As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is my video card dying?

LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
My Asus 9800GT? I think it's probably dying.

A minute ago I was in Hammer and suddenly my entire screen started suffering from these ugly artifacts, I guess. Shit getting pixelated, looking okay once I refresh it or move the window, and then getting worse again. Otherwise the system remained totally stable, so I took a picture on my shitty webcam.
Picture24.jpg
You can see that shit is fucked up.

I also used speedfan to check the card's temperature, it was at 52, which is not high, normally it's around 70 while playin' games.

Does this just mean my card is fucked or is there some other thing that could account for it? It used to get pretty hot (like 90 degrees) when playing games (before I threw another couple of fans in my shitty case) and then the PC would sometimes just restart itself, but it's been fine since I threw those fans in.

Oh, I guess also the other day the screen flashed and I got "Display driver has stopped responding and recovered". I'm fucked, aren't I.

Specs:
Asus 9800GT 512mb
Phenom 9550
4GB DDR2
Vista 32-bit

LaCabra on

• Options
    ZercofZercof Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This almost exact same thing is happening to my HP Pavilion laptop. The screen will randomly get all pixely with weird "artifact" shapes all over the screen.

I had actually had problems getting my display to function at all, contacted HP, ran troubleshooting and determined there was a hardware problem that they needed to repair (still under warranty thankfully).
    Afterwards, I actually got my computer's display running, but this keeps happening. I'll have to either deal with it or restart from it freezing entirely almost every hour.

The error I got (I think you're referring to) is: "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Don't know what to tell you. As far as I know, its a hardware failure (most likely video card dying)

I'm running Vista 32-bit. Nvidia GeForce GO 7600. 2gig RAM.
    Comp is only 2 years old and my motherboard went out last May already. :?

I have a box "coffin" sitting in my apartment to send it in for repairs, so far I've just been dealing with the random video crashes.

Zercof on
    Zercof.png
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That's what happened when my last video card died.
    D:

Rizzi on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In the interest of science I removed a 2GB stick of RAM (leaving two 1GB sticks) and nothing untoward has happened since, but that doesn't mean anything. Shall keep ya'll updated.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    ZercofZercof Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mine started failing to boot up. Everytime it would glitch "hieroglyphics" for a second, then the screen would go blank for a few minutes, then bluescreen and reboot.

Its in the shop now. :?

Zercof on
    Zercof.png