As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Would You Hire Me? - Tattoos and Piercings in the Workplace

Mr PinkMr Pink I got catsfor youRegistered User regular
edited June 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Last semester, I completed a research project that was designed to discover if college students held a 'bias' towards hiring a person with tattoos, piercings, or other 'deviant' behavior. Participants were asked to take on the role of a hiring manager for a prominent company, and given a set of potential employees, each with a picture.

Each employee set was presented in two, with one being a 'deviant' and the other being 'normal'. For the first run of the test, both applicants had the same qualifications. In the second run, one client had obviously better qualifications. The better applicant varied between the deviant and the normal.

The results we found were basically what we expected. The younger the person participating in the experiment, the more likely they were to ignore the physical appearance and go for qualifications. However, there were enough exceptions to that conclusion that it seems to be more of a personal bias than an age one. Also, we could only complete the experiment at my college, which is located in Georgia, so I'm sure that influenced it as well.

So what do you guys think? Is there as much of a bias in the workplace against body art now as there was twenty years ago? Is it disrespectful to not look 'professional' at a job? Does anyone even still care what color your hair is?

Mr Pink on

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's definitely less of a bias nowadays, but it's still dependent on the job. I think a lot of it comes down to "if this person were to be at a professional event, would their body modification draw attention away from their purpose at the event? If they were presenting something, would the audience hear their words, or gawk at their giant neck tattoo and distended earlobes?"

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There's definitely less, but it's also highly dependent on the job and who that job caters to.

Quid on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know I have a preconceived notion of professionalism which becomes very important to me under certain circumstances. The best example I can think of is when I was getting my Roaccutane prescription filled at the chemist - the girl attending the counter was chewing gum and talked with a very teenage drawl.

This is incredibly unsettling when you think this person might be responsible for handling medications with potentially serious side-effects. I was relieved, when the actual script was handled by an old guy in a white coat who I physically saw.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know I have a preconceived notion of professionalism which becomes very important to me under certain circumstances. The best example I can think of is when I was getting my Roaccutane prescription filled at the chemist - the girl attending the counter was chewing gum and talked with a very teenage drawl.

This is incredibly unsettling when you think this person might be responsible for handling medications with potentially serious side-effects. I was relieved, when the actual script was handled by an old guy in a white coat who I physically saw.

Do you think if she had a lip ring, but not the drawl or gum, that you would have been as upset?

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I agree that it completely depends on the job. Especially the amount of contact the person will have with the public and the public image that the company is trying to project.

Want to be a sales rep for a big respectable company? No visible tattoos or piercings (other than earlobes for females)

Want to be an IT guy that never interacts with customers in a company that doesn't have customers wandering through on a daily basis? Probably doesn't matter.

Want to be a sales rep for a company trying build a rep as being cutting edge and in touch with youth? Won't matter at all and in fact might be a plus to have some small, tasteful tattoos or piercings.

Want to be hired to sell temporary body art and body jewelry at concerts or a similar venue? Probably required.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Mr Pink wrote: »

Do you think if she had a lip ring, but not the drawl or gum, that you would have been as upset?
    Well I can't know till I encounter it, but I would say no. In fact it is difficult to imagine major tattoo work would've bothered me either. But like I said, can't know till I encounter it.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It depends upon the job to some extent and how one presents oneself. If you show them it's just part of your personality and that you know what the hell you're doing with respect to the position, they won't care. Hell, they probably won't care anyway. Anecdotal: I've been dying my hair dark non-standard colours for a few years now, and attained employment just fine. Plus, you can still incorporate elements of professional attire around whatever body modification you happen to have and I believe there are a number of clothing lines specifically for non-standard-wear-for-the-office-worker.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If they have good pieces instead of this painted aluminium shit then yeah.

I have a friend who has this "lever" made of copper that can flush the sinuses out. When he explains(or demonstrates(not at workthankgod)) what it does everyone's pretty impressed.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

I have a friend who has this "lever" made of copper that can flush the sinuses out. When he explains(or demonstrates(not at workthankgod)) what it does everyone's pretty impressed.
    Is impressed really the word you're looking for?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    It depends upon the job to some extent and how one presents oneself. If you show them it's just part of your personality and that you know what the hell you're doing with respect to the position, they won't care. Hell, they probably won't care anyway. Anecdotal: I've been dying my hair dark non-standard colours for a few years now, and attained employment just fine.

I'm not sure I understood you correctly, but if I did, fuck no.
    A tattoo or a piercing is an accessory and I do not consider it part of said person's personality. If you show me you're detached of your outside looks while in a professional environment and are suitable for the job, I'd have no problem hiring you. Unless there is a very specific disadvantage outside of HR's control(a specific niche clientele with prejudices etc), any unusual(they are still unusual) fashion accessory, obsessive gesture or other behavioral quirk that shows up at an interview will give a slight disadvantage for the interviewee, but nothing more.

Edit: impressed(n.) - grossed out of their mind.

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

D:

That's pretty...unique.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yea, it really depends on the job and who you interact with. Lots of companies have decision makers that are old white dudes, and they don't usually take to things like that. The first impression is all that matters really, in my job we interact with our customers a lot before they might ever see us, so by the time they do they know we are very good at what we do, in a case like that I'd guess you're probably fine.

As the current generation starts to become the decision makers it will go away, of course other things they don't want to see in the workplace will come up I'm sure.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Is impressed really the word you're looking for?

Shocked, then moderately bemused by the practical applications of such a thing.

Proud supporter of the Atlas diet, can hold his breath underwater for about three minutes.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Depends on the tattoo and who is hiring. I've actually received a few pings of interest due to my tattoos, which are a bunch of math formulas and very geeky.

I think with younger people, tattoos in and of themselves are not the issue, but what the tattoos represent. Tattoos are a statement of things that are important to a person and if the person has some tattoos that indicate that the thing that is very important to them is also the same thing they will be doing in their job, it becomes a positive.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Depends on the tattoo and who is hiring. I've actually received a few pings of interest due to my tattoos, which are a bunch of math formulas and very geeky.

I think with younger people, tattoos in and of themselves are not the issue, but what the tattoos represent. Tattoos are a statement of things that are important to a person and if the person has some tattoos that indicate that the thing that is very important to them is also the same thing they will be doing in their job, it becomes a positive.

So you're saying my full back tattoo of a CMS 1500 HCFA is a plus? Excellent.

I expect that joke to be gotten by very few people, but I'm still proud of it.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have a very prominent tattoo on my left forearm, and I was just hired to teach at one of the best public schools in the country.

No one has ever even mentioned it. I've honestly been surprised by this.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    pismo no homopismo no homo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have a very prominent tattoo on my left forearm, and I was just hired to teach at one of the best public schools in the country.

uc berkeley?

pismo no homo on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Add me to the list of people teaching college with visible body modifications. I have, as far as most people can see, lots of tattoos, 5/8" earlobes, and a 2 gauge septum.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

What do you teach?
    That is surprising, but in a way the kids might be able to relate to you as a normal guy who's not that different to them. I can understand however how some schools don't want their teachers to have visible tattoos, parents may not approve.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Princeton has a tenured professor with a dragondong.

I didn't know what I was clicking on but wow.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Facial piercings will give me a double take as I think they're unprofessional in the workplace, unless you work at Hot Topic . This is coming from a guy that once had a variety below the next piercings :winky:

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have an eyebrow ring.

If when attending an interview (or even when picking an application up) if I forget to remove the piercing, I know I will not get the job.

=/

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    For my personal experiences, I have an eyebrow and lip piercing, as well as earrings and a visible tattoo that takes up my upper right arm (I'm a male, btw). However, since I work in the journalism and media design fields, I have a feeling it doesn't matter as I'm seen as the 'art guy'.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    For my personal experiences, I have an eyebrow and lip piercing, as well as earrings and a visible tattoo that takes up my upper right arm (I'm a male, btw). However, since I work in the journalism and media design fields, I have a feeling it doesn't matter as I'm seen as the 'art guy'.

