As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CoX] In Bizarro World, Defenders Get Buffs

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2009
    Did he play on virtue?

Tube on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a difference between:

1) The game lets you do it

and

2) It's within the rules of the game

I could find a glitch that prevents me from taking damage, but just because the game lets me do it doesn't mean it's within the rules. It's an exploit, a result unintended by the creators of the game.

This prof seems to assume that just because you can do it means it's within the rules of the game.

Also I think I read that he played on Victory? I can't remember where I saw that though.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The best analogy I can think of is playing in a soccer game and repeatedly and deliberately kicking the ball out of play. Every time they reset, you get the ball and kick it back out of play. You're not helping your team because what you're doing is pointless, you're not hurting your opponents because what you're doing costs them nothing in regards to the larger game being played. All you're doing is making it harder for everyone to have fun. Now imagine you're playing this game of soccer with someone and you are unable to simply kick them off the team.

Tube on
  • Options
    RMH03RMH03 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I've decided to venture into the dark and mysterious world of MMO's, never played one before but I've always liked the look of this, but 3 quick questions before i make the lea.
    how noob friendly is it?
    would i be better off waiting for champions?
    How is the comunity?
    Any advice for someone just starting out?

RMH03 on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Very Noob friendly, though outside of PAers it can be very hit or miss.
    Virtue is where all the cool kids hang out. And people like me and Gear as well.
    (2nd largest population, official-unofficial roleplaying server)

I'm in the beta for Champions but can't play it due to shitty laptop + shitty connection so someone else will have to tell you weather it's worth waiting for or not. (I've heard it's WoW in spandex which I don't think CoX is).

Community-wise, stick with the PA channel/group and you'll be fine.

Advice: Do not roll a defender or a stalker your first time.

and re: character packs: I didn't think I'd like Magic much either from what I saw of it initially. But the costume changing emotes, cool new power and frikkin sweet capes makes it worth it.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    RMH03 wrote: »
    So I've decided to venture into the dark and mysterious world of MMO's, never played one before but I've always liked the look of this, but 3 quick questions before i make the lea.
    how noob friendly is it?
    would i be better off waiting for champions?
    How is the community?
    Any advice for someone just starting out?

Very. Especially since you can shoot any questions our way in the PA channel or ask for build advice or whatever.

In my opinion no, but this is completely subjective. Tube has had more recent experience with the game maybe he can give some better input.

Great for the most part.

Roll on the Virtue server and join the Penny Arcade channel. Do not join farm teams(anything like AE team lfm), they are boring and you will burn yourself out quickly. Talk in the channel, make your desire to team with us known and you will have a good time. Roll one villain and one hero off the bat so you can get on a team on either side. I'd suggest starting with something damage driven rather than a support character and definitely don't extensively try to solo a support character.

Damage= Masterminds(Pets/Support), Brutes(SMASH!/Armor), Stalkers(Stealthy/Melee Damage), Scrappers(High Damage Melee/Armor), Blasters(High Damage Range with a smattering of melee)
    Mix= Corruptors(Medium Ranged Damage/Support), Tankers(Best Armor/Medium Melee Damage)
    Support= Controllers(Lock Down/Support), Defenders(Support/Terrible Damage), Dominators(Lock Down/Damage)

Definitely do not roll a Defender first and in many people's opinion ever.

Also when I say support in the brackets I mean buff/debuff/heal ect and when I say Armor I mean defensive shields and typically a status protection power so you are never getting held/immobilized/slept/feared ect.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Over all it's good and noob friendly, not that there aren't assholes or that some people while helpful are sarcastic as hell but what would you expect from the PA channel? The rest of the community is pretty much the same.

While I've not played CO I've heard or seen nothing that would make me want to play it and I think the most complimentary comment someone in the beta made to me was "It was fun, but I can't see myself quitting CoX to play this."

Villains are awesome, come to the redside, roll a Brute or a Mastermind they are pimptastic. Corrs are also awesome and Doms are now more awesome (maybe? I don't know they just got a buff) Stalkers are... different but fun and frustrating.

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    I'd suggest starting with something damage driven rather than a support character and definitely don't extensively try to solo a support character.

I agree with this a million times.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Right thanks guys, I'm going for it, I'll be sure to roll on virtue and join the PA channel, I'll let you know when I'm on I guess

RMH03 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Right thanks guys, I'm going for it, I'll be sure to roll on virtue and join the PA channel, I'll let you know when I'm on I guess

Please do. We make new characters pretty often, and even if there isn't a group in your level range, we can get our sidekick on.

And don't be afraid to team with pubs. But as Gear Girl said, run away at the mention of AE farm teams.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Renzo wrote: »

Please do. We make new characters pretty often, and even if there isn't a group in your level range, we can get our sidekick on.

And don't be afraid to team with pubs. But as Gear Girl said, run away at the mention of AE farm teams.

Oh, one last thing. After you add yourself to the PA channel, make you actually add the channel text to your chat window. Otherwise you won't see a damn thing from us.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fedora wrote: »
    Narbus wrote: »
    A PhD in Trolling

It's like my grandma just discovered the internet.

I used to play city of heroes on and off for years, and I actually had a few run-in's with twixt. And I can say without a doubt he was a sociopath. Never have I seen more deliberate disregard for any and all social protocols than in that one player.

I'd heard he had written a paper detailing his "adventures" but I never actually sat down and read it until today. You can imagine my surprise when I came across him quoting one of my characters in his paper. I'm overjoyed to find out that I was the unwilling participant in an old sociopath's social experiment. A paper that is just, astoundingly deluded and reeks of the type of arrogance that only the truly mentally deranged can conjure up. So good job professor, your goal was to become an asshole.

Mission accomplished.

Just want to point out that you spurred me to read his paper- This quote struck me as wonderfully ignorant of his actually behavior:
    As a result of his teleporting tactics, Twixt was often “petitioned” by opponents with the intention of having him banned from the game. The game’s petition process offered a useful mechanism for determining what was and was not an enforceable rule of the game versus merely a socially determined rule of conduct. Using obscene language in the game’s broadcast channels, for instance, was clearly against the game’s EULA and was both a petition-able and actionable offense, regardless of any individual player’s desires or preferences. Droning, on the other hand, was equally clearly an acceptable tactic as determined both by the game design and as confirmed by lack of moderator intervention on any petitioner’s behalf.

"No one stopped me so it was totally ok!"

Arch on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nocren wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »

Oh, one last thing. After you add yourself to the PA channel, make you actually add the channel text to your chat window. Otherwise you won't see a damn thing from us.

To elaborate on this when you first get in game type /chanjoin "Penny Arcade" and hit enter and then right click on the little chat "tab" in your chat window and hit edit and move the Penny Arcade channel over to the left side otherwise you will be unable to hear us even if you are in the channel. Also I suggest right clicking the "global" tab and deleting it because it's completely redundant. You can then play around with want you want in each of your tabs and even add more tabs if you wish. If you have questions as to what any of the things you can put in the tabs are, just ask.

Also Arch you know you can delete posts if you go to edit-delete right.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    cool will do, Downlaoding through steam now, see you in an hour or so.

RMH03 on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    And hey if you make a science or technology hero join my supergroup!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Just had a thought I may not be able to join you guys as I'm in the UK, any server sugestions for this side of the pond?

RMH03 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Just had a thought I may not be able to join you guys as I'm in the UK, any server sugestions for this side of the pond?

RMH03 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Arch wrote: »
    "No one stopped me so it was totally ok!"

To be fair, they should have stopped him. Not stopping him was a tacet endorsement of his tactics.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I forgot to metion I'm in the UK which means no Virtue for me, any PAers playing here in Euroland?

RMH03 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    if you haven't bought it yet, buy the US client.

Tube on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I forgot to metion I'm in the UK which means no Virtue for me, any PAers playing here in Euroland?
    Pretty sure most of the Euro PAers just got the US version of the client so they could play on Virtue.
    Could be wrong though.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    See317, for once you are not.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yea, pretty much the only reason to go Euro is if you only speak German or French. Or you really want to get updates 6 hours sooner.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    *sigh*
    right OK I'll uninstall the game put the £10 cost down to experience downlaod the US client, wait for the thing to update again and join you guys on virtue but in the morning methinks it's 1:45am here.

RMH03 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

You can just download the US client here. Unless for some reason you do not want to.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    I feel I should mention here that everyone should listen to the Cape Radio, if for no other reason than the in-character adverts.

Lord Recluse's pet shelter advert is hilarious.
    ...ready to take on the world. And win, decisively!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    They're nice, except they've been playing the same ads for years. :\

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, it isn't like Paragon is giving the player base new organizations to advertise.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Actually what really gets me are the ads for supergroups. They probably gave them a link, like, 3.5 years ago, and they're still playing them an ad, the same ad.

Especially the Montebank Asylum one, cause the dj stutters during it and it annoys me every time.

Scooter on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i listened to the cape once for about 10 minutes and got tired of their random bullshit playlists

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You guys are making me reconcider starting WPRP again, except it went through a format change and is now WPAR.

For those of you that don't remember, I ran an online station back in the day. Except we had no advertisers and a rather small listener base. Even had a supergroup and RP storyline to go with it. (WPRP - Pirate Rock Paragon, now it would be WPAR - Powers Alegory Radio)

Of course if you can come up with a reason the call letters can be A, N, and G then we could get back in business. Metaphoricaly speaking.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Allegory New Group?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    JAEF on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Thank god somebody finally brought it up

Tube on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thank god somebody finally brought it up
    A new page brings a new day Tube. It's the law of the land. What's old is new again. Let's also talk about issue 11 and the radical changes it brings!

JAEF on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ED is gonna ruin the game, man. Ruin.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ok I'm in on virtue, created my character(a Brute) been through the tutorial, killed a few snakes reached lvl 3, so far so good. One problem through, for some reason I can't join the chat channel /chanjoin Penny arcade isn't working neither is right click chat join channel penny arcade. Am I doing something wrong or does that just mean none of you are on atm?

RMH03 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Even if no one is there you can still join the channel. However, the channel isn't added to any of your windows automatically, did you do that too?

(Right click on a tab and edit it.)

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Even if no one is there you can still join the channel. However, the channel isn't added to any of your windows automatically, did you do that too?

(Right click on a tab and edit it.)

I've tried, I assume after I've joined the chat it should show up in my list of available channels? Do I need the quotes and space? I've tried with and without both. I know I'm almost certainly doing something dumb.

RMH03 on
This discussion has been closed.