As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Command Prompt won't enter full-screen

TaminTamin Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern
As the title states. I've been having some trouble over the past 24 hours, trying to get the cmd prompt fullscreened.

I've done some google searches, but couldn't find a fix. Things I've tried
  • hitting alt+tab - no response; some google searches mentioned a 'not supported' error message, which I don't receive.
  • accessing the properties of the shortcut in the start menu; one of the sites I found had an options tab which included things like 'fullscreen'; mine does not.
  • my properties' general tab does show a run drop-down with maximized, normal window, and minimized options. Maximized simply fills the screen vertically, and just under half of the horizontal space.
  • accessing the properties from right-clicking the title bar and changing the fonts to lucida and just increasing them until it's practically full screen is somewhat successful, but not permanent.
  • NethackW and some fiddling approximates the fullscreen, but it's usually stretched or deformed badly.

I'm on Windows XP Professional, x64.

The primary purpose of this is to play nethack. On the other hand, I simply don't like not being able to hit alt+enter and have the prompt fill the screen.

Tamin on

• bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tamin wrote: »
    my properties' general tab does show a run drop-down with maximized, normal window, and minimized options. Maximized simply fills the screen vertically, and just under half of the horizontal space.

This is the cmd maximized/full screen. If you want to cover the entire screen, go to properties, Options tab, upper right under Display Options choose Full screen.

If that does not work, go to Layout tab and adjust Width/Height under Window size.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For the first, here's what my properties window shows - accessed via [start]-[programs]-[accessories]-[cmd]

cmdpromptprop.th.jpg

The second doesn't actually make it full-screen; it simply makes the window huge.

Tamin on
  • Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm not sure about getting CMD prompt fullscreen, but you could always run DOSBox which fullscreens very nicely.

Rotting Meat on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm not sure about getting CMD prompt fullscreen, but you could always run DOSBox which fullscreens very nicely.

While writing the OP, I tried just that - it says that the version of nethack I'm using can't be run in dos mode.

Actually, lemme see if the page has a DOS download available.

Sweet, that seems to have worked. This seems completely backwards to me - using DOSbox to run a game originally written for Unix because the windows port won't properly fullscren. One more reason to buy a new HDD.

Thanks!

I would still like to know why the full-screen functionality was removed from the cmd prompt, if anyone knows.

Tamin on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    accessing the properties from right-clicking the title bar and changing the fonts to lucida and just increasing them until it's practically full screen is somewhat successful, but not permanent.

Permanence: run the prompt. Right-click the title bar, pick Defaults (not Properties). This will make your changes apply to future prompts.

Alternatively, go to your shortcut to nethack, right-click, Properties, and it should give you the options too.

As for full-screen functionality, I have no idea. Alt+enter makes it full-screen for me on XP and Vista.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ronya wrote: »
    As for full-screen functionality, I have no idea. Alt+enter makes it full-screen for me on XP and Vista.

Removed from 64 bit windows? It won't go full screen in Windows 7 RC x64 at least.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • gempgemp Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    ronya wrote: »

Removed from 64 bit windows? It won't go full screen in Windows 7 RC x64 at least.

is this fixxed yet?

gemp on