Exactly, in media, arts and fashion careers I think tattoos are seen as an expression and can often be seen as a talking point, sometimes a positive thing.
    I think gender may play a part, if a male and female had the same tattoo I think the female would have a harder time getting a job. Some people see tattoos as vulgar and therefore much worse for a girl to have, on a guy they can sometimes be seen as a masculine thing and not necessarily bad.

As a female and a florist having a visible tattoo would not bode well for my career as floristry can be seen as a very traditional trade. Customers talking to me about funeral flowers may not have the greatest confidence in me if had a tattoo on my forearm. The field of work and ability to "wear" a tattoo is important - some people I think can naturally wear a tattoo and not have it effect their daily life due to their confidence/charisma.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    While I think folks with visible modifications need to work a little harder than their vanilla counterparts, I've never run in to trouble getting a job, even with large stretched earlobes and a septum piercing. Although, I have worn a plug in my septum since for a while now since 2 gauge captives and circulars are bulky and look silly.

Also, depending on the field, having a graduate degree can make your contributions valuable enough that it simply doesn't matter what you choose to do your body.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    While I think folks with visible modifications need to work a little harder than their vanilla counterparts, I've never run in to trouble getting a job, even with large stretched earlobes and a septum piercing. Although, I have worn a plug in my septum since for a while now since 2 gauge captives and circulars are bulky and look silly.

From a dating perspective I never found septum piercings attactive on a girl. Monroe, now that's a hot facial piercing along with lip IMHO.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm not a woman, but I have been contemplating a monroe piercing for a couple of years now.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Liiya wrote: »

Exactly, in media, arts and fashion careers I think tattoos are seen as an expression and can often be seen as a talking point, sometimes a positive thing.
    I think gender may play a part, if a male and female had the same tattoo I think the female would have a harder time getting a job. Some people see tattoos as vulgar and therefore much worse for a girl to have, on a guy they can sometimes be seen as a masculine thing and not necessarily bad.

As a female and a florist having a visible tattoo would not bode well for my career as floristry can be seen as a very traditional trade. Customers talking to me about funeral flowers may not have the greatest confidence in me if had a tattoo on my forearm. The field of work and ability to "wear" a tattoo is important - some people I think can naturally wear a tattoo and not have it effect their daily life due to their confidence/charisma.

On the other hand, men are supposed to present themselves in a very reserved fashion, with dark suits being the standard, so the bright colors of tattoos, hair dye, or even a garish tie can be a major turn-of.

Honestly, were I in management, I'd try to discourage loud anything, with black or natural color piercings being favoured.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    rosiethornrosiethorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I worked in HR for a while, and in large part it depends on the company and the job. A graphic designer (for example) is more likely to find a job while tattooed/pierced/whatever than an accountant. I usually advice folks to be mostly true to themselves in the interview. If you're going to wear a nose ring on the job, wear one to the interview. Just pick your most conservative model. Most US states don't have any protection for that sort of thing (as long as it's not a religious requirement type thing) so if you're going to wear it it's best to let everyone involved know right away.

rosiethorn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

On the other hand, men are supposed to present themselves in a very reserved fashion, with dark suits being the standard, so the bright colors of tattoos, hair dye, or even a garish tie can be a major turn-of.

Honestly, were I in management, I'd try to discourage loud anything, with black or natural color piercings being favoured.

True, employers may seem conservative and traditional in an interview then once you get to know them you can be more relaxed later. If you stick to a more natural look for an office/non-art-related job like you say you'll probably be safer in case they aren't or until you know what the standard is.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm not a woman, but I have been contemplating a monroe piercing for a couple of years now.

As a guy I suggest against it as it's a feminine piercing. It'd be up there with having your belly button pierced.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm incredibly feminine. Also, you seem to have some shitty ideas about why people get piercings, so I'm not sure you're opinion is worth too much.

You know, since I only get piercings to get dates anyway...

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SequoiaSequoia Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know a guy with a belly button piercing. He is a 6'3" MMA light heavyweight. It doesn't look feminine.

Sequoia on
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, and it probably isn't as distracting as a tramp stamp for when he is getting railed in the ass.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    ShadowrunnerShadowrunner Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It depends a lot on where you work (or want to work). I work as a software developer, and I've never gotten any grief over my piercings and tattoos. On the other hand, my wife teaches high school, and they have a pretty strict dress code.

