As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Computer won't start

KrugKrug Registered User regular
Ambiguous title, I know.

So I recently built myself a new computer, gigabyte MA790X-UD4P motherboard, AMD phenom II X4 processor, geforce GTX 260 video card, corsair 650TX PSU, 4 gigs DDR2 ram, and optical drives and hard disks salvaged from my old computer.

Anyway, I left on a trip on tuesday, and just got back today, friday, and now my computer is having issues.

When I first turned it on, it started fine, but I couldn't move the mouse or use the keyboard, and when I tried plugging in a different mouse, it didn't get any power, so I did a hard restart.

The second time I started it up, and every subsequent time since then, the fans and LED's have turned on, but nothing shows up on the monitor, it just sits in "yellow power button mode", like it does if the monitor is turned on but the computer isn't, but it's not displaying a 'getting no signal' message. Also, I can't turn off or restart the computer by holding the power button, I had to pull the power.

I tried clearing CMOS by using a screwdriver to cross the jumpers for a few seconds, and all of the cables are plugged in tight, as are all the cards.

Is this a power supply issue? If so, how do I test for that? If not, what else should I be looking at?

Krug on

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It was a USB mouse you plugged in right? Cause plugging in a PS2 mouse while the power is on can (rarely) do very bad things.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Have you tried unplugging everything (even the HD and CD drive) and turning it on?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • KrugKrug Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It was a USB mouse you plugged in right? Cause plugging in a PS2 mouse while the power is on can (rarely) do very bad things.

Yes, USB mouse. My normal one that first didn't respond is wireless, as is the keyboard, both talk to a USB reciever. When they didn't work, I tried plugging in a wired USB mouse, but it didn't even get power.
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Have you tried unplugging everything (even the HD and CD drive) and turning it on?

I'm not sure I follow.

Krug on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That's just a way to find out if the motherboard is bad, which is something you should try. (In reference to SyphonBlue's post)

urahonky on
    edited June 2009
    I mean I'm not sure what he means to do. Got a link to instructions for this test?

Krug on
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've got the same MoBo and similar setup.

You sure cmos reset? another way is to take the battery out for 5 minutes then pop it back in.

Also take one of the sticks of ram out and try to start it with just the one in. If still nothing swap them out and try just the other stick. Try just one stick in a different slot (I had a bad slot_2 and if there was a stick in that slot I got what you're getting. Worked fine with just one in slot_1 or both in 1 & 3)

If that still doesn't work, try to find a different PCI-E video card or I tested with an old PCI video card I had laying around (wife used to have an HP w/o an AGP slot so we got her a PCI video card years ago).

While testing all of this I'd have all optical and hard drives unplug from the PSU and MoBo just to take them out of the loop and simplify things.

My Stats just for shits and giggles are:

AMD Phenom II X4 940
    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 1GB
    Antec 900
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 X 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM 1066
    CORASAIR 750W
    WD Black 640GB
    GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Alright, thanks for the tips, I'll give those a try later this evening and see if I can't get the computer to start up.

Though, is there any way to eliminate the PSU as a source of the issue right away? I have a strong suspicion that that's what's up. I forgot to mention, while I was away there was a big storm, and apparently the transformer got blown out. The computer wasn't on, but it was plugged in.

Krug on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh. Then yeah, it's very likely your PSU is fragged. It could easily have taken a good chunk of your motherboard with it. PSUs are supposed to sacrifice themselves for the good of the computer, but it doesn't often work out that well, especially when lightning and stuff is involved.

The easiest way to check is to try plugging a known good PSU into your mobo to see if it POSTs properly.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Krug wrote: »

Yes, USB mouse. My normal one that first didn't respond is wireless, as is the keyboard, both talk to a USB reciever. When they didn't work, I tried plugging in a wired USB mouse, but it didn't even get power.
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I'm not sure I follow.

Unplug all cables from the motherboard (except for power) then try turning it on. If it turns on, plug stuff in one at a time until you get to the problem hardware. If it doesn't turn on, change out the PSU. If that still doesn't work, get a new motherboard.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Torque MonkeyTorque Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The video card isn't getting power/isn't able to send a signal from what you're saying. If you have a spare PSU, switch the 24 and 4pin connector's(as well as for the video card, if it requires one) and see if you get video. If you don't have a power supply handy, check the back of the case to see if the PSU has an LED. If so, does it come on?

If it does come on, inspect the motherboard for any physical signs of damage, blown capacitors being the most likely. If you don't see anything, do you have a spare video card or does the motherboard have onboard video? If so, give one of those a shot.

Torque Monkey on
    Gojira2.png