As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pacific Northwest Tourism What What

GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm planning a trip with my family to the pacific northwest. We will be flying into Seattle and then at some point driving up to Vancouver. We'll be going sometime in late July for about 10 days.

We'll be renting a car so we're interested in doing things both in the cities (galleries, museums, music, shops, whatever) and outside the cities. I personally love landscape photography and hiking so any suggestions for hikes and natural attractions in the area would be much appreciated. I'm seriously open to any kind of neat experience though. Tell me your secrets people!

sierracrest.jpg
Gafoto on

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Vancouver Art Gallery has a very nice exhibit on Rembrandt and Dutch art right now. If you're into that sort of art you'd probably enjoy it.

As far as hiking, if you REALLY like hiking, I recommend the Grouse Grind.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The Grouse Grind looks like a great way to spend a morning.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Experience Music Project in Seattle is pretty sweet if you like rock music, and the sci-fi museum in the basement is sweet if you like sci-fi. Pike Place Market in Seattle is a great tourist destination. The Underground Tour (in Seattle) was funw hen I did it. If you like landscape photography maybe you'll like the Seattle sculpture garden, and/or Gasworks Park. Depending on how far you want to go, Mount St. Helens and/or Mount Rainier are beautiful places.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    you can ferry from port angeles to victoria, and from there to vancouver, there are some other routes but that's the easiest, victoria is definitely worth a trip in my opinion. Lots of good picture opportunities on the ferry and the galloping goose starts in victoria, the gg is a rails-to-trails, uh, trail. Very scenic.

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Options
    ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I personally recommend Mount Seymour for a good hike, one of my favorites.

Also, not sure if you'll be here by then but the Folk Festival starts on/around the 17th in Vancouver, I think?

Also be sure to hit up Granville Island (not actually an island) in Vancouver, I live on it and it seems to be a fat tourist attraction.

ninzorjons on
    "Be excellent to each other."
  • Options
    Matt_SMatt_S Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Some popular (but busy) hikes near Seattle:

Mt. Si
    Rattlesnake Ledge

These are busy though, so if I were you I'd be sure to get there by about 8 AM.

Matt_S on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alright, these are all great suggestions, thanks guys. Keep 'em coming.

Mount Rainer looks pretty boss, is there anywhere in particular in the park that I should visit?

Speaking of scenery, I see that there are many neat areas around Banff park, but this is quite a drive to make. Are there other good places like Lake Louise but...closer? I'm from the east coast and seeing some glaciers, lakes and snow capped mountains would be neat. I think around 4 hours is probably the limit of our driving capacity from Vancouver or Seattle.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Remember to cross the border, you NEED a passport or "enhanced" license.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gafoto wrote: »
    So I'm planning a trip with my family to the pacific northwest. We will be flying into Seattle and then at some point driving up to Vancouver. We'll be going sometime in late July for about 10 days.

We'll be renting a car so we're interested in doing things both in the cities (galleries, museums, music, shops, whatever) and outside the cities. I personally love landscape photography and hiking so any suggestions for hikes and natural attractions in the area would be much appreciated. I'm seriously open to any kind of neat experience though. Tell me your secrets people!

Let's hang out and drink overpriced cocktails downtown.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gilbert0 wrote: »
    Remember to cross the border, you NEED a passport or "enhanced" license.

Yeah, this is key to remember.

There is a lot to see and do here in Vancouver. How long are you planning on staying? Granville Island has been mentioned and is a cool place to check out. You can go on a kayak tour from there as well, though I imagine the prices are pretty crazy.

You should visit Stanley Park which also houses the Vancouver Aquarium home of legions of cute aquatic creatures (hand holding sea otters, yo) and a new baby beluga whale. The Sun Yat Sen garden is neat in a low key sort of way. You could also check out the Capilano Suspension Bridge. I've never actually gone there, but I'm going to check it out this summer.

Depending on your schedule, and if you're a football fan the CFL season is starting up, so there might be a chance to see a Canadian football game. The BC Lions are the local team and play in BC Place, which will host the opening ceremonies for the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Oh, and if you want snow I guess you could go up to Whistler. I think they Heli-ski on the glacier at Blackcomb year round. Also, Alberta is not a day trip from Vancouver! Way too far away.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Corvus wrote: »
    I think they Heli-ski on the glacier at Blackcomb year round.

Look, I don't know what that is but it sounds like I would die if I did it.

I have my passport in hand thankfully.

How difficult is it to get football tickets?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Corvus wrote: »
    I think they Heli-ski on the glacier at Blackcomb year round.

Look, I don't know what that is but it sounds like I would die if I did it.

I have my passport in hand thankfully.

How difficult is it to get football tickets?

Oh, football tickets are easy to get, and also affordable. While the dome seats 60 thousand or so, attendance is usually around half that, so the upper bowl is usually tarped off.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm gonna have to throw in a plug here for the Pike Place market.

Here's a pretty famous iconic image of the sign above the market, this cellphone picture taken by yours truly.
    photoctw.jpg

Here you'll see street musicians, people throwing fish, tons of kitschy little shops, it's basically amazing.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you can fit it in, because it is rather out of your way, catch a ferry to Port Townsend and explore the Olympic Peninsula, its very scenic and beautiful.

And Pike Place is pretty much a must.

Arrath on
  • Options
    JdNoaJdNoa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Capilano Suspension Bridge is a bit on the touristy side, and you have to pay for it... you might also consider the Lynn Canyon suspension bridge, which is free, and surrounded by lots of hiking. Either one is going to be busy in July, as will the Grouse Grind.

Also, while you're in North Vancouver (for the Grind, either bridge, or any of the other hiking up there) there's a great place to have lunch and/or dessert hidden away behind an auto mall - Thomas Haas. Middle of nowhere but will be packed because of their really tasty sandwiches and incredibly awesome chocolates and dessert pastries. I take my out of town visitors there all the time.

JdNoa on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Those chocolates look ridiculous Jd, I will be sure to visit there. I should've put restaurant suggestions in the OP but didn't think about it. My group will eat just about any kind of food and we'll certainly hit up any local gems that you guys might suggest.

The pictures of Olympic peninsula very much make me want to fit it into the trip, are there any particular hiking trails or sights that I should go see?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Upper Ho Rain Forest has some very nice hiking trails, and there are some falls around Crescent Lake that are great as well.

Arrath on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    While your in Seattle, go get lunch at Ivars on the pier. Its not THE best seafood, but its usually the cool tourist place to go. Plus the Seagulls are crazy.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Those chocolates look ridiculous Jd, I will be sure to visit there. I should've put restaurant suggestions in the OP but didn't think about it. My group will eat just about any kind of food and we'll certainly hit up any local gems that you guys might suggest.

The pictures of Olympic peninsula very much make me want to fit it into the trip, are there any particular hiking trails or sights that I should go see?

Sushi in Richmond is pretty good, and super cheap.
    $13 for all you can eat late nite (after 9 pm weekdays) and that includes sashimi

Trillian on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    Is that a particular restaurant Trill, or are you talking about places in Richmond?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Is that a particular restaurant Trill, or are you talking about places in Richmond?

Matsuyama is excellent and cheap, also a la carte.
    Richmond Sushi is also pretty good and cheap and all you can eat. The "deluxe" menu isn't worth it for $17, but the normal $13 late nite menu is ideal if you're hungry.
    Samurai Sushi on Cambie is good and huge and cheap cheap cheap!

Edit: That's Cambie in Vancouver, not Richmond. Don't get the two mixed up; they never meet. Same with Granville street (Vancouver) and Granville avenue (Richmond).

Trillian on

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mt. Ranier is spectacular. I don't know where exactly my dad and I went, but we pretty much just pulled off the road after a while and played in the snow.

Also worth checking out if you like weird things is the Freemont Troll.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If you like Greek food Stephos in Vancouver, on the corner of Davie and Burrard is a must. There are huge lines out the door every night because they don't take reservations, so go early.

Trillian on