As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Playstation 3 80 GIG Backwards compatability

KwornKworn Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
Can I play any PS2 games with this PAL Scew

Kworn on

• Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No.

Moioink on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    No.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I heard there would be an update soon that would allow this to happen?

Kworn on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kworn wrote: »
    Where'd you hear this? I'd love to give GoW2 and Shadow of the Colossus a try again, as I sold my PS2 with that uncharacteristically half-decent "get a $100 toward a PS3" Gamestop sale.

Darlan on
  • Options
    IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If I'm understanding your question correctly, there was once BC in the PS3 80GB SKU. The 80GB PS3s that came with Metal Gear SOlid 4 do have limited BC in the form of Software emulation. The new 80GB PS3 have no BC at all. They also now have 2 USB ports (as opposed to 4), and no longer have the card reader.

IDDQD on
    Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    IDDQD wrote: »
    If I'm understanding your question correctly, there was once BC in the PS3 80GB SKU. The 80GB PS3s that came with Metal Gear SOlid 4 do have limited BC in the form of Software emulation. The new 80GB PS3 have no BC at all. They also now have 2 USB ports (as opposed to 4), and no longer have the card reader.

...and they still charge a high price, what a piss take

Kworn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    IDDQD wrote: »

There was never a 80GB model in Europe with backwards compatibility. Also the software emulation sucked anyway.

Moioink on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Nope. And it will likely never happen. Sony's stated excuse to take out BC was because they want people to buy PS3 games rather than PS2 games, and to cut back on costs. Sony STILL loses money on each PS3 sold. And when BC was removed, sales weren't affected in the least.

Yeah, it's best to just abandon that dream.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    tejinitejini Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Nope. And it will likely never happen. Sony's stated excuse to take out BC was because they want people to buy PS3 games rather than PS2 games, and to cut back on costs. Sony STILL loses money on each PS3 sold. And when BC was removed, sales weren't affected in the least.

Sadly this, by the time I could justify buying a PS3 my PS2 broke on the same day I brought the system home.
    I have since bought a new one but it pisses me off knowing the system can play ps3 and ps1 games but not ps2 games.

tejini on
    steam.php?id=tejini&pngimg=TVsrh&tborder=0

3ds Friend Code: 1375-7311-7639
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wonder how easy it is to find a 20 GB used these days. Did they sell those in Europe? I was an early adopter and bought that SKU. It doesn't have wireless, but it does have hardware backwards compatibility and you can easily swap out the HDD if you need more space.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    I wonder how easy it is to find a 20 GB used these days. Did they sell those in Europe? I was an early adopter and bought that SKU. It doesn't have wireless, but it does have hardware backwards compatibility and you can easily swap out the HDD if you need more space.

If all the threads I've seen are any indication, the early model PS3's have hardware problems that are starting to show up. So think twice before you lay down your cash.

tejini on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm glad I picked up a 60GB just in case.

I haven't actually used it to play any PS2 games, but it's nice to know I can if I want. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

We only ever got software BC in Europe. Sucks to be us.

Moioink on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Sony stopped selling the 20GB version less than a month after it came out, so I'm guessing tracking one down would be a HUGE pain.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    KysennaKysenna Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tejini wrote: »
    If all the threads I've seen are any indication, the early model PS3's have hardware problems that are starting to show up. So think twice before you lay down your cash.

Which threads, if you don't mind my asking? I did a search, but came up empty-handed.

Just the other day, my 20-gig PS3 decided it didn't like working with component cables anymore (S-video is strangely fine), and I'm wondering if this is something common.

Kysenna on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My 20 GB has yet to have any problems. It's been incredibly reliable.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Kysenna wrote: »

Which threads, if you don't mind my asking? I did a search, but came up empty-handed.

Just the other day, my 20-gig PS3 decided it didn't like working with component cables anymore (S-video is strangely fine), and I'm wondering if this is something common.

Well, take it as you will but I was refering to the gamefaqs and gametrailers boards. For a little while I noticed an influx of threads that mentioned a yellow light of death and said problems dealing with Sony during the repair of such problems.

tejini on

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I hate Sony so, so much. That is such a bullshit reason to take out BC. I never had a PS2 and no way in fuck am I giving Sony the satisfaction of buying one now because of their asstarded logic.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    superbergsuperberg Skokie, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I picked up a 60 GB in mid '07. So glad I did. I think removing BC was a sin.

That said, a PS3+PS2 is probably about the same as a PS3 60GB back in the day, so I guess there's that.

superberg on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BC is just software for the ps3, right? was the only reason for removing it so they can sell more ps2 units? otherwise they're not really saving any money by not installing an app they've already developed.

unless they pay royalties to someone for it?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I hate Sony so, so much. That is such a bullshit reason to take out BC. I never had a PS2 and no way in fuck am I giving Sony the satisfaction of buying one now because of their asstarded logic.

Cutting costs on a system that was (and still is) making them haemorrhage money is "asstarded logic"? :?

What a silly sense of entitlement.

Moioink on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Moioink wrote: »

Cutting costs on a system that was (and still is) making them haemorrhage money is "asstarded logic"? :?

What a silly sense of entitlement.

I was referring to the statement that they don't want people to buy PS2 games. Listen, I'm just in a bad mood, can't you humour me?

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    BC is just software for the ps3, right? was the only reason for removing it so they can sell more ps2 units? otherwise they're not really saving any money by not installing an app they've already developed.

unless they pay royalties to someone for it?

Even the software BC models have some PS2 components the (the GPU) making it a bit of a misnomer. The emulation is of the CPU (Emotion Engine) if I remember correctly.

Moioink on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    To make it even more confusing, earlier PS3s had both the PS2's GPU and CPU in them, which made for widespread and easy emulation.

Then they removed the CPU, which made them have to beef it up with hardware and even that cut down the games that worked dramatically. Finally they removed it altogether.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Glad I picked up a 60gig when I did (right before they removed the EE). It's nice to have for the very large number of ps2 games I missed.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

All what threads? You just making shit up? All I have heard is positive about release systems that used to have the BC chip in it. Hell I still have my release 60gig with chip and still no problems.

Roxtar on