As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Another Opening, Another Show

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can't think of a single musical I've seen in a theatre that hasn't been absolutely amazing

Maybe I just get really swept up in the crowd

Hurrah for this thread!

Also: One of my dad's myriad hobbies (and he manages to be decent at all of them) is taking part in local Gilbert and Sullivan productions

Janson on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Janson what've you seen

YaYa on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Les Miserables (the west end production really is so good)
    Rocky Horror Show
    Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
    Sound of Music
    Uh, I guess the aforementioned Gilbert & Sullivan!

I'm sure there's probably been others, but not many, and it's pretty shameful how few I've seen considering how close I lived to London (one of my friends goes maybe 4-5 times a year, but always with her mother)

I love musicals, but all the rest I've seen in films

Janson on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    none of those are bad shows, and professional productions of them would be amazing

hell, Joseph is the only Webber show I tolerate, which is saying a lot

but you need to get more contemporary

move back to London and hit up West End

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    actually I take it back, Sound of Music is abominable

YaYa on
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I booed at the end of Les Mis when I saw it years ago. A few other people did as well, but there were some horrified looks in the audience at this reaction we were having

People need to understand that it is alright to boo a bad performance, or at least not jump out of your seat for a standing ovation. Don't stick around because you paid a lot for the tickets if you think the show is lousy. I've walked out on several operas because they really were not up to par with what I know the show is supposed to be

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I dunno Fiz

it would take a lot for me to boo a show

what sort of badness are we talking about here

YaYa on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Amazing

E: I also love the South Park Movie for this

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    YaYa wrote: »
    I dunno Fiz

it would take a lot for me to boo a show

what sort of badness are we talking about here

Mediocre singing, bad staging, "modernizing" the story by including pop culture references, a lousy conductor, etc

There are so many ways that a show can be ruined. If I was in the audience for the production of Marriage of Figaro I am doing now I'd probably boo at it or leave during the second intermission. Quite a few issues with my fellow performers

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm sorry, what?

modernizing Les Mis?

MODERNIZING LES FUCKING MIS

I'd have walked out

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    JUST FOR STEALING A MOUTHFUL OF SOYLENT GREEN

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    fuck you AMP'd, you owe me a keyboard

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    They didn't modernize that one. I have done quite a few other shows though where they tried to take the same story and put it in modern times.

Les Mis was just dreadful. I can appreciate most of the songs on their own, but I would rather sit through the shitfest that is Rent than have to see that show again

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Really though I don't think I clapped for our Gavroche

The second his balls drop, there goes all of his "talent"

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    neville wrote: »
    lostwords wrote: »
    is this the thread where i can admit to loving moulin rouge?

there was a phase in college where i watched it pretty much every day, did sing alongs with a few friends and everything.

God yes.

Ironically, I was kicked OUT of seeing the movie the first time.
    Apparently what "I was doing" bothered the other patrons.

And of course I was a bit ashamed since I
    was sitting next to another guy.
    And doing nothing.

SHOCKING!

You were kicked out for being gay? That is pretty shitty. People piss me off

Yeah and its like... you're offended by two gay dudes while watching Moulin Rouge?
    Either your wife has bigger nuts than you, or you're closeted.
    Either way, you're a much bigger faggot than me, so fuck those assholes.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I swear, "Baby Got Back" has got to be the most redone rap song ever.

Yeah but you gotta admit Jonathan Coulton did it pretty well.

yeah his version is great

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought Producers sucked, which is a shame. I love Spaceballs.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That really is some straight-up bullshit, Neville. I'd like to say I would have flipped the fuck out at them, but in all honesty I would have been too shocked and/or appalled to even react with anger until after I'd left the theatre.

I've never boo'ed a show, but I've definitely declined to applaud. I feel too bad for the actors and their sucking to audibly announce how crappy I thought they were. Kafka on the Shore comes immediately to mind. Ughhhhhhh... but then, I am also the sort of person who doesn't watch the end of baseball games on TV because I feel so bad for the losers, so.

Janson, musical films count, too!

Bing and Grace

or

Fred and Ginger

or

Maurice Chevalier Bein a Creeper

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    ZachardeZacharde Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Before I kicked myself out of the professional musical theater world, I back staged for a lot of the biggies. Les Miserables, Phantom, Miss Saigon. Mostly it was pretty cool, though the pay was horrific. I much preferred working smaller shows, but the pay there makes the pay for the big musicals look positively luxurious.

Eventually realized I was having way more fun at the amateur level, and got out.

For most horrific experience ever, I got trapped in a horrible horrible touring production of Aspects of Love. I would stand offstage, waiting to give cues and trying to imagine ways of arranging the accidental deaths everyone on stage. I would award myself bonus points if my plan had a chance of killing the six or seven suckers in the audience who showed up to watch. You see, it was important that there be no witnesses to my shame.

It was that bad.

Zacharde on
    "For future reference, I was sort of hoping for a suggestion that didn't sound like it came from that Bolshevik Muppet with all the dynamite."
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    white christmas is a good musical.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BydclihZXocx1qwsZ1cFackjo1_500.jpg

Robcham on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wish I had been here yesterday for this thread, I love musicals to death, participate in them whenever I can.

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    My roommate and his fiancee went to New York last year and got to see Spring Awakening, Legally Blonde, The Last 5 Years and uhhh....something else. And they're going to see RENT in a month or two with several of the original cast members.

I saw that tour of Rent with some of the originals and it was pretty good, but all of the crazy Rentheads was a bit much for me

this is how I felt, saw it and the show was great but so many Rentheads

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

that is a shame

the original Producers is genius

Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder were two of the funniest men ever to have lived

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Every time you say how much you love The Producers, you take a little piece of my heart.

I just want you to know that.

You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown never really struck a chord with me except for that song and the book report song, but I love those ones so much!

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

that is a shame

It will be a goddamn sad day when Gene Wilder dies.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD FOR SO LONG

So musical theater, right?

I'm actually, in a break from my normal work, in a show currently(La Cage Aux Folles). I got another week on the run and then I have a few gigs lined back up on things I actually know what I'm doing with. But while I was on my way to play for a festival the MD, who's a good friend of mine, asked me to audition. Well I couldn't, because I was out of town for a festival. So her solution was to cast me anyways. It's an interesting diversion being back on stage. Of course then with my luck I'm playing opposite a girl who was a Musical Theater major and is only in town for a bit before getting her masters(in french literature of all things) after a year in NYC as an actress.

Also, there is nothing quite as grating as knowing exactly where and when each pit member is messing up, especially on instruments you play, and not being able to do anything about it. I mean I already have problems when the pianist is bad and I'm on guitar and just cover things I know they're missing, but when I can't do freaking anything about it? Awful.

Also, you know what the best musicals ever are?

Floyd Collins and Myths and Hymns. God Adam Guettal is absolutely incredible. Of course there aren't really that many good videos on youtube because they're not that well known. But jesus Guettal can goddamn write some motherfucking music. He's the only composer I know of that's good enough to pull off ending a show with the echoes of someone yodeling.

Khavall on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Every time you say how much you love The Producers, you take a little piece of my heart.

I just want you to know that.

You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown never really struck a chord with me except for that song and the book report song, but I love those ones so much!

You're a good man, Charlie Brown has, without a doubt, the best bow music ever written for musical theater.

Khavall on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Blankspace wrote: »
    Having just seen a production of My Fair Lady for the first time

fuck that show

What?

Die in a fire you fuckwit.

sarukun on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

that is a shame

It will be a goddamn sad day when Gene Wilder dies.

Would love to see that man do some shit again.

sarukun on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Re: Les Misbarack

When we did our production of Les Mis, the actual show was in November

We got that from our director

Re: Gene Wilder

Who else has seen the musical movie adaptation of The Little Prince?

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    saw Avenue Q for the third time last night

still funny

more at 11

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    sarukun wrote: »
    Blankspace wrote: »
    Having just seen a production of My Fair Lady for the first time

fuck that show

What?

Die in a fire you fuckwit.

I'm performing in a number from My Fair Lady this week

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    What number is it? I hope not "On the Street Where You Live" since that may be the one song I can't stand from that show.

Do you get to do costumes, or what sort of performance is it?

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    neville wrote: »
    I swear, "Baby Got Back" has got to be the most redone rap song ever.

Yeah but you gotta admit Jonathan Coulton did it pretty well.

yeah his version is great

I never heard any Jonathan Coulton stuff until recently when he started popping up on my Pandora.

I find his music to be generally unimpressive.

Yeah, he's got some funny and clever lyrics, but the music itself is generally very, very dull.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zacharde wrote: »
    Before I kicked myself out of the professional musical theater world, I back staged for a lot of the biggies. Les Miserables, Phantom, Miss Saigon. Mostly it was pretty cool, though the pay was horrific. I much preferred working smaller shows, but the pay there makes the pay for the big musicals look positively luxurious.

Eventually realized I was having way more fun at the amateur level, and got out.

For most horrific experience ever, I got trapped in a horrible horrible touring production of Aspects of Love. I would stand offstage, waiting to give cues and trying to imagine ways of arranging the accidental deaths everyone on stage. I would award myself bonus points if my plan had a chance of killing the six or seven suckers in the audience who showed up to watch. You see, it was important that there be no witnesses to my shame.

It was that bad.

I would never imagine that this would be the case. I can see professional actors being dicks but not the pay rate being so different.

When I'm an old retired man I'm going to live in New York and volunteer to usher broadway shows and give blowjobs in the bathroom because that is the gayest life plan I have

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What number is it? I hope not "On the Street Where You Live" since that may be the one song I can't stand from that show.

Do you get to do costumes, or what sort of performance is it?

My choir sang that in ninth grade and I really liked it. I mean, we were awful, but I thought the song was good.

I haven't seen the show, don't know any other songs from it.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    One thing that you only see if you get the dvd's for the latest season of Family Guy is this little G&S gem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBXHIP_BAh0

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg