-fi stuff sure, but entirely plausible considering the power they already issue.

Exactly. I want to see if we reach this point before we reach the proverbial point of no return, where the Earth is trashed.

I just hope I make it...

I never have true nightmares, but when I do have a dream that causes me to wake with a very unsettling feeling, it's always something to do with the Earth getting destroyed.

On an unrelated note, this weekend, I dreamed that my passenger side automatic window, which was broken, had started working. That next day, it actually started working (after being broken for 2 months). I sure hope this isn't a trend.

Quethal on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm freezing myself until Earth comes together to join hands as a unified planet and expand it's iron-fisted dominion past the reaches of the solar system, enslaving all beings that stand in our way.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

What else would you call the Bush presidency?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Gafoto wrote: »

What else would you call the Bush presidency?

Then I declare this the era of CYBORG JUSTICE

cyborg_justice_image_JhUUXOGlTFzrhT5.jpg

Brolo on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure

Oh sorry, got all gay and Rent like reading this thread title.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    God I hate fucking Rent

Brolo on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Quit fucking him then

I've never tried it, is he really as terrible as they say

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    he has aids

everyone has aids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Si8beWhBkg

Brolo on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    that movie was funny for about 3 minutes.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TiBTiB Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The large majority of my ancestry is French, I am a lady, a eat like her

LIVING FOREVER ER'DAY

TiB on
    SatW.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    oh come on marionettes having sex

that is the most hilarious thing I am sure

Brolo on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hunter wrote: »

That implies there are precisely ten hours' worth of non-dear moments every year.

Butler on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Butler wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »

That implies that are precisely ten hours' worth of non-dear moments every year.

365 x 24 x 60

Unless you're really getting specific with the 1/4 of a day each year that we add together as a leap year.

edit: oh, I see. I just cut and paste. If it's wrong or you feel like a dick for 10 hours a year it's cool.

Hunter on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    I like how some people insist on drawing the wrong conclusions from information like this. "See? She smoked all her life and lived so long, no need to quit smoking! Eat all the chocolate you want!"

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg