As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Indie Games Thread: March 9th - See OP for massive updating

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Clearly this means I need to throw La Mulana right the fuck out of this thread for SELLING OUT.

... those screens look delicious.

Henroid on
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hmm I guess I'll contribute some games I've found in my searches that isn't already in this thread. I'm too lazy to do links and you can just google them anyway.

> Prospector : A sci game sort of like an ascii Starflight. You land on planets and find minerals and stuff to scan. Goal is to make 100k credits. Ship and captain are upgradable and your crew levels up. Its hard and you'll die a lot.

> Triangle Wizard: You are a triangle that shoots magical particles and navigates a maze. It actually has graphics sort of but they are pretty spare. Very large spell selection. Lots of aoes and summons and beams and whatnot. Levels except for boss battles are randomized so its basically a roguelike.

> GearHead 1&2: Roguelike mecha game. Gearhead 1 is on earth and 2 is in space. Heavily inspired by robotech I think. Story is randomly generated for each game. Lot of customization options for your character and your mech. You start out with a really scrub mech and it takes forever until you can buy better ones. Make sure you get the graphical version.

DoomRL: Its id's doom... as a roguelike. Its overhead. You shoot demons. You die a lot. What more can I say? Its really fun.

IVAN: Really hard graphical roguelike. Your groin can be torn off by a spiderweb. There are exploding suicide dwarves in rooms full of landmines. Writer has strange obsession with bananas.

Steamband: Angband using steampunk technology. Pure ascii. If you want to fire laser beams at morlocks and dinosaurs while wearing a tophat this is the game for you. It is ridiculously hard. Its my favorite angband variant.

Liberal Crime Squad: Made by the guy who made Dwarf Fortess. You organize a radical liberal political group to terrorize republicans and save the country from "facists" (read republicans). All kinds of weird stuff you can do, such as rescuing immigrant workers and torturing radio talk show hosts. It is really easy to die if you get into combat (which may never happen if you're smart). There is a higher fan-updated version than what is on the main site, but I don't know where it is offhand. The version I have is 3.18.0.

Decker: A fun little graphical semi-roguelike where you are a hacker in the Shadowrun Matrix. Neo does not make an appearance because its not that Matrix! Your goal is to make a bunch of money hacking into systems to steal/alter data or switch stuff on/off. It is also really hard.

Unreal world: A semigraphical roguelike where you survive in the finnish wasteland. If you ever wanted to die from a squirrel biting your neck off this is the game for you. If you manage to live long enough to obtain a steady supply of food you can build houses and stuff. Have to pay if you want to play for more than a few in game days so that is kind of meh.

All the spiderweb software games: There are a bunch of non-roguelike RPGs from spiderweb software that are really good. Graphics are kind of bad, but the gameplay is tactical and the writing is pretty good. My favorite is the geneforge series. While they are independent the games are not free. If you have a hankering for oldschool CRPGs you should visit these guys. All of the games have demos with a limited area within the game you can visit.

Notrium: An overhead graphical realtime game where your spaceship has crashed onto an alien planet. You find a lot of wreckage that you can combine together to make neat stuff out of. You can die from heat and cold. Another really hard game. It plays like smash tv only with survival and exploration elements and a lot less enemies on screen at once. There are several different characters you can play as who all play very differently.

I would check out these games before you add them as some of them may not meet quality requirements.
    Out of these my favorites are probably Gearhead 2, Steamband, and Geneforge.

vhzod on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Decker is a lot of fun, they were working on a new java version I believe, but I think it died around 80% done as the dev disappeared.

Trick to decker is to build up your stealth first, because at low levels combat will shred you.

I should try gearhead again, I gave it a shot a few years ago and it would just crash shortly after getting started.

Morkath on
  • Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow...just wow. I really did not expect La-Mulana to get the Wiiware treatment.

Spiderweb Software released the old game Blades of Exile as open-source, so that particular game is free to download. It's horribly buggy, though.

Gearhead 2 is currently looking for mecha and character artists to help revamp the graphical portion of the game, especially those who are fans of 80's Sunrise anime.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm wondering how the music / sounds will be handled in the Wiiware La Mulana release.

Edit - By the way I WILL update the thread tonight at some point, job search kept me busy and then I started fucking around in WoW but I'll get it done!

Henroid on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    La Mulana was meant to look and sound like an MSX game, though, and I thought that was one of the more endearing qualities.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    La Mulana was meant to look and sound like an MSX game, though, and I thought that was one of the more endearing qualities.

They'll probably have a mode to see the game as it originally is.

Henroid on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Holy shit La Mulana on WiiWare... that's crazy. Even having played through it twice i'm still probably going to pick it up.

Aistan on
  • Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

Yeah, Cave Story is gonna have the same thing, and it's being ported by the same guys, so the chances of being able to play it in it's original form are pretty high.

Only problem I can see are the MSX ROMs, really.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [strike]gearhead seems to be domain squatted, all the pages that seem to have anything to do with it lead to random crap stores.[/strike]

edit:
    This may be me, i will get back to you after a system scan.

e2: yeah was me, fixed it and it's working now. Threw me off because only a few sites were being affected.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sollah wrote: »

Yeah, Cave Story is gonna have the same thing, and it's being ported by the same guys, so the chances of being able to play it in it's original form are pretty high.

Only problem I can see are the MSX ROMs, really.

What do you mean the MSX ROMs? You mean like, are people going to be finicky about their games being named in La Mulana?

Henroid on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You can unlock and play those games too, if I remember right

They'll most likely be replaced with other games

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    gearhead seems to be domain squatted, all the pages that seem to have anything to do with it lead to random crap stores.

Really? A simple google search shows the game's homepage just fine:

http://www.gearheadrpg.com/

----

I hope the MSX stuff stays in for the Wii port of La-Mulana. I'm having trouble remembering: did it use the actual names of MSX games or just fake names?

[Edit]

Wait, what? The games you find in La-Mulana are actually playable?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Skulkraken wrote: »
    gearhead seems to be domain squatted, all the pages that seem to have anything to do with it lead to random crap stores.

----

I hope the MSX stuff stays in for the Wii port of La-Mulana. I'm having trouble remembering: did it use the actual names of MSX games or just fake names?

I don't know if 'Hockey' was an MSX game (it probably was), but IIRC they sound pretty generic and fake.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [Edit]

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

I had to double check on this but no, you can't. I mean first of all it'd be illegal as shit. :P

But there are certain ROM combinations that let you play mini-games based on a couple of them. And I think in both you get other ROMs unlocked, for completionists' sake.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

----

[Edit]

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Don't know what translation you had, but the MSX cartridges you get in the game are actually real MSX games - things like Snatcher and all. Apart from Castlevania, which was the translator's translation for "Vampire Killer".

And no, you can't play the cartridges themselves, though combining cartridges can give you bonuses, and some combinations actually got games you can play, as in a Parodiu clone and a dating sim
    actually a Snatcher parody.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

----

I don't know if 'Hockey' was an MSX game (it probably was), but IIRC they sound pretty generic and fake.

Nah, they used actual names. Yie Ar Kung Fu, Twinbee, Castlevania, Contra, Metal Gear and Time Pilot are just some of the more popular examples. They all seem to be Konami titles though.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    Lly wrote: »
    The underside released a new demo recently. It's very reminiscent of cave story (to the extent of being labelled a ripoff for ages) but it is brilliant fun.

http://www.insignificantstudios.com/preview.php

The Underside is better than Cave Story.

Maybe if it wasn't so inherently lethal. 100 damage spikes are absurd, especially for little tiny pits.

I rescued the mayor and I'm back in town, but I can't figure out where to go from there. Can you go anywhere?

Cave Story has 100 damage spikes...Hell is like 80% spikes that kill you instantly.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

----

[Edit]

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

double weird, if I close my browser and do the search everything is fine, if I go to the PA site first then my clicks in google get fubar'd.

Hmm time to do a full scan.

Morkath on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The underside released a new demo recently. It's very reminiscent of cave story (to the extent of being labelled a ripoff for ages) but it is brilliant fun.

Maybe if it wasn't so inherently lethal. 100 damage spikes are absurd, especially for little tiny pits.

I rescued the mayor and I'm back in town, but I can't figure out where to go from there. Can you go anywhere?

Cave Story has 100 damage spikes...Hell is like 80% spikes that kill you instantly.

But that's Hell. Outside of the endgame, making a single slip-up shouldn't be quite so lethal. You're already limited enough in health that 8 damage or so would be a reasonable reason to be careful.

jothki on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

But that's Hell. Outside of the endgame, making a single slip-up shouldn't be quite so lethal. You're already limited enough in health that 8 damage or so would be a reasonable reason to be careful.

Remember that starting cave, where you have to go and get the gun? Yeah. Insta-kill spikes there too, within a minute or so of starting the game.

Frem on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Frem wrote: »

Remember that starting cave, where you have to go and get the gun? Yeah. Insta-kill spikes there too, within a minute or so of starting the game.

That is one of my fondest memories of Cave Story. Boot up, save, exit starting area, walk left, bungle the jump, die instantly. The game's very first hazard killed me instantly. I knew I was in for a fun time.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yep; same here. So old school.

So, Spirits of Metropolis is free for the next ~14 hours on Game Giveaway of the Day. It's made by Mr. Chubigans, author of such fine classic Game Maker games as "Explodin Crapola: Helicopter Cacophony 2."

Spirits is sort of a sort of match-3 game; pulses come out of a center gem, and you change gem colors on adjacent gems to create color chains. Every third gem triggers a pulse which can start new chains on adjacent chains of other colors. The goal is to wipe out the whole board in a single pulse. It's nothing like Bejeweled or all the clones, and I sort of had fun with it.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Official website is up:

http://la-mulana.com/

Just screenshots though, but they look pretty.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    lgblgb Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    and it appears you can take a few hits before actually dying.
    You only take one hit before dying. However, there is a shield that gives you an extra hit (your ship's sprite changes from that blue-ish color to a purple when you have it).

In the powerup ring, the shield is the purple neutron thingy.

lgb on
    mmuo.gif
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sollah wrote: »
    Official website is up:

http://la-mulana.com/

Just screenshots though, but they look pretty.

Oh jesus my wii ACHES to play this game for me. Holy shit.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Never played the original but I am a fan of Cave Story so day one purchase.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    Never played the original but I am a fan of Cave Story so day one purchase.

La-Mulana is going to rape you, rape your wife, rape your mom and burn your house down.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No kidding. La Mulana beat me into submission faster than any other game i've played. I can imagine people buying it because of the new pretty graphics and then getting totally destroyed by it.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    This thread needs some more recommendations.

Anyone remember Skyroads? Anyone?
    a) It was an old DOS game.
    b) It was great.
    c) It was ridiculously hard.
    d) It's been remade as Tasty Static

tstatic3.png

tstatic8.png

You'll be seeing that second image a lot, get used to it.

I'm pretty sure this is actually a lot harder than Skyroads. There's several new types of terrain (gravity reversal? Seriously?), and the ship seems to handle a lot more loosely than in the original game. I used to be quite decent at the original, and I have trouble with anything past the first three levels in this. Extreme skillz required.

Frem on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Evacuation is a great, simple little puzzle game. You control the color-coded airlock doors of a small spaceship, trying to jettison the alien infestation while keeping the crew as safe as possible. Lose points for every crew member shot out into space, and if the captain or one of his officers die, you lose the game.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Evacuation is a great, simple little puzzle game. You control the color-coded airlock doors of a small spaceship, trying to jettison the alien infestation while keeping the crew as safe as possible. Lose points for every crew member shot out into space, and if the captain or one of his officers die, you lose the game.

Pretty sure that's actually out on the iPhone now as well. Good fun game.

And yeah, tasty static is pretty damn hard.

Lly on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Left 4k Dead is a stunningly addictive, smash-tv-esque remake of Left 4 Dead done in less than 4 kilobytes. Try to maneuver your little dude to the red escape room with the use of a flash light, a machine gun, and hope. Gets to be really tense.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm glad I actually made a search for this thread. So many great games I need to look for.

The Underside looks great, but I think it might be a bit too hectic for me.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Man, Tasty Static is hard. I'm glad each track is so short so that you're not set back too much when you die over and over and over and over...

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Guys, Seven is amazing. Wonderful 3d and I loved the controls even though some people start to hate it when they get to level 6. :P

Impersonator on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So if you run out of money on stage 7, are you just screwed?

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You can always go back to that level which has those two guys in a balloon throwing money at you and collect it. :P

Impersonator on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It said I cleared it and it wouldn't let me go back, so I just quit.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Guys, Seven is amazing. Wonderful 3d and I loved the controls even though some people start to hate it when they get to level 6. :P

I started to hate it at level 5.

Tig on