As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Knights of the Old Republic - contains a metric ton of unmarked spoilers

• Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was.

I'm wondering if I should replay it differently.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2009
    I honestly couldn't care less if your character is more best than mine. Any character is going to be pretty awesome by the end. The thing I liked about Sentinels was that I didn't have to rely on other characters for my skills.

Tube on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I honestly couldn't care less if your character is more best than mine. Any character is going to be pretty awesome by the end. The thing I liked about Sentinels was that I didn't have to rely on other characters for my skills.

There's a certain logic to this. For me, the only thing I like about them is their default immunities.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    What you care about is your own thing, but I do, hence the question. If you really do one hit kills as well (select an opponent, select an attack, enemy dead) then the Sentinel may be the better choice because of the skills.

Also how are your character's force powers?

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

There's a certain logic to this. For me, the only thing I like about them is their default immunities.

I'm not really sure how skills are calculated, if I make a guardian with say, 16 intelligence will he have a similar skill ability? I'm thinking of not raising strength past 10, it seems to be a dump stat.

Tube on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

I'm not really sure how skills are calculated, if I make a guardian with say, 16 intelligence will he have a similar skill ability? I'm thinking of not raising strength past 10, it seems to be a dump stat.

It's been too long since I've played, so I don't think I can confirm or deny that. I don't think a 16 Int Guardian will benefit very much from that. But I might be confusing how KOTOR1 did it compared to KOTOR2.

But definitely in KOTOR2 Strength becomes a touch superfluous with the skill that makes Dex become the default stat for damage. You could probably even go to 8 Strength just to put the extra points somewhere else... If you don't mind being a bit weak early on.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    What you care about is your own thing, but I do, hence the question. If you really do one hit kills as well (select an opponent, select an attack, enemy dead) then the Sentinel may be the better choice because of the skills.

Also how are your character's force powers?

Good enough to wipe out rooms with force waves with enlightenment up. I had a +6 bonus to wisdom by the end. I made a few duff power choices to see what they were like and so I didn't pick up storm, wouldn't have really fit the character anyway.

A standard attack round for me (with speed on) had 4 attacks. In my first round against the last boss right now I got 54, 100, 43, 54. Tried master critical and got 86, 39, 54, 55. YMMV. I just don't like the look of flurry which is why I picked critical strike.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Okay that's pretty powerful.

Critical Strike is the strongest if you've got the proper stance (Shien, x5 critical) and the lightsabers equipped to deal critical strikes properly (proper mods to lower the chance).

I do four strikes per attack as well, but two get merged in one, so on a regular sith lightsaber enemy in Trayus Academy right now I did 55, 146, 160.

I guess there's not a lot of difference in the end. Good to know.

I think Sentinel gets that sneak attack thing where they do tremendous amounts of damage in stealth, but I never tried that.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    deowolf wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    After playing through as a Sentinel I may never play another class again

Sentinel truly is the best class.

Man, I thought I was in the Mass Effect thread for a minute there, I almost shit myself. But yeah, Sentinel/Master is the way to be awesomest in KoTOR 2.

I played Sentinel/Weapon Master. By the end I was killing literally anything in one round and my Force Saves were unbeatable. I could also (as was my plan for this character) barely be hit. I really want to roll a guardian to play darkside but I don't know if A. I can do without all the awesome buffs and B. If I can do without all those skills. Consulars are fun and all but being made of paper is boring.

Re: buffs

In KOTOR2, any buff Kreia casts on herself also affects the PC, so for most of the game, carry her around and you can be perma-buffed without ever investing in those powers. Skills are nice, though.

big l on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sneak attack bonus also applies when the target is stunned/immobilized which makes it a very nice combination with force powers.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So less about KOTOR 2 and how you're a walking god at the end no matter how bad you are at playing

And more about anyone knowing if there's anything but cosmetic differences between Gizka and these other fellows who released their shit recently

Robman on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    big l wrote: »

Man, I thought I was in the Mass Effect thread for a minute there, I almost shit myself. But yeah, Sentinel/Master is the way to be awesomest in KoTOR 2.

