As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dogs] The joy of picking up poop in small plastic bags

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    1ddqd wrote: »
    After reading the wiki on Saluki's, it does account for the way she behaves off leash. There are rabbits in our apartment complexes that she can see over distances of 50+ yards. In the dog park, the rabbits run around at night and sometimes we'll sneak up on them. I snap the leash off around 20 ft from the gate and what commences is like that coursing scene from Snatch. If I were to try and head off a rabbit, she changes course (usually the right way) to intercept it.

If you look at that last picture in the article, of the Gazelle Hound, she poses just like that when she's in the dog park.
    They're bred hunters. By sight, mostly. I don't know if it's a breed thing, but Sasha's sense of smell is probably weaker than mine. I can drop food on the floor, and unless she literally walks over it looking down, she'll never sniff it out.

Edit: She can spot squirrels/birds/cats/other dogs several blocks away, though.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    They're bred hunters. By sight, mostly. I don't know if it's a breed thing, but Sasha's sense of smell is probably weaker than mine. I can drop food on the floor, and unless she literally walks over it looking down, she'll never sniff it out.

Yeah, definitely like Mishka. We should put them together some day and see how closely they match.

Got a pic?

1ddqd on
    edited July 2009

Yeah, definitely like Mishka. We should put them together some day and see how closely they match.

Got a pic?
    2671614970094323247S425x425Q85.jpg
    Birdy?

2144324100094323247S425x425Q85.jpg
    Wazzuhuh?

2621549080094323247S425x425Q85.jpg
    Be vewy qwiet...

She's not really one to sit still long enough for a good picture, I'm afraid.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I can't account for the black spots specifically, but the rest of the description combined with that expression in the photo sounds exactly like my dog.

We did a blood test, and she's 80%~ Saluki, with 20% indeterminate. Whatever else she's got (and yours looks this way too) served to fill her out a bit.

For the longest time we couldn't figure out what she was. Even people who did dog shows and such couldn't give us a good answer. She was just kind of a non-descript if nice-looking brown dog. Turns out, saluki is kind of the proto-dog, which makes it hard to place if you're not really looking for it.

Let's review our basic genetics... 80% is a really hard % to get. You would have to have a purebred dog breed with another dog and then the resulting puppies breed back into the purebred saluki for several generations. And you might need a second mixed breed in the great-grandparent generation.

Your dog came back as 50% saluki, 25% rottweiler and 12.5% dalmation and 12.5% undertermined.

There are 3 major brands of genetic tests and they range from $60-120

And your dog weighed over 40lbs last time we went to the vet. And you picked her because she looked like a shepherd/husky mix. So I maintain that she fits your basic labs/shepherds are the only real dogs bias.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
    edited July 2009
    Kistra wrote: »
    And your dog weighed over 40lbs last time we went to the vet. And you picked her because she looked like a shepherd/husky mix. So I maintain that she fits your basic labs/shepherds are the only real dogs bias.
    That's because those are the only real dogs, and all other types are just variations on them. :P

OptimusZed on

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A few days ago the temperature outside was topping 102 degrees. We got dismissed from work earlier this week and as we were leaving the brigade area into the parking lot we saw a sergeant run up to us telling us that there was a dog locked in a car. He showed us the black Civic and sure enough, we could hear the poor thing yipping away furiously. It was a puppy, looked like some sort of spaniel, and we didn't know how to get her out. She was panting furiously and scratching away at everything.

Eventually the MP's came to the scene and had no idea how to get into the car. One of my sergeants managed to push one of the cracked windows down further and pop the door from the outside, setting off the alarm. She was grateful to be free, but we had a problem: None of us had any cool water. Like a miracle another sergeant came up with a thermos full of cool water and gave the poor dog a drink. She drank 2 caps full in just a few minutes, and her panting had abated considerably. This is a picture of her happily drinking shortly after being freed from her oven.
    1231231223.jpg

The lieutenant who owned the dog was told he can face charges, jail time, and up to $500 in fines due to his negligent actions. I smiled when I heard the cop was a dog lover, and the look on the face of this irresponsible jackass more than made my entire week.

