As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Digital Comics] Funny Books On Your Phones and Tablets! Check OP For Retailers

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Cross-posting my comments from the Android thread.
    Bullio wrote: »
    Question to those that have the N7 or are getting one soon: how do digital comics look on the screen? Can you read text boxes and thought bubbles without having to zoom in?

Played with Comixlogy on the Kindle Fire? In theory they should be the same as they have screens that are the same size (vaguely, the N7's screen looks slightly short and wider), but the Nexus 7's Comixology app is formatted correctly. A normal page fits the entire screen minus the software menu buttons. On the Kindle Fire, there are letterbox bars on the top and bottom of the page, meaning it's smaller on the screen. Add up the Kindle Fire's weaker pixel density, and the Nexus 7 is a better reading experience.

Here's some pictures quickly taken at work with my cell camera.

In the first one you can see the black bars on the Fire's screen.
    xGFbih.jpg

In the second, you can get a feel for what the size difference and pixel density does to the text.
    eQHnYh.jpg

That's just to give you a rough idea.

It's more the resolution on nexus 7 is better than the kindle fire.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    If you're willing to wait a bit, you might consider the Kindle Fire 2 (or one of them). Rumors are that it might be released as early as this month, with perhaps a 9 inch version coming later this fall.

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/3103/20120715/kindle-fire-2-release-date-features-hd.htm

Personally, I'm going to wait to compare the two. I was pretty much sold on the Kindle Fire until I got to see one up close and the screen resolution is just not quite there for me. I'm hoping the newer versions make the grade.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    El Guaco wrote: »
    If you're willing to wait a bit, you might consider the Kindle Fire 2 (or one of them). Rumors are that it might be released as early as this month, with perhaps a 9 inch version coming later this fall.

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/3103/20120715/kindle-fire-2-release-date-features-hd.htm

Personally, I'm going to wait to compare the two. I was pretty much sold on the Kindle Fire until I got to see one up close and the screen resolution is just not quite there for me. I'm hoping the newer versions make the grade.

Thought about it, but the only thing I'm losing is Amazon Instant Video, and I'm gaining full Android, always up-to-date. Decent enough sticking point to go with the Nexus unless Amazon pulls out some crazy talk.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I'm absolutely loving Legends of the Dark Knight at the moment, and i'm wondering why we aren't seeing something similar being done with other characters like Superman or Wonder Woman or Green Lantern?

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »
    I'm absolutely loving Legends of the Dark Knight at the moment, and i'm wondering why we aren't seeing something similar being done with other characters like Superman or Wonder Woman or Green Lantern?

I like it a lot too, and I think it's probably more of a test of the format than anything right now. If it's successful, we'll probably see more with other characters down the line. Batman's the biggest thing DC has going right now, so developing it around him originally is probably a smart move from DC.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    fun tip: if you check in with Captain Marvel on GetGlue, you can get a neat little sticker with McGuiness' cover art for free

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Fucking hell, I knew I was in trouble as soon as I saw there were 201 Batman comics on sale. Long Halloween, Dark Victory, and Return of Bruce Wayne are getting bought, but I didn't look closely to see what all is in there. Looks like a premature end to the Steam sale for me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Well, shit.

Alright, people more knowledgeable in Batman than me, what's the must gets of that sale?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    Dark Knight Returns and the Long Halloween seem like a given. I've heard good things about Gotham Central and Batman & Robin. Personally, I'll probably skip all of that and get Batman Beyond.

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    The batman beyond comic is bad from what I've seen, dkr is important but I don't like it, meanwhile I like long Halloween but the plot is horrible

• Options
    David_T wrote: »
    Well, shit.

Alright, people more knowledgeable in Batman than me, what's the must gets of that sale?

Batman #404-407 is Batman: Year One, definitely a must get if you haven't read that story

Gotham Central is really good.

Legends of the Dark Knight #1-10 is Grant Morrison's story Batman: Gothic, which is really good.

The Dark Knight Returns is, of course, a classic and a must get if you haven't read it.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Hmm...there's a Death in The Family, The Return of Bruce Wayne and Dark Victory too. Any of those worth it?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I've heard Dark Victory was good. I've never read it so I know that's on my list.

Basically it's Long Halloween part two so if you liked that...

Maximum on
  • Options
    Return of Bruce Wayne is the ending of Morrison's Bat-epic, I wouldn't recommend reading it unless you've read The Black Glove and RIP.

Dark Victory is a Jeph Loeb story.

Death in the Family is significant in the history of Batman, but it's really not a great story.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I actually have read everything up to RIP and Batman and Robin but completely skipped RoBW back then. Does it explain...
    ...how Bruce was back during Hurt's return in B&R?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    oh yeah, it explains that

plus it has Pirate Batman

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    The batman beyond comic is bad from what I've seen

It's actually pretty cool. The Hush Beyond arc was my favorite, if that's part of the sale.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    What bugged me about that beyond comic is because Terry's rogues are ignored or killed off, and future versions of Bruce's rogues are brought in.

• Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    I was hoping for a Batman sale upon release of the movie but was thinking the new 52 stuff would go along with it.

I am guessing $.99 sales are for comics older than a year?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    This week's Marvel Freebies are
    Daken: Dark Wolverine #1
    Twleve #1
    Avengers Academy #1

and last weeks, that will expire next week
    Deadpool Corps #1
    Secret Avengers #1
    Nova #1

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options

Twleve #1

Did anybody actually read the last few issues of the Twelve after it came out? How did that turn out - the usual JMS choke at the finish line?

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Twleve #1
    Avengers Academy #1

Deadpool Corps #1
    Secret Avengers #1
    Nova #1

Ugh, why does the "free comics" tab on the site not list these comics?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    They're listed on Marvel's site:

http://comicstore.marvel.com/free-comics

• Options
    Septus wrote: »
    Twleve #1
    Avengers Academy #1

Deadpool Corps #1
    Secret Avengers #1
    Nova #1

Ugh, why does the "free comics" tab on the site not list these comics?

It does, but unfortuntly it goes by release date and these were released long ago.
    Use the marvel store for better viewing of free comics
    http://comicstore.marvel.com/free-comics

• Options
    edited July 2012
    damn double post

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Black Mirror: y/n? It's the only remaining part of the Batman sale I'm trying to decide on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YES
    YES

• Options
    EH!

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    man, this comixology thing is pretty neat

but fuck paying 4 bucks for a digital one issue comic. That is insane.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Buy a $4 book at get a free digital copy!
    Note: This is an equally poor option

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    I really wonder if they'll ever back off that price point

the .99 sales are pretty awesome though

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I have no problems with waiting the extra month for them to chop the dollar off of the price of most comics. I think its pretty much just Marvel that doesn't do that consistently, but they cut the price back in waves.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    Incredible Herc sale up.

If payday is tomorrow do yourself a favor and spend thirteen bucks on some good comics.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Urgh

Weekend Sale on Incorruptible and Irredeemable. Two of the series I want most!

All of incorruptible for $30, and the first half of Irredeemable for $16. I had the first couple trades for each already, but that is a hell of a deal. Additionally, the issues of Ultimate Comics stuff that didn't come with digital codes have all been marked down to $1.99 finally, so I just spent around $75 on comixology :(

• Options
    How do the two series relate, and I'm assuming it's probably a very good idea to buy all of one of the series, or not at all?

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Marvel free stuff this week:

Ant-Man and Wasp #1
    Amazing Spider-Man #568
    Wolverine: Origins #1

• Options
    Comixology Marvel Friday Sale: Nova #1-28, 99 cents each.

Kind of bummed I picked up a bunch of those a month ago, but I can get the rest for cheaper so whoo hoo!

• Options
    Hmm, any good selection of 5-6 issues within those 28?

• Options
    Issues 2 and 3 are a pretty contained story that is really good. I haven't read much past that yet, though.

• Options
    Yeah, 2 and 3 were pretty cool. You get into Annihilation: Conquest right after that though, up to about issue 12, so don't know how "jump in friendly" that would get.

I haven't gotten past that yet so i can't comment further. But if you just wanted a taste I guess the first 3 issues is a good place to start.