As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Knights of the Old Republic - contains a metric ton of unmarked spoilers

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That the thing about all mod communities. They're not always what you want.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2009
    I think they did a sterling job, and remarkably quickly. It is true that the game has serious pacing problems because of the new content though, it was somewhat overlong already.

Here's what's weird, I played it without the patch and reached level 27 doing most quests. I played it WITH the patch, with all it's new enemies and experience and reached... level 27.

Tube on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    FYI:

The Sith Lords Restored Content mod ver1.4 "READY"

Has anyone here played using this mod yet?

Yeah I have. It's... not bad. It becomes startlingly obvious that the majority of the gameplay content was cut for pace reasons rather than evil Lucasarts. Fighting through Nar Shadaa's new content for example is overwhelmingly tedious, and it also got to the point where I was sighing every time I had to go through another of the dozen new HK encounters. All the new plot stuff and added cut scenes are great, but everything you have to play through that was cut is pretty terrible. The HK factory in particular is dull as balls.

Does there seem to be any way to clip down the HK factory bit? Might need a mod of the mod.

Krathoon on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    End of KOTOR game spoilers.
    Well, this is lame. Either by my stupidity or the dame developers thinking it's a good idea to throw endless enemies at you, I seem to be unable to beat Malak, I'm all charged up on stimulants, no med packs, and no matter what, in a few seconds I die from something else, I think my Stamina Stimulant running out.

Any Ideas? The last save I have is at docking at the Star Forge, which isn't so bad, but another two hours of dull space ship corridors doesn't sound like that much fun.

Xtarath on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Xtarath wrote: »
    Well, this is lame. Either by my stupidity or the dame developers thinking it's a good idea to throw endless enemies at you, I seem to be unable to beat Malak, I'm all charged up on stimulants, no med packs, and no matter what, in a few seconds I die from something else, I think my Stamina Stimulant running out.

Any Ideas? The last save I have is at docking at the Star Forge, which isn't so bad, but another two hours of dull space ship corridors doesn't sound like that much fun.

What's your character build?
    Are you taking out all the Jedis in chambers with Force Lightning or Destroy Droid?

Also, if you're not relying too much on Force Powers, you can perhaps wear armor instead of a Jedi robe. This helped my blaster Jedi, who couldn't really handle the damage otherwise.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2009

What's your character build?
    Are you taking out all the Jedis in chambers with Force Lightning or Destroy Droid?

Also, if you're not relying too much on Force Powers, you can perhaps wear armor instead of a Jedi robe. This helped my blaster Jedi, who couldn't really handle the damage otherwise.

I actually just beat it, by a combination of light saber throw and saving thereafter. Not exactly movie worthy I'd say.

Xtarath on
    edited October 2009
    Did you use your buffs? With master speed and valour you should be able to beat pretty much anything.

Tube on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just beat KOTOR 1 for the Xteenth time. I fully intend to move on to KOTOR 2 at this point.

1. Are there any mods I need installed for the new released mod thingie to work?

2. Aside from the restored content mod, are there any other mods I should look for?

3. I seem to recall hearing about a way to remove the motion blur thing that happens with Force Speed. Could someone fill me in on how that's done? It's really annoying.

Terrendos on
    edited October 2009
    The TSL mod works without anything else being needed.

Tube on
    edited October 2009
    Did you use your buffs? With master speed and valour you should be able to beat pretty much anything.

Yeah, getting all stimulated made me forget about the force, but I made sure and did it the second time, so it was a piece of cake.

Xtarath on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Yeah, getting all stimulated made me forget about the force, but I made sure and did it the second time, so it was a piece of cake.

I usually find myself rarely using the stims. Maybe early on they're useful, but toward the endgame, they're just a bit unnecessary.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I love shields

they are the best

Robman on
  • Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I use shields all the time, especially in KOTOR 2, but I think I used stims exactly once across both games. You need every edge you can get against Bendak (the last arena fight on Taris) as a level 2 scoundrel.

Walrus Pete on
    edited October 2009
    I know it's D&D and all, but I find buffing before every fight annoying. If you're lightside by the end of the game you really need to have three buffs up and by the time you're finished one is about to wear off. Enlightenment in KOTOR 2 rocks just for convenience

Tube on
    edited October 2009
    So, when playing through KOTOR 2 again, I got a curious bug. For some reason when I try and spar with Handmaiden on the Ebon Hawk she refuses to give up. I'll deal what would normally be killing blows but she remains with a single sliver of health left. Goggling the problem didn't seem to turn anything up. I wouldn't worry about it, but that means that I'm missing out on quite a bit as those fights are the main influence with her and I can't even ask her about her past until we've fought once.

I wouldn't mind just bypassing the fights entirely via the savegame editor which I downloaded for just such an occasion, but I've no idea how it's done. I see a "Numeric" category with a bunch of what look like triggers (003EBO_Handmaid_Fight looks suspiciously like what I'm looking for, and it's set to 0). I guess I'll just boost her Influence and fiddle with that number and see what happens? Alternately, has anyone else heard of this problem and have an easier fix?

Terrendos on
  • Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That happened to me in my most recent playthrough. I can't remember whether I loaded an older save or just put off the sparring until later, but whichever it was worked. Try loading a save before you got onto the Ebon Hawk, and if that doesn't work then maybe do some of the next story planet then try again.

Walrus Pete on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I know it's D&D and all, but I find buffing before every fight annoying. If you're lightside by the end of the game you really need to have three buffs up and by the time you're finished one is about to wear off. Enlightenment in KOTOR 2 rocks just for convenience

I want to find whatever game developer recently realized that sometimes things that serve no purpose other than to be aggravating are in fact not fun. Hunting for obscure passageways for that extra health pack, doing really boring thoughtless puzzles, lives systems, cheap deaths, slow movement just for the sake of slow movement, having to apply short-lived buffs one at a time for no reason at all, all those wonderful old school standbys that sucked seem to be going away from more and more games.

It's beautiful.

Khavall on
    edited October 2009
    That happened to me in my most recent playthrough. I can't remember whether I loaded an older save or just put off the sparring until later, but whichever it was worked. Try loading a save before you got onto the Ebon Hawk, and if that doesn't work then maybe do some of the next story planet then try again.

Well, my only other last game save is pretty recent, so I guess I'll try that first. If it doesn't work, I guess I'll try again later.

Good to know I'm not the only person having the problem. Were you running the restored stuff or just the base game?

EDIT: Just an update in case anyone else gets the problem, reloading the earlier save file worked. Thanks, and I'll have to remember to start keeping more backup saves than I usually do.

Terrendos on
    edited October 2009
    Terrendos wrote: »

Well, my only other last game save is pretty recent, so I guess I'll try that first. If it doesn't work, I guess I'll try again later.

Good to know I'm not the only person having the problem. Were you running the restored stuff or just the base game?

EDIT: Just an update in case anyone else gets the problem, reloading the earlier save file worked. Thanks, and I'll have to remember to start keeping more backup saves than I usually do.

Also, don't save on the Ebon Hawk. I don't remember if that was a K1 or K2 problem, but I never saved on the ship. I'd also keep five rolling saves, one to use for the first time arriving on a planet/location and the other four would be periodic saves. Either after key encounters or just whenever. Good game. Buggy as fuck.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Also, don't save on the Ebon Hawk. I don't remember if that was a K1 or K2 problem, but I never saved on the ship. I'd also keep five rolling saves, one to use for the first time arriving on a planet/location and the other four would be periodic saves. Either after key encounters or just whenever. Good game. Buggy as fuck.

This is a reasonable tactic. On Nar Shadaa, for example, there are a few ways you can accidentally fuck yourself into not being able to progress.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited October 2009
    Not saving on the Ebon Hawk may just kill me. I'm one of those compulsive savers (I save after every conversation basically; I just landed on my first planet after Telos and I think I'm past a hundred saves).

Oh well.

Terrendos on
    edited October 2009
    Not saving on the Ebon Hawk may just kill me. I'm one of those compulsive savers (I save after every conversation basically; I just landed on my first planet after Telos and I think I'm past a hundred saves).

Oh well.

You stack the saves? Man... If you weren't using the PC, I'd chastise you for wasting space... As it is, if you're that concerned about saving after conversations, leave the ship just to save.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah...I mean if you're worried about bugs 3-5 rolling saves is enough. And it works a lot better because they tend to be closer to each other time wise.

Dragkonias on
  • HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So what can I do with Bao-Dur to make him not so useless? I mean, 10 Dex? What the hell am I supposed to do with that?

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hamju wrote: »
    So what can I do with Bao-Dur to make him not so useless? I mean, 10 Dex? What the hell am I supposed to do with that?

You really can't do much of anything about it. Even if he becomes a Jedi (arguably especially if he becomes a Jedi) he will always be mediocre at best.

And barely has any lines.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »

You really can't do much of anything about it. Even if he becomes a Jedi (arguably especially if he becomes a Jedi) he will always be mediocre at best.

Shame. I think he'd look really cool as a sith...

Hamju on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

He makes a great crafting bitch though, otherwise he's pretty shit.

Silpheed on
    edited October 2009
    Silpheed wrote: »

Pretty much this. The workbenches take the highest level in the party so if you don't want to worry about it yourself...

Plus, I always find it annoying to see his Remote flying around and with barely any 'health'.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited October 2009

Pretty much this. The workbenches take the highest level in the party so if you don't want to worry about it yourself...

Plus, I always find it annoying to see his Remote flying around and with barely any 'health'.

It's a shame, because Bao-Dur has such potential. Fought at Malachor alongside the Exile, created the Mass Shadow generator even, and has a kind of hidden, dry wit about him... and game-wise, you get the impression that his remote was supposed to be as upgradable as the other droids, which would make for a really interesting half-droid/half-meatbag progression dynamic.

If he had more of a well-crafted backstory and more dialogue, a more fleshed-out progression with his remote, and actually had more proper plot points in the story, he'd be a great character, probably as good as Atton.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited October 2009
    I certainly won't deny he has promise. But when you can sum up the execution with 'his special ability to punch barriers to open them can by done by the Exile with a lightsaber' you've pretty much designed a bad companion.

And his single redeeming quality, the workbench thing, can still be negated by have the Exile be a Stat Monster without any significant combat penalty.

I liked the character, hated the implementation. I still turn him into a Jedi, but just so he has some support powers in the split mission.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited October 2009
    And his single redeeming quality, the workbench thing, can still be negated by have the Exile be a Jedi Watchman

fixed

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    And his single redeeming quality, the workbench thing, can still be negated by have the Exile be a Jedi Watchman

fixed
    Indeed, KotoR II really made me love the Sentinel/Watchman classes.

Silpheed on
  • CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was playing through KOTOR 2 and I seem to have run into a game stopping bug, hooray!

After I beat
    Atris on Telos, and chatted with her, I can't leave her stupid compound to head to Malacor V. The area exit just... doesn't work. So that was a lot of fun.

Craigopogo on
    edited October 2009

fixed
    Indeed, KotoR II really made me love the Sentinel/Watchman classes.

I'm playing as a Sentinel now and I gotta say, it's a lot of fun not having to rely on everyone for skills. My repair, computer and persuade are always maxed out.

Hamju on
    edited October 2009
    Sentinel is the best class in the game, hands down. I take Weapon Master as my prestige class though. By that point in the game you have all the skill points you will need

Tube on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    force crush is so much fun, though

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    force crush is so much fun, though

It only kills one guy at a time, and it takes sooooo long. You can lightning 20 guys in the time it takes to crush one. Sure, it looks cool, but by that point in the game, you are hacking through rooms of 20 guys at a time, you want to kill quickly.

big l on
    edited October 2009
    In tangentially related news*, holy shit!
    *seeing as how I found it on J. E. Sawyer's twitter feed

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In tangentially related news*, holy shit!
    *seeing as how I found it on J. E. Sawyer's twitter feed

Oh my god.

Vic on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That is WONDERFUL.

manwiththemachinegun on