As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dogs] The joy of picking up poop in small plastic bags

12345679»

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For those of you in the US, how did your July 4th go?

I made the mistake of taking Eisley out during a big fireworks show about 100 yards away from my apartment. He was trying to run away, hug the ground, and watch the sky for impending doom at the same time. He didnt stop shivering until he went to sleep, and was wary to go outside the next day.

:(

Recently Jewel has been really freaked out by loud noises( mainly thunder) so I was careful to keep her inside or stay with her most of the day. It's odd she's never done this before anyone else have this issue with an older dog( like 12-14?)

I'm glad I live somewhere that doesn't have thunder.

The only thing Lady Bear appears to be afraid of is fireworks. She gets frantic, runs around the house, whines and generally flips out. We were all going to be out of the house watching the fireworks from a boat. We had to decide if it was better to leave the dog at home or take her with us. We decided she could be alone at home rather than directly under the giant explosions.

addition: My boyfriend wanted to stay at home with her but he ended up having to go.

My grandmother's dog would regularly escape from his pen when it would thunder.

So many times in fact the last time we couldn't find him.

To this day I wonder where he went.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kistra wrote: »
    So cute!

Did you get any sleep at all last night? How old is he?

We slept the first night, and then again Tuesday night. He is estimated at 3.5 months. Here are some more pictures.

Jack is actually very good. He is learning from Midnite, our 10 y.o. lab mix. He has an accident or two inside the condo each day, but we catch it and clean it and get him outside where he goes proper. He looks to us for affirmation and tries to mimic Midnite when we praise her. He has learned sit, so when we board the elevator he remains calm and patient. He does the same when Midnite is taking her time on our walks.

Midnite is adapting well. She is very introverted, so we had our concerns. She tolerates him inside the house, and snaps at him to correct him when he bothers her. We're keeping on eye on this so its just a correction and not just for the sake of being nasty. Midnite plays with him outside, and actually helped us get him used to water despite her distaste for getting wet.

Its certainly been exhausting, though. We do our best to get him tired out so we can get a good night's sleep. Our only trouble with him is crate training. Last night I was able to keep him in for a few hours by using one of the dog beds that he's grown attached to. He sleeps well in the bed with us, but that's been Midnite's sanctuary, and Jack is looking to grow into a big dog. We haven't started seriously crate training yet, because our first attempt was such a horrible experience for him. We've read up on some guides, and will be starting that very soon, though.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I love that second picture of Jack. He looks very mischevious.

Sounds like everything is going well and I hope it continues going well. I might have to start a new dogs thread in about 4 months to get some good seven month stupids stories.

It sounds like you have some good ideas on how to start, but here is my favorite way to introduce a dog to a crate: http://www.dragonflyllama.com/%20DOGS/Levels/LevelBehaviours/TL3Crate.html
    It is a pretty cool site. The lady that made it has all sorts of titles on her dogs and put together a free ebook about training. Plus she has lots of stories about her dogs that are fun to read.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For those of you in the US, how did your July 4th go?

I made the mistake of taking Eisley out during a big fireworks show about 100 yards away from my apartment. He was trying to run away, hug the ground, and watch the sky for impending doom at the same time. He didnt stop shivering until he went to sleep, and was wary to go outside the next day.

:(

Recently Jewel has been really freaked out by loud noises( mainly thunder) so I was careful to keep her inside or stay with her most of the day. It's odd she's never done this before anyone else have this issue with an older dog( like 12-14?)

I'm glad I live somewhere that doesn't have thunder.

The only thing Lady Bear appears to be afraid of is fireworks. She gets frantic, runs around the house, whines and generally flips out. We were all going to be out of the house watching the fireworks from a boat. We had to decide if it was better to leave the dog at home or take her with us. We decided she could be alone at home rather than directly under the giant explosions.

addition: My boyfriend wanted to stay at home with her but he ended up having to go.

My grandmother's dog would regularly escape from his pen when it would thunder.

So many times in fact the last time we couldn't find him.

To this day I wonder where he went.

My dog never liked July 4th. She would cower and whine at the door (she was kept in the yard; my mother didn't want her in the house) every year on the night of the fourth, wanting us to protect her from the booms. Same with thunder. When the Northridge earthquake hit, we went to go check on her, and as soon as we opened the door, she pushed passed us and ran into the house. She got through a couple rooms before we tackled her and pushed back out to the yard, mostly because we knew there was broken glass and pottery and we didn't want her getting hurt and was probably safer in the yard.

Funny thing is that my cat never seemed to care about the fireworks or thunder. We didn't see her for a week after the earthquake, though.

Very sad story ahead. Spoilered to give people the opportunity to not read it:
    My aunt's dog (a German Sheperd) hanged itself one July 4th many years ago. The dog was always hyperactive, and some of us felt that it probably should have been medicated. They had her tied up in the backyard in what they thought was a safe location, and went for a short walk. She apparently freaked out over the fireworks, as most dogs do, and attempted to jump the fence while still tied up. The line got caught on the top of the fence and she was hanged.

Dalboz on
    edited July 2009
    I love that second picture of Jack. He looks very mischevious.

Oh, he can be if we are not watching him. He's already eaten a pair of flip flops. Fortunately, the apartment is not too big that we lose track of him. Its actually helping my GF and I communicate better. :P He's definitely testing her patience.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hound dog pics, as promised:

This is Baxter the Beagle and Olivia the Basset hound:
    DSC00244.jpg

Same two dummies, plus our new guy Riley (in the middle):
    DSC00332.jpg

Yall on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I want a dog very badly, but right now I live with my sister, who studies literally 18-20 hours a day for her upcoming Medical Board exams. Also she has two cats. So the second she moves out (when her residency starts), I'm bringing home a dog. It will either be a Boxer, a Sibe, or a Great Pyrenees. I really would like a big (massive) dog, but I don't have enough room for one just yet, and I'm sure I'll be more than happy with any of the three previously mentioned breeds.

If I could have any dog I wanted, it would be a Tibetan Mastiff, or a Great Dane.

Also, for laughs:

giantEnglishMastiff.jpg

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
    edited July 2009
    So, our puppy's favorite toy is now a durable phallic dog with two mild squeakers. Its actually kind of amusing.

41CBhPpSX3L._AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Loofa-Dog-Support-Troops-Plush/dp/B001CSRESU/

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dogs love those kinda toys... they can really sling those around. We call them "slingables." Rodger will throw his all over the place. He tosses them up in the air sometimes and will catch them. And, if he's hungry or needs to poop, then he'll throw it at me.

GungHo on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dalboz wrote: »

Very sad story ahead. Spoilered to give people the opportunity to not read it:
    My aunt's dog (a German Sheperd) hanged itself one July 4th many years ago. The dog was always hyperactive, and some of us felt that it probably should have been medicated. They had her tied up in the backyard in what they thought was a safe location, and went for a short walk. She apparently freaked out over the fireworks, as most dogs do, and attempted to jump the fence while still tied up. The line got caught on the top of the fence and she was hanged.

That in general is why you never leave an exciteable dog unattended during fireworks.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just wanted to bring this thread back to life. Sorry for being a thread necro.

Make sure you guys all hold your babies tight tonight and make sure they know you love them. You never know when a day will be your last with them. Mine (Harvey; posted his photo earlier in this thread along with a photo of Wiley) had to be put down after turning 4 just 2-3 weeks ago. Ruptured disc and a surgery we couldn't afford (I'm up on H/A now).

The other is so depressed. I'm so depressed. I burst into tears looking at Wiley or anything in the house that has a connection to Harvey.

I miss my baby :(

Mim on
    edited July 2009
    Yall wrote: »
    DSC00332.jpg

The one on the left (Baxter was it?) is the spitting image of my dog. It's crazy. Even they way he's sitting.

King Riptor on
    edited July 2009
    Mim wrote: »

Harvey

woop083-1.jpg

Harvey: Why are you putting me in here?!

woop087-1.jpg

Harvey: You better not put this on the internet.

woop088-1.jpg
    Harvey: I'm serious.

I'm so sorry to hear what happened. I can only imagine what you are going through, I know I would be devastated.

Find all the pictures you have and print them out and make an album. Cry over it now and keep it forever to laugh over later.

Kistra on
    edited July 2009

Make sure you guys all hold your babies tight tonight and make sure they know you love them. You never know when a day will be your last with them. Mine (Harvey; posted his photo earlier in this thread along with a photo of Wiley) had to be put down after turning 4 just 2-3 weeks ago. Ruptured disc and a surgery we couldn't afford (I'm up on H/A now).

The other is so depressed. I'm so depressed. I burst into tears looking at Wiley or anything in the house that has a connection to Harvey.

That really sucks. My condolences.

King Riptor on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

when one of our jack russells died his best friend the bichon would carry around his invisible fence collar

it broke my heart.

Casual Eddy on
    edited July 2009
    DSC00332.jpg

The one on the left (Baxter was it?) is the spitting image of my dog. It's crazy. Even they way he's sitting.

Congrats then, on having one of the worlds cutest dogs! :P

Yall on
    edited July 2009

:cry:

That's gotta be the hardest part of being a dog owner.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited July 2009
    I've been looking for better dog food and biscuits for our dogs. We are now feeding them Wellness brand dry food (Senior and Puppy,) and the mature girl gets Dogswell Happy Hips Chicken Stew mixed in. They both seem to be of quality natural ingredients and the dogs seem to enjoy the food.

Biscuits have been a bit more difficult to narrow down a better product. Any tips? I've stuck with IAMs because I don't really know what to look for in the biscuits. I tried giving the pup Nutro Large Breed Puppy biscuits, but those appeared to make his stool soggy, and they don't seem all that much better than IAMs.

(edit) And before anyone suggests it, I am not going to start making homemade dog meals. I barely make food for myself. :lol:

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited July 2009
    Wellness is an excellent food. If you want to change there are other equally good foods in the same price range. You might like this site as a comparison tool: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

For treats I like Buddy biscuits, Paws Gourmet, charlee bears, kong tots (they are hard to find), and Zukes.

Most of the links are from amazon but that is simply because google found them there. I can find all of these at one of my local pet stores that sells higher end food and stuff but they are also available online at lots of different places for less.

Kistra on
    edited July 2009
    Wellness is an excellent food. If you want to change there are other equally good foods in the same price range. You might like this site as a comparison tool: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

For treats I like Buddy biscuits, Paws Gourmet, charlee bears, kong tots (they are hard to find), and Zukes.

Most of the links are from amazon but that is simply because google found them there. I can find all of these at one of my local pet stores that sells higher end food and stuff but they are also available online at lots of different places for less.

We're content with the food at this point. The biscuits are the difficult part. A lot contain by-product.

Thank you for the links!

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited July 2009

We're content with the food at this point. The biscuits are the difficult part. A lot contain by-product.

Thank you for the links!
    Looking back most of those aren't actually biscuits, so I apologize, but they are all really good treats!

One thing I have found is if there is a company that seems really good and they use by-products you should call and ask them exactly what they use because organ meats like heart are considered by-products but are actually very healthy for your dog.

Kistra on
    edited July 2009
    We have a petite girl in our condo building who owns an aggressive Shar-Pei. She walks the dog on a standard 6 foot leash and collar, and holds the leash at the end furthest from the dog. I've known this to be inadequate restraint, but for the past 10-12 months she has been good about avoiding other dogs.

The first day home with our pup, I am outside working on "Getting Busy." She comes out of the door, and she loses control of the Shar-Pei, who lunges for the pup. Between her wrestling control and me serving as a poor block (skinny legs), the dog break skin, but leaves behind some slobber on the neck. She then proceeds to tell me not to kick her dog. I was bit taken back, but didn't care to escalate the incident.

I report it to the condo admin, who can't do much aside from send out a warning letter (since she owns her condo, as do I,) but she told me to contact Animal Control. Animal Control says they will pay her a visit to check license and shots, as well as consult on her on proper restraint and the consequences of a successful attack.

Aside from that, I apparently have no recourse to protect my dogs or the others in our building from this girl and her poorly restrained dog. At the very least, I intend to bring up a discussion at our next condo meeting about what we can do to circumvent an issue like this in the future, possibly instating a barred breeds list, which unfortunately, would not apply to existing pets. I hate such lists, but the reality is, there are specific breeds that have very demanding requirements to maintain.

I'd take the issue up with this girl directly, but since the day she moved in, she has always had a shitty attitude with me, for no apparent reason. I make a point to be cordial and greet my neighbors when I see them out and about, but I never get a response from her other than a shit face. From what I've gathered, this appears to extend to other dog owners in the building, while others say she's the sweetest girl.

And a couple picture just because...
    3745309059_d803810797_b.jpg

Zombie Dog!
    3745313237_2a8b88e52e_b.jpg

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited July 2009
    Don't kick the dog. Kick the owner.

GungHo on
    edited July 2009
    I didn't kick her dog to begin with. I put my leg in between it and my pup so that at the very least, it didn't have a direct path to the pup.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited July 2009
    I know you didn't. You should have kicked the owner anyway. Next time you see her, give her a Liu Kang.

GungHo on
  • RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't see how a barred breeds list will solve your problem. You can still have an aggressive animal due to an irresponsible owner no matter what the breed is.

Rubick on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I'm considering whether or not to get a dog. Main issue is its alone time - I work 9-6 and though I can come back during lunch I'd rather not commit to it every day. How reasonable is it for a dog to stay home alone that long, at least sometimes? I would try to get a couch potato breed at least so it's not bouncing off the walls. I know our family dog could go all day without a bathroom break(and often did even if let outside) but does that depend much on the dog or just training?

Zek on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zek, a lot depends on the breed and training. My dogs now can stay home by themselves for long periods of time fine. But they are also all adult dogs. You really can't leave a puppy home alone for long periods of times. If you want some easy to train and calm dogs look into poodles and the like. I know a lot of people laugh at poodles but they are really intelligent, kind, loving dogs that are easy to train and can be very calm. You might look at adopting an adult if you don't have the time for a puppy.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    So I'm considering whether or not to get a dog. Main issue is its alone time - I work 9-6 and though I can come back during lunch I'd rather not commit to it every day. How reasonable is it for a dog to stay home alone that long, at least sometimes? I would try to get a couch potato breed at least so it's not bouncing off the walls. I know our family dog could go all day without a bathroom break(and often did even if let outside) but does that depend much on the dog or just training?

I would recommend just getting an older dog, if they've been in and out of shelters they'll already be used to long periods of time alone, they're energy level is usually way more manageable, and for the most part they seem to be generally appreciative of having someone around to hang out with.

Dark_Side on
    edited August 2009
    DSC00332.jpg

She certainly thinks so and constantly reminds us that it is fact not opinion.

I shit you not she learned to wink in response to us calling her.

King Riptor on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So what you're saying is that you have a dog version of Sarah Palin?

Dark_Side on
    edited August 2009
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that you have a dog version of Sarah Palin?

Oh no my dog follows through with things.

King Riptor on
    edited August 2009
    DSC00332.jpg

She certainly thinks so and constantly reminds us that it is fact not opinion.

I shit you not she learned to wink in response to us calling her.

That's too funny - he used to wink as well!

One of the best stories involving him was when we took him and his older companion (Buster the Beagle and we think Border Collie mix. RIP :( ) to visit my in-laws. The Mrs. and I were out, and her parents were home in bed. Her mom woke up to a very loud thumping sound, only to find Baxter dragging a 20lb bag of biscuits up their stairs.

That boy loves treats. Sometimes I think he has lived this long simply because we haven't run out of milkbones. :P

Yall on
    edited October 2009
    I swear, the hardest part of having a dog (probably any pet) is dealing with death. Its entirely worth it for the love and experiences shared, but its never easy.

Rest in peace Chandler, aka "Teeth of Fury"
    2583390618_4ef3048770.jpg
    2583415584_158770879c.jpg
    My aunt made the decision to put her down last night after seeing her in such a weak and frail state and felt she wanted to spare her dignity. She was a few months shy of 15.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited October 2009
    Oh, I'm so sorry Nailbunny.

Kistra on
    edited October 2009

Thanks. I'm pretty sure her undying love for my aunt is what kept her around this long. My aunt could not stay with her, though, so I did. I didn't want her to be without family when it happened.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Thanks. I'm pretty sure her undying love for my aunt is what kept her around this long. My aunt could not stay with her, though, so I did. I didn't want her to be without family when it happened.
    It's tough having to end it for them, but it's the humane thing to do. I'm always sorry that anyone has to go through that, but you're right; the love that made you that attached to them is totally worth the pain of losing them.

Much love, NB.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.