As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Digital Comics] Funny Books On Your Phones and Tablets! Check OP For Retailers

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Counterpoint: you should skip GMo's x-men and go directly to Whedon's, also Mike Carey's run on adjectiveless X- Men is better than Bru's Uncanny although once Fraction takes over that book does become great too.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Counter-Counterpoint: Bale has weird opinions about Grant Morrison

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    dasnoob wrote: »
    So after literally decades of not reading comics (except for the Winter Solider, World War Hulk, Civil War, and Infinity Gauntlet trades) I got a Marvel Unlimited subscription setup. Read Amazing X-Men #1 which seems sorta kinda ok (a little hokey with the humor) and started the Infinity series which I really like. Any other suggestions?

Here is a handy Google Doc with links

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Yes
    Here's a list
    Turambar wrote: »
    That looks more complicated than it actually is since several minis are often collected in one trade

The list of trades I made for myself:

Annihilation 1
    Annihilation 2
    Annihilation 3
    Nova 1: Annihilation - Conquest
    Annihilation: Conquest 1
    Annihilation: Conquest 2
    Nova 2: Knowhere
    Nova 3: Secret Invasion
    Guardians of the Galaxy 1: Legacy
    Nova 4: Nova Corps
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2: War of Kings 1
    War of Kings
    Nova 5: War of Kings
    Guardians of the Galaxy 3: War of Kings 2
    Nova 6: Realm of Kings
    Guardians of the Galaxy 4: Realm of Kings
    Realm of Kings
    Thanos Imperative
    Annihilators
    Annihilators: Earthfall

Basically there were 2 on-goings(Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy) and 5 events(Annihilation, Annihilation - Conquest, War of Kings, Realm of Kings, Thanos Imperative)
    I think all of it is on comiXology

If that seems like a lot, you could just go for the Guardians of the Galaxy series by Bendis that started last year
    It's only up to issue 14

But I recommend you give the Annihilation books a try
    It's a really good event that sparked modern cosmic Marvel

War of Kings was a littel bit bigger, with Road to the War of Kings and War of Kings: Warriors having more materials. Also Secret Invasion: Inhumans informs one side of that and Uncanny X-Men: Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire and X-Men: Emperor Vulcan informs the other side.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Also there was a Thanos miniseries that led into Annihilation which I recommend, as it introduces a BUNCH of important stuff, like the Klyn and reintroducing Starlord.

• Options
    Oh yeah, that too. Usually I'm the one that reminds people about it :D

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Adding/seconding some of the X-Men recommendations: Uncanny X-Force (vol1) is THE Apocalypse story.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Had an odd thought arguing with a buddy ( fun argument style, nothing venomous), and we ended up wondering.

Since new sales seem to be so hard to bring in, even with the biggest comic movies ever in play, do they realize their prices are still a huge diving on point. Comics are a drug, you're supposed to hook em early for cheap, THEN get your hands into their wallet directly. FCBD by and large came and went without changing anything as usual.

Now what do you suppose would happen , if with every MCU bluray/dvd, they tossed in a code for a free month of Unlimited, a giant storehouse of comics for the new reader to dive into as they come down off their movie high. New readers are soooo needed right now, but both sides ( tho Marvel is doing a lot better at least, but still far from what it needs to) need to step it up if they truly want comics to survive.

A Bajizillion people saw Avengers, comics barely went up by 100 issues in sales, the marketting needs to adjust.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Great idea. You should e-mail or tweet that at Marvel.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    New comics bundle up at Humble Bundle. Doctor Who this time. Has anyone read any of these? Really like the show but I know nothing about the comics.

Also, free digital code for GotG #3 for anyone that wants it.
    TMM52UVUBT77

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    I grabbed that GotG code. Thanks!

Thinking about grabbing some of those to use up my $5 credit. Will see how I like that one first now.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Heh my boy came home from the school book fair with the Bendis Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol 1. Finally used my Comixology credit to buy some GoG stuff...

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Praxus1874Praxus1874 West Valley City, UTRegistered User regular
    Just thought I'd pop in and mention that there's a big Godzilla sale over at Comixology this weekend. I grabbed the first two trades of Rulers of Earth and the Legends tpb. I really like Matt Frank and his work on those series.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Also too, World War H
    Praxus1874 wrote: »
    Just thought I'd pop in and mention that there's a big Godzilla sale over at Comixology this weekend. I grabbed the first two trades of Rulers of Earth and the Legends tpb. I really like Matt Frank and his work on those series.

If they have James Stokoe's Godzilla: Half Century War, it's quite good.

• Options
    They do. You can get each issue for .99, or the whole collection for 3.99.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Image is running a Revival/Chew Sale until the 22nd. Individual issues are 99¢ but the trades vary a bit (older trades should be around that price but for the newer collections it'd be cheaper to buy the singles.)

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Should I care even a little about all the Marvel NOW! X-Men stuff Comixology has on sale if I don't care about the time-displaced younger versions of everybody, etc?

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Should I care even a little about all the Marvel NOW! X-Men stuff Comixology has on sale if I don't care about the time-displaced younger versions of everybody, etc?

Well there's also Uncanny X-Men, Cable and X-Force, Legacy and other stuff on sale as well if you wanted to look at X-stuff on sale that didn't have the original 5.

• Options
    X-Men Legacy is fantastic. No matter how you feel about Legion, you should read it.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Is the new Uncanny X-Force just as good as the last one (which I bought all on Comixology because I loved them)?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Unfortunately not. It's kind of boring, despite spending a lot of time with Fantomex and Psylocke.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    X-Men Legacy is fantastic. No matter how you feel about Legion, you should read it.

I'm quoting this since I'm only allowed to hit the agree button once. And I used to despise Legion, but that just makes the story that much more impressive, because it even broke through my Legion hate right quick.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Of the two X-Force books, Cable and X-Force was surprisingly the winner.

Neither hold a candle to Remender's run though.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Cable and X-Force was much better yeah but then the series ends in a crossover with UXF which kinda drags it down, sadly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    comiXology kicked off a 20 days of free comics promo today. Today's free issue is Detective Comics 871, the first issue of The Black Mirror.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VIZ Media is now on comiXology.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Does anyone have experience selling off digital codes on ebay? I'm thinking about selling mine for Steam money since I don't think I'll bother registering everything through Comixology but was wondering if there is anything specific people do since generally ebay prefers physical items being sold where you can flag things as shipped...

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I've noticed that most of my eBay code purchases are labeled as "Local Pickup" for shipping. I don't know what that actually changes, though.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    7th issue of The Private Eye is out at panelsyndicate.com.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    The first 15 issues of Rick Remender's awesome Captain America run are on sale all weekend on both the Marvel App and Comixology. You should get them! They've very good!

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    image sale on a bunch of their big hits
    https://www.comixology.com/Image-Best-Sellers-Sale/page/2688

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

A sale is pretty useless when you own (almost) all of them already!

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Image also matched the sale on their own digital store should you prefer DRM free versions.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    As a heads-up, the new Humble Bundle involves Transformers comics:
    https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Paging Dr. @Antimatter‌, I know that More Than Meets The Eye and Robots in Disguise are good; are the other comics in there worth reading?

• Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Comixology is doing another Submit bundle of 100 comics for $10. Looks to be a completely different selection than the last time. There's a lot of good books from a lot of great people. @‌Gustav 's first Eve of the Ozarks is part of it! As is Of Stars and Swords! And Wolves from Becky Cloonan. (Yes, I did just sort of lump Gustav and myself in with Becky Cloonan.) Seriously. It's good stuff and a hard deal to beat for a bunch of indie stuff you might not check out otherwise.

Runs through Sunday!
    https://www.comixology.com/Comixology-Submit-SDCC-2014-Bundle/bundle/763

JyrenB on
    osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    i've recently signed up for marvel unlimited (its awesome!) and been through a few series already, caught up with everything captain america related from brubaker's run and up to date with the dimension z stuff, reading through winter soldier spin off now and superior spiderman. i've smashed through the recent Infinity event, also cleared through infinity quest, thanos stuff, annihilation/conquest/gotg/war/realm/imperative too (goddamn amazing) and the new gotg run. (not as good)

are there any decent runs anyone could recommend from other series? i'm working my way through x-men from #1 as best i can so anything non x-men related would be cool. i kinda wanna get into thor since i've dismissed him for so long but i enjoyed the hell of thor 2 (but not thor 1, bad film) so i'm thinking i might check any good stories from him but i have no idea.

edit: haha i should have read the thread first.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    If you want to read Thor, definitely check out Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron, and then once you're caught up on that, go back to the 2007 Thor relaunch by JMS and read that up until it gets relaunched as The Mighty Thor by Matt Fraction.

Other runs you should check out include Invincible Iron Man by Matt Fraction, Secret Warriors by Jonathan Hickman, and Weapon X/Wolverine by Jason Aaron.

• Options
    Marvel's running another deal on Marvel Unlimited. Get a month of it for only $1 with the code SDCC14.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    As a heads-up, the new Humble Bundle involves Transformers comics:
    https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Paging Dr. Antimatter‌, I know that More Than Meets The Eye and Robots in Disguise are good; are the other comics in there worth reading?

The classic 80's series is good, if you like 80's comics.

Spotlight Volume 1 is good, but kinda not worth it without the larger context of the issues that weaves into (which don't appear to be part of this bundle)

Transformers: Autocracy and All Hail Megatron are complete shit, don't bother with them.