I played Sentinel/Weapon Master. By the end I was killing literally anything in one round and my Force Saves were unbeatable. I could also (as was my plan for this character) barely be hit. I really want to roll a guardian to play darkside but I don't know if A. I can do without all the awesome buffs and B. If I can do without all those skills. Consulars are fun and all but being made of paper is boring.

In KOTOR2, any buff Kreia casts on herself also affects the PC, so for most of the game, carry her around and you can be perma-buffed without ever investing in those powers. Skills are nice, though.

Until she's gone. What are you going to do then when you've spent the entire game relying on her?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Until she's gone. What are you going to do then when you've spent the entire game relying on her?

By that time, you're stupid overpowered anyways, so it doesn't really matter.

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Okay that's pretty powerful.

Critical Strike is the strongest if you've got the proper stance (Shien, x5 critical) and the lightsabers equipped to deal critical strikes properly (proper mods to lower the chance).

I do four strikes per attack as well, but two get merged in one, so on a regular sith lightsaber enemy in Trayus Academy right now I did 55, 146, 160.

I guess there's not a lot of difference in the end. Good to know.

I think Sentinel gets that sneak attack thing where they do tremendous amounts of damage in stealth, but I never tried that.

That's if you take the watchmen prestige class. I took weapon master because I never use stealth.

Tube on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Well, you should also be getting the XP bonus from having her in your party, so you should be able to pick a few buffs up here and there.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    So less about KOTOR 2 and how you're a walking god at the end no matter how bad you are at playing

And more about anyone knowing if there's anything but cosmetic differences between Gizka and these other fellows who released their shit recently

I would quite like to know the answer to this as well.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Well, you should also be getting the XP bonus from having her in your party, so you should be able to pick a few buffs up here and there.

I didn't take her with me that often and I got to level 27 which seems respectable. I think it's worth missing the xp bonus to try out all the different characters.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    how's this for a summary
    Jedi Sentinels and Guardians gain BAB and Saves at the same rate. At level 15,
    a Sentinel has one less Feat and 30 less VP, but he has 36 more Skill Points
    and 30 more FP. Also, the Sentinel's Force Immunity (Fear/Stun/Paralysis)
    can be more helpful than the Guardian's Force Jump.

I love force jump, but seriously why ever pick Guardian.

Tube on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I can imagine Kreia saying something like that. While also saying that you need to be willing to use the skills/abilities of those around you less you fail if you didn't.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

The change logs between Team Gizka's project and the TSLRCM show some differences like on Onderron though Team Gizka's post hasn't been updated in a few years so it might have changed by now.

If you are wondering if it is based on Team Gizka's leaked beta the FAQ states
    Q: Is this a theft of Team Gizka's work?
    A: Not in the slightest. All of this mod, minus the Rebuilt Enclave by jinger (who gave permission for it to be used in this mod), was done by Stoney and Zbyl2 and SWfan28.

Edit: Added some more relevant info.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    how's this for a summary

I knew Sentinels were way better in 2 than in 1, but that's kinda silly. You're right, there's no reason to pick Guardian unless you really love force jump.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    how's this for a summary

Force Jump sucks because you can't control it. Fight starts? JUMP! Half the time it seemed your companions would die because they couldn't handle a fight on their own. And then you're surrounded. I guess it's good to get that first strike in, but it's still pretty lame in comparison.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tertiee wrote: »

The change logs between Team Gizka's project and the TSLRCM show some differences like on Onderron though Team Gizka's post hasn't been updated in a few years so it might have changed by now.

If you are wondering if it is based on Team Gizka's leaked beta the FAQ states
    Q: Is this a theft of Team Gizka's work?
    A: Not in the slightest. All of this mod, minus the Rebuilt Enclave by jinger (who gave permission for it to be used in this mod), was done by Stoney and Zbyl2 and SWfan28.

Edit: Added some more relevant info.

Cool. I've got GRAW2 and Assassin's Creed to play with until this shit settles down (10 bucks for quality gamex2 tyvm) so hopefully some internet detectives keep us up to speed

Robman on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    how's this for a summary

Force Jump sucks because you can't control it. Fight starts? JUMP! Half the time it seemed your companions would die because they couldn't handle a fight on their own. And then you're surrounded. I guess it's good to get that first strike in, but it's still pretty lame in comparison.

