As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Square Enix's New Mystery Game - Guess the theme song

Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
Square Enix just launched a teaser site for some new game with the cryptic number "4" prefacing a concept art background. There's some really soft 8bit music playing in the background, which probably references a much older series.

My guess is that it's Romancing SaGa 4, but I can't be certain. Does the song playing in the background sound familiar to anyone?

Edit: Oops, here's the URL: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/0706/

Be sure to turn up the volume, to the max. It's really soft.

Sol Invictus on

• Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    don't give us a url or anything.

JJ on
  • Options
    Ashy LarryAshy Larry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fuck, man. He might think you were being sarcastic and give us an URL now. That would suck shit.

Ashy Larry on
    White people love sweaters.
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    http://www.square-enix.co.jp/0706/

With the number 4, maybe this has something to do with the "Four Warriors of Light" trademark that was recently filed? That sounds fairly final-fantasyish, color me interested.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sorry. I forgot to link the URL! Oops.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Probably remaking FF1 again, maybe this time on PS3 or Wii or something.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I doubt that. Why the "4"?

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Read my post -
    Zerokku wrote: »
    maybe this has something to do with the "Four Warriors of Light" trademark that was recently filed

Four Warriors of Light is a direct reference to several Final Fantasies, most notably the first.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

What Zerokku said, and my just being glib about the number of iterations/remakes/ports that game has had. The current gen consoles haven't gotten their own version yet.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's the fourth game in the Soul Blazer series.
    Hah, yeah I wish...

-SPI- on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sadly, I heard no song playing when the website loaded even though the speaker in the corner was definitely "on".

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hear nothing.

rayofash on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hopefully this won't be as disappointing as that bahamut thing that turned out to be some DS game.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I wonder if anyone can make out the music. That'd probably be the biggest clue.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Doubt it, why all the tease for a remake of the first if the biggest hint is the number 4? FF1 is very archaic with minimal plot. The shit they'd have to do to make it relevant beyond the interest of crazy fanboys would make it more than a remake of FF1.

JJ on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The volume is really goddamn low. I just turned up my speaker to the end of the dial and I could faintly hear it.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's a really quiet tune. Sounds fairly old school/8-bit in nature.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh the sound arbitrarily came back.

rayofash on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wonder if anyone can make out the music. That'd probably be the biggest clue.

Some have said it sounds like the original SaGa music. I don't know if it sounds like Kenji Ito though. A SaGa 4 would be amazing.

Joule on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SaGa 4 would be great and make more sense than another Final Fantasy 1.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I personally think it sounds a lot like the Romancing SaGa theme song, but I can't be 100% sure. It's in a different key.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It is clearly an announcement about the upcoming fourth installment in the Chrono series.

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    From Gaf -
    Tomomi Kobayashi (the artist for several SaGa games) mentioned doing something for Square Enix again on her blog.

She said it only around seven days ago.

http://www.kobayashi-tomomi.com/blog...php?itemid=156
    Here's a copy of the song from the Flash. It's much louder.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/w6qb9i

Does sound reminiscent of the original SaGa games.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Another SaGa game, if they could restrain their urge to make them suck, would be awesome. Needs to be more like the older titles and SaGa Frontier, and nothing like SF2/USaGa

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It is clearly an announcement about the upcoming fourth installment in the Chrono series.

My thought exactly.

No seriously, why the fuck haven't we gotten another Chrono game? Yea, yea, I know most involved in the original game don't work for square enough, but that didn't stop Cross from being fucking awesome.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

But wouldn't that require there ever having been a 3rd game?

Also, the art and music don't fit at all.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

But wouldn't that require there ever having been a 3rd game?

Also, the art and music don't fit at all.

Chrono Trigger
    Radical Dreamers
    Chrono Cross

That leaves us with Chrono Break being the fourth. Of course there's no way in hell that'll be it, but yah...

Zerokku on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »

My thought exactly.

No seriously, why the fuck haven't we gotten another Chrono game? Yea, yea, I know most involved in the original game don't work for square enough, but that didn't stop Cross from being fucking awesome.

Because they pretty much did everything they could with it in the first game?

jothki on
  • Options
    ethicalseanethicalsean Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, it sounds very similar to the gameboy Saga games. Didn't they announce a DS remake for the second game though?

ethicalsean on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, it sounds very similar to the gameboy Saga games. Didn't they announce a DS remake for the second game though?

What better way to build up hype? Just look at the DQ IV and V remakes before IX releases.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I say it's going to be some deliberately retro styled RPG.

With 8-bit/16 bit graphics.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Pata wrote: »

That would suck. I want to see Square, or really, *ANYONE* do a beautiful 2D RPG with backgrounds that look like the illustration on the site on a modern console.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2009
    Pata wrote: »

That would suck. I want to see Square, or really, *ANYONE* do a beautiful 2D RPG with backgrounds that look like the illustration on the site on a modern console.

An HD sprite RPG would be so dreamy~ Just thinking of an RPG that looks as good Odin Sphere or Oboro Muramasa... le sigh...

Aroduc on
  • Options
    kurokazekurokaze Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's surprising how many options there are for a 'fourth' Squenix game. I guess three is the magic number for fantasy games just like it is (or used to be) for fantasy book series?

I don't know that much about SaGa and never played any of them for more than a few minutes, but I thought the games had little to do with one another (like Final Fantasy) and that means there would be little reason to drop the platform-based naming scheme for non-remake installments and produce a Romancing SaGa 4 for a non-SNES console. It would be much more logical to just make it SaGa 4, anyway, but people keep suggesting Romancing instead for some reason.

Anyway, IMO there's little to no chance that this isn't the Warriors of Light thing, and my personal belief on what that is most likely to be is some sort of creative reimagining of Final Fantasy that either brings the entire package (story) up to par with what we'd expect from a modern story-driven game, or does something entirely new and innovative (while probably upgrading the story somewhat).

Soul Blazer 4 would be hot though.

kurokaze on
    atehim.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    SaGa's kinda goofy....I mean, it could be SaGa 4, or Romancing SaGa 4, and either one would fit (and be totally unrecognizable to most of the people they'd hope to sell it to).

I'm trying to think of what other "4s" there could be, aside from the already mentioned 4 light warriors.

edit: FF1 in the White Engine and looking as nice as FFXIII, along with a fully orchestrated score would rock my fucking world, especially if they included revamped job system. And now I've gone and gotten myself excited about something that's not happening.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    kurokazekurokaze Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm trying to think of what other "4s" there could be, aside from the already mentioned 4 light warriors.

There's lots of possibilities if you're willing to stretch a bit. And since it's already a pretty huge stretch to think that this is neither Four Warriors of Light (trademark + old school music) nor SaGa 4 (recent SaGa development + old school music), we can go nuts.

Note that this list completely ignores whether it fits the old-school music or whimsical-ish fantasy art hints.
    Chrono Break (if you count Radical Dreamers)
    Final Fantasy Tactics (if you count A1 and A2 as 2 and 3 - or perhaps one could count Vagrant Story and FFXII as the two other large/serious/not-side-story games set in Ivalice)
    Soul Blazer (Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma)
    Parasite Eve (3 has been announced for a while, an announcement for 4 is no less out of the question than some of the other stuff on this list)
    Valkyrie Profile (if you count Covenant of the Plume)
    Ogre Battle (uses Star Wars style episodes - the first is Episode 5 - and I don't believe an episode 4 has been released)
    Xenogears (exactly the same situation as Ogre Battle)

Seiken Densetsu is worth mentioning, since I've seen it brought up as a possibility for this, but there actually was a SD4 in Japan after everyone stopped paying attention to the series. I think it was the one called World of Mana here.

kurokaze on
    atehim.jpg
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2009
    kurokaze wrote: »
    Ogre Battle (uses Star Wars style episodes - the first is Episode 5 - and I don't believe an episode 4 has been released)

They've only made 5, 7, and 6, in that order. I don't think we're ever going to get 1-4... or even 8 to finish off the whole Lodis storyline.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jothki wrote: »

My thought exactly.

If we got a game with a new story, but the same combat mechanics from Chrono Trigger...

Yea, I think that's what folks are wanting.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

My thought exactly.

If we got a game with a new story, but the same combat mechanics from Chrono Trigger...

Yea, I think that's what folks are wanting.

Like Final Fantasy X-2? People didn't seem to like that so much.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

4=die in Japan.

TWEWY SEQUEL

EDIT:I'm stupid, it's FFLegend 4, listen to the music.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    kurokaze wrote: »
    Seiken Densetsu is worth mentioning, since I've seen it brought up as a possibility for this, but there actually was a SD4 in Japan after everyone stopped paying attention to the series. I think it was the one called World of Mana here.
    I wouldn't say that's it's worth mentioning considering what came out of the World of Mana compilation (SD4, Princess of Mana, Heroes of Mana and Children of Mana). SD4 was called Dawn of Mana here. Not that they were all bad games but they could of used a lot more polish.

The heaven and earth games by Quintet (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma) do have a sort of spiritual successor in the form of The Granstream Saga.

Joule on