As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Solved] Windows 7 Sound problems

variantvariant Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just built a new rig for my brother and decided to throw 7 on it but I seem to be having problems with getting the sound out.

I didn't install the drivers on the Asus disk (using on board sound) as it wouldnt even allow vista drivers.
It didnt find drivers on its own for everything though, including sound.

I tried two different headsets and played some music, cant hear anything.
I notice that the bar in the Volume Bar's equalizer is moving. also under sound devices the bar is moving.

I also noticed that when I speak in to the mic, the mic bar moves, so it's obviously picking it up, Also tried Ventrillo and my brother could hear me on the other end, so the mic part of the driver is obviously working.

But why not the headphones/output?

Here's a screenshot if that helps...

7problem.th.png

Could be that it doesnt understand that I have headphones/speakers plugged in via the green jack and not the ATAPI black hd jack or whatever it's talking about?

SOLUTION:

Seems like there's all kinds of a different driver issues on 7.
Luckily they're all remedied quite easily:

On the installer for the drivers (try to get vista atleast, if not then XP), do this:

1. Right click it
2. Choose Properties
3. Click the Compatability tab
4. Check the box
5. Choose Windows Vista RTM

If it still doesn't work do the same but instead of Windows Vista RTM choose Windows XP

variant on