Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Anime Thread] ITT, we saw Thetheroo become a broken husk of a man. [via School Days]

PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
There's a One Piece thread. And because of that you can't talk about One Piece in this thread, apparently.
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=94323
Zandracon wrote: »
Summer season preview image is up. Umineko next week, woo. Also have the second series of OVA's or something for Negima sometime this summer.
005bfc57.jpg
Okay folks time for us to start talking anime. Spring's almost over so start speculating on the Summer shows I guess.

First a PSA from our lovely moderators -
Hi, I'm ElJeffe! You might know me from such mod actions as cleaning up gold-farming spam and jailing the fuck out of people. Today I'm here to talk to you about your new anime thread.

This is to be your new home for the next 100 or so pages. Here, you may discuss anime and things related to anime and whatever the fuck else people who are into anime do. Of course, hentai is beyond the scope of this thread, and anyway, what the fuck is wrong with the people who dig that shit, I mean seriously?

What you will not engage in here is retarded drama and bitching and whining. If you want retarded drama, go watch Desperate Housewives or Wife-Swap or something. This is to be a happy thread full of happy commentary. If I have to lock it for the same stupidity that raped the last incarnation, the anime thread will not be coming back.

Now FIGHT! I mean talk! Thanks to Kelor for the majority of the OP

Spring season series currently airing.

Of those we've got a number that people are following:

Saki: Big breasts, small breasts, and lesbians.

Basquash!: Giant robots playing basketball in Nikes. Basketballs are not the only thing you will see bouncing.

Sengoku Basara: Adaption of the video game series, basically Dynasty Warriors Japanese style. The crazy action anime of the season.

K-On: Slice of life series about a group of high school girls starting up a band to save the music club at their school. The catch? They can't play to save themselves.

Valkyria Chronicles: Adaption of the video game.

Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood: Remake of the series, follows the manga more closely this time around. Episodes are available for streaming here each week a couple of days after it shows in Japan.

Cross Game: Slice of Life series of a boy playing baseball. Highly recommended by a lot of people here.

Eden of the East: A man finds himself in front of the white house with no clothes, a gun and a mobile phone linked to a bank account with eight and a half billion yen on it. Again, highly recommended.

OAVs:

Spice and Wolf
Lupin
Gurren Lagann Movie (1st half)


Upcoming summer season series.

Looking to get into anime? Here are some forumer recommendations to check out or just ask in the thread and let us know what sort of theme you're after.
Giant Robots: Gunbuster
Romantic comedy: Nodame Cantabile
Slice of life/school life: Sketchbook Full Colors
Martial arts: Hajime no Ippo, Bamboo Blade
Romance drama: ef - a tale of memories
"Hard" sci-fi: Planetes
Fantasy/Sword & Sorcery: Tower of Druaga
Chen wrote: »
Action / Comedy: Great Teacher Onizuka
Slice of life / Comedy: Azumanga Daioh
Romance: Honey & Clover
Slice of life / Supernatural: Natsume Yuujinchou
Action / Supernatural: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Slicer wrote: »
Slice of Life: Honey & Clover
Comedy: Detroit Metal City
Comedy/Parody/Crazy Alternative History: Gintama
Long-running shounen fighting: Yu Yu Hakusho
Sports: Hajime no Ippo/Fighting Spirit
Mecha: 08th MS Team
redx wrote: »
Mystery/Action/Comedy: Baccano!
mystery/science fiction : Denno Coil
Real Robot: Nadesco
Magic Girl: Nanoha A's
Drama/Mystery/Psycological: Monster
Slice of Life: Ichigo Mashimaro
Horus wrote: »
What category is Skip Beat! I was thinking something of the KawaiiiSoCute~~Funnyy ~~~*!!!!=3 Category
Behemoth wrote: »
Giant robots: Gundam 08th MS Team
Comedy: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Historical fiction/action: Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto
Comedy/sci-fi/historical fiction?: Oh! Edo Rocket
Horror/mystery: Mononoke
Bad Kitty wrote: »
Fantasy: Twelve Kingdoms/Juuni Kokki
Supernatural: Mushishi
Fighting: Airmaster
Slice-of-life: Honey & Clover
Magical Girl: Shoujo Kakumei Utena (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Epic Space Opera: Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Romance (manga): Mars
Post-apocalyptic slice-of-life (manga): Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (Cafe Alpha)
Ergandar wrote: »
Action: Black Lagoon
Romance: Ouran High School Host Club
(manga): Yankee-kun to Megane-chan
Comedy: Azumanga Daioh
Dizzen wrote: »
Comedy: Potemayo
Romantic comedy: Ouran High School Host Club
Slice of life/school life: Sketchbook Full Colors
Economics drama: Spice and Wolf
Olivaw wrote: »
Comedy: Azumanga Daioh
Action: Black Lagoon
Robot: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
BEST EVER: Baccano!
OLDER THINGS YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE WATCHED YET BUT SHOULD
Samurai Champloo.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Big O.
G Gundam.
Falx wrote: »
Bounen no Xam'd: Lost Memories (Mecha/Sci-fi/Fantasy)
Kara no Kyoukai: Garden of Sinners (Action/Horror/Drama)
Kannagi (Rom-com/Drama)
Michiko to Hatchin (Action/Drama)
Minami-ke 1st and 3rd seasons, skip the 2nd one (Comedy/Slice-of-life)
Rideback (Mecha/Action)
Sketchbook ~full Color'S~ (Slice-of-life/...erm... it's good, just watch it)
To Aru Majutsu no Index (Action/Comedy)
Toradora (Rom-com/Drama)
PikaPuff wrote: »
Little Girls in an inapropriate setting (war): Strike Witches
Little Girls kissing a more little boy (also magical action): Negima
Little Girls being adorable little girls + 1 fucking bitch (slice of life): Straberry Marshmellow
Must watch for fans of Harem Anime (Drama): School Days
Magical Gril Drama (Not Anime): Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon
I love fapping to h-games that I skip the story, but the story was pretty good and I want to know what happened: Clannad+Clannad After Story, Kannon, or Air
OtakuD00D wrote: »
Giant Robots with charm, space bugs, a perfect ending and great animation: Gunbuster
Giant Robots with music and love triangles and missile spam: Macross
FABULOUS with giant robots: Code Geass
Giant Robots with PIERCE THE HEAVENS: Gurren Lagann
I AM GUNDAM: Gundam 00.
Slice of life (The only entry I'll ever put on), charming cast of characters: Azumanga Daioh
Sheer hilarity and randomness: Pani Poni Dash!
Code Geass <--- I don't know how to categorize this. Mechs doesn't do it justice, but neither does drama.
Mech: GaoGaiGar
Comedy: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
You Will Cry Like a Little Girl: Air
CyborgZeta wrote: »
Mech/Romance - Eureka Seven
Comedy - Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
Action - Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo
Super Robot - GaoGaiGar
Mystery/Horror - Ghost Hunt
Additional - Overman King Gainer
I would like to add Akagi and Kaiji to the list of recommendations.
Kelor wrote: »
Best sport series: Hajime no Ippo
Slice of Life: Honey & Clover
Comedy: Detroit Metal City
Giant Robots: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
The odd one out pick? Let's Bible.
Sex starved Croatian fisherboy punches the female reincarnation of Jesus Christ unconscious so he can lose his virginity, ends up fighting the banjo wielding son of Lucifer, Santo.
Frosteey wrote: »
For lack of anyone else recommending it-The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Way better than Air-Kanon: Kyon in the snow (Less chin version)
Shipping delight without a proper ending-School Rumble
Board games with pretty good music-Hikaru no Go
Polearms!-Moribito
Kuwabara playing basketball-Slam Dunk

One more thing :
The majority of us really love One Piece. SO much in fact that it may dominate conversation from time to time.
With that in mind here are some totally non biased topics of discussion -
One Piece and how it is awesome.
Haruhi Vs Scott Pilgrim
The best One Piece Crew member.
Baccano! : God they've been on this train for a while now.
Xenogears of Bore and his slow climb to being current in One Piece.
Buggy the Clown - Best villian ever.
Naruto- The fuck ?!
Spectrum wrote: »
Chen wrote: »
I prefer Omni's blog for almost everything, except for those series which he doesn't blog and I have to indeed wander over to Aroduc and others for.

jCyyTSo.png
PikaPuff on
«13456763

Posts

  • SpectrumSpectrum Super High-School Level ??? Hope's Peak AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Heyhey, we've got a few people watching Saki now!

    ...I think I'm still the only one watching Tears to Tiara, though. :lol:
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Two close sisters go to school in Tokyo.

    A young girl finds love and enjoyment for her Craft while uncovering a conspiracy.

    A young man fights to protect his island paradise home in a giant robot.
    These three are still unsolved. I'll add more clues in later if necessary.

    Middle one could be Witch Hunter Robin, I suppose. Not how I'd describe it.
    Yeah, Witch Hunter Robin. I wasn't entirely sure how I wanted to describe it without making it too easy.

    Spectrum on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Huh, just learned that there were three short manga chapters released with Mirai Fukuin. They're short, Shiki takes care of a cat, other little stories.
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Heyhey, we've got a few people watching Saki now!

    ...I think I'm still the only one watching Tears to Tiara, though. :lol:
    I've been catching up with it, though, the mid season laziness set in and I kind of forgot to continue watching.

    Zandracon on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I want to watch saki. The big breasts are a turn off tho. But the majhong is interesting, like death note writing.

    PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    pikapuff is in charge of thread titles? this should be interesting.

    tallgeeze on
  • ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Heyhey, we've got a few people watching Saki now!

    ...I think I'm still the only one watching Tears to Tiara, though. :lol:

    Man, I've been watching Saki since the beginning.

    Where have you been? :P

    Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • SpectrumSpectrum Super High-School Level ??? Hope's Peak AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ergandar wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Heyhey, we've got a few people watching Saki now!

    ...I think I'm still the only one watching Tears to Tiara, though. :lol:

    Man, I've been watching Saki since the beginning.

    Where have you been? :P
    Man, if you've been watching Saki, why haven't you gotten the OP changed to get it listed? =p

    Spectrum on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Basquash really dropped off a cliff this week. Wow that was awful.

    deadonthestreet on
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Basquash really dropped off a cliff this week. Wow that was awful.

    I haven't watched it yet, but I imagine it would go way downhill after the staff switch up.

    tallgeeze on
  • QuentinQuentin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Two close sisters go to school in Tokyo.

    A young girl finds love and enjoyment for her Craft while uncovering a conspiracy.

    A young man fights to protect his island paradise home in a giant robot.
    These three are still unsolved. I'll add more clues in later if necessary.

    Middle one could be Witch Hunter Robin, I suppose. Not how I'd describe it.

    Last one is Soukyuu no Fafner.

    Quentin on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle If only. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So apparently there's another Death Note anime? That tells the story from a different perspective. Is it good at all? Or necessary?

    I'm still a little boggled that there's a redone Fullmetal Alchemist out. Then again, considering the rampant popularity of Fullmetal Alchemist and the struggling nature of the anime industry, I probably shouldn't be.

    cloudeagle on
    3DS: 0344-9335-6762
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thread title pleases me.

    Godfather on
    0WBv0.png
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So apparently there's another Death Note anime? That tells the story from a different perspective. Is it good at all? Or necessary?

    I'm still a little boggled that there's a redone Fullmetal Alchemist out. Then again, considering the rampant popularity of Fullmetal Alchemist and the struggling nature of the anime industry, I probably shouldn't be.

    I haven't heard a thing about a new Death Note anime. Wouldn't make too much sense though, as unlike FMA the Death Note anime was pretty accurate in following the manga.

    There have been the live action movies though.

    Slicer on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle If only. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So apparently there's another Death Note anime? That tells the story from a different perspective. Is it good at all? Or necessary?

    I'm still a little boggled that there's a redone Fullmetal Alchemist out. Then again, considering the rampant popularity of Fullmetal Alchemist and the struggling nature of the anime industry, I probably shouldn't be.

    I haven't heard a thing about a new Death Note anime. Wouldn't make too much sense though, as unlike FMA the Death Note anime was pretty accurate in following the manga.

    There have been the live action movies though.

    I put it in my Netflix queue a couple weeks ago.

    http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Death_Note_Re-light_Visions_of_God/70119972?trkid=226871
    From death god Ryuk's fascinating point of view, follow superintelligent high school student Light as he tries to evade genius Det. L and vanquish evil criminals with the Death Note, a powerful book that kills anyone whose name is written inside it. Featuring brand-new dialogue, music and scenes, this exhilarating redux offers fans of the popular anime series a fresh and exciting take on familiar events.

    So.... buh?

    cloudeagle on
    3DS: 0344-9335-6762
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I might actually watch that.

    I skipped out on the first one completely, but just the idea of seeing the situation through a shinigami's eyes is interesting.

    Godfather on
    0WBv0.png
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Slicer wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So apparently there's another Death Note anime? That tells the story from a different perspective. Is it good at all? Or necessary?

    I'm still a little boggled that there's a redone Fullmetal Alchemist out. Then again, considering the rampant popularity of Fullmetal Alchemist and the struggling nature of the anime industry, I probably shouldn't be.

    I haven't heard a thing about a new Death Note anime. Wouldn't make too much sense though, as unlike FMA the Death Note anime was pretty accurate in following the manga.

    There have been the live action movies though.

    I put it in my Netflix queue a couple weeks ago.

    http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Death_Note_Re-light_Visions_of_God/70119972?trkid=226871
    From death god Ryuk's fascinating point of view, follow superintelligent high school student Light as he tries to evade genius Det. L and vanquish evil criminals with the Death Note, a powerful book that kills anyone whose name is written inside it. Featuring brand-new dialogue, music and scenes, this exhilarating redux offers fans of the popular anime series a fresh and exciting take on familiar events.

    So.... buh?

    Ah, I haven't heard of that. Guess it was quite under the radar.

    It sounds like they compiled the series into a tv movie (or rather, two movies), added some new scenes and changed a few things.

    Though what wiki says disappoints me a little:
    Originally, this special was advertised as a retelling told from Ryuk's point of view, but it does not give a different point of view from what was originally told. However, it contains updated dialog, as well as a few new scenes, including an alternate ending.

    Would have been nice to see it from a different point of view, but the alternate ending does intrigue me.

    Slicer on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Slicer wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So apparently there's another Death Note anime? That tells the story from a different perspective. Is it good at all? Or necessary?

    I'm still a little boggled that there's a redone Fullmetal Alchemist out. Then again, considering the rampant popularity of Fullmetal Alchemist and the struggling nature of the anime industry, I probably shouldn't be.

    I haven't heard a thing about a new Death Note anime. Wouldn't make too much sense though, as unlike FMA the Death Note anime was pretty accurate in following the manga.

    There have been the live action movies though.

    I put it in my Netflix queue a couple weeks ago.

    http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Death_Note_Re-light_Visions_of_God/70119972?trkid=226871
    From death god Ryuk's fascinating point of view, follow superintelligent high school student Light as he tries to evade genius Det. L and vanquish evil criminals with the Death Note, a powerful book that kills anyone whose name is written inside it. Featuring brand-new dialogue, music and scenes, this exhilarating redux offers fans of the popular anime series a fresh and exciting take on familiar events.

    So.... buh?

    Ah, I haven't heard of that. Guess it was quite under the radar.

    It sounds like they compiled the series into a tv movie (or rather, two movies), added some new scenes and changed a few things.

    It was mentioned two years ago. Then it went poof, I believe.

    The upcoming Death Note special broadcast, which was announced during the last episode of the animated suspense television series, will be a three-hour Death Note Director's Cut: Compete Ending Edition special that airs at 8:03 p.m. on August 31 on Japan's NTV. It will mainly be a compilation of the confrontations between the vigilante Light and the detective L, re-edited from the perspective of Light's Shinigami (God of Death) Ryuk. All-new dialogue and soundtrack will be recorded, and scenes will have additional animation that could not be included in the original series.

    Zandracon on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know i'm PikaPuff, but I'm asking this seriously. Which episodes if any have awkward scenes or straight up nudity in Saki? I'm thinking of watching it at work when I have down time. Anything NSFW I should worry about?

    PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus GRAND ATTACK!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Thread title pleases me.

    Yes, it is a travesty how many people haven't read Scott Pilgrim.

    Centipede Damascus on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle If only. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, clip show, then. No longer in my queue.

    And I'm sure you're sick of the people who wander in here with random "what should I watch" requests, but I'm a bit picky in my anime tastes and gravitate to more mature/more interesting stuff like Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, the Kon movies, Studio Gibli stuff, Death Note, etc.

    What's come out in the past year or so that I should watch?

    cloudeagle on
    3DS: 0344-9335-6762
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Strike Witches. Serious stuff about war and aliens.

    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So, clip show, then. No longer in my queue.

    And I'm sure you're sick of the people who wander in here with random "what should I watch" requests, but I'm a bit picky in my anime tastes and gravitate to more mature/more interesting stuff like Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, the Kon movies, Studio Gibli stuff, Death Note, etc.

    What's come out in the past year or so that I should watch?

    I will be the first (but not the last!) to recommend Baccano.

    It's about various events that take place at different times in 1930s America, involving gangsters, thieves, and immortals.

    It's very enjoyable and it isn't too long, clocking in at 16 episodes.

    Slicer on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Huh, Umineko Episode 1 spoilers from 2ch(?). This contains spoilers from the VN, so, yeah.
    Anime episode 1:
    1. Kinzo's scene + family meeting explanation in the beginning. Narrated by Ono.
    2. OP: Real world scenes + Meta world scenes. Contains ep2 events (recite request)
    3. Eyecatch: Clock + broken glass effect
    4. Similar to Higurashi, lots of scenes are cut. Adult talk is kept, beach scene is mostly cut.
    5. Battler's "らめええええええええ" is kept

    Ohara Sayaka (Beatrice):
    1. Wore a black dress with golden butterfly pendent and earings.
    2. Treated the MC as human furniture
    3. No lines in episode 1. "Beatrice finally shows up (talks) in episode 5, but everyone is dead." by Ohara. -> Ep1 has 5 episodes (?)
    4. Didn't enter any audition for the role. (in other words, was hand picked)

    Other points from the event:
    1. MC was a employee from frontier works. He dressed up as Kanon for the event. Unlike Kanon, he talked a lot.
    2. Kon Chiaki, Ohara Sayaka and Shikata Akiko were also there.

    Zandracon on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? peach treesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So, clip show, then. No longer in my queue.

    And I'm sure you're sick of the people who wander in here with random "what should I watch" requests, but I'm a bit picky in my anime tastes and gravitate to more mature/more interesting stuff like Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, the Kon movies, Studio Gibli stuff, Death Note, etc.

    What's come out in the past year or so that I should watch?

    I will be the first (but not the last!) to recommend Baccano.

    It's about various events that take place at different times in 1930s America, involving gangsters, thieves, and immortals.

    It's very enjoyable and it isn't too long, clocking in at 16 episodes.

    There is a link in my signature that is very relevant to this post

    Also if you haven't watched Samurai Champloo, do that

    And Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

    Olivaw on
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
    Never forget.
  • SpectrumSpectrum Super High-School Level ??? Hope's Peak AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Quentin wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Two close sisters go to school in Tokyo.

    A young girl finds love and enjoyment for her Craft while uncovering a conspiracy.

    A young man fights to protect his island paradise home in a giant robot.
    These three are still unsolved. I'll add more clues in later if necessary.

    Middle one could be Witch Hunter Robin, I suppose. Not how I'd describe it.

    Last one is Soukyuu no Fafner.
    Ding!

    That only leaves the first one out of the list.
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    I know i'm PikaPuff, but I'm asking this seriously. Which episodes if any have awkward scenes or straight up nudity in Saki? I'm thinking of watching it at work when I have down time. Anything NSFW I should worry about?
    There's no straight up nudity in Saki. Everything is censored with steam or other things.

    You *may* want to not watch Ep5 at work, that has a (relatively tame) onsen scene. There's a couple scenes in the first few episodes of characters being sad in the shower, if you don't want to risk it, but again everything is STEAM.

    Spectrum on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle If only. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Slicer wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So, clip show, then. No longer in my queue.

    And I'm sure you're sick of the people who wander in here with random "what should I watch" requests, but I'm a bit picky in my anime tastes and gravitate to more mature/more interesting stuff like Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, the Kon movies, Studio Gibli stuff, Death Note, etc.

    What's come out in the past year or so that I should watch?

    I will be the first (but not the last!) to recommend Baccano.

    It's about various events that take place at different times in 1930s America, involving gangsters, thieves, and immortals.

    It's very enjoyable and it isn't too long, clocking in at 16 episodes.

    There is a link in my signature that is very relevant to this post

    Also if you haven't watched Samurai Champloo, do that

    And Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

    You mean the thing about that guy saying dumb things about rape?

    Already seen GitS and Champloo, and I dug them.

    Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

    cloudeagle on
    3DS: 0344-9335-6762
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? peach treesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Slicer wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So, clip show, then. No longer in my queue.

    And I'm sure you're sick of the people who wander in here with random "what should I watch" requests, but I'm a bit picky in my anime tastes and gravitate to more mature/more interesting stuff like Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, the Kon movies, Studio Gibli stuff, Death Note, etc.

    What's come out in the past year or so that I should watch?

    I will be the first (but not the last!) to recommend Baccano.

    It's about various events that take place at different times in 1930s America, involving gangsters, thieves, and immortals.

    It's very enjoyable and it isn't too long, clocking in at 16 episodes.

    There is a link in my signature that is very relevant to this post

    Also if you haven't watched Samurai Champloo, do that

    And Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

    You mean the thing about that guy saying dumb things about rape?

    Already seen GitS and Champloo, and I dug them.

    Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

    No the thing below that

    And to the right

    Click on it

    Olivaw on
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
    Never forget.
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yay Baccano!

    Jragghen on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Ergandar wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Heyhey, we've got a few people watching Saki now!

    ...I think I'm still the only one watching Tears to Tiara, though. :lol:

    Man, I've been watching Saki since the beginning.

    Where have you been? :P
    Man, if you've been watching Saki, why haven't you gotten the OP changed to get it listed? =p

    On an unrelated note, the first Saki ED is strangely catchy.

    Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • bisondollarsbisondollars Registered User
    edited June 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So, clip show, then. No longer in my queue.

    And I'm sure you're sick of the people who wander in here with random "what should I watch" requests, but I'm a bit picky in my anime tastes and gravitate to more mature/more interesting stuff like Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, the Kon movies, Studio Gibli stuff, Death Note, etc.

    What's come out in the past year or so that I should watch?

    Mononoke
    Kaiji
    Dennou Coil

    Those are all 2007-2008

    bisondollars on
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

    And I'm sure you're sick of the people who wander in here with random "what should I watch" requests, but I'm a bit picky in my anime tastes and gravitate to more mature/more interesting stuff like Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, the Kon movies, Studio Gibli stuff, Death Note, etc.

    What's come out in the past year or so that I should watch?

    You should watch Sword of the Stranger. It's kinda like a more violent Princess Mononoke.

    Also, Gurren Lagann if you haven't. Karas has some amazing animation, the storyline is kinda meh though, but the animation and fights were worth it. I'll third Baccano! as well. Also if you like Death Note, you should probably watch Akagi, it's very similar in the sense that it's a tension-filled anime involving masterminds having battles of wits.

    Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • SpectrumSpectrum Super High-School Level ??? Hope's Peak AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Arkady wrote: »
    You should watch Sword of the Stranger. It's kinda like a more violent Princess Mononoke.
    This. This so hard. Everyone I recommended it to last thread loved it.

    I've got my blu-ray disc just sitting at home, waiting for the weekend for an orgy of glorious violence.

    Spectrum on
  • redxredx I make ends meet. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Baccano!, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Dennou Coil all really ought to be watched by anyone with any interest in anime. They are amazing in just about every regard.

    Mononoke is a really fantastic Japanese horror/mystery and is really a unique and stunning visual experience. You can use all those same words to describe Mushishi, but it's tone and style are totally different. Both are outstanding. The first 13 episodes of Mushishi are on Hulu.

    If you haven't watched Azumanga Daioh you should. It's a pretty great example of a 4 panel comic(more or less what you'd find in a western news paper) that's been turned into a anime. It's slice of life high school comedy. It is incredibly cute and funny, and if you like it, there are a whole slew of other similar shows out there that have a lot of the same sort of humor and story telling. I know, 'more mature' or whatever, but you list Studio Gibli in there. It's totally worth looking into, as you might surprise yourself and open up a whole bunch of doors.

    All of Nodame Cantabile and the first season of Honey & Clover are also pretty fantastic. Romancy Dramas with a bit of comedy thrown in for balance. Really worth watching. Maybe not your thing depending on which Gibli movies you are talking, but possibly worth a look.

    If you haven't watched Serial Experiments Lain, it is very good. If you like it chances are you'll like stuff like Texhnolyze, Darker than Black and Ergo Proxy. There are kinda systemic pacing issues and they are a little confusing, but they are all pretty great in their own rights.

    redx on
    This machine kills threads.
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Arkady wrote: »
    You should watch Sword of the Stranger. It's kinda like a more violent Princess Mononoke.
    This. This so hard. Everyone I recommended it to last thread loved it.

    I've got my blu-ray disc just sitting at home, waiting for the weekend for an orgy of glorious violence.

    I'd be one of those people. Fantastic in every way from start to finish.

    Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User
    edited June 2009
    You know, it is amazing how closely the voice actors for DBZ Abridged resemble the original english cast, at least in my memory.

    Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • bisondollarsbisondollars Registered User
    edited June 2009
    So now that the Gundam statue is out of the way, Japan is working on building a life-sized Tetsujin #28.

    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-06-24/18-m-tetsujin-28/gigantor-statue-construction-video-streamed
    There's a video of them building it on Youtube as well
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8P33ohPhXc&fmt=18

    Now all they need to do is build a Mazinger... maybe they can transport that one out of Spain.

    bisondollars on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jesuits wrote: »
    You know, it is amazing how closely the voice actors for DBZ Abridged resemble the original english cast, at least in my memory.

    Do you mean the Ocean Group dub, or the later Funimation in-house dub?

    FCD on
    "If anyone tried to steal your WAX LIPS, you would eat their eyeballs and deliver an angry lecture into their empty sockets." Hearts Boxcars, The Midnight Crew
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2009
    FCD wrote: »
    Jesuits wrote: »
    You know, it is amazing how closely the voice actors for DBZ Abridged resemble the original english cast, at least in my memory.

    Do you mean the Ocean Group dub, or the later Funimation in-house dub?

    The later one, going by Vegeta.

    Rust on
  • blkmageblkmage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Huh, Umineko Episode 1 spoilers from 2ch(?). This contains spoilers from the VN, so, yeah.
    Anime episode 1:
    1. Kinzo's scene + family meeting explanation in the beginning. Narrated by Ono.
    2. OP: Real world scenes + Meta world scenes. Contains ep2 events (recite request)
    3. Eyecatch: Clock + broken glass effect
    4. Similar to Higurashi, lots of scenes are cut. Adult talk is kept, beach scene is mostly cut.
    5. Battler's "らめええええええええ" is kept

    Ohara Sayaka (Beatrice):
    1. Wore a black dress with golden butterfly pendent and earings.
    2. Treated the MC as human furniture
    3. No lines in episode 1. "Beatrice finally shows up (talks) in episode 5, but everyone is dead." by Ohara. -> Ep1 has 5 episodes (?)
    4. Didn't enter any audition for the role. (in other words, was hand picked)

    Other points from the event:
    1. MC was a employee from frontier works. He dressed up as Kanon for the event. Unlike Kanon, he talked a lot.
    2. Kon Chiaki, Ohara Sayaka and Shikata Akiko were also there.
    The eyecatch is going to be so awesome.

    blkmage on
  • SpectrumSpectrum Super High-School Level ??? Hope's Peak AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Two close sisters go to school in Tokyo, where an underclassman develops an obsessive crush on one of them.
    This last one is still unsolved. Edited to add a lot more flavor. =X

    Let's restock!

    Two girls swap bodies after an accident, then work together to defeat a coup.

    A girl who was supposed to be killed was spared. Many years later, after she has almost grown up, forces the world over conspire to finish the job.

    A high school girl travels to a mysterious world where she is rescued by a young king with wings.

    A homeless orphan is found to be the reincarnation of a 12,000 year old hero of an ancient, legendary war.

    A boy tries to save his high-school swimming club by recruiting more members. A mysterious new student who only he can see, initially, agrees to join only if he pilots a mecha in an apparent game world. But why does everything seem so familiar?

    A girl struggles through to discover the truth after her brother betrayed their nation. Her only seeming comfort is a strange doll that almost seems empathic.

    Spectrum on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Two close sisters go to school in Tokyo, where an underclassman develops an obsessive crush on one of them.
    This last one is still unsolved. Edited to add a lot more flavor. =X

    Let's restock!

    A high school girl travels to a mysterious world where she is rescued by a young king with wings.

    A homeless orphan is found to be the reincarnation of a 12,000 year old hero of an ancient, legendary war.

    A girl struggles through to discover the truth after her brother betrayed their nation. Her only seeming comfort is a strange doll that almost seems empathic.

    Escaflowne, Aquarion and Sokou no Strain, I believe.

    FCD on
    "If anyone tried to steal your WAX LIPS, you would eat their eyeballs and deliver an angry lecture into their empty sockets." Hearts Boxcars, The Midnight Crew
«13456763
This discussion has been closed.