Yeah, force jump would have ruled if it was like a regular force power, it was just okay as is. Still, I love feats.

big l on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like force jump in 2 because at the end of the game when anything you think about dies you can just be flying from one side of the room to the other killing something every jump

Khavall on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, this game is crashing during any of the switches from FMV to game. This happens randomly, but now it's happening every time after I beat
    Bastila and have her use her meditation to help the republic.

FUCK!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    So, this game is crashing during any of the switches from FMV to game. This happens randomly, but now it's happening every time after I beat
    Bastila and have her use her meditation to help the republic.

FUCK!

You could always
    Kill her

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, there were a lot of really great mods for both games. Until the hosting sites went down. I owned both Xbox versions, but went out and got the PC versions once I saw the awesome mods (that, and the PC version were cheap as well).

Anyone ever download the Purple Twi'lek character head mod for KOTORII? I mostly remember it for the cool Sith tattoo it had should you decide to become evil.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Man, there were a lot of really great mods for both games. Until the hosting sites went down. I owned both Xbox versions, but went out and got the PC versions once I saw the awesome mods (that, and the PC version were cheap as well).

Anyone ever download the Purple Twi'lek character head mod for KOTORII? I mostly remember it for the cool Sith tattoo it had should you decide to become evil.

Sounds like somebody basically stole the head from the Assistant Sith on Korriban in KOTOR 1.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, are there any decent looking armor/robe mods for KotoR?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    there is a mod out there to get rid of the tin can sabers in Kotor1 and replace them with something slightly less weird looking. They're not exactly stellar, but after replaying this game countless times, it was nice to have ANY change.

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/;100703

There is another mod on the site that lets you use some of the movie hilts

VoodooV on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    VoodooV wrote: »
    there is a mod out there to get rid of the tin can sabers in Kotor1 and replace them with something slightly less weird looking. They're not exactly stellar, but after replaying this game countless times, it was nice to have ANY change.

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/;100703

There is another mod on the site that lets you use some of the movie hilts
    I remember a mod for KotOR2 that gave all the Jedi masters, Sith lords, and converted Jedi underlings unique, personalized hilts. It actually added a bit of extra character to the game.

Monger on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

Sounds like somebody basically stole the head from the Assistant Sith on Korriban in KOTOR 1.

Nope. It wasn't Yuuran (I think that was her name?). She had only red tattoos, and they grew the further dark side you went. Even then, they were considerably less than Yuuran's. Plus, custom clothes.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wonder if the AI has been fixed a bit. Cause I stopped playing the second KOTOR cause all my party mates kept running into mines for no reason. It was a race to see if I could disable them before they just ran into them. It was maddenning.

That's when I read that awesome Let's Play instead. :)

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was just looking at Team Gizka's site, and their changelog doesn't have anything after April. If they're going to leave it untouched for half a year, why not just release it as is?

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was just looking at Team Gizka's site, and their changelog doesn't have anything after April. If they're going to leave it untouched for half a year, why not just release it as is?

It's been like this since they started it years ago. They'd do a tiny bit, lie about what percentage was finished, then you'd have silence for six months. They gave plenty of reasons - 'life getting in the way' and such, but to have the whole thing (and more) done in less than six months by some other team really makes the point.

EddieDean on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There's no way to get KOTORII through digital distribution, is there? I see that KOTOR I can grab from D2D but nowhere can I find KOTORII.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    FYI:

The Sith Lords Restored Content mod ver1.4 "READY"

Has anyone here played using this mod yet?

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    There's no way to get KOTORII through digital distribution, is there? I see that KOTOR I can grab from D2D but nowhere can I find KOTORII.

I don't believe so, but it's still on store shelves. I just saw it at target a couple days ago.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    FYI:

The Sith Lords Restored Content mod ver1.4 "READY"
    Snip

Link

As for what this mod does...
    Snip

The implication is that all other cut content has been restored.

So, the HK droid factory, and what else? Some extra Kreia conversations? Telling us what the hell GO-TO is up to in the final planet?

big l on