As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Self banning

ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I was wondering if there was a way to block out certain websites to keep oneself from accessing them, as they are a horrible waste of time.

I am not talking about here, this is from another forum/profile thing that is making my brain hurt due to the stupidity present on it. I would basically like for this certain site to not exist in my reality.

Comahawk on

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Anything you can configure you can unconfigure, unless you do it with a router and have someone else change the password.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    kaliyama wrote:
    Anything you can configure you can unconfigure, unless you do it with a router and have someone else change the password.

Yeh, I lack just little in the self control area, enough that if I can easily access the website, I will. However, if I ahve to go change a setting somewhere, I will just give up.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited December 2006
    I used to do that to this site when I was in grad school. There are a couple ways you can do it. In Firefox, you can add the whole site to your adblock list, using the adblock extension. In IE, you can use the parental security features to password protect or block sites. If worst comes to worst, you can take your ethernet cable and put it in the trunk of your car or somewhere relatively inconvienient.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I used to do that to this site when I was in grad school. There are a couple ways you can do it. In Firefox, you can add the whole site to your adblock list, using the adblock extension. In IE, you can use the parental security features to password protect or block sites. If worst comes to worst, you can take your ethernet cable and put it in the trunk of your car or somewhere relatively inconvienient.

Thank you.

Yeah, this website is mainly full of stupid people. Things that drove me to this today, two girls patting each other on the back and talking about how war does not accomplish anything, ect ect... The kicker? They live in North America. Or the guys claiming that the Hobbit was too slow to read.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You can add the address to your C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file - just open it with notepad and add

<some IP> <tab> <the offending website address>

127.0.0.1 is the "loopback" address, so if you point the address to it the browser will try to connect to a web server on your computer - if you don't have a server then you'll get an error obviously; the good thing about it is that you'll get it almost instantly.

You can also set it to an IP of some other website, eg. one of PA IPs is 208.66.97.1 (you can find it out by running "cmd" in XP and typing ping <web address> - the first line will tell you the IP of the site) and if you point the address to it the browser will just go to the PA main site (unless you type in something after the address and it doesn't exist on the PA server - then you'll just get a "Tycho-in-slippers" 404).

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    ffordefforde Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You may think of getting the pageaddict plugin for Firefox. All it does is keep track of how much time you waste per day on the internet and on which sites. But for me actually seeing that I spent 2 hours lurking the forums on Penny Arcade is enough to get me to get back to work.

fforde on
  • Options
    SuperunknownSuperunknown Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Comahawk wrote:

Thank you.

Yeah, this website is mainly full of stupid people. Things that drove me to this today, two girls patting each other on the back and talking about how war does not accomplish anything, ect ect... The kicker? They live in North America.

I don't see how that's stupid.

Superunknown on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    There are solutions posted here and I don't want to see where this is going and superunknown you should know better by now don't let me see you doing this again

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
This discussion has been closed.