Shadowrunner on
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cool avatar - been a long time since I've seen that fellow.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kistra wrote: »
    I agree that it completely depends on the job. Especially the amount of contact the person will have with the public and the public image that the company is trying to project.

Want to be a sales rep for a big respectable company? No visible tattoos or piercings (other than earlobes for females)

Want to be an IT guy that never interacts with customers in a company that doesn't have customers wandering through on a daily basis? Probably doesn't matter.

Want to be a sales rep for a company trying build a rep as being cutting edge and in touch with youth? Won't matter at all and in fact might be a plus to have some small, tasteful tattoos or piercings.

Want to be hired to sell temporary body art and body jewelry at concerts or a similar venue? Probably required.

I agree wholeheartedly.

That said, in my experience, most workplaces hold people to a standard that is much higher than necessary.

I'll give you an example: two offices, same company, about 20 miles away from each other. At office 1, the receptionist had visible tattoos (along her neck, upper back, and shoulders). It was common for jeans to be worn during the week (as long as they weren't frayed or torn) and if somebody was coming in for a half-day, it wasn't that unusual for them to come in in a T-shirt and sneakers too - as long as the t-shirt didn't have any printed text on it and the sneaker were in good condition.

At office 2, t-shirts were never allowed except underneath button-down shirts. Jeans were acceptable only on Fridays. Sneakers were never acceptable. While there was no specific policy regarding tattoos or piercings, nobody who worked in that office had any visible tattoos or non-ear piercings.

What was the difference? Was one a sales office and the other back-end administration? Did one service a different clientele? No, not really, on any account. They both had occasional client visits.

At office 1, the office manager would make sure the employees there knew when a client visit was scheduled and expected that employees would dress appropriately on those days. If they didn't, they were suitably and swiftly reprimanded.

At office 2, the office manager didn't bother. She didn't want to concern herself with when clients were in the office and when they weren't, so her policy was that employees were always expected to dress as though clients were present.

The office manager's laziness basically meant that dozens of employees were inconvenienced.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Depends on the tattoo. If it's on the wrist or hands then I think you're probably an idiot for getting it. Same goes for any kind of webbing that crawls up the neck and/or goes onto the face. I have no problem with people getting whatever tattoo they want, but when you decide to get a "TOUGH GUY!" tattoo or a prison tat, you have to accept that they're largely unacceptable depending on the content. Same goes for visible prison tats that have names or numbers on them, double so if it's just text in some stupid ye olde english font.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I work as a manager in a grocery store, but I spent 11 years before that at Gamestop. 8 years of that was in management, which made me responsible for hiring.. and I won't lie, I was a dick about personal appearance. Weird thing was.. I couldn't care less about ink. Piercings were something else, though. I generally didn't mind the ear, or the tongue. Honestly, our dress code required that all visible piercings aside from the ear or tongue be removed for work, and I have always expected people who interview with me to dress at least one step above the company dress code (that is, if code is polo and khakis, wear a tie. If dress code calls for a shirt and tie, wear a suit jacket or vest).

In the grocery store, things are different. I don't do any of the hiring, and our HR manager himself has long scruffy hair, and visible piercings.. he's not nearly so picky.

I just am a picky bastard. I don't know why. I was just always raised to give a great first impression, dress up, and know what my potential employer expects. Weirdly, I'm also annoyed at the dress code at most retailers. There's no reason that I need to wear a shirt and tie, even if I'm a manager, because I work at a grocery store. I think it's more envy, though... many retailers have been switching to a casual dress code (which feels like it was started at book stores), and I'm looking forward to most others following suit soon enough.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Interestingly, I see far more visible body mods working in Financial Services than I did working coffee shops. Hell, one of the Broker Liaison guys (which is a sales job, fundamentally. You get a liaison when your insurance premiums are in the high six or seven figures, lots of "face time" with clients, their job is to ideally keep them happy or tell them like it is if they're not going to be.) has a facial tattoo.

japan on