Poor thing.

jungleroomx on
  • CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Stoppit, all of you, you're making me want to get a new dog! :x

My last doggy was a terrier/poodle mix, about knee-high with a terrier's build and medium-length grey hair; we always joked that when she died we could use her pelt as a nice little mat for our bathroom. She wasn't a terribly friendly dog, but got along really well with my mom because they were both grouchy bitches (In a good way! In a good way!) She'd start growling if we petted her in some way that she didn't like, but to be fair me and my brother tended to horse around with her a lot so she was kind of wary of us. For instance, I'd pick her up and hold her under my arm and pretend to fire her at people like a gun - imagine the Heavy from TF2, only this was before TF2. My brother would pick her up at the dining table and set her on his lap with her back down and belly up while he ate, which she really didn't like but still took the opportunity to try and steal the food off of his plate. My mom also did that, only with the dog right side up, so she didn't mind so much. Towards the end of her life, my mom pretty much just let her lick her plate clean when she was done eating.

ETA: She was also cuter than all your dogs. Combined. Cubed.

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    jokerman wanna send one of those great dane puppies my way

Casual Eddy on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A few days ago the temperature outside was topping 102 degrees. We got dismissed from work earlier this week and as we were leaving the brigade area into the parking lot we saw a sergeant run up to us telling us that there was a dog locked in a car. He showed us the black Civic and sure enough, we could hear the poor thing yipping away furiously. It was a puppy, looked like some sort of spaniel, and we didn't know how to get her out. She was panting furiously and scratching away at everything.

Eventually the MP's came to the scene and had no idea how to get into the car. One of my sergeants managed to push one of the cracked windows down further and pop the door from the outside, setting off the alarm. She was grateful to be free, but we had a problem: None of us had any cool water. Like a miracle another sergeant came up with a thermos full of cool water and gave the poor dog a drink. She drank 2 caps full in just a few minutes, and her panting had abated considerably. This is a picture of her happily drinking shortly after being freed from her oven.
    1231231223.jpg

The lieutenant who owned the dog was told he can face charges, jail time, and up to $500 in fines due to his negligent actions. I smiled when I heard the cop was a dog lover, and the look on the face of this irresponsible jackass more than made my entire week.

Poor thing.

The bolded point is about where I'd go "You know what, fuck this. FORE!" Amazing what broken windows will do for air circulation. ;)

Phoenix-D on
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Poor thing.

WTF was his excuse?! Fucking idiot.

1ddqd on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

We actualy just had a litter of puppies, and another one on the way, so conceivably I could if you really wanted one.

Poor thing.

probably a butter-bar. These people think the world revolves around them.

Jokerman on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jokerman wrote: »

We actualy just had a litter of puppies, and another one on the way, so conceivably I could if you really wanted one.

I'm curious, how exactly do you ship dogs via the post?

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    When we received one of our Border Terriers from the breeder in Texas, she came via a normal passenger flight and my mom picked her up at the airport. About the only way I can think of.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited July 2009
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    When we received one of our Border Terriers from the breeder in Texas, she came via a normal passenger flight and my mom picked her up at the airport. About the only way I can think of.

This. However since eddy isn't that far i would probably just drive the little pup to him.

Jokerman on
    edited July 2009
    i can't take care of one right now

but conceivably my parents will want another great dane some day

Casual Eddy on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

probably a butter-bar. These people think the world revolves around them.

It was a butter bar. He claimed he has just picked the puppy up from the vet and was only inside for 15 minutes (lie). Nobody would've stopped him from bringing the dog inside, and better yet he should've dropped her off before going back to work.

I hate butter bars.

jungleroomx on
    edited July 2009
    what's a butter bar

Casual Eddy on
    edited July 2009
    what's a butter bar

Lieutenant. Basically the lowest ranking officer.

jungleroomx on
  • BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I'm dogsitting for my sister this weekend.

This is Kirby (apologies for the zomghuge pic, but my laptop died this morning and I'm posting via phone):
    iPhoneUpload.jpg

He is the dumbest, floppiest, most huggable dog ever. Basically he's my retarded nephew.

Bitstream on
  • KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The people who own my dog's best friend got a golden puppy. She was the sweetest stupid thing ever and was called Bozo:

2777766290094323247S425x425Q85.jpg

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Corlis wrote: »

ETA: She was also cuter than all your dogs. Combined. Cubed.

That may be but my dog is typing this forum post!

. . .

Okay she's not, my cat is. My dog has awful dictation skills.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    New dog pics from the 3rd of july picnic
    6408_99798796501_675636501_2536161_1782862_n.jpg6408_99798706501_675636501_2536160_6351245_n.jpg
    And... ahem... uhh... ignore the cleavage...
    6408_99798461501_675636501_2536157_198335_n.jpg

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
    edited July 2009
    Prepare for more comments on cleavage than your dog.

Cute dog though.

King Riptor on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Your dog is a classy dude for ignoring the cleavage and determinably staring off into the distance. Truely mans best friend.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mega PlayboyMega Playboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Your dog is a classy dude for pawing at the cleavage determinably. Truely mans best friend.

I fix that for you.

Top of the dog pile for me

Mega Playboy on
    Trying to help out my step dad check out his youtube channel
    edited July 2009
    what's a butter bar

And usualy world class douchebags. Not only do they usualy have a huge entitlement complex from being an officer, there ego is only surpassed by there greenness. In short, they're fucktarded.

Jokerman on
    edited July 2009
    what's a butter bar

And usualy world class douchebags. Not only do they usualy have a huge entitlement complex from being an officer, there ego is only surpassed by there greenness. In short, they're fucktarded.

Usually. I'm lucky that the 2 lt's we have are levelheaded, especially compared to some of these thick fucks I've met. As a PFC i get offended when I see someone so damn green put in charge of entire platoons.

jungleroomx on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Why is this thread two days old but the cat thread still goes on? Lets see some more dogs people!

Mr Pink on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Will post more dogs tonight!

EDIT: In the mean time, observe the most awesome type of dog in the world, and the only type I would consider buying from a litter, the wire-haired fox terrier. (picture from wiki)

Foxterrier_als_Familienhund.jpg

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
    edited July 2009
    The cats are just forcing their people to post more. Threatening to kill you in your sleep will do that.

Random doggie photo time!

2701709340094323247S425x425Q85.jpg

2396163540094323247S425x425Q85.jpg

2390235580094323247S425x425Q85.jpg

OptimusZed on

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dyna's Gus

gusb.jpg
    flyinggus.jpg

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oops. Double Post.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited July 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    Will post more dogs tonight!

EDIT: In the mean time, observe the most awesome type of dog in the world, and the only type I would consider buying from a litter, the wire-haired fox terrier. (picture from wiki)
    Foxterrier_als_Familienhund.jpg

Wire Fox Terriers are great dogs, but I encourage anyone who anticipates getting one to read up on the breed. They can be a handful with the wrong type of dog owner.

I would love another wire fox, but the time is not right. We lost Chelsea last year, and I still have trouble with that (we were very close.)

2583390604_bc36cb27f8.jpg

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited July 2009
    ok here's some more:

Olivia the floor mop

2661_1119863882111_1392450150_30649.jpg

another of the boy and the dogs

2661_1119863842110_1392450150_30649.jpg

and great dane ava!

2661_1119863802109_1392450150_30649.jpg

Casual Eddy on
    edited July 2009
    How old is Ava? She is gorgeous.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited July 2009
    You didn't crop her ears?

Any particular reason?

King Riptor on
    edited July 2009

Any particular reason?

I've seen them go either way. Is it required/recommended?

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited July 2009
    Am I the only person who hates tail bobbing, ear cropping, or (in the case of cats) declawing?

It seems cruel.

jungleroomx on
    edited July 2009

Any particular reason?

I've seen them go either way. Is it required/recommended?

Well it's not required unless you want to have a show dog. It's the breed standard. I'd suppose there aren't any health issues like ear infections but you'd have to ask your vet. Though she's clearly a bit old to have it done now.
    Am I the only person who hates tail bobbing, ear cropping, or (in the case of cats) declawing?

It seems cruel.

De clawing a cat IS crule. It's like cutting your finger off at the first joint.

Ear cropping doesn't hurt the dog. In fact for most breeds it helps them perform their intended job better.

Tail bobbing I am fairly unfamiliar with so I won't offer an opinion on it.

King Riptor on
  • mystikspyralmystikspyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is Lady Bear, the dog in residence. I'll get some cute close up pictures of her off of my camera later. I love her half bat mask.
    Lady Bear playing in the snow.

fluppysnowdog2.jpg

ladybeardog2-1.jpg

Lady Bear at the beach

ladybear6.jpg

ladybear1.jpg

ladybear2-1.jpg

ladybear3.jpg

ladybear4.jpg

ladybear5.jpg

mystikspyral on
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'Fuck the lemons,' and bail" :rotate: