As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh Where's my Japanese [Tattoo]

KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Right, so I'm still going to Japan and you guys were so helpful before so....

My friend going with me likes tattoos. Her birthday will be happening while we are in Japan and she was thinking about getting one while we are there. Not a big one, a couple inches high and wide. She's not sure one what the tattoo should be of, but it won't get bigger than that.

My question is if anyone knows any good (read: reputable, clean) tattoo artists in the Kyoto/Osaka area? I know there is a pretty big bias against people with tattoos and tattooing in general due to the yakuza issue, so I expect there won't be many parlors there, but I figure we can at least try (and maybe see some more interesting, hidden parts of the cities?)

Any advice at all on this issue would be great.

P.S. I heard that onsens won't always allow customers who have tattoos. I don't, but my friend has two, one on each ankle. They are small and pretty inoffensive (one is a lotus blossom, the other is a cow...don't ask). I thought since she is gaijin that she would be allowed. Should I be worried about this? A big part of this trip is the hot baths.

Killgrimage on

• Options
    NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    it sounds like your understanding of tattoos in japanese culture are based on anime and weaboo myths.

NargorothRiP on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    it sounds like your understanding of tattoos in japanese culture are based on anime and weaboo myths.
    If you have no idea what you're talking about, you should probably refrain from posting in a H/A thread.

Some places will give you a hard time for having tattoos, others won't. It will probably come down to how much the staff at the time feels like hating on foreigners, and how much time they spend staring at ankles. Get some bandaids big enough to cover them up, or some sports tape and you'll be fine. If you're going to touristy bathing locations in general, then small tattoos are likely to cause no trouble at all.

As for finding a tattoo parlor in Japan, it's probably more trouble than its worth.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    if a big part of the trip is hot baths then getting a tattoo probably isn't a great idea anyway

immersing a new not-healed tattoo in hot water is not recommended

maybe skip it and just enjoy the baths

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yes, I think I've convinced her to not do it and just get the ink before or after the trip.

The bandaids thing is a great idea that I will definately have her impliment!

Killgrimage on