As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reccomend On: 360 Games for Local Multiplayer

SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
So I've had a 360 for a few months, and while it is a fun system, it's been a pretty solitary experience for me so far. None of my good friends are that into gaming so Xbox Live wouldn't really be worth it. They do come over from time to time though, so I would really like to have something with solid local multiplayer to play with other people. I'm really not that picky when it comes to genres. So what are your hands down favorite 360 games to play with other people locally?

Right now I'm leaning towards these games:
Gears of War 2
Halo 3
Street Fighter 4

Smurph on

• Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gears 2 and Halo 3 are excellent choices if you like coop. I think Gears only lets you do 2 player splitscreen, but even if you have to pass the controller around, horde mode is what they call tres bon. The competitive multiplayer in Gears isn't so hot though, especially if you don't have a lot of players, so keep that in mind.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Geometry wars 2

awesome mode where one player flies the ship and the other controls the guns. It is always fun trying to work with another player on this one.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Heavy Weapon is another awesome local (or online for that matter) multiplayer XBLA game that I highly recommend.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This thread has gone for four posts with no mention of Marvel Ultimate Alliance?

For shame.

Ten dollars and you too can have Doc Strange turning uppity demons into boxes.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Try Carcassonne, it's a damn fun board game. I hear Settlers of Catan is very good as well, you may want to check those two out (they're available only on XBLA) and see if your friends are interested.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I've already got MUA for the PC and have played through it and had fun with it, but it might still be worth $10. I will look into the Arcade games.

Smurph on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    Try Carcassonne, it's a damn fun board game. I hear Settlers of Catan is very good as well, you may want to check those two out (they're available only on XBLA) and see if your friends are interested.

Stay away from Catan if you want local multi since it does not support it.
    And if you like easy platformers and/or going back through levels with new characters to 100% complete things then the LEGO games are great.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How has Castle Crashers not been mentioned yet? Check out the demo on xbla, its a up to 4 player beat em up with replay value.

Halo 3 can be fun multiplayer *if* you have a decent size (40'+) tv. And your friends are into halo.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Castle Crashers and TMNT '89 can slake your thirst for beat-'em-ups, plus I think Streets of Rage 2 is also on XBLA. Bomberman Live is also really well-done, and even though it's probably cheaper and more enjoyable just to buy the deck of cards there's always Uno!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    I would honestly not recommend Halo 3 for splitscreen because many of the maps are just too big for only-4-player local games. Cold Storage is about the only really split-screenable map (it's a free DLC map) with Foundry close behind (also free as part of the Heroic map pack)

However, if they don't really care about gamertags and such you can just take yourself and 3 guests in Halo 3 into Social Slayer in matchmaking (i'd probably recommending turning on Mute All)

Banjo-Tooie XBLA has local multiplayer in it, too.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but Earth Defense Force 2017 was made specifically for two player local multiplayer.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Call of Duty: World at War for Nazi Zombies
    Left for Dead

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is what I play when my friends come over, for 360:

Resident Evil 5
    Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
    Left4Dead
    Call of Duty: World at War (Nazi Zombies)

that's all you really need. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Absolutely Bomberman, EDF 2017 and Castle Crashers. These get a lot of mileage when I have friends over.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    bionic commando rearmed

all it has is local multi, but it is a blast

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Obligatory EDF 2017. Best coop shooter you'll ever play when you have a couple of friends over and just want to have fun.

Gears gives some nice coop mileage, as does Marvel Ultimate Alliance...

Geometry Wars 2 also has wonderful multiplayer.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I would honestly not recommend Halo 3 for splitscreen because many of the maps are just too big for only-4-player local games. Cold Storage is about the only really split-screenable map (it's a free DLC map) with Foundry close behind (also free as part of the Heroic map pack)

However, if they don't really care about gamertags and such you can just take yourself and 3 guests in Halo 3 into Social Slayer in matchmaking (i'd probably recommending turning on Mute All)

Banjo-Tooie XBLA has local multiplayer in it, too.

It's two players only, but Halo 3 local co-op is great.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    XBLA:

Bionic Commando: Rearmed. The game is much more difficult with two players, very fun but not the best "I'm good and my buddy sucks" game.

Dishwasher: Dead Samurai has a workable two player mode. It requires some time to unlock (its pretty early in the game, so you can co-op most everything). The game isn't really built with co-op in mind but its fun and it works and the game costs like $10.

Assault Heroes 1 and 2.

Sacred 2 apparently has two player support, never played it myself.

Rainbow Six Vegas: 2. (The first has co-op support but its really crappy co-op. The sequel is great co-op).

Resident Evil 5.

Castle Crashers.

Left 4 Dead.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    XBLA:

Bionic Commando: Rearmed. The game is much more difficult with two players, very fun but not the best "I'm good and my buddy sucks" game.

Dishwasher: Dead Samurai has a workable two player mode. It requires some time to unlock (its pretty early in the game, so you can co-op most everything). The game isn't really built with co-op in mind but its fun and it works and the game costs like $10.

Assault Heroes 1 and 2.

Sacred 2 apparently has two player support, never played it myself.

Rainbow Six Vegas: 2. (The first has co-op support but its really crappy co-op. The sequel is great co-op).

Resident Evil 5.

Castle Crashers.

Left 4 Dead.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Obligatory EDF 2017. Best coop shooter you'll ever play when you have a couple of friends over and just want to have fun.

Absolutely. I own this and I don't even own a 360! I just know that when I get access to a 360 again, it's the first game I want to play with mates.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sacred 2 and RE 5 are both great local co-op games.

spamfilter on
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am offended no one has recommended N+.

I'd recommend:

N+, Castle Crashers, Geometry Wars 2, Bomberman, Worms, EDF2017

For fun RPG style coop, Tales of Vesperia

Karrmer on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What about Wrecking Crew mode on Red Faction Guerilla? It's "one player, pass the controller around," but taking turns seeing how much mass destruction you can cause is always fun.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow, twenty-four posts and no mention of Rock Band.

Sangheili91 on
  • Options
    Capncrunch7Capncrunch7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Left 4 Dead has local multiplayer on xbox? In what form?

Capncrunch7 on
    XBLA: gogogadgetchris
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Left 4 Dead has local multiplayer on xbox? In what form?
    2 player splitscreen, and you can play online or off. It's my favorite way to play the game, nothing beats having your buddy right there.

Darlan on
  • Options
    BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just picked up the UFC game this weekend. My father-in-law was visiting and when we played the demo, he got so hooked that he immediately ran out and bought the game for me. We played nonstop all day Sunday.

If you or your friends have any interest in MMA, I'd recommend it.

Brym on
  • Options
    echo 78echo 78 Title Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I play split screen with my brothers all the time.

All from the top of my head:

Dynasty Warriors 6
    Halo 3
    Gears Of War 2
    Castle Crashers
    TMNT Arcade
    Left 4 Dead
    Stuntman: Ignition
    Guitar Hero2/3/WT
    Call Of Duty: World at War
    Naruto: The Broken Bond
    Soul Calibur 4

echo 78 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow, twenty-four posts and no mention of Rock Band.

Pretty easily the most played multiplayer game in my house. GoW2, Castle Crashers and Soul Calibur after.

symbolsor on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll recommend Castle Crashers and Red Faction, but are great fun, thought the latter is a hot seat type of deal.

Man, I didn't know L4D had splitscreen, I'll have to get that right now.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dartboy wrote: »
    What about Wrecking Crew mode on Red Faction Guerilla? It's "one player, pass the controller around," but taking turns seeing how much mass destruction you can cause is always fun.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, Rock Band would be awesome but I'm just not the kind of guy who will get that into Rock Band or Guitar Hero on my own. I owned all the GH games on PS2, but never really had the urge to play by myself. I totally forgot about castle crashers though, will definitely pick that up.

Smurph on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Earth Defense Force 2017 is currently bundled with Samurai Warriors 2 for $20. That seems like a good price for a fun co-op shooter, but I know diddly squat about Samurai Warriors 2. Is it just standard Dynasty Warriors hack-and-slash? In Japan? Still, those games can be pretty fun coop. Unless you're both really serious about your coop games, it seems like $20 well spent.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    Dartboy wrote: »

Totally this.

Also, buy Rock Band 2 regardless, best multiplayer of all time.

Also, as has been said XBLA Heavy Weapon, Castle Crashers and Geometry Wars 2 are all you should ever need for co-op shenanigans. But grab EDF2017 too, because, you know, giant fucking ants all up